• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
It's really awesome that you all are cool enough to where we can have a mature conversation on a "controversial" topic. I've seen some conversations on stuff like this get sooo out of control lol

idk if that's sexualization but more so enforcing gender roles i.e. men have to be powerful, women have to be weak and beautiful blahblahblah.
but isn't that what sexualization is about?
what I mean is gender roles are norns on what is attractive
fictional men and women are sexualized to follow those norms
I wasn't talking about you, man. I was more so talking about the people picking on this one guy because of Powersaves.
oh ok I still wish to know where the main monster hunter forum is at

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
to tell the truth that sexualization is viewed as empowering the FF sexualization is not
That's not necessarily true.
oh cool four examples of male sexualization, that doesn't change the fact that a small minority of men in media are sexualized whereas a large majority of woman are
Just because you're unaware of content doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Look up any 80s-esk action media (He-man, Thunder Cats, GI Joe, wrestling, etc), any hero style game (Gauntlet, Warcraft...), superhero media, fighting genera anime, fighter game (Street Fighter), RPG, and so on and you'll find men who look like complete tools at least as much as the women.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
but isn't that what sexualization is about?
what I mean is gender roles are norns on what is attractive
fictional men and women are sexualized to follow those norms

oh ok I still wish to know where the main monster hunter forum is at
ohhh true true.

wait wtf when did it become so late LOL i should be asleep by now. oops :^)

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
TFW YOU PLAYED SO BAD WITH ZELDA TODAY YOU GET D1cccK'D ON BY FG FALCONS AND 2-STOCK'D BY ROSALINAS AND DONGS

But at least I beat another player with :4zss:in under a minute. This time, without losing a life :^)

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
like one guy was giving some alternatives to some of the rng that gets in the way of tru minmaxing and everyone started picking on him because they knew he uses powersaves, wow
And then Pokemon players actively look for the best ways to exploit the RNG so they can get Pokemon that are closest to their emulated perfection even when a system for breeding great pokes has been streamlined incredibly and they're even throwing us a bone with legendaries by giving them a default of 3 perfect IVs.

Okay.

Fuuj!n

Banned via Warnings
The ever #rude Red Tyrants deleted my post once again.

Someone give me something to talk about so I can make 10 post and repost my match on the paletuna boards.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
That's not necessarily true.

Just because you're unaware of content doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Look up any 80s-esk action media (He-man, Thunder Cats, GI Joe, wrestling, etc), any hero style game (Gauntlet, Warcraft...), superhero media, fighting genera anime, fighter game (Street Fighter), RPG, and so on and you'll find men who look like complete tools at least as much as the women.
yeah that's what I mean they are sexualized to be manly
when FF introduced a character that is sexualized like how a woman is sexualized that's when the outrage begins

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299

Someone give me something to talk about so I can make 10 post and repost my match on the paletuna boards.
Saw you on stream the other day. GJ.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

kids and squids?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029

Butterfree:012:

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
It's only hyperlinks that you can't post before 10 posts, right? I swear I embedded a gfycat as like my sixth post here even though I couldn't post the link itself

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084

Was that you in the bottom left face cam in the beginning of the video you posted?

mfw I see that face

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
on male sexualization, its actually so rampant I can count the number of "not manly" male protagonist with my had
the only two at the top of my head
Eliwood FE7
Robin (short build) FE13
Lucas Mother 3
I tried not putting faceless avatar chaqracters like Villager because they are designed to be ambiguous

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
@ FullMoon FullMoon

I don't think her heels are a huge deal and I didn't even think about ZSS until someone brought her up. I just find sexualization and objectification of women in video games annoying, and while there are bigger problems in the world, I think I can occasionally complain about it and focus on bigger issues at the same time.
I don't mind sexualization itself, I mean I find it perfectly reasonable to have sexy women in video games as long as it's sensible or not played seriously, objectification, yeah. I just think people sometimes get a bit carried away when trying to make a point about it, to the point that it looks like any sexy woman they see in a video game is clearly sexism.

Oooooon another note. I was almost winning against this Falcon in the ladder and I had such a big % lead but I got too thirsty going after him offstage for the gimp and got dunked by the side-b and I lost and adasdasfsafasdasasda I wanna cry ;-;

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Thats the match I posted.

LOL @ someone trying to tell me to go Zeldawful.

I havent yet played that game.
bbut you can still talk about kids and or squids
now I have a mental image of a squid riding a baby goat (a kid)

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
oh cool four examples of male sexualization, that doesn't change the fact that a small minority of men in media are sexualized whereas a large majority of woman are
I can't help but feel you are greatly underrating the sexualization of men. Marvel and He-Man are hardly small, and you are right, there were only four examples. That doesn't mean that those are the only examples. Almost every cartoon from the 80's was filled with steroid-injected men flexing their biceps.

Men are sexualized to be powerful beasts
But that's not necessarily a good thing either. It creates the stereotype that all men are mindless, muscle-bound freaks. One of my favorite book series as a kid had all the male characters be clueless jocks who always hated school, and it annoyed me because I believed that what I was learning in school would legitimately benefit me in the future.

What I'm curious to know is why it's fictional characters that get all the sexist claims. I mean, yeah, Samus's bust size in Smash 4 may be unrealistic, but she's fictional. She's not a real woman with actual feelings or emotions, but instead just a model created from pixels and polygons. Even then, what's wrong with being sexy? There's sex appeal, yes, but Samus is known for a personality of being an independent and strong woman, and I just don't see how you can claim that her character is sexist. If she can shatter my skull with an axe-kick midair but still be sexy at the time, I think they're doing something right. The sexualization that pisses me off are things like those godawful Game of War commercials with Kate Upton. In those ads, there's fanservice only, and nothing else. One of the ads is literally Kate Upton just taking a bath. That's when I feel that you're overdoing the sex appeal. Also, it's a real human being getting sexualized.

In case none of this made sense (it's late at night and I'm tired), what I'm trying to say is I feel there's nothing wrong with women being portrayed as badass and sexy in fictitious and outlandish media. I, personally, believe a lot of female characters labeled as sexist don't actually objectify women.

Last edited:

Fuuj!n

Banned via Warnings
It's only hyperlinks that you can't post before 10 posts, right? I swear I embedded a gfycat as like my sixth post here even though I couldn't post the link itself

Eaux youre right!!!

As I said before the Red Tyrants deleted iT.

This is basically an allusion to my inconsistency in video form.

Last edited:

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
"In case none of this made no sense"

Ha ha I said the same thing in my For Glory rant (different website). Damn double negatives.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Oooooon another note. I was almost winning against this Falcon in the ladder and I had such a big % lead but I got too thirsty going after him offstage for the gimp and got dunked by the side-b and I lost and adasdasfsafasdasasda I wanna cry ;-;
For some reason the concept of Greninja getting thirsty boggles my mind.

I suppose Water types gotta keep those fluids up, though.

Guess who's back.

Back again.

I believed that what I was learning in school would legitimately benefit me in the future.
Boy, do I have some news for you.

That said I agree with the remainder of the points you made.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
For some reason the concept of Greninja getting thirsty boggles my mind.

I suppose Water types gotta keep those fluids up, though.
He does leave his tongue very exposed, must get pretty dry in hot days lol.

Me being a fanboy with too much time in his hands I could probably make a whole biological analysis about how I think Greninja (and some other mons) works.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I can't help but feel you are greatly underrating the sexualization of men. Marvel and He-Man are hardly small, and you are right, there were only four examples. That doesn't mean that those are the only examples. Almost every cartoon from the 80's was filled with steroid-injected men flexing their biceps.

But that's not necessarily a good thing either. It creates the stereotype that all men are mindless, muscle-bound freaks. One of my favorite book series as a kid had all the male characters be clueless jocks who always hated school, and it annoyed me because I believed that what I was learning in school would legitimately benefit me in the future.

What I'm curious to know is why it's fictional characters that get all the sexist claims. I mean, yeah, Samus's bust size in Smash 4 may be unrealistic, but she's fictional. She's not a real woman with actual feelings or emotions, but instead just a model created from pixels and polygons. Even then, what's wrong with being sexy? There's sex appeal, yes, but Samus is known for a personality of being an independent and strong woman, and I just don't see how you can claim that her character is sexist. If she can shatter my skull with an axe-kick midair but still be sexy at the time, I think they're doing something right. The sexualization that pisses me off are things like those godawful Game of War commercials with Kate Upton. In those ads, there's fanservice only, and nothing else. One of the ads is literally Kate Upton just taking a bath. That's when I feel that you're overdoing the sex appeal. Also, it's a real human being getting sexualized.

In case none of this made sense (it's late at night and I'm tired), what I'm trying to say is I feel there's nothing wrong with women being portrayed as badass and sexy in fictitious and outlandish media. I, personally, believe a lot of female characters labeled as sexist don't actually objectify women.
excactly! male sexualization is just as poisonous as female sexualization because it creates a damaging stereotype! I haven't seen a fat male main character yet

fictional characters are easy to make the claims with because they were made up by someone and because they are still media.
"Why can samus be made ugly and scarred?" and stuff like that
You can't really blame an actually woman for being beautiful because that might be how she is

I am btw completely fine with sexualization if it makes sense for the character/setting (I love Poison because she works that sexy) or there is more to the charater than their sexiness/fetishes (I am fine with Litchi Faye Ling because she is a deep and compelling character) or maybe something else I don't know . I only have a problem with sexy female characters when it is jarring

Soul.

And then Pokemon players actively look for the best ways to exploit the RNG so they can get Pokemon that are closest to their emulated perfection even when a system for breeding great pokes has been streamlined incredibly and they're even throwing us a bone with legendaries by giving them a default of 3 perfect IVs.

Okay.
Breeding in Gen 6 is less cancerous because of the new mechanics, but they are still a 50/50. RNG is still a dumb factor to get perfect Pokémon, ugh—I seriously hope Gen 7 makes it a lot more easier. Making them visible would be a good step.
OMG. Guys, I'm a mod on Squidboards. :)
lol squidboards. Congrats man

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think the ways in which we absorb culture and reproduce cultural attitudes are too complex to just single out a specific "cause" and address it by itself.

I think that while activists and feminists try to change culture in the real world, we also need to pay specific attention to certain sub-cultures that may not change as fast as the culture at large. I definitely think the gaming community is more misogynistic than the overall culture, for example, and I think "GamerGate" and the reaction to Anita Sarkeesian have shown that. Gamers are resisting some of the changes the rest of society is experiencing and if we just leave them alone while we focus on the rest of society, these beliefs will stay entrenched. In my paper on misogyny and homophobia in video games, I talked about how a lot of gamers use video games to escape from the mainstream culture and GamerGate is a response to pressures force gaming culture to "catch up" to changing attitudes in the mainstream. I think the same can be said of sports culture, which is also more misogynistic and homophobic than the national culture.
Ha. That conspiracy theory about gamergate is always funny.

Almost as funny as Anita being taken seriously.

First off, Gamergate was a reaction to the "gamers are dead" articles that was a reaction to a bunch of people questioning wheather Zoey Quinn was having sexual relations with games journalists. (Anita didn't enter the picture until I think a month or so.)

Second, no, I don't like anita because she
1. Is a con artist. She asked for money promising a lot, like finishing feminist frequency in like 2 months or so, and it has taken like 2 years. And if you don't believe that is enough, she asked for money for ANOTHER series despite not finishing feminist frequency.
2. Doesn't have any proof that games cause any misogynistic behavior in people, she just expects you to believe that.
3. This is in spite of the fact that there a million articles to say otherwise. Also, the fact that the number of incidents of things like **** have been going down since video games were introduce. (No to say correlation, but it should be going up if what Anita says is true).
4. Heck, she doesn't even play the games she critique. She's even been on record saying she isn't a gamer. Why should I listen to someone who isn't a gamer?
5. She is always trying to push her political agenda. One time, there was a school shooting, and she said on twitter, "why is it always men doing the shootings" and how it was because of "toxic masculinity" and how you should read this one book on it. No respect at all to the ones who died. (The "funny" part was that the shooting happened over a girl. Take that as you will).

Games aren't misogynistic, and neither are gamers. I'm an Egalitarian. I believe woman, man, everyone should be treated equally, and have equal opportunities. And thats it, games don't take away from that. Especially not all the nitpicky stuff Games journalist like to spew.

If you want me to listen, give me proof. There will be no, "listening and believing" with me.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Ha. That conspiracy theory about gamergate is always funny.

Almost as funny as Anita being taken seriously.

First off, Gamergate was a reaction to the "gamers are dead" articles that was a reaction to a bunch of people questioning wheather Zoey Quinn was having sexual relations with games journalists. (Anita didn't enter the picture until I think a month or so.)

Second, no, I don't like anita because she
1. Is a con artist. She asked for money promising a lot, like finishing feminist frequency in like 2 months or so, and it has taken like 2 years. And if you don't believe that is enough, she asked for money for ANOTHER series despite not finishing feminist frequency.
2. Doesn't have any proof that games cause any misogynistic behavior in people, she just expects you to believe that.
3. This is in spite of the fact that there a million articles to say otherwise. Also, the fact that the number of incidents of things like **** have been going down since video games were introduce. (No to say correlation, but it should be going up if what Anita says is true).
4. Heck, she doesn't even play the games she critique. She's even been on record saying she isn't a gamer. Why should I listen to someone who isn't a gamer?
5. She is always trying to push her political agenda. One time, there was a school shooting, and she said on twitter, "why is it always men doing the shootings" and how it was because of "toxic masculinity" and how you should read this one book on it. No respect at all to the ones who died. (The "funny" part was that the shooting happened over a girl. Take that as you will).

Games aren't misogynistic, and neither are gamers. I'm an Egalitarian. I believe woman, man, everyone should be treated equally, and have equal opportunities. And thats it, games don't take away from that. Especially not all the nitpicky stuff Games journalist like to spew.

If you want me to listen, give me proof. There will be no, "listening and believing" with me.
gamergate confuses me more than playing Olimar @.@

Top Bottom