• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Q&A and Discussion Thread: Our Bair is STILL better than Yours!

Cia

das kwl
I noticed that there wasn't a Q&A thread for the Zelda boards. (probably due to lack of popularity)

Feel Free to ask any questions regarding Zelda

Impp

Smash Ace
In melee.. If you feel like showing off, From the ledge on Battle field, you can fall off. Go under the stage jump and do Zelda's Up Air through the floor and hit someone with it, and still do your up and B and vertically, and sweet spot the ledge. You can make it like 1/3 the way down the stage, but it takes some practice. Of course your at risk for edge hogging, and it's so easy to mess up... and it doesn't really help much if it connects, but it is the most useful technique ever :lick:

TheLake

Smash Master
Nah going to rainbow cruise and grabing the back ledge is way more useful. You can teleport as the ship reaches the rainbow and as it passes midway through it you can drop then teleport diagonally and grab the ledge. Not only is it as flashy as it gets its also total mindgames dood!

As the teleport master I can assure zelda has many more secrets. But those will have to wait yes? Muhahaha *teleports away*

TheLake

Smash Master
Dont Dair fox...

Nayrus love works. Down tilt sets up for some nice happenings though.

Kick is the best though hands down so get your butt out there and kick!

Cia

das kwl
very true indeed. I know that it's better to kick. maybe it's because by nature, I'm a flashy player and Dair seems more humorous

Zone

Smash Champion
Kick, Downsmash, Naryu's Love, Forward Smash, Down-tilt, Down-air, Grab.

All those do have their situations when they can be a good choice. Not always will you be able to kick them, yet you can down-air and hope for another chance at edgeguarding. Like Down-air --> Kick if you still have your jump, and if they meteor cancelled fast enough.

I'd say that list above is from priority to less priority. If you can pull the first one do it. If you can't go down the list. But most likely you can downsmash instead of downtilt anyways, but it does set up for kicks sometimes.

If you can pull a comp grab, where you stand on the edge, and grab them out of Up+B that could be delicioius, See'ing as how up-throw to kick is now about to happen. however just kicking him out of up+B is good.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Yay, old thread.

Ok, so I play a pretty good C. Falcon. We go back and forward with wins, so maybe we're even... and maybe we're both not good at all... but anyway, he plays very aggressively, yet even though I can read his attacks, I generally have a hard time punishing him for it.

Lightning kicks aside, what's a good way to deal with C. Falcon? Any grabbing techniques, any tricks, anything. I read the guide, but I want a bit more info here. I'm sure it's not a good matchup at all for Zelda, but I wouldn't mind a bit of advice aside from lightning kicks and Down B.

Cia

das kwl
believe it or not, standing A button attack ***** him out of most approaches. and it trades hits with his n-air. SHFFL'd N-air > Usmash works really well on CF.. in fact Usmash works well on him in general. I've Usmashed CF 3 times in a row once.. LOL, try it

when he get's to higher percentages (70+) Fsmash, and (my Favorite method) Dsmash are great for getting him of the stage. (F-air + B-air knock him off at much earlier percentages)

once he's off the stage, there are numerous ways you can edge guard..

- run off + F-air
- take the ledge, wait for him to jump on the the stage than F-air
- take the ledge + B-air
- run off + Press B
- Dtilt > Dsmash
- run off + D-air
- turn into sheik (LOL)

and the list goes on.. Enjoy gimping falcon

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Wow, I didn't realize her jab was so effective against him! I only used it sparingly against him, but I didn't realize how effective it is. I'm definitely using that thing more.

I also had a tendency to not use Usmash much because of how fickle it can be, but the nair -> Usmash trick works pretty good.

Yeah, Zelda has a lot of gimping strategies on him, and I put some of them in that list to use. I always feel that I'm a bit slower than him in general, so sometimes I would end up using Din's instead. I'll practice my gimping more with Zelda. Thanks for the advice, VaNz.

TheLake, I loved that video. :)

Cia

das kwl
well it IS a risky move to use since only the "tipper" hit at the end of it is enough to push the opponent far. kicks are definitely the best of your options. but when ever you feel like being flashy, naryu's love is decent way. (especially on falco)

-=3ddy=-

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering who is widely regarded as the best zelda player in the world? if possible some recent videos of him/her aswell.Thanks

Cia

das kwl
i think it's a player named Khan.. haven't seen any of his videos for some time now, but his zelda moved like no other..

and magus has the most technical zelda hands down.

TheLake

Smash Master
I dont think...that should definatly change though. Im taking a break for a bit from competitive smash till i get a license and a job. Then ill be alll over dat shizzz.

We also share the same brawl icon.
The game is no melee but ivysaur is by far the sweetest addition to the game.

We definatly should play some time (:

Cia

das kwl
yeah definitely. the next time i'll be in PA is probably for one of Scar's or Chibo's tournaments. i live in NYC.

edit - yaaa. ivysaur + zamus are the only reasons i even play brawl.. seriously.. lol

D

Deleted member

it's ok, we all get a little worse from time to time :p

my zelda is absolute and total ****.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I just starting playing Zelda recently...pretty much when my Shiek 4-stocked Niwatori's CF. This matchup is more even for him. (Still in my favor, LOL)

Um, I find Nair to be very useful for approaching and also for just stopping someone that gets a little too happy. Am I wrong? Or am I just playing the wrong people? (I vote for this one) Is Nair a decent move to use for at least resetting the momentum? I need advice here. ^_^ That and I really gotta work on my kick setups. Any advice?

*couch*shiek*cough*question*cough*- How can I be a more effective gimper?

"Crank That Roy"

Cia

das kwl
Nair is a decent approach, but more effective against fast fallers because u can combo. into like.. Usmash or w.e Nair against jiggz is almost completely useless.

Umm.. i like the pressure sheilds w/ Fair. people are often so afraid of getting hit that fair pressure seems pretty effective. umm, standing jab is a nice way to stop non- ranged approaches (i.e don't use it to stop a Fsmash spaced marth)

umm.. and the rest u just gotta learn w/ experience

Zone

Smash Champion
Moves that can lead into kick depending on percentage, and sometimes opponent DI.
Dash Attack,
Upthrow
F-tilt
Finished- upsmash
Another Kick
N-air
up-tilt

those are some of the more practical uses, I mean things like din's fire can help you connect, but your much better off MOST of the time. Doing something else. Figure out the percentages, and the type of weight your opponent is. Floaty or heavy?

N-air is a ok approach. It's good against people who are charging at you and planned on hitting ur char assuming you were trying to retreat. And Good against people when ur coming down from above who have a not so uber great up-air to counter you with. Best to stay away from being above people though. Best approaches or counter to approaches, are kicks (Mostly retreating, or atleast non-momentum kicks.), Dash Attack, Grab (Iffy, only if you feel, that they feel they should block.) Most of the time Fox can just spam any move, and you'll never grab him. So hit him a few times with non-grab moves until he finally gets a little more careful, and starts shielding some more. One of ur least picked choices of approaches though. U have to be so so so sure, you'll grab them. Bleh Basically all i'm saying is use low lag moves, and mix up how you approach, and defend. Don't leave the same patterns over and over.

Btw, Zelda cancel aerials uber fast like Samus on platforms w/o having to fall. Practice that, it's pretty useful. Like You can land a kick really fast on battle field coming up. and l-cancelling it w/o having to fast fall leaving you with a quicker l-canceled pick a move option. Just basically helps you move a little faster. Something Zelda can always use. More speed.

EDIT: I know I probably gave you more than you asked for. But I always add things extra, a bit of random information incase someone didn't know that.

rebd121

Smash Journeyman
I play Zelda in both Melee and Brawl (green in Melee, black in Brawl).

Something I've noticed, however, is that my opponents are able to gauge my roll movements, and I use rolls quite a lot to move from place to place. How can I move to best avoid damage on approach without leaving myself vulnerable?

Cia

das kwl
I play Zelda in both Melee and Brawl (green in Melee, black in Brawl).

Something I've noticed, however, is that my opponents are able to gauge my roll movements, and I use rolls quite a lot to move from place to place. How can I move to best avoid damage on approach without leaving myself vulnerable?
well rolling in general is not very good. while it is necessary SOMETIMES, it can become habitual and overuse can be a huge negative in the long run (ex. i like to use jigglypuff against people who have roll habits)

just learn to cut back on ur use of rolling. only use it to escape (sometimes) and almost NEVER approach with it (seriously)

personally, when i use zelda, i try not to approach so much. i'd much rather wait til my opponent comes in and use a ranged attack to defend. however, there are situations where it may be best to approach. in which case, i either

- approach from the ground, and stop when i'm within range and jab
- Bair/Fair approach: good for intimidating your opponent. no one likes having their sheild pounded on by those
- Nair > Usmash approach: best on fast fallers and fatties (+roy)

hope this advice helps

Popertop

Smash Champion
Hi.
My friend mains Melee Zelda, and I was wondering what is considered the norm for Zelda users. i.e. What is the standard of tech skill, setups etc.

Cia

das kwl
well, zelda "mains" aren't very common. but most zelda mains make her look abnormally fast and rely on Fair / Bair spacing. and zelda tech skill is about average. (you don't need as much as required for fox, but need more than necessary for Jiggz)

Zone

Smash Champion
The Norm for Zelda, is alot of running away (Depending: CAn't just run away from fox laser spam). Knowing ur moves priorities vs other moves. Good Spacing, Moderate Tech skill.

Set ups for most things are moves that lead to kicks. To get them off stage.

Edit: Moderate tech skill is iffy way to say that. You need to be as technical with Zelda as you can. I'm just saying getting there won't take as long as probably say fox. Consistency is key.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yeah, my friend Brandon is pretty consistent, and he does mainly what you said. I was wonder if there was any other "Bread and Butter" tactics that I should tell him about or have him work on.

Top Bottom