• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Move Tier List (it's a fad!)

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Upsmash
Dsmash

These two are probably more useful then the rest of her moves combined. Upsmash's priority and speed are complimented perfectly by dsmash's ability to hit everything else. Great for damage dealing and KOs.

high

Dtilt (Can give you some great options)
Fsmash
Nayru's Love (great GTFO move, especially when buffered)
Din's Fire

middle

Dash attack
Utilt (very situational but useful after a dtilt)
Bair
Uair (Fantastic for killing...unfortunately everyone knows how good it is so they dodge it like herpes)
Nair
Fair

low

Jab
Ftilt (if only it was less laggy!)
Farore's Wind
Dair

Your own lists, please.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Top:
Usmash
Dsmash

High:
Dtilt
Fsmash
Bair
Naryus

Middle:
Farores
Nair
Jab
Utilt
Fair

Low:
Uair
Ftilt
Dins
Dair

Villi

Smash Lord

Fsmash
Up smash
Dsmash
Transform

High

Dtilt
Up tilt
Nair
Bair

Mid

Fair
Up air
Dair
Dthrow
Dash attack
NL
Bthrow
Jab
FW
Din's

Low

Ftilt
Up throw
Fthrow

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Man, I was gonna do this for my moveset thread when all the moves were completed. Oh wells~

Transform

High
Fsmash
Up smash
Dsmash

and I'd say her f-air/b-air is somewhere between mid and low.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Let it be known:

I STARTED IT CHEATERS. >_>

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
Top:

D-Smash
U-Smash

High

Transform
D-Tilt
F-Smash
Din's
Farore's
Nayru's
B-Air
F-Air
U-Air
N-air

Mid

Dash
All grabs/throws
U-tilt

Low

F-tilt
Jab
D-air

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
Making that list just made me realize exactly how boss all of Zelda's moves are. Even her "low tier" moves don't suck as much as others' like ZSS's F-Smash or Luigi's Fireball. I mean, look at her specials: every single one of them is absolutely amazing. Very, very few other characters can say that all of their specials have such practicality.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*

- Dsmash
- Usmash
- Dtilt
- Fsmash

High

- Nair
- Bair
- Utilt
- Dthrow
- Fair

Mid

- Nayru's
- Dash Attack
- Uair
- Din's
- Jab
- Dair
- FW
- Uthrow
- Bthrow

Low

- Ftilt
- Fthrow

A class of it's own:
- Transform

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Making that list just made me realize exactly how boss all of Zelda's moves are. Even her "low tier" moves don't suck as much as others' like ZSS's F-Smash or Luigi's Fireball. I mean, look at her specials: every single one of them is absolutely amazing. Very, very few other characters can say that all of their specials have such practicality.
Wigi's fireball can be very useful if used properly.

And Zelda's specials really suck compared to some other characters. Lucas is low tier and his specials pwn Zelda's.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Wigi's fireball can be very useful if used properly.

And Zelda's specials really suck compared to some other characters. Lucas is low tier and his specials pwn Zelda's.
neither lucas nor any other character has anything on Down+B. PT is like a weaker version of it. and nayru's is actually a very good move, MUCH MUCH MUCH better than lucas's B move.

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
Eh... Lucas's only real "high-tier" special is PSI Magnet. I'd give PK Fire and PK Thunder mid-tier and PK Freeze low.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Dtilt

Other
The rest
Yes.

Dtilt - her best move period.
Dsmash - her best ground kill move.

Outside of that there is argument. I would say Naryus is highly overrated and would not put it any higher than middle tier. Too much lag at the end of the move to allow for true reflector use from a spammy character and unreliable hit boxes.

Villi

Smash Lord
Dtilt is good, but I think it's slightly overrated. It's not the easiest move to land or execute, and unless I'm buffering it out of my shield, a nair, or I'm already crouching, it's not gonna come out in 5 frames. It's a good at certain percentages -- a window for damage racking and a smaller window for an up tilt setup (if you didn't use it for damage racking)-- but otherwise it's about as useful as a good jab.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Dtilt has a ton of priority and clanks with a bunch of fsmashes, dsmashes and such. Snakes ftilt, kirby's fsmash, Rob's dsmash are just a few that it clanks with. If people get inside your spacing it is a great move to throw out. I damage rack with it so it is always decayed so I can trip and kill with dsmash but if it isn't then utilt when they pop up.

Another thing I love that it foils is MK's dash approach. It's just another thing Zelda does to neutralize MK (sure it isn't even but helps when you narrow his approaches).

Villi

Smash Lord
It clanks if they hit her feet before they hit her head, but when has clanking with Snake's ftilt or Rob's dsmash ever been any benefit? Snake can just throw out another one faster than you can dtilt again. Rob can do the same and you're better off punishing that with an LK out of shield.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Clanking can cause a moment for you to reset spacing and get out of harms way. Roll/Shield/Spot Dodge especially if you think the opponent is going to throw another of the same move. That is when you punish. Clanking can save you from the big killing blow, which saved me a few times against 2 different kirbys this weekend. Not everyone will just throw the same move again because it clanked.

Villi

Smash Lord
I suppose. I'm pretty sure this is Zelda's only move that will clank with anything. The rest either just trade or out range.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
If you want a quick way to dtilt without crouching or buffering, just hit your analog downwards as well as your c stick for the first dtilt, then you can move onto A afterwards for repeats. Plus I'm not exactly in the camp that all her smashes are godly, only her down smash, DIing out of her smashes just gets easier and easier as time passes, but a down smash will end me and that's the end of it... which amazingly is pretty much a staple after a connected dtilt <_<

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Dtilt would be top everything if a few characters couldn't jab her out of it. Otherwise there's practically no downside to it.

Also, people like to say that her smashes are easy to DI out of, but I've yet to see anyone actually do it properly in any tourney vids.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Zelda isn't very common so only people familiar with her seem to know how to get out of her smashes. It also seems to depend on the character. If they are a real big character than they get stuck in it, but I was playing a Marth and a ZSS who could handle the DI without trouble. If I had vidz to show it, then I would but I don't. If I get a chance, the next time I play them I will try to get it recorded.

I still think her smashes are fantastic. I only believe her Dtilt is the most versatile.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Dtilt would be top everything if a few characters couldn't jab her out of it. Otherwise there's practically no downside to it.

Also, people like to say that her smashes are easy to DI out of, but I've yet to see anyone actually do it properly in any tourney vids.
Aside from dm, you see zelda tourney vids?

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
In ANY vids. I have never seen anyone do it consistently. Maybe they DI out here and there but I never see it happen more then once or twice per match.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Dtilt is good, but I think it's slightly overrated. It's not the easiest move to land or execute, and unless I'm buffering it out of my shield, a nair, or I'm already crouching, it's not gonna come out in 5 frames. It's a good at certain percentages -- a window for damage racking and a smaller window for an up tilt setup (if you didn't use it for damage racking)-- but otherwise it's about as useful as a good jab.
No wonder we like it, Zelda could use a good jab...

I think that Naryu's is overrated. It's slow to hit, laggy on recovery, and doesn't guarantee your safety even if you hit. Plus it's a pretty terrible reflector, which is what it's supposed to be. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad, I just don't think it's as good as most people seem to think.

Zelda's throws should all be low IMO because they all come from that terrible grab animation.

I agree with most that Usmash and Dsmash are Zelda's two best moves. We'd be in big trouble in a lot of matches without those two moves.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman

Usmash
Fsmash
Dsmash
------------
High

Nair
Dtilt
Nayru's
-----------
Middle

Din's
Jab/Grab
Bair/Fair
Uair
Farore's
-----------
Low

Utilt
Dair
Ftilt
-----------
Bottom

Transform -- (I don't use it at all)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't use my moves according to this really though. I just go with whatever fits the situation in a game.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I dunno which I would want sooner - a jab that doesn't suck (and I don't care if people make it seem like it can set up some great things... because it sucks regardless) or a grab animation that... well, actually her grab isn't bad on its own, but compared to a lot of characters, it isn't all too great. Not to mention, her pummel has sooo much lag for something that rarely does 3% in an actual match. It reminds me of a lot of Melee pummels, except characters (seemingly) break out of hers faster, it's a bit slower, and she's often hitting for a little more than 2% but not quite 3%. At least her throws can KO and they have decent power. I say they should've given her Mewtwo's Up Throw's throwback.

As for what we have, I don't quite feel like making a complete list, but I will say that nair is definitely one of her best moves. You can buffer dtilt out of it, for one. The multi-hits are a great compliment for the rest of her aerials and it can be used to approach. This move also seems to override jointed ground attacks, though this could just be due to positioning. The damage is decent and it edgeguards quite well. Essentially, it works a lot like Lucas's nair. You can combo with it at low damages out of an Usmash.

I know this isn't the move discussion thread, but I just had to remind myself how good of a move this is.

Also, I don't think fair/bair should be below mid. Honestly, once you learn the sweetspot in and out and you start coming up with ways to set a kick up, you only have to keep in mind that sourspotting gets you punished (at lower damages anyway).They're not all that great for approaching, true, but that is why you have nair. Leave the approaching/defensive crap to nair and throw your offense into the kicks.They're amazing out of shield and they both have excellent range. The main awesome thing about them, as we should already know, is that they hurt. Big time. Once you use it enough and once people stop comparing it to moves that are designed to cover huge areas or to combo with, these kicks start to shine. They should never be below mid.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I would have put the kicks higher but the faster you learn new ways to hit them, the faster your opponents learn to avoid them.

And I too would love a jab that doesn't suck. Or even just an extra 3% would make it meaningful.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Yeah.. I think the kicks should be right in the middle. Which I think is where I put them in my list anyway. Actually switch it with my jab/grab spot. and there 's my revised list. lol

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yeah.. I think the kicks should be right in the middle. Which I think is where I put them in my list anyway. Actually switch it with my jab/grab spot. and there 's my revised list. lol
Hey, hope you decide to stick around a little bit more:)

I think if Zeldas jab came out on a decent frame..........it would be really good. The only downside to the move is how slow it comes out, but it does have uses.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I dunno which I would want sooner - a jab that doesn't suck (and I don't care if people make it seem like it can set up some great things... because it sucks regardless) or a grab animation that... well, actually her grab isn't bad on its own, but compared to a lot of characters, it isn't all too great. Not to mention, her pummel has sooo much lag for something that rarely does 3% in an actual match. It reminds me of a lot of Melee pummels, except characters (seemingly) break out of hers faster, it's a bit slower, and she's often hitting for a little more than 2% but not quite 3%. At least her throws can KO and they have decent power. I say they should've given her Mewtwo's Up Throw's throwback.

As for what we have, I don't quite feel like making a complete list, but I will say that nair is definitely one of her best moves. You can buffer dtilt out of it, for one. The multi-hits are a great compliment for the rest of her aerials and it can be used to approach. This move also seems to override jointed ground attacks, though this could just be due to positioning. The damage is decent and it edgeguards quite well. Essentially, it works a lot like Lucas's nair. You can combo with it at low damages out of an Usmash.

I know this isn't the move discussion thread, but I just had to remind myself how good of a move this is.

Also, I don't think fair/bair should be below mid. Honestly, once you learn the sweetspot in and out and you start coming up with ways to set a kick up, you only have to keep in mind that sourspotting gets you punished (at lower damages anyway).They're not all that great for approaching, true, but that is why you have nair. Leave the approaching/defensive crap to nair and throw your offense into the kicks.They're amazing out of shield and they both have excellent range. The main awesome thing about them, as we should already know, is that they hurt. Big time. Once you use it enough and once people stop comparing it to moves that are designed to cover huge areas or to combo with, these kicks start to shine. They should never be below mid.
I hate Zelda's dash-grab; If you're too close you just go right through your opponent.

*Sigh* I need to work on spacing.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
It definetly has become a fad.... surprised my idea has gone so far lol.

This is the only tier list that will have smashes only in the top tier, lol.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
My opinion just fyi.

Upsmash
Dsmash

high
Dtilt
Fsmash
Bair

middle
Dair
Uair
Dash attack
Nair
Nayru's Love
Din's Fire
Fair
Ftilt
Jab

low
Utilt
Farore's Wind
Transform

Bandit

Smash Lord
@RedSnowman

I am confused as to why you placed Utilt. Utilt kills earlier than Fsmash fresh though it is a slower start-up move. I would think it would land in the middle tier at least because I can't see jab and Dair being better than this move. I am just curious as to why it is the only attack move you put in the low tier (unless you really want to count FW as an attack and not a recovery).

@Kaffei

This is just another reason you have to question why you are trying to charge in anyway. Remember Zelda is better on defense but her throws are very sub-par at this point in the meta-game. DThrow can combo to a Nair but if the opponent figures out the correct DI, it is impossible to combo anything with Dthrow. I know because my training partner has figured that out. Her throws also don't kill at all.

If you are going to dash in you really have two options:
-shield cancel and attack from there
-dash attack (punishable if shielded)

Personally, I have been working on the first as I had a bad habit of the 2nd. I've gotten it to a point where I can Fsmash at low percents and follow with a dash attack safely or throw it out surprisingly (when fresh) at high percents (120+) and score a surprise kill.

Villi

Smash Lord
I also love dash attack. @_@ Dthrow can really do some **** mind games on people who don't know better. =/ It's unfortunate the animation is so slow. Backthrow vs. fthrow is decent. I've surprised a number of people by suddenly backthrowing them at a high percent when they were DI'ing to expect an fthrow. It usually sends them off the stage at a more manageable trajectory and has scored me a rare high percent KO from the other side of the screen. Up throw is EH. You might be able to get a moderately low percent up air gimp off it.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
It might just be me, but I really don't like dash attack that much. Generally when opponents see Zelda running towards them, they put up a shield. Dash attack actually has a nice vertical hit box, so I do hit them if they airdodged and i'm up to them right before they touch the ground.

I might need to start exploring more with dash attack since everyone sees it as so useful.

Villi

Smash Lord
I hardly ever run before dash attacking. I like to use it from standing position for its speed and range. It's also good oos against attacks with good shield pushback.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
@RedSnowman

I am confused as to why you placed Utilt. Utilt kills earlier than Fsmash fresh though it is a slower start-up move. I would think it would land in the middle tier at least because I can't see jab and Dair being better than this move. I am just curious as to why it is the only attack move you put in the low tier (unless you really want to count FW as an attack and not a recovery).
Well I'm glad you asked. Really I like all of Zelda's moves. Her multihit jabs saves me on occasion and I really think everything can be useful... including her utilt. It's really down there just as a style of play difference for myself. I mean I know it can trade hits and kill at lower percentages, but I never really use it. I mean there is a time where you should use each and every one of her moves, whether it be Naryus, nair, dtilt, or whatever but I just really don't use the utilt. It might be because my roommate is a spotdodging master/*****, or he does a ****load of it, and he punishes me for single hits that he spotdodges. He plays Weeg (who has a shorter duration of spotdodging than most characters) and hell if I throw out fsmashes too much he will spotdodge all the hits then I get a jab and a dsmash. So I probably don't have it in my game because he punishes me for it and I prefer multi-hit moves like fsmash, usmahs, and naryus, that counter his excessive dodging.

Also I love dair off the stage, I mean if you really pressure them and your timing is good, you force certain recoveries. I really think Zelda has a lot of off the edge gimping potential if she knows her opponent, and dair is just as useful as f/bair sometimes to me off the stage. I also use it to mix up my recovery to the ground with a ffdair and that's nice. Plus spikes are fun as hell.

Also a note of the dash attack. I really like it. I mean it's a hard hit, has some distance, can surprise people, and if you use it sparingly you don't get punished for it. It leads into stuff and really I find it a be a solid dash attack. I also agree with Villi about using it from standing position.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
I hardly ever run before dash attacking. I like to use it from standing position for its speed and range. It's also good oos against attacks with good shield pushback.
Random note: You can buffer dash attack out of a down tilt, it just takes a bit of practice.

Top Bottom