• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

micstar615

Smash Ace
Nintendo NEEDS Zelda Wii U out this year, it's their biggest game of the year and they need it if they want this year to be a success. Xenoblade, Yoshi and Splatoon are great but Zelda is one of their high tier franchises and they need at least one of those since we aren't getting another Smash, Mario Kart, 3D Mario or console Pokemon anytime soon.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
When I find people who speak Spanish and are from Mexico here in the Zelda social:

Farorae

Smash Ace
SS disappointed me. It was an alright game but to me it just didn't feel like Zelda, and that stamina bar ughhhhhhh. TP was the last console zelda game I enjoyed and I really liked that (not including WWHD because I played that back when WW came out originally). ALBW was also awesome imo.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I really loved Twilight Princess except everything about Wolf Link. Too bad that's about a third of the game...

edit: Hyrule Warriors style bosses? YES.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
I didn't love SS for a lot of reasons, the motion controls were all right but not my cup of tea. The handholding and linear gameplay is not something that fits what Zelda is supposed to be about imo. The music wasn't as jaw dropping to me, and the story was subpar, could've gone without some of the obvious tropes, I prefer the more gritty, fantasy driven storyline of games like OOT and TP. Loved Ghirahm, Groose and Impa though.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I enjoyed TP and SS, but nowhere near as much as I enjoyed MM and WW. Forget OoT.

Linearity and lack of content-filled environments hurt TP, and SS screwed it up even more. SS left an especially bitter taste in my mouth, considering how Aonuma went on about how he was thikning about changing up the dungeon->field->dungeon formula. Which, admitted SS did, but all it amounted to was backtracking, something Metroid Prime had done a decade earlier far better.

It's funny, considering how much I loved ST. ST was extremely enchanting.

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
SS was terrible. I really wanted to like it, but just no. That game was annoyingly like a school tour of a theme park or a museum, with the guide leading you by taking your hand.

@ ZombieBran ZombieBran I also hated wolf Link! Tbh that was the part that made me think TP was just "okay." The scene in which you enter the Temple of Time, though. When those choirs gently started singing I got goosebumps.

I didn't love SS for a lot of reasons, the motion controls were all right but not my cup of tea. The handholding and linear gameplay is not something that fits what Zelda is supposed to be about imo. The music wasn't as jaw dropping to me, and the story was subpar, could've gone without some on the obvious tropes, I prefer the more gritty, fantasy driven storyline of games like OOT and TP. Loved Ghirahm, Groose and Impa though.
Omg the music in SS is SO BAD at certain points. I think the Ballad of the Goddess and some of the boss battle themes are really good, but then you have things like this piece of crap:

I mean seriously, wtf were they thinking?!?!

The one thing SS did excel at is character design. But Zelda has always had pretty good character designs, so that at least was the one thing that lived up to the name.

Last edited:

Farorae

Smash Ace
Those Zelda handhelds tho....I think the only one's I enjoyed were four swords, albw, alttp (my first zelda), and minish cap. I quit most of the "toon" Zelda handhelds like Spirit Tracks within minutes, the Phantom Hourglass I played pretty far into tho but it was still just good not great.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Before ALBW, Minish Cap was the only handheld title that realized the foundations of Zelda. The Kinstones were an awesome feature for incentivizing exploration. The plot was sound, the exploration was intense with a packed yet decently sized overworld, NPCs were charming, the dungeons and dungeon bosses were nasty, it did everything well.

To this date, it's my favorite Zelda. Console Zeldas have provided for more immersion and intense, emotionally charged experiences, but DAMN Minish Cap had charm written everywhere that has yet to be topped, imo. ALBW came close, and while ST was a fun game, its linearity and restricted world are stark cons.

Last edited:

Latte

Smash Ace
I absolutely love every Zelda game that I've played. I'm not sure why, but I've never actually finished one.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I've only fully completed Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Phantom Hourglass. WW and TP are tied for me, since I love both of them for different reasons. PH is way below them on my "list". I like how it was a sequel to WW, but I felt like it wasn't as immersive as the console ones. Also that Temple of the Ocean King...:mad:

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
If i knew that the mopcina image would be so popular i would have photoshopped it better.

Latte

Smash Ace
Why is my FG win rate for Smash Wii U 15%, while my FG win rate for Smash 3DS is 70%+. This is depressing.

Farorae

Smash Ace
If i knew that the mopcina image would be so popular i would have photoshopped it better.
My friend got fire emblem the other day and she was saying how perfect Lucina was and I had to teach her a lesson about Mopcina and why Zelda is better. Anyways you should photoshop Zelda holding Shulk's swim trunks :)

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Majora's Mask best Zelda game, no question. Particularly enjoyed the Zora/Goron/Deku masks, but everything about that game in general is just great.

Wind Waker is probably #2, except the triforce hunt at the end was really unfun.

After that I don't really have an established order between aLttP, TP, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, the Oracle games, or Link's Awakening. Phantom Hourglass would probably have been #3 if they didn't overdo the touch screen controls.

OoT felt overrated and bleh to me when I was younger. Maybe I'd think differently now but we'll never know because I'm too grossed out by Jabu Jabu's Belly.

Why is my FG win rate for Smash Wii U 15%, while my FG win rate for Smash 3DS is 70%+. This is depressing.
Clearly the Olimars are out for blood now that their Pikmin aren't braindead.

Or maybe Wii U FD blinded you permanently.

Farorae

Smash Ace
Also here's a different angle of that captain falcon I posted the other day lol
dat bulge!

Last edited:

LordCarlisle

Smash Cadet
NNID
thedivinity
Majora's Mask best Zelda game, no question. Particularly enjoyed the Zora/Goron/Deku masks, but everything about that game in general is just great.

Wind Waker is probably #2, except the triforce hunt at the end was really unfun.

After that I don't really have an established order between aLttP, TP, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, the Oracle games, or Link's Awakening. Phantom Hourglass would probably have been #3 if they didn't overdo the touch screen controls.

OoT felt overrated and bleh to me when I was younger. Maybe I'd think differently now but we'll never know because I'm too grossed out by Jabu Jabu's Belly.

Clearly the Olimars are out for blood now that their Pikmin aren't braindead.

Or maybe Wii U FD blinded you permanently.
I can assure you as an Olimar main that it's the former.

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
So gurls when are we gonna handle them Peach mains...*cough*

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788

A few random thoughts of mine:

Is Majora's Mask actually as great as everyone claims? I've played like 1/2 of it on an emulator before it crashed and I lost my save. Anyway, I found the 3 day system to be kind of annoying. I understand that's it was pretty innovative to the series, but it felt kind of meh to me. It felt like a hassle to play the song of time every 3 seconds to avoid getting destroyed by the terrifying moon.

Wind Waker is by far my favorite Zelda game I've played. I've only played the remake so I didn't have to go through the entire triforce quest but even the 4-5 pieces I had to get were just hell. Chasing that ****ing ghost ship is the worst. Other than that, I thought it was great. The cell-shading was cute and the story was simple yet touching. WW also has AMAZING music. The Ocean theme and Dragon Roost are soooo good.

I agree with you on Jabu Jabu's Belly; it's by far the worst part of OoT. That dungeon is 90% why I didn't even touch that game for like 3 years. The music is too good to resist though. Every time I play, I sit it in the Hyrule Castle Garden and jam to Zelda's Lullaby for like 15 minutes before moving on. (and Lon Lon Ranch's theme is fantastic, too. Malon singing is life).

Seriously, OoT probably has the best soundtrack of any game I've ever played.

edit:
So gurls when are we gonna handle them Peach mains...*cough*
Peach is such a cute character and I love her but her mains are insane. They're all either waifu fegs or condescending ***holes.
We should wait at least a week for the next field trip, though. We can't have them expect us.

At least they're not as bad as Irrelevina mains. I mean damn, Irrelevina was my most wanted character to get in Smash 4 but when they start creating threads to discuss her breast size... That's when I draw the line.

Last edited:

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
I never played the original oot but the hd version of jabu jabu's belly did not bother me at all. Biased though reminded me of that part of ape escape where you walked into the belly so felt nostalgic skipping along in there.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Is Majora's Mask actually as great as everyone claims? I've played like 1/2 of it on an emulator before it crashed and I lost my save. Anyway, I found the 3 day system to be kind of annoying. I understand that's it was pretty innovative to the series, but it felt kind of meh to me. It felt like a hassle to play the song of time every 3 seconds to avoid getting destroyed by the terrifying moon.
I actually don't hear much praise for MM compared to OoT/LttP/TP/WW :V I can certainly understand why people wouldn't like it with the constant need to reset to day 1, but even speaking as someone that loathes time limits I didn't find it to be that big a deal. That said I was in it more for masks than time shenanigans.

Unrelated to the rest of your post but I hated how Twilight Princess handled items. We get all these brilliant items like the Spinner and the Dominion Rod that are easily some of my favorite ideas in the series, and then they're only relevant for their respective dungeons and maybe one or two spots outside of that at best.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Hyrule Warriors did the Dominion Rod and Spinner justice =)

I agree though, I disliked how amazing the concept behind those items were only for them to essentially be used as keys for one dungeon each.

Last edited:

micstar615

Smash Ace
At least they're not as bad as Irrelevina mains. I mean damn, Irrelevina was my most wanted character to get in Smash 4 but when they start creating threads to discuss her breast size... That's when I draw the line.
These types of people are really annoying. Rosalina is one of my favorite characters personality wise and play style wise but the annoying pervy fans relegate her to her gender. I don't even understand how they find Rosalina, who is basically a disney character with the massive head and all to be sexually attractive. I get Samus but idg Rosalina :/ I still main her and love her though but I don't go on her threads. I'm sure the Mario mains would find it annoying if I talked about Mario's **** size. I do think talking about a character's appeal is ok but u gotta look at the context and the place.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Honestly, I didn't get into the LoZ series until I played TP 5 years ago. Then I did Skyward Sword OoT MM and WW.

Overall if I had to make a list, it'd look something like this.

1. Majora's Mask
2. Twilight Princess
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Skyward Sword and Wind Waker tied.

If I had to go into more intricate detail... that's for another post. If want decent reviews for the game, but a ****** guy that has humongous nostalgia glasses but even past all that has some decent points, this guy is good to watch.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Unrelated to the rest of your post but I hated how Twilight Princess handled items. We get all these brilliant items like the Spinner and the Dominion Rod that are easily some of my favorite ideas in the series, and then they're only relevant for their respective dungeons and maybe one or two spots outside of that at best.
I've sadly never played Twilight Princess and I've been considering picking it up for a while but I haven't heard great things about it. However, I've had it spoiled for me so I know what it's kinda about. The dominion rod is a very cool concept, though. IIRC, there was a thing in the Tower of the Gods in WW where the statues would follow you around and stuff? I remember that being really unique to me when I first played through it.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure what the spinner did, but didn't it let you ride on certain walls to cross gaps that you wouldn't be able to otherwise? If that's what it did, then they really could have used that like everywhere and that's kind of a missed opportunity.

OoT did a fantastic job of using the dungeon items outside of the dungeons. Definitely one of the things it did best. Some of them were so clever, too. Using the Lens of Truth to cheat in the chest game was really smart of the developers to add in. (I 100%-ed OoT recently so I can actually talk about it lol).

Also, TP has great music, but I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason to spend like $40 on it. Midna and Ilia's Themes (and Midna's Theme by extension) are some of the best Zelda pieces ever, imo.

edit: I just realized that WW and OoT are the only home console Zelda games I've played. o.O

edit 2:
Rosalina stuff
Honestly, you're so right. I got Galaxy when it first came out and loved Rosie instantaneously. She was mysterious, quiet, and not sexualized (I'm looking at you, ZSS). Her storybook broke my heart and that made the character for me. Seeing her in 3D World was the coolest thing to me because it solidified that she's not just some random space girl.

Then I come on here and see "how beautiful is Rosalina in this game" and other **** like that. Like, they ruined Rosie for a little bit. She's still super fun to play in Smash 4, but now she's associated with psycho fans and being OP. It's really sad to me :/ (tbh I hate that Luma is a part of her character and I wish Sakurai never made her a puppet character).

Sadly, people will always do this stuff to female characters because of the whole "i'm a guy so give me tots" thing. Like, this is a kid's franchise. Keep it in your pants.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The thing with complaints around dominion rod and spinner (funny enough I was discussing this with someone last night) is the fact that's the case with most LoZ games 90% of the time. Any other times you use items is maybe a couple times in another dungeon but still main focus being the item you got in that dungeon you're in, then for side quests ala heart pieces bugs or whatever. And if you must count it... then you actually do use some items again of course when on your way to defeat ganon, most likely almost all of em.

Wind waker had the ability to command statues but that was tower of gods only I believe, then the rest of the dungeons is using another song that's essentially the command song... but for makar and medli like 10+ times in newer dungeons. So I wouldn't call that a "unique" concept

Farorae

Smash Ace
I've sadly never played Twilight Princess and I've been considering picking it up for a while but I haven't heard great things about it. However, I've had it spoiled for me so I know what it's kinda about. The dominion rod is a very cool concept, though. IIRC, there was a thing in the Tower of the Gods in WW where the statues would follow you around and stuff? I remember that being really unique to me when I first played through it.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure what the spinner did, but didn't it let you ride on certain walls to cross gaps that you wouldn't be able to otherwise? If that's what it did, then they really could have used that like everywhere and that's kind of a missed opportunity.

OoT did a fantastic job of using the dungeon items outside of the dungeons. Definitely one of the things it did best. Some of them were so clever, too. Using the Lens of Truth to cheat in the chest game was really smart of the developers to add in. (I 100%-ed OoT recently so I can actually talk about it lol).

Also, TP has great music, but I'm not sure if that's enough of a reason to spend like $40 on it. Midna and Ilia's Themes (and Midna's Theme by extension) are some of the best Zelda pieces ever, imo.

edit: I just realized that WW and OoT are the only home console Zelda games I've played. o.O
I'd recommend it, my favorite Zelda game tbh. I've heard mostly good things about it but it probably has something in common with Brawl that the majority loves it and the haters are just a vocal (extreme) minority. It had it's flaws sure but it's one of my favorite games and I've played most Zeldas except like the first two. But yeah the Dominion Rod and spinner could've been way more useful than they were but oh well I don't think it detracted much from the game at all.

Twili

The Queen
Premium
NNID
dearlyxbeloved
3DS FC
3368-2389-1288
Switch FC
3149 6967 1296
These types of people are really annoying. Rosalina is one of my favorite characters personality wise and play style wise but the annoying pervy fans relegate her to her gender. I don't even understand how they find Rosalina, who is basically a disney character with the massive head and all to be sexually attractive. I get Samus but idg Rosalina :/ I still main her and love her though but I don't go on her threads. I'm sure the Mario mains would find it annoying if I talked about Mario's **** size. I do think talking about a character's appeal is ok but u gotta look at the context and the place.
I agree, I love Rosalina for her character and personality, and even though I think she's nice looking as well, people go over the line about it. I don't even want to cross some of the Rosie boards for that reason, from what you guys are saying. I'll just.. stick with what I got.

Loved OoT, TP, and SS, Link's Awakening was my first and I liked that well enough, too. Could never get into MM because I only played it on emulator, and couldn't get past the rushing concept of the three-day system. Am I one of the only few who liked the SS motion controls? It really mattered where I was swinging, and I liked that feeling. Felt more immersive, imo.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I dislike the Rosalina boards in general. For maaany reasons. She just attracts annoying players I guess? I'm sorry for any Rosalina mains that read this

I still use her though, she's very fun. Her backstory was beautiful in Galaxy and I love puppet characters. And now Smash finally has one!

Last edited:

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
honestly the only LoZ title i have completed was MM and OoT lol. i liked SS, but i don't have it so i only got to play a bit of it from my friends house and the only thing that threw me off was the stamina bar. i'm a bad LoZ fan.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I agree, I love Rosalina for her character and personality, and even though I think she's nice looking as well, people go over the line about it. I don't even want to cross some of the Rosie boards for that reason, from what you guys are saying. I'll just.. stick with what I got.
I'm glad that there's someone else who feel the same about Rosie. It's sad that so much of her fanbase revolves around sexualizing her. Also,gj avoiding the Rosie threads because there are some Rosie mains that are kind of insane.

This is really random but I think i might make a poll on the Rosie boards about what Rosie costume everyone uses in smash and i just want to see if you'd think that would be a good idea? idk why but it's something i care about lol

Wind waker had the ability to command statues but that was tower of gods only I believe, then the rest of the dungeons is using another song that's essentially the command song... but for makar and medli like 10+ times in newer dungeons. So I wouldn't call that a "unique" concept
I just thought the statue thing was really cool the first time I played it (since the only other Zelda game I had played at that point was OoT). While the mechanic may not be completely unique to Tower of the Gods, it still felt really special to me at the time. I'm not really sure why, but it did.

Honestly, though, **** the earth and air temples in WW. They're absolutely horrible. I hate the whole "carry around this person bc I say so" thing that Zelda games like to do for some reason. At least the air temple boss was fun. (i'm p sure that's the one that splits into all the little guys).

Last edited:

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
SS was terrible. I really wanted to like it, but just no. That game was annoyingly like a school tour of a theme park or a museum, with the guide leading you by taking your hand.

@ ZombieBran ZombieBran I also hated wolf Link! Tbh that was the part that made me think TP was just "okay." The scene in which you enter the Temple of Time, though. When those choirs gently started singing I got goosebumps.

Omg the music in SS is SO BAD at certain points. I think the Ballad of the Goddess and some of the boss battle themes are really good, but then you have things like this piece of crap:

I mean seriously, wtf were they thinking?!?!
But we got this.
So it's all good.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Love Rosalina. Hate ha board. Honestly Zelda boards feel like the only boards based around a female character where the majority of her player base is sane.

Top Bottom