• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Wow. Ike feels a lot more smoother in this patch.
I think I'll try to learn him a bit.
After maining him in Brawl and picking him up for the first time in the vanilla version of this game, I couldn't stand him anymore. I wish you luck. Maybe I'll test him out too, since this patch has been so nice to him.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
And so begins a full month of 14-15 hour day fasts, from dawn to sunset. Abstaining from all food and drink, including water. In the sweltering summer heat.

Ramadan Mubarak to all of you gorls! <333

There goes my gym time.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
After maining him in Brawl and picking him up for the first time in the vanilla version of this game, I couldn't stand him anymore. I wish you luck. Maybe I'll test him out too, since this patch has been so nice to him.
Yeah, the main reason I couldn't get into him before was because he felt too clunky compared to Shulk.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Okay, I usually don't like spending over 100 bucks on collectibles, but damn, that looks impressive. Granted, the trilogy set exclusive was pretty mediocre so I guess I'll have to wait on this one.

BTW, have you ever seen Dinosaur 13? One of the better dino documentaries IMO (it's the "Blackfish" of dino docs, but instead of a killer whale, it's a T. rex skeleton).

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Do you think even after her latest buffs that Zelda is comparatively worse off after the last update?

All 3 of the new DLC characters seem much better than her (though it could be too early to tell), and characters like Ike and Charizard that some said were around Zelda's position got more useful buffs than her...

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
And so begins a full month of 14-15 hour day fasts, from dawn to sunset. Abstaining from all food and drink, including water. In the sweltering summer heat.

There goes my gym time.
I want to try fasting for a day. I think it's going to be an interesting experience.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I want to try fasting for a day. I think it's going to be an interesting experience.
First few days are awful.

You get used to the routine and the extreme hunger by the end of the first week.

~1.6 billion people in the world are managing it, so I can as well, I always tell myself.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I've been to several local tournaments, and they're all done slightly differently. Some are double elimination, others are not. Some stages are legal, while others may not be, as well as characters (Meta Knight in the Brawl days). It can be pretty intimidating sitting there right beside the person you're playing against when you've seen them wreck people before you, but don't sweat it! In the first tournament I entered when I was 14 I got all the way to the semifinals. I hope that gives you some hope.
That was me like 3 months ago, haha. At first I went in, really not knowing what I'm supposed to do. I wandered around, seeing Doubles Grand Finals, others doing friendlies. I was lucky that I knew this one guy from Facebook; he organized some online tourneys for my region, so I knew I was able to approach him. After greeting him, everything just went to place right afterwards. You just kinda feel like you want to meet the people around there, get to know the top players of your region. You meet a new guy, ask for friendlies, and people just kinda start recognizing you. Heck, THE Big D personally introduced himself to me as he knew that I was that Zelda guy.

Speaking of Zelda, if you're a Zelda main (of all characters to main smh), you do stand out a bit more, so just be yourself and don't be shy around others, because everyone's really nice at tourneys and understand tournament jitters. :)
Alright, thanks gorls! I'll keep all of this in mind.

One more question: what about controllers? I know TOs don't like wireless controllers because it messes with stuff, but the only controller I can use is the Pro...and how would I disconnect it? I'd have to go to the Home Menu, but then someone with the Gamepad would have to exit out of it again.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788

There goes my gym time.
I'm not going to pretend that I know much about Islam and its traditions, but I was under the impression that you were allowed to drink water during the day. I'm not sure if there are varying degrees of "difficulty" for Ramadan, but I do recall reading about those who participate being able to drink water while the sun is still up. Idk; Islam is not something I know much about.

Do you think even after her latest buffs that Zelda is comparatively worse off after the last update?

All 3 of the new DLC characters seem much better than her (though it could be too early to tell), and characters like Ike and Charizard that some said were around Zelda's position got more useful buffs than her...
Sure, a few small buffs aren't going to fix everything wrong with Zelda, but at least we got buffs.

You're probably the most pessimistic (pennisistic?) gorl here and it seems that nothing ever seems to satisfy you. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, but I'm just pointing it out. Here's some advice: try to look on the bright side a little more. Maybe it'll be beneficial to you.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
First few days are awful.

You get used to the routine and the extreme hunger by the end of the first week.

~1.6 billion people in the world are managing it, so I can as well, I always tell myself.
Interesting, so... basically you have to last a whole day without eating or drinking till dusk right?

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Yeah, the main reason I couldn't get into him before was because he felt too clunky compared to Shulk.
I used him and tried to get into him again, but the changes in the engine and to him I felt didn't do him any justice or favor him, along with the fact that a lot of characters got buffs when he remained nearly the same, which put him down further. I had to switch back to the queen :4zelda: after all that nonsense, even though several people think she's worse. My Sm4sh Zelda hasn't had as good tournament results as my Brawl Ike, but I'll make sure she surpasses him as Sakurai keeps buffing her I get better and develop her even more.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
The Nair buff alone is what makes me happy. It brought sooo many "new" (they were there before but now they're more reliable) combos and setups. Usmash is great too, since it gives us a powerful OoS that's not the Elevator.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
how I saw this patch to be honest
:4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends::4feroy:!

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Sure, a few small buffs aren't going to fix everything wrong with Zelda, but at least we got buffs.

You're probably the most pessimistic (pennisistic?) gorl here and it seems that nothing ever seems to satisfy you. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, but I'm just pointing it out. Here's some advice: try to look on the bright side a little more. Maybe it'll be beneficial to you.
I don't mean to be pessimistic, I'm honestly just curious. I've seen posts from people saying that Charizard and Ike feel much better now, but Zelda doesn't really feel any different. I'm happy for the up-smash buff, but if I'm going to play her it would be helpful to know if she's better or worse off.

Obviously it's better that she got these buffs than have her receive nothing - which very well could have happened - and have Charizard and Ike buffed anyway. But I don't think that means we shouldn't keep everything in perspective.

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion

One more question: what about controllers? I know TOs don't like wireless controllers because it messes with stuff, but the only controller I can use is the Pro...and how would I disconnect it? I'd have to go to the Home Menu, but then someone with the Gamepad would have to exit out of it again.
I think it depends on the tournament. Some only allow you to use the gamecube controller and others like mine allow the pro controller.

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson

No problem! And err, I've only played with GameCube controllers, but at the most recent tournament I went to, there were several people playing with Pro controllers and even GamePads. As long as they're not rushing the tourney, they probably wouldn't mind you setting it up as long as you can do it quickly and not take forever and a day.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084

>Zelda gets buffed
>Says that Zelda is worse off

Gorl, I know you think Zelda is bad and we pretty much all agree, but this penissism from you makes me feel like

Other characters got better. Cool. Zelda got better too. DLC characters wreck Zelda, but they can wreck said low tier characters too. We be on even playing field now.

I've seen people in my online tourneys use Wiimote+Nunchuk (our 2nd best player is a Mote+Chuk player too), so I don't see how a Pro would affect the tournament. It might be a bit of a hassle to disconnect and reconnect and such but they will most definitely allow you to use it if that's your preferred controller I'd guess.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I'm not going to pretend that I know much about Islam and its traditions, but I was under the impression that you were allowed to drink water during the day. I'm not sure if there are varying degrees of "difficulty" for Ramadan, but I do recall reading about those who participate being able to drink water while the sun is still up. Idk; Islam is not something I know much about.
Nope, no water throughout the day. Yeah, there are practices that are debated, but fasting in Ramadan has never been one of them. Fasting has been clear cut for a millenia and a half.

You are excused from fasting if you're sick/travelling, pregnant/menstruating/breastfeeding. Just have to make up the missed days before the next Ramadan. Children aren't obligated to fast.

Interesting, so... basically you have to last a whole day without eating or drinking till dusk right?
Yup. Eat a meal shortly before dawn called "Suhoor" to prepare, and break your fast at sunset with a meal called "Iftar." Nothing can be consumed.

Honestly, it's a great month. Communities get together at sunset and late evening for prayers, visit family and friends throughout the month for Iftars, and throw all-night dance parties during the weekends (sunset to dawn). Dance parties are the best.

Last edited:

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Last edited:

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
how I saw this patch to be honest
:4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends::4myfriends::4marth::4myfriends::4myfriends::4feroy:!
This is literally the best thing ever. I sure hope that's the case here. It would be nice to have my Ike start wrecking everyone at tourneys again.

And what I said earlier about Ike feeling worse off in this game because of everyone else getting greater buffs and the inclusion of new characters that are better than him putting him down is probably how @ Gay Ginger Gay Ginger feels about this patch. It's kind of like, "Yay, 3 new characters better than Zelda were just added!" I guess that's just more motivation to improve the Zelda we already have!

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Yup. Eat a meal shortly before dawn called "Suhoor" to prepare, and break your fast at sunset with a meal called "Iftar." Nothing can be consumed.
Cool.

I guess I'll try to fast tomorrow or the day after that. Hope I can make it before sunset. I'll tell you my experience later.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
>Zelda gets buffed
>Says that Zelda is worse off
I don't see the disconnect. I said comparatively. And I'm not saying she is worse off; I'm wondering.

Zelda was heavily buffed from Melee to Brawl but ended up comparatively worse off.

If Zelda gets minor but helpful buffs and in return has to face down 3 characters that have moderate/strong advantages against her (hypothetically -- I don't know how she holds up against them yet) and other weaker characters received better buffs, she could very well end up having a harder time in the 1.08 meta than before, even if she is a better character than she was.

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Okay, I usually don't like spending over 100 bucks on collectibles, but damn, that looks impressive. Granted, the trilogy set exclusive was pretty mediocre so I guess I'll have to wait on this one.

BTW, have you ever seen Dinosaur 13? One of the better dino documentaries IMO (it's the "Blackfish" of dino docs, but instead of a killer whale, it's a T. rex skeleton).
Yeah, usually like 80 bucks is my limit for figurine bull****, but that statue looks way too cool >_>...

And, no! I haven't seen it! I'll look for it and report back later :D

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I don't see the disconnect. I said comparatively. And I'm not saying she is worse off; I'm wondering.

Zelda was heavily buffed from Melee to Brawl but ended up comparatively worse off.

If Zelda gets minor but helpful buffs and in return has to face down 3 characters that have moderate/strong advantages against her (hypothetically -- I don't know how she holds up against them yet) and other weaker characters received better buffs, she could very well end up having a harder time in the 1.08 meta than before, even if she is a better character than she was.
Fair enough.

My point of view from the patch is that they tried to tighten the power gap between characters (except for Roy and Ryu wtf), and thus give low tier characters as a whole better tools. Sure, they'll have better tools in general when fighting opponents iincluding Zelda, but Zelda does get one more kill option, and one more way to confirm off one of her aerials. In theory, characters are better equipped to fight her, but so does Zelda against her opponents. Will she be worst off? Who knows, but even as someone who knows she's bad, I don't want to write her off... just yet.

Plus, there's Samus.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

When you're done with your match, hit the sync button on your pro controller. It will disconnect it from the console, so, even if you accidentally hit one of the face buttons, you won't reconnect to that console. No need to go into the home menu. :)

Pro controller for best controller.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
So as Samus, I just dash attacked through a Peach five times in a row. Spammy is da most tecnickle and hard 2 use characta eva. n your wr0ng if u dun agree w/ me. bye.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Nope, no water throughout the day. Yeah, there are practices that are debated, but fasting in Ramadan has never been one of them. Fasting has been clear cut for a millenia and a half.

You are excused from fasting if you're sick/travelling, pregnant/menstruating/breastfeeding. Just have to make up the missed days before the next Ramadan. Children aren't obligated to fast.

Honestly, it's a great month. Communities get together at sunset and late evening for prayers, visit family and friends throughout the month for Iftars, and throw all-night dance parties during the weekends (sunset to dawn). Dance parties are the best.
Why do you guys do this? Is it symbolic of some historical event?

Coming from a Protestant Christian background I know we celebrate around the "birth of Christ" even though the time is horribly inaccurate and Easter (And that is really the wrong time to celebrate the resurrection too xD I'm not a typical Protestant.)

What is Ramadan specifically for?

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I think Splatoon and Sm4sh are going to dominate my life now lol

Especially since I don't even have to change a disc to swap from one to another and I use different controllers for each.

I guess my avatar is now more appropriate than I thought it would be lol.

McKnightlíght

Getting back into the dunk game
NNID
EvanMcKnight
3DS FC
4399-0018-3572
Wait does Ike's dash attack kill now? (I'm probably way late to this information.) If so that means Sakurai actually reads my posts!
I think Ike's dash attack should kill.

I hope he likes my fruit tier list :D

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Played smash 4 friendlies today at the melee tourney.

Got Rosalina and this FG-esque Mac was doing his thing, then after I KO'd him once, he ran at me and rolled towards the edge of the stage. I jab comboed him once and he had the worst DI I have ever seen and died instantly.

I would feel bad for him... but it's Little Mac.

The important takeaway point here is that it's about time I switched to Rosalina >_>

Last edited:
Top Bottom