• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Complete waste of a character slot and should have been an alt costume at best) in Brawl.
Toon Link? A Waste?
If I remember correctly, didn't Sakurai state that he felt that Zelda needed both a young and adult Link in order to correctly represent the Zelda universe as a whole? Something like that. Besides, if anyone was a waste of a slot, it would be R.O.B.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Personally, I think it's because Link in Smash 64 is based on ALTTP Link. Remember that Smash 64 came out in Japan on January 1999... OOT came out in Japan on November 1998. Smash 64 was originally not going to have Nintendo characters... perhaps Sakurai decided to add Link... and gave him moves based on ALTTP but used Link's OOT 3D character model.
It would still eman he's a composite of the two, even if he only takes visuals from OoT.

Also, let's not forget Link's stage in Smash 64... Hyrule Castle... on the surface, it looks like the castle seen in OOT... but we never got on the roof of the castle in OOT... but we did in ALTTP.
But we did see the top of the castle, and the stage in 64 is clearly based on that.

[COLLAPSE="Proof"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Toon Link? A Waste?
If I remember correctly, didn't Sakurai state that he felt that Zelda needed both a young and adult Link in order to correctly represent the Zelda universe as a whole? Something like that. Besides, if anyone was a waste of a slot, it would be R.O.B.
Toon Link and R.O.B. are both great characters. There are no wasted slots...

Eithery way, what would you do if we got a new character from a Wii U/3DS game that's in development?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's, again, a peeve I have. It doesn't make sense to me that Samus, for example, is technically taking up two slots. Same with Doc and Mario. Basically, if the character is a part of the other character, I want them to be in one slot.

...I switch between characters in a match...
Considering that Samus and Zamus are ONLY accessible through each other's final smashes (and that was dumb), they're just better off being in separate slots.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
@Swampasaur
I wouldn't mind Dillon, but he's not in development anymore. I guess I wouldn't mind.
Also, I don't think R.O.B. was a "waste" per se, but I think out of EVERYONE, he is the one who is most likely and tolerable to leave.
@KumaOso
B-but, you can acess Zamus with the shield button on the select screen..

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It would still eman he's a composite of the two, even if he only takes visuals from OoT.

But we did see the top of the castle, and the stage in 64 is clearly based on that.

[COLLAPSE="Proof"]

[/COLLAPSE]
What I am saying is that Link did not have access to the roof top of Hyrule Castle in OOT but he did have access in ALTTP.

Hyrule Castle wasn't really that important in OOT... we only needed to go there one time to talk to Zelda and get the song from Impa. Hyrule Castle played a bigger role in ALTTP... it served as the first dungeon (basement) and the fourth dungeon (tower) and the nexus between Light and Dark Worlds.

Sakurai could have picked Temple of Time instead since it was more important than Hyrule Castle in OOT but he chose Hyrule Castle, or more specifically, the roof top of Hyrule Castle because it was significant in ALTTP.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Sakurai could have picked Temple of Time instead since it was more important than Hyrule Castle in OOT but he chose Hyrule Castle, or more specifically, the roof top of Hyrule Castle because it was significant in ALTTP.
But VISUALLY, it's practically ripped from OoT. The only thing different is the gazebo, and the 3 platforms on the central tower.

Edit: also, rooftop wasn't that important in ALttP. Was just one small part of the whole thing.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
Toon Link? A Waste?
Oh, my apologies. I didn't explain myself thoroughly enough.

Toon Link should have been playable, I just think it would have been smarter to package both he and Young Link via unlockable costumes, or something of that nature.

But to take up a character slot on the selection screen was a bit much, imo.

So playable, yes definitely.
Hogging a slot tha could have been occupied (hypothetically) by Isaac, Ray, Starfy, Saki / Isa, or any other newcomer that could have represented a new series or an under-represented series, no.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, my apologies. I didn't explain myself thoroughly enough.

Toon Link should have been playable, I just think it would have been smarter to package both he and Young Link via unlockable costumes, or something of that nature.

But to take up a character slot on the selection screen was a bit much, imo.

So playable, yes definitely.
Hogging a slot tha could have been occupied (hypothetically) by Isaac, Ray, Starfy, Saki / Isa, or any other newcomer that could have represented a new series or an under-represented series, no.
Coulda Woulda Shoulda doesn't make anyone feel better. Besides, if it wasn't Toon Link, we would have gotten a forbidden 7 character. Not those of which you mentioned.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
@Wondra
Still, though, you could say the same thing about R.O.B. Toon Link deserves his slot; he's an important character to the Zelda universe, and has starred in six games, and is getting an HD remake, thus being relevant.
Anyways, Swampasaur couldn't have said it better. If Toon Link wasn't it, we'd likely get Mewtwo.

On the second thought...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But VISUALLY, it's practically ripped from OoT. The only thing different is the gazebo, and the 3 platforms on the central tower.

Edit: also, rooftop wasn't that important in ALttP. Was just one small part of the whole thing.
I said the Hyrule Castle in Smash 64 looks like the one from OOT (implying that it was ripped from OOT) but the location itself wasn't that important in OOT like it was in ALTTP. And even if the roof top wasn't important in ALTTP, we still had access to it unlike in OOT.

I wish we had gotten Mewtwo, but not at the expense of ROB. ROB is a lot of fun, even if he's a bizarre choice for a character.
R.O.B. and Mewtwo are not Zelda characters. Take it to the General Character Discussion thread or something.

And besides, I am glad R.O.B. got in even if Mewtwo got cut... because it gave me a new character to play with. That's the reason I buy Smash sequels... to play with new characters.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I wish we had gotten Mewtwo, but not at the expense of ROB. ROB is a lot of fun, even if he's a bizarre choice for a character.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I honestly dont think we need to splinter off all these variant versions though, one link and one zelda should be enough at this point, sure they could do all kinds of different things with them but honestly id rather see new characters from the zelda universe if anything.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I said the Hyrule Castle in Smash 64 looks like the one from OOT (implying that it was ripped from OOT) but the location itself wasn't that important in OOT like it was in ALTTP. And even if the roof top wasn't important in ALTTP, we still had access to it unlike in OOT.
Doesn't matter that it was important in ALttP. It's the one from OoT, no bones about it. The rooftop in ALttP, as important as it might be, looked nothing like the one in Smash.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
Coulda Woulda Shoulda doesn't make anyone feel better. Besides, if it wasn't Toon Link, we would have gotten a forbidden 7 character. Not those of which you mentioned.
"Should Woulda Coulda doesn't make anyone feel better." = Irrelevant and borderline confrontational statement.

We're discussing character inclusion, correct?
The manner in which characters are included is certainly valid.

@Wondra
Still, though, you could say the same thing about R.O.B. Toon Link deserves his slot; he's an important character to the Zelda universe, and has starred in six games, and is getting an HD remake, thus being relevant.
Anyways, Swampasaur couldn't have said it better. If Toon Link wasn't it, we'd likely get Mewtwo.

On the second thought...
Toon Link was very much a copy and paste addition. Mainly because it's not like he has much potential to be much different than Link anyway.

While having both Lucario and Mewtwo could be seen as redundant, that's only so due to Sakurai's conscious decision to make Lucario so similar to Mewtwo, assuming Mewtwo wasn't intended to get a moveset overhaul.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Lucario and Mewtwo would feel plenty different from each other all things considered. Barring the slightly similar B-move, and minor other things they aren't the same. Both being in Brawl wouldn't be redundant.

And Toon Link could be vastly different from Link, if they chose to do so.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Toon Link was very much a copy and paste addition. Mainly because it's not like he has much potential to be much different than Link anyway.

Sakurai certainly worked more on him than young link. :laugh:. He HAS potential, a whole lot for that matter. Just play any of his games.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Doesn't matter that it was important in ALttP. It's the one from OoT, no bones about it. The rooftop in ALttP, as important as it might be, looked nothing like the one in Smash.
OMG.... because I SAID it was ripped from OOT.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Toon Link could be vastly different from Link, if they chose to do so.
Or only slightly different. Personally, I feel that with most of the changes seen in P:M(-that horrid aerial ^B, +changing arrowheads, and maybe +Deku Leaf post aerial^B ) he'd be perfect(+/- tweaks to account for the engine of course).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

While having both Lucario and Mewtwo could be seen as redundant, that's only so due to Sakurai's conscious decision to make Lucario so similar to Mewtwo, assuming Mewtwo wasn't intended to get a moveset overhaul.

Toon Link was not a copy/paste addition. And he has huge potential. Have you played Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Minish Cap and the Four Swords games?

And Lucario and Mewtwo weren't similar in the slightest.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
Toon Link was not a copy/paste addition. And he has huge potential. Have you played Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Minish Cap and the Four Swords games?
Again, I don't question his deserving to be included. I just don't think he merited an entirely sepeaate character slot.

And Lucario and Mewtwo weren't similar in the slightest.
They were similar enough, Just like Fox/Falco, Falcon/Ganondorf, oh yeah, and Link/Toon Link.

I'm an advocate of diving deeper into moveset potential, not excluding deserving characters.

There's no reason any of the aforementioned pairs have to play so similarly, even if that similarity is based on something like aesthetics. There's too much material being overlooked, imo..

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
He merits a separate slot if they actually utilize him more. I'm all for Luigi's, but they should try and branch Toon Link out more than he has been. One thing I think that could be fun is a FS based off of Four Swords instead.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Tingle Moveset
Neutral B - Rupee Throw
Throws a rupee as a projectile. Has trajectory and can be charged to go further. Color is random, but only for decoration.*
B<> - Noggin Bonk
Brings down his abnormally shaped and sized head in front of him for an attack similar to Olimar's.
B^ - Tingle Balloon*
Blows up his signature red balloon, after it's blown he can jump 4 times and each time it gets deflated more.*
Bv - Plumet
Tingle dives downward with his head first.*
A - headbutt, kick, punch
A<> - Tingle Roll
Does a front flip. Damage is caused if touched, weird range because of his head.*
A^ - Rupee Scatter
Tosses a wave of rupees upward of various colors, press twice to do it again consecutively, waves may have different amounts of rupees, however this doesn't affect hit boxes.
Av - Whoops.*
Tingle falls over. Doesn't cause self harm, because self harm sucks. Damages anybody standing in the ground close to him, and knocks them on their butts.*
Grabs:*
A dust cloud appears as tingle is attacking an opponent that he has grabbed.*
If thrown, he'll roll backwards and throw them, with decent knockback, and throw rupees at them sort of like mewtwo does.*

Shield: Covers his eyes*
Taunt 1: Tingle, Tingle, Koolooh-Limpah!
Taunt 2: Makes the grin he does after throwing Rupees in the pond in FP:TRRL
Taunt 3: Tingle accidentally drops a rupee and ecstatically picks it back up.*
Entrance: Flies in by balloon.*
Weight: 1/5, same as Olimar
Height: 1/5, a tiny bit taller than Olimar
Speed: 3/5, a bit slower than Fox
Fall speed: Slightly floaty*

:phone:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@TheCreator
You posted it here again? Oh, in hope of a larger audience, i suppose.

Edit: You didn't include my ideas... :/

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No offense The Creator... but that's seems like your screaming out for attention. The one in your Tingle thread was fine.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link's major difference from most of the other Links isn't something that can be easily added to Smash. His big difference is that he's not some lazy or reluctant chosen one. He's just a kid who gets mad and does something. He earns that Triforce of Courage by continuing the fight even after he's rescued his sister. And he does it all while being crazy adorable.

I can see Wondra's point about Link being a legacy character and only needing one slot, but I'd go as far as to say that Toon Link is just about his own separate legacy character. As far as I can remember none of the Toon Links have been chosen ones - a beachrat in Wind Waker, a blacksmith in Minish Cap, an engineer in Spirit Tracks. Toon Link is the regular guy who says no. He's a working man's hero.

I'd like to see a correspondingly grittier moveset. Let's have him roll on the ground, because if we're being honest we all spent hours doing that in Wind Waker.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I prefer Pajama Toon Link and I think that's the more likely alt. But hey, I don't mind the train conductor's outfit either. SS Link would definitely get the Skyloft alt.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This new guys seriously is calling Lucario a Mewtwo clone? :rolleyes:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I have a funny feeling that the next Zelda rep maybe Toon Zelda/Tetra combo that was cut at the last minute from Brawl. Everyone is probably right that Skull Kid wish is probably a pipe dream.

Toon Link at least should have a seperate FS and I like the idea of using a 4 Sword move or perhaps something from WW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom