• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Rizen

Smash Legend
I personally feel Phantom fits Zelda's "implied" type of playstyle its just Phantom needs some tweaks to make it usable as a whole not here and there.
I agree. I can see how phantom creates a wall for Zelda and Din's and Farow's can attack through it so her moves were planned to work together.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I see the Phantom as more defensive move. Since you force the opponent to either attack the Phantom, jump, roll or run past it. Which could lead to a few mindgames.

Also, am I the only one who wouldn't mind there being a Mario & Luigi game where you have Peach as a playable party member?

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
As of now the only character I've found Phantom to be useful is actually against Jigglypuff. If you just throw it out right in front of you, Puff is too slow to dash through your phantom and dash grab you to punish. It kinda acts like a meaty shield and almost none of her moves actually can go through the phantom to hit you, and she has to mostly resort to Bair to hit you and break the phantom if it isn't stale. Forcing her to use Bair because of the Phantom limits her approach options and stales her best kill move which is amazing.

In theory I think it should work well against Wii Fit Trainer as well, seeing as her aerials don't have great range to punish the use of the phantom, and the phantom can be used to block soccer balls and non-charged suns. It should also work against Luigi but I'm so bad at the MU I dunno where to start :^(

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
As of now the only character I've found Phantom to be useful is actually against Jigglypuff. If you just throw it out right in front of you, Puff is too slow to dash through your phantom and dash grab you to punish. It kinda acts like a meaty shield and almost none of her moves actually can go through the phantom to hit you, and she has to mostly resort to Bair to hit you and break the phantom if it isn't stale. Forcing her to use Bair because of the Phantom limits her approach options and stales her best kill move which is amazing.

In theory I think it should work well against Wii Fit Trainer as well, seeing as her aerials don't have great range to punish the use of the phantom, and the phantom can be used to block soccer balls and non-charged suns. It should also work against Luigi but I'm so bad at the MU I dunno where to start :^(
Phantom Strike works very well against Luigi and the normal Phantom is too slow, then again you need customs on ;(

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere

Using Phantom against Luigi sounds like a death wish tbh

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788

Puff's dash attack doesn't go through? It's decently fast and travels a pretty good distance.
And what's stopping her from going over it or air dodging through it?

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo

Wiit Fit has mobility and bair. She can run through it and her grab range is p good, its just that it doesn't reach people when they're short/croaching

Last edited:

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Also, am I the only one who wouldn't mind there being a Mario & Luigi game where you have Peach as a playable party member?
That kinda messes up the even number of people dynamic they have though. 4 in partners in time and 2 for the rest..

still, that's be cool.

There's still Super Mario RPG at least.

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
Wiit Fit has mobility and bair. She can run through it and her grab range is p good, its just that it doesn't reach people when they're short/croaching
WFT's grab range is like, ever shorter than Zelda's. What are you sniffing, and where can I get some of it?

WFT is a lot faster than Jiggs tho and prob run past phantom.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That kinda messes up the even number of people dynamic they have though. 4 in partners in time and 2 for the rest..

still, that's be cool.

There's still Super Mario RPG at least.
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam has 3 characters, Mario, Luigi, and Paper Mario.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Phantom Strike works very well against Luigi and the normal Phantom is too slow, then again you need customs on ;(
My region is actually going to vote to ban customs so RIP chances of using Phantom Strike against Luigis :^(
Using Phantom against Luigi sounds like a death wish tbh
IDK don't use it in point blank of course, it's more to discourage Luigi to spam fireballs at a distance. If he doesn't powershield it he will slide too far to punish you with a grab too. But it's pretty disheartening to have a MU that kinda relies on a mistake on the opponent's approach to actually get something done :/
Puff's dash attack doesn't go through? It's decently fast and travels a pretty good distance.
And what's stopping her from going over it or air dodging through it?
Haven't tested it with dash attack but most Puffs won't resort to dash attack I would think. Again, Phantom is not being used as an attack on Puff, but more of a shield against her aerial pressure since most of her limbs actually don't go through the Phantom. She can jump over it and/or airdodge it but then she won't have enough time to punish Zelda in time if she throws the Phantom out in the neutral correctly. Again, this is with some MU experience but it is limited and requires more testing than just theorycraft.
Seems like I didn't make it clear that I meant to use Phantom in neutral, not when the opponent is right in front of you, haha. But it can discourage WFT to not camp as much and deviate a bit from her gameplan. IDK if her dash grab can go through Phantom (will have to test), Bair is fine I guess but it's risky for WFT as it doesn't autocancel from a shorthop. A mistiming of the attack can get punished easily.

THIS IS ALL THEORYCRAFT OF ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A TERRIBLE MOVE BETTER SO TAKE IT ALL WITH A GRAIN OF SALT GORLS I'M TRYING TO BE OPTIMISTIC FOR ONCE

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Just watched Nakat's tutorial on Lucas... Why can Lucas recover from that far? He was in the lower corner of the screen and still was able to shoot back! Sure, the end part has Lucas slowing down, but really? Then there's his tether recovery... Meanwhile, Dr. Mario.

Edit: I just realized that FullMoon mains characters with really good recoveries... Now all you have to do is pocket a Sheik or ZSS. :p

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
some1 thinks pichu is better in melee and im like wat
I know you're talking about me

Someone on Anther's got mad at me because I killed them with Zelda's back throw

They were using Ness
Lol sometimes I specifically try to do this. Also getting 90% kills without rage with charizard on dreamland with uthrow

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Just watched Nakat's tutorial on Lucas... Why can Lucas recover from that far? He was in the lower corner of the screen and still was able to shoot back! Sure, the end part has Lucas slowing down, but really? Then there's his tether recovery... Meanwhile, Dr. Mario.

Edit: I just realized that FullMoon mains characters with really good recoveries... Now all you have to do is pocket a Sheik or ZSS. :p
there are like four characters in this game that don't have really good recoveries

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
i just grilled lettuce

i'll see you all next tuesday on my new tv show on food network tyvm

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Re: Phantom

I'm...actually finding uses for this move. I use it fairly often in my matches.

I use it for/when:
- I'm getting overwhelmed with projectiles
- Clearing the ledge
- A landing option (call me crazy BUT it's actually effective against characters that don't run at Sheik speed)
- Retreating Phantom to get someone off me
- Stalling so I can figure out what to do next (for example: getting up from the ledge and shooting a random Phantom to make them stop and shield)
- Getting someone to airdodge when recovering, putting them in a position to get spiked (Din's works just as well)
- Turtling

I might be just a little crazy...

I'd like to see the move tweaked some more though. Less lag would be very nice, and more favorable hitboxes would be welcome.

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Just finished episode 16 of both Gintama 2015 and Ore Monogatari!!
These will be set as spoilers to avoiding spoiling it for anyone else who are watching these shows right now.

Reaper Arc came to a close and I really liked it.
Asaemon becoming Ikeda Yaemon was cool, and how she "executed" the Yorozuya was pretty cool. And with how she cut off links to her past was cool too.

This also makes me feel good. :3
Nice to see Saijou confess to him, but I was rooting for Takeo to turn her down because obvious reasons. And seems like we might be getting a new OP/ED next week. I hope.
Also, the chemistry between Saijou and Yamato was very nice. :yeahboi:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
I cry because :4jigglypuff: doesn't have a :GCU::GCB: recovery that has a hitbox
I played against a jigglypuff. He used sing, and to punish it, I thought I'd use electroshock. Well, it still put me to sleep and I slid like 20 feet. So he used sing again all of a sudden, and this time tried to punish it with dp's fsmash. Well, put me to sleep again and made me slide 20 feet. Two free rests >_>

Last edited:

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
I actually don't think Ike's recovery is that bad. Maybe my recovery standards are too low, considering I went through Brawl Ike's recovery.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I played against a jigglypuff. He used sing, and to punish it, I thought I'd use electroshock. Well, it still put me to sleep and I slid like 20 feet. So he used sing again all of a sudden, and this time tried to punish it with dp's fsmash. Well, put me to sleep again and made me slide 20 feet. Two free rests >_>
Yeah sing's weird :/

I think there's only 3 parts in where you can put the opponent to sleep

And you wanna attack from above to punish or use projectiles but :4darkpit: lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom