• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Our love parts this very moment, and I'm afraid Jurassic Park can't remedy it U_U.
D:

OOT is my favorite Zelda game, but I do enjoy a lot of the other installments, like WW, so we good, we good.
Omg @ 2004Zilla 2004Zilla I didn't notice it was an extended Groose's theme and I let it play forever 8U
The Groose has been let loose.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I had to skip a few pages, sorry if I missed something.

Rosalina and Brawl MK fit in the same category for me. I really like their characters from the games they were in but not how they play in SSBs. Rosalina was the one Mario character with dignity and her story to the lil Lumas was so sweet. :b:

The rule 34 thing is usually best avoided imo. It's not my thing and I agree that Rosalina doesn't need to be sexualized. I'm not trying to be a hater or anything; it's just not my cup of tea.
I just like to go to smashboards to not see a bunch of weird fan art (and I mean that in an over the top way, not like the fun we have here). It's supposed to be a vanilla site. :ohwell:

The Zelda series is awesome. I'm so hyped for Zelda U! :awesome:

micstar615

Smash Ace
Thanks.
Maybe if I stop worrying about everything, everything will be ok and things will stop.

I feel really bad for her. Nobody deserves to be pestered like that.
Has she ever complained about it?? Has it caused distance between you two? If not then there's nothing to worry about man!

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
The rule 34 thing is usually best avoided imo. It's not my thing and I agree that Rosalina doesn't need to be sexualized. I'm not trying to be a hater or anything; it's just not my cup of tea.
I just like to go to smashboards to not see a bunch of weird fan art (and I mean that in an over the top way, not like the fun we have here). It's supposed to be a vanilla site. :ohwell:
Yeah, I go on Danbooru sometimes, and usually I get traumatized by what I see there.

Then I found out you could safe search.

Last edited:

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
The whole "3 day cycle" things still stresses me out beyond belief. Even with the slowed time, I feel that I'm not going fast enough and I'll run out of time.

It's really lame, but MM makes me nervous lol
Dw I feel the same way! It's probably really dumb, but having not played it, I feel like I'd run out of time constantly.

is the person you're talking about a mod?

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Dw I feel the same way! It's probably really dumb, but having not played it, I feel like I'd run out of time constantly.

is the person you're talking about a mod?
I think it actually takes a while for the 3 days to go by, so it's not like it's hard to avoid, but it's always there in the back of my mind while playing, nagging me.

Mario and sonic guy is pretty okay, imo, if that's who you mean. But no, it's not him. tbh, i think we should drop it because i don't wanna cause anymore drama and it was stupid of me to bring this guy up anyway. i just feel bad now for starting this :/

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Play the Inverted Song of Time, and plan each 3-Day cycle for a dungeon/collection quest/checkpoint. You'll have plenty of time to spare.

Isn't the other trick to double the first few notes of the song of time or something? tbh i don't even remember what that does
Fast forwards six hours.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
I like the OP music.

In fact, I like it so much, I'mma repost it.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Every Zelda features a new mechanic. MM handled time management as well as it could possibly have for its time. It's understandably a hit-or-miss, but for the majority who enjoyed it, it was a massive, massive hit. I would strongly recommend against letting the idea of time management hold you back from playing it.

MM was my first video game ever. I purchased it along with my N64 back in 2000 when I was 6, with my hard-earned money from shoveling snow. After learning about the Inverted Song of Time from the scarecrow, time was no longer an issue at all for me save for the Spider Dungeons.

Of course, it was only years later that I realized how MM was a master piece.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm not sure if I should stick to just Official Nintendo pieces or occasionally wander into the realm of fan pieces. There's a lot of good music from older handhelds like Ages/Seasons/Awakening that simply isnt done justice on the Gameboy.

Breadloaf

Smash Apprentice
Every Zelda features a new mechanic. MM handled time management as well as it could possibly have for its time. It's understandably a hit-or-miss, but for the majority who enjoyed it, it was a massive, massive hit. I would strongly recommend against letting the idea of time management hold you back from playing it.

MM was my first video game ever. I purchased it along with my N64 back in 2000 when I was 6, with my hard-earned money from shoveling snow. After learning about the Inverted Song of Time from the scarecrow, time was no longer an issue at all for me save for the Spider Dungeons.

Of course, it was only years later that I realized how MM was a master piece.
Lets talk about what really made MM so great, SIDEQUESTS!

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Lets talk about what really made MM so great, SIDEQUESTS!
I remember not being able to comprehend Kafei being turned into a kid, and somehow just excused the whole dialogue as just a screw up from whoever wrote it. I thought Anju and Kafei were mother and son and Anju's mother was an evil woman trying to keep them apart.

Rated E for everyone, kids.

Oh, and the moon dungeons were the stuff of nightmares. Took forever to finish.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Fuuuuuuuu lil mac is so scary to me.
I'm so awful at that match up.

Then I try to hit him off stage and die.

smh
Basically me. Except Zelda has it worse, unfortunately.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if I should stick to just Official Nintendo pieces or occasionally wander into the realm of fan pieces. There's a lot of good music from older handhelds like Ages/Seasons/Awakening that simply isnt done justice on the Gameboy.
Fan music is a huge part of the reason I love Zelda music. I'd suggest including some of it but at a limit.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
OoT was a product of its time (pun intended), what it did to gaming in 1998 was astounding.

I neither find it overrated or underrated. It receives just the amount of respect that it deserves. Most people I see who seriously attempt to point out OoT's "flaws" are rather pretentious, honestly, just as much as those who continuously go on about other Zelda games never surpassing it in quality.
I'm gonna take the maybe unintentional bait/stone here, and elaborate on my own personal criticism of the game, this coming from someone who's worked on the game development industry for some years now.

Ocarina of Time was indeed pretty revolutionary. It was the first game of its kind to make the jump to the 3D world, this in a time in which Nintendo was experimenting with a lot of different titles that covered a lot of different genres, even though the game did take some sweet time to come out, and thus had a lot of other good adventure games preceeding it. However, Zelda was a big franchise and any mistake could ruin it.

Obviously, Ocarina wasn't a mistake.

However, it's not a masterpiece, either. I'd say it's more a VERY successful experiment. Ocarina was one of the first serious attempts by Nintendo to make some much more complex game systems. There was a ton of items, a ton of places, a ton of characters, a ton of sidequests, etc. The game itself required a lot of "modes" to be played, often having to switch between third person to first, needing a completely dettached battle system that couldn't combine with the exploration and puzzle solving element, and a massive amount of patterns that repeat themselves over and over again within the game.

Now, the combination isn't flawed by itself. I mean, the game was still super enjoyable to play, and it's extremely memorable due to the quality of the material, but the way all of the elements I previously mentioned actually interact with each other once you throw game progression in is very, very sketchy, at least gameplay wise. They had to look for a ton of ways to implement Link's massive array of tools, and the game got a little bit more complex than they knew how to handle back then. What happened next is that they had so many items that did different things that they had to look for very simple ways to make use of these items, and thus a lot of puzzles got super simplified.

Due to this, Ocarina was the first Zelda game that used a lot of "bad habits" in the series. Repeating puzzles, enemy patterns, and much more notably repeatedly predictable boss battles. One of the reasons TP, WW and SS are so easy is because of these bad habits. Bosses always involve a simple process in which you will always use the dungeon's item against them. The process is repeated three times and bam, you won. The only possible exception to this rule is maybe Phantom Ganon. The rest of them involve you watching the boss move around the stage while you wait to use your item. The puzzles are somewhat the same, with few exceptions far inbetween, WW being the lesser perpetrator of these patterns. The games even let you know what item you need to use by giving you the necessary ammunition inside pots (arrows, bombs, etc).

The one Zelda game post-Ocarina that avoided this almost entirely is Majora's Mask. Majora's has some incredible puzzles that make use of enemies, tools and terrain for you to advance. Remember having to freeze that octorok in Great Bay Temple in order to use it as a block? Or the enemies in Stone Tower that you need to flip upside down in order for them to press switches for you. There are a lot of great puzzles in MM, but gameplay wise, where the game shines the most is in the boss battle design. There is no unique way to kill the bosses of that game, unlike Ocarina and the rest. Every boss has at least three ways to be killed, and the boss battles are always active. You use different items (and masks) that become available at many different parts of the game, which makes progression much more unpredictable and surprising. Even Twinmold, the only "offender" of the dungeon item pattern, was something no one could have seen coming because the Giant's Mask only works in that room.

I mention Majora's Mask because once you compare the two games' systems you realize how different they are in terms of design, even when running on exactly the same engine and having exactly the same item mechanics. Once I looked at that I realized that with MM Nintendo actually managed to polish what they first experimented with in Ocarina of Time, and I think they were well aware of their slip ups. They learned very very well, and that alone is enough to give a lot of merit to OoT.

Whether or not this is pretentious ****ing in your opinion I will leave up to you, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the game.

None of this means I think Ocarina is a bad game, in case that wasn't clear by the first paragraph, nor do I think it doesn't deserve the recognition and respect it gets. It's still a pioneering game, and a pretty ****ing good one at it.

------------------

Well, fan music produced this:

So I'd say you better use fan music sometimes :'D

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I don't particularly see that as a flaw. The inexperience of the development team in building a 3D game, let alone a 3D Zelda, and the sins of future Zeldas in failing to rectify problems that they had solid answers for in MM are, I find, quite irrelevant to OoT. The frontier OoT looked to expand to was sufficient enough in offering a revolutionary experience for the player.

No, it's not ****ing. Your perspective on the game design is much appreciated. The "flaws" I meant in that post were ones that people apply to critiques of games these days, like "the world is too empty" or "sword combat is simplistic." Find a time machine to 1998, when people are first overwhelmed with the scale and atmosphere of OoT, and see whether people take you seriously with those complaints. OoT was a product of its time, surpassed in quality by the very next Zelda.

Slightly off-topic, I heard they initially wanted to make Ganon in OoT massive. Like, Shadow of the Colossus massive. With the final battle pitting you against him while he tramples all over Hyrule. Hardware limitations prevented them from doing so.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
In other news, we got a 3-hour general blackout in town. It was funny but kinda annoying,
Also I got to do nothing because I haven't payed my cellphone bill....

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Can't I believe I actually did listen to Groose's theme to help me doodle.

Anyways, off to bed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Peach is such a cute character and I love her but her mains are insane. They're all either waifu fegs or condescending ***holes.
But.......but.....I'm not a waifu feg or a condescending ***hole ._.
*cries*

Latte

Smash Ace
The Peach mains I've seen over in the Peach boards have all been pretty nice, actually. That said, I've only visited the Peach boards a few times.

D

Deleted member

The Peach mains I've seen over in the Peach boards have all been pretty nice, actually. That said, I've only visited the Peach boards a few times.
WE ARE ALL NICE PEOPLE. WE'RE THE FRIENDLIEST PEOPLE YOU WILL EVER MEET.
Okay I actually dont know that many Peach mains LOL.

Latte

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I kind of wish I was a member of SB during the prime of the gay Peach boards. Where did all of the members go? Did they drop Peach in SSB4?
why would they drop peach when they got that U air
GAY PRIDE

Top Bottom