• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I mean if we're talking about painful heels... I'd hate to be hit by Peach's dair.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
I never cared about ZSS's design because I really never cared about her being portrayed as being really sexy. I mean Samus was sexualized ever since day one what with the "clear the game fast enough and you'll see Samus in a bikini!" thing the earlier Metroid games had.

The heels are silly and impractical, yes but honestly in the context of Smash Bros I don't mind them going a bit silly because this game is very ridiculous in concept alone. In the Metroid series you're probably never going to see Samus outside of the Power Suit doing actual fighting ever.

This is the same game where we have a 1.5m tall ninja frog that uses his tongue as a scarf face off against an ordinary fitness instructor, talking space animals, angels and more, I don't think this game is supposed to make sense.
Agreed. Other M's ugly AF heels bother me way more considering they served absolutely no use at all.

Why does that game have to exist

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I never cared about ZSS's design because I really never cared about her being portrayed as being really sexy. I mean Samus was sexualized ever since day one what with the "clear the game fast enough and you'll see Samus in a bikini!" thing the earlier Metroid games had.

The heels are silly and impractical, yes but honestly in the context of Smash Bros I don't mind them going a bit silly because this game is very ridiculous in concept alone. In the Metroid series you're probably never going to see Samus outside of the Power Suit doing actual fighting ever.

This is the same game where we have a 1.5m tall ninja frog that uses his tongue as a scarf face off against an ordinary fitness instructor, talking space animals, angels and more, I don't think this game is supposed to make sense.
Preach! The heat behind ZSS's design in this game was unnecessary shiz. I never really had a problem with the heels, besides the fact that they are so ugly.

Being too Sexualized? Please Sit, because Captain Falcon is packing in that tight suit. (:D)

As you stated, this game isn't supposed to make any sense. It is just a game at the end of the day people.

I mean if we're talking about painful heels... I'd hate to be hit by Peach's dair.
If we're talking painful, beware of that stich-faced turnip. I don't wanna be damaged by something edible. :-/
Agreed. Other M's ugly AF heels bother me way more considering they served absolutely no use at al.

Why does that game have to exist
Because.

The baby.:secretkpop::secretkpop::secretkpop::secretkpop::secretkpop:

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Think about it though... needle sharp heels on your head 95% of the time. Four hits per dair.

Last edited:

Soul.

The best Metroid game is not Super Metroid.
It's.... Fusion.
alright whatever, all metroid games are good because speedruns

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Jw, would you say ZSS' heels sexualize her or are just very impractical? I've heard viewpoints from both sides so just wondering what you think. To me it seems she just has them to say "look! a strong girl! in a fighting game!" rather then sexualizing her or serving any other purpose.
I think it's a bit of both. High heels are a fashion accessory that reinforce certain beauty standards for how women should look and dress. If they weren't trying to make her more attractive (also increased her breast size), they never would have added the heels to begin with.

I agree to a point.

Smash is not meant to be taken seriously and it shouldn't be.

The problem, though, is that female characters wearing impractical outfits and high heels is a common thing in video games. In almost any RPG, the female outfits are ridiculous. Hell - Zelda has high heels in Hyrule Warriors! I don't think we can place ZSS out of this tendency just because the game is meant to be silly.

I think it's a bit of both. High heels are a fashion accessory that reinforce certain beauty standards for how women should look and dress. If they weren't trying to make her more attractive (also increased her breast size), they never would have added the heels to begin with.

I agree to a point.

Smash is not meant to be taken seriously and it shouldn't be.

The problem, though, is that female characters wearing impractical outfits and high heels is a common thing in video games. In almost any RPG, the female outfits are ridiculous. Hell - Zelda has high heels in Hyrule Warriors! I don't think we can place ZSS out of this tendency just because the game is meant to be silly.
WARNING: SERIOUS POST
Honestly I think at this point you should just shift your attention to modern society, rather than a character's design. Yeah ZSS is argueably portrayed as sexualized, but how can we blame them if that's all we are exposed to? Remember that the gaming industry is consisted of a predominately male demographic whose audience happens to mostly consist of other males. What better way to attract males than to have sexy fanservice? Even females are forced to live with an idealized image of what beauty or sexy is. At the end of the day, they need to sell and unfortunately sex sells.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Metroid games I have played (in chronological order):
Fusion
Zero Mission
Hunters
Prime
Echoes
Corruption

I want to play Super though. If you want to see fun speedrunning stuff or just miscellaneous quirks from the games, especially Prime, check out the Metroid 2002 website, it's great.

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
WARNING: SERIOUS POST
Honestly I think at this point you should just shift your attention to modern society, rather than a character's design. Yeah ZSS is argueably portrayed as sexualized, but how can we blame them if that's all we are exposed to? Remember that the gaming industry is consisted of a predominately male demographic whose audience happens to mostly consist of other males. What better way to attract males than to have sexy fanservice? Even females are forced to live with an idealized image of what beauty or sexy is. At the end of the day, they need to sell and unfortunately sex sells.
I don't see fighting the sexualization of female characters in video games, books, movies, or any other entertainment medium and challenging contemporary beauty standards and sexualization of women in the real world as mutually exclusive.

As you said, the creators obviously got the idea from somewhere and the fans are used to it because sexualization and objectification of women permeate most levels of our society. But at the same time, exposure to these things through media reinforce these beliefs and cultural attitudes. I don't think you can tackle one without addressing the other in some form.

edit: Also I'm interested in gender and sexuality issues in the real world too and I didn't intend to create such a huge discussion by posting the FF thing xD

Last edited:
I don't see fighting the sexualization of female characters in video games, books, movies, or any other entertainment medium and challenging contemporary beauty standards and sexualization of women in the real world as mutually exclusive.

As you said, the creators obviously got the idea from somewhere and the fans are used to it because sexualization and objectification of women permeates most levels of our society. But at the same time, exposure to these things through media reinforce these beliefs and cultural attitudes. I don't think you can tackle one without addressing the other in some form.

edit: Also I'm interested in gender and sexuality issues in the real world too and I didn't intend to create such a huge discussion by posting the FF thing xD
Well first I want to say that I'm having second thoughts on my "how can we blame them?" statement, so let me clarify. I meant to say if they deserve the blame for this, but I think it came off as me defending their ignorance. Just because they don't know it's wrong doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

As for you, I agree with what you're saying, but wouldn't you say addressing "one" would be more effective or have more impact than addressing another?

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Rizen Rizen

I definitely agree the outfit looked weird. It looked terrible. But I don't think it's any worse than female characters wearing almost nothing, wearing bunny outfits, or fighting in high heels. I think a lot of the weirdness comes from the fact that we see women wear super impractical costumes all the time, but this is one of the first times a male character has had a costume on that level lol.
What are you talking about? Male characters are oddly sexualized all the time.

Skin tight spandex anyone?

Just saying.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I just went to the game faq mh4u forum and I feel ill now

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Lawl, it's very awkward being around here atm, at least for me. I'll just go and take a hike

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051

Just saying.
to tell the truth that sexualization is viewed as empowering the FF sexualization is not

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
OMG A LUCINA AT XANADU???

also random question: does anyone know how to DI Boost Kick for best survivability?
I heard SDIing up helps since it increases the chance you'll fall out. Especially if your character is floaty. If they do land the final hit, just do standard DI for getting lauched up (which would be right or left). :)

EDIT: Welcome back Beserkers! :bluejump:

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I understand the issue but honestly unless the game aims to be realistic I don't really care much about that. I mean, going from your own example, Hyrule Warriors is a game that allows you to beat up hordes of enemy as if you were a supersoldier with a little guy in a green spandex that thinks he's a fairy or a girl that think she's some sort of insect queen and goes around destroying enemies such as the king of evil himself by summoning giant beetles and flying on a giant butterfly. Why complain about something as simple as the fact that Zelda is wearing heels when there's so much more absurd stuff going on?

In a game like Fire Emblem who at least tries to be more down-to-earth and as such should try to be more practical, yeah, I can see the problem, but for games that are just more like mindless fun like Smash and Hyrule Warriors, complaining about impractical stuff like that just seems like nitpicking. If you're going that way you might as well ask what's the practical use of Greninja using his tongue as a scarf, or why Robin is carrying a book and a sword at once (there's no way that is a practical thing), etc.

Also yes, oversexualization of women in media is bad, but that shouldn't stop people of making sexy female characters. I don't take issue with them making Samus out to be super attractive because, well, why can't she? It's not like you get to see Samus outside of her power suit in her own games very often. The heels in her Other M Zero Suit was a bad idea, yes, it's a bit out of character for Samus to walk around in dangerous areas in heels, but I don't think it's something to make such a big deal about.

ZSS's outfit is not even that bad in her home series, it's skin-tight suit that she wears to be comfortable while inside her power suit, she's not even exposing skin. The only bad thing about the outfit is the heels which yeah it's dumb but making such a big deal out of it is just silly to me.

It all depends on the context of the game for me. I'm not a fan of fanservice myself, but for instance Bayonetta is so over-the-top and in-your-face with it and clearly doesn't take itself seriously, so I find it more hilarious than anything else. Cia in Hyrule Warriors makes sense to be sexualized because she's pretty much Lana's vices, which includes Lust, I also wouldn't doubt that she's dressing up like that in an attempt to seduce Link, etc.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Preach! The heat behind ZSS's design in this game was unnecessary shiz. I never really had a problem with the heels, besides the fact that they are so ugly.

Being too Sexualized? Please Sit, because Captain Falcon is packing in that tight suit. (:D)

As you stated, this game isn't supposed to make any sense. It is just a game at the end of the day people.
You know what I love the most about this post?
The fact that most "purists" fear that people around your age wouldn't understand it's just a game.

And here you are making a great example of how wrong they are.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
It'll be a surprise.
When he tells any other opponent "Show me your moves", he'll always remember the Internet Queen, and her King.
D'aww. :happysheep:

That cat just wants belly rubs, man. Look at it. That is the "rub my belly, hooman" face.

Seconds after this picture I think that is exactly what will happen.

Still trying to figure out why there's ketchup on the dude's knife. Maybe Heinz upped their sealing game all of a sudden.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500

Just saying.
oh cool four examples of male sexualization, that doesn't change the fact that a small minority of men in media are sexualized whereas a large majority of woman are

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
ITT: GameFAQs sucks.
like one guy was giving some alternatives to some of the rng that gets in the way of tru minmaxing and everyone started picking on him because they knew he uses powersaves, wow

Gay Ginger

Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
As for you, I agree with what you're saying, but wouldn't you say addressing "one" would be more effective or have more impact than addressing another?
I think the ways in which we absorb culture and reproduce cultural attitudes are too complex to just single out a specific "cause" and address it by itself.

I think that while activists and feminists try to change culture in the real world, we also need to pay specific attention to certain sub-cultures that may not change as fast as the culture at large. I definitely think the gaming community is more misogynistic than the overall culture, for example, and I think "GamerGate" and the reaction to Anita Sarkeesian have shown that. Gamers are resisting some of the changes the rest of society is experiencing and if we just leave them alone while we focus on the rest of society, these beliefs will stay entrenched. In my paper on misogyny and homophobia in video games, I talked about how a lot of gamers use video games to escape from the mainstream culture and GamerGate is a response to pressures force gaming culture to "catch up" to changing attitudes in the mainstream. I think the same can be said of sports culture, which is also more misogynistic and homophobic than the national culture.

We can and should do both at the same time. I don't think there is any conflict there. Obviously more resources and efforts should be allocated to the mainstream, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be activists in the gaming world or sports or wherever.

men are sexualized all the time but not like how women are sexualized
Men are sexualized to be powerful beasts
Women are sexualized to be frail beauty
oh dear my two semesters of sociology are showing up again
@ Rizen Rizen

Antonykun makes a good point. I think an important distinction to make is that men are rarely objectified in the manner women are.

Men are often given powerful, muscular bodies (and costumes that emphasize this) because they embody a version of masculinity men should strive to achieve to be powerful. This is still harmful because it places pressure on men and boys to be strong, powerful, and dominant.

Much of the revealing outfits for women, however, are so the characters can be eye-candy for straight men. It's not the same thing - though neither is good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ FullMoon FullMoon

I don't think her heels are a huge deal and I didn't even think about ZSS until someone brought her up. I just find sexualization and objectification of women in video games annoying, and while there are bigger problems in the world, I think I can occasionally complain about it and focus on bigger issues at the same time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too many responses omg -- what did I get myself into lol

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
a girl that think she's some sort of insect queen and goes around destroying enemies such as the king of evil himself by summoning giant beetles and flying on a giant butterfly.
Homie. Homie. Let's be real here.

If you can summon a giant any kind of bug at will, and you can fly around on giant butterflies and trample peeps with giant beetles, and you declare yourself queen of the insects because of that, as it turns out you are in fact completely correct.

See that?

That right there is a big green heap of I'm not arguing her sovereignty.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
oh cool four examples of male sexualization, that doesn't change the fact that a small minority of men in media are sexualized whereas a large majority of woman are

Soul.

like one guy was giving some alternatives to some of the rng that gets in the way of tru minmaxing and everyone started picking on him because they knew he uses powersaves, wow
I still don't know why that site exists. Aren't people just tired of going there?

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
It's really awesome that you all are cool enough to where we can have a mature conversation on a "controversial" topic. I've seen some conversations on stuff like this get sooo out of control lol
idk if that's sexualization but more so enforcing gender roles i.e. men have to be powerful, women have to be weak and beautiful blahblahblah.

Top Bottom