• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't care. Doesn't represent the Zelda from the series as a whole

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Seriously, which Zelda represents the series as a whole? Brawl Zelda doesn't come close. Melee Zelda... maybe.
Brawl Zelda looked close enough to melee Zelda except made the dress look more elegant and less Pink

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Not all of the costumes have to be like that though, one costume can be of the Skyward Sword Zelda. Besides, that Zelda is awesome.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really get this "represent Zelda from the series as a whole". The only ones I can think of is NES Zelda for being the first Zelda in the series and Skyward Sword Zelda for being the first (mortal non goddess) ancestor of all Zelda's chronologically wise... :/ And maybe Ocarina of Time Zelda with the whole Ocarina of Time popularity thing and all...

What exactly do you mean with "represent's Zelda from the series as a whole"?

The last three games had the latest Zeldas help rep the roster, SSB4 won't be any different with the likes of Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Ocarina of Time 3D (especially Skyward Sword)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Perhaps having some traits of every Zelda of the series.
This. The Zelda characters in Smash are(or should be, anyway) composites of all their different incarnations, taking elements from many different incarnations.

Sounds pretty impossible, though. >_>
Kinda like making Ridley playable. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously, which Zelda represents the series as a whole? Brawl Zelda doesn't come close. Melee Zelda... maybe.
Neither.

Melee Zelda WAS literally Ocarina of Time Zelda. Brawl Zelda was just Ocarina of Time Zelda in the skin of Twilight Princess Zelda... Only thing TP-related was her Final Smash. I wanted her to have the rapier for her moves before her announcement in Brawl I remember. Was slightly dissapointed that she didn't have it.

Link was represented a lot better. They made up their 'wrong' with having Adult Link have the Boomerang in 64 and Melee by giving him the Gale Boomerang in Brawl. Which sucked really bad. But they do pay attention to details I feel.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Perhaps having some traits of every Zelda of the series. Sounds pretty impossible, though. >_>
But almost every Zelda has something completely different going for each of them. some are serious, other's are bubbly, one is a pirate, the other is a musician as well as a ninja, then you have the like's who know about their destinies and all while other's are unaware of it etc etc.

The only thing they have in common is that their all princesses who live in the land of Hyrule bearing the Triforce of Wisdom. And they all are descendant's of the Goddess Hylia with her first mortal form being Skyward Sword Zelda. SS Zelda is the only one who lacks the princess stuff for obvious reason's but is that really a good enough reason to not include her in Smash? :/

Honestly, I can't think of any better "representative of Zelda as a whole" than Skyward Sword Zelda since chronologically she was the first Zelda and the one who started the Royal Family etc. Besides her I guess its the NES Zelda and maybe OoT Zelda, and I don't think their very likely for smash 4 beyond a colour swap and a sticker etc.

But honestly, that's just me I guess... >_> I suppose a moveset from all the games could work though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, if care more about the gameplay than the story, than the newest Zelda doesn't make much sense.

Since, Nintendo didn't really care about the story much until they noticed the speculation.

Every Zelda up to a certain point recreated the universe from scratch using similar lore, not caring about following canon of the previous.

They even had to create 3 alternate timelines to justify the vast change in story from game to game

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I honestly don't think Nintendo would rely on this "represent's Zelda from the series as a whole" thing anyway's or any of these lore's and all when it comes to Smash Bros. Skyward Sword was the latest Zelda game, so they will more than likely go for that design of Zelda for smash 4. :/ I'm pretty sure most people will realise that she's the latest Zelda from the latest Zelda game.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
She also represents one of the most important entries in the series, seeing as how that was the 25th anniversary zelda game. It was very important to nintendo and the zelda team

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well I honestly don't think Nintendo would rely on this "represent's Zelda from the series as a whole" thing anyway's or any of these lore's and all when it comes to Smash Bros. Skyward Sword was the latest Zelda game, so they will more than likely go for that design of Zelda for smash 4. :/ I'm pretty sure most people will realise that she's the latest Zelda from the latest Zelda game.
I don't see why they have to always conform to the newest Zelda in the series. Smash is about all stars, not just showing what's now

and if the 25th anniversary's meant anything, Mario would have got more than a reprint of the worst version of Mario All Stars

D

Deleted member

Guys, the "lastest" thing is bull****.

The Oracle titles were the latest games before Melee, yet Link stayed in OoT style, Zelda was added in OoT style, and Ganondorf was added in Spaceworld 2000 style (which is LIKE OoT, but not exactly the same).

And as for why Toon Link instead of "TP inspired Young Link"? Toon Link was a popular request for Brawl according to Chrono, known in Japan as "Cat Eyes Link".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganondorf DID use the most recent design. Even from a game that was not even released, and never came out in the first place. Ocarina of Time Ganondorf had long hair when he fought Link in Ganon's Castle. They went with Ocarina of Time for Link and Zelda cause it was the latest MAJOR CONSOLE RELEASE. Which is what Skyward Sword is now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well looking back at Brawl, Melee and 64. They usually show off their character's design's based on how they looked the latest instead of the earliest. That's why Mario and Link looked more like how they did in their N64 outing's rather than their first NES appearances. And then in Brawl they were updated to how they looked like in their Gamecube Appearances (or whatever their latest appearance was, such as with Fox and his DS game)

The same will likely happen in Smash 4.

As for the Oracle Thing, well Nintendo themselves hardly ever seem's to show much love toward's their handheld Zelda's anyway's. Or else we could of had Toon Link more based on how he was in Phantom Hourglass or Minish Cap. Then again, Toon Link does seem to have some hint's to his Phantom Hourglass design.

I honestly wouldn't have minded Oracle Link in Melee.

D

Deleted member

Ganondorf DID use the most recent design. Even from a game that was not even released, and never came out in the first place. Ocarina of Time Ganondorf had long hair when he fought Link in Ganon's Castle. They went with Ocarina of Time for Link and Zelda cause it was the latest MAJOR CONSOLE RELEASE. Which is what Skyward Sword is now.
Unless you have proof that being a "MAJOR CONSOLE RELEASE" meant anything and was the reason why the designs were used, you cannot claim it as fact.

And no, SpaceWorld Ganondorf is not the exact same as OoT Ganondorf. Anyone that isn't blind can see that there are distinct differences.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They've gone with the appearances in the MAJOR CONSOLE RELEASEs 3 times in a row, so its definitely not a coincidence.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

They've gone with the appearances in the MAJOR CONSOLE RELEASEs 3 times in a row, so its definitely not a coincidence.

In which case, why are Link and Zelda not children, considering that well, Majora's Mask was the latest MAJOR CONSOLE RELEASE, not OoT?

And if patterns were to be followed, then I suppose we should automatically assume that StarFox will get a character. Not just any character, but another character that has similar Specials to the rest.

Seriously, this whole "latest design" pattern is complete bull**** no matter which way you look at it.
When excuses have to be made to justify why certain designs are used, there's no pattern to begin with.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well said, Golden, well said... this whole 'latest' argument is poor, especially when there's evidence to prove how poor those arguments are.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
First you said to diddy that the trend of latest design appearances was bull****, with no proof.

Then you said to diddy that unless he had proof that the MAJOR CONSOLE RELEASES were the reason why the designs were used, he couldn't say it was fact.

What

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Oracle games where not nearly promoted as much as Ocarina of Time. Really, why the hell even try to deny the fact they go with the most major console releases?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, Majora's Mask was actually represented quite a bit in Melee what with it getting a stage even (two if you count the Majora's Mask trophy) as well as a number of trophies. Sure it may not have been in character design's. (Even though Young Link but without those specific weapons and all)

Wherea's the Handheld Zelda's still didn't get nearly as much representation in Melee than the N64 Zelda's did.

If latest form is the key thing, why did the characters use OoT designs instead of Oracle designs in Melee?
And don't tell me that Ganondorf couldn't, since he had a scrapped design:
Latest major forms I guess

So Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword pretty much

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It is what happened SO FAR, it doesn't mean that it will definitely happen. Learn to make compelling arguments.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Oracle games where not nearly promoted as much as Ocarina of Time. Really, why the hell even try to deny the fact they go with the most major console releases?
In the end, it all comes down to popularity and promotion. They choose the one which is more promoted.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In the end, it all comes down to popularity and promotion. They choose the one which is more promoted.

Skyward Sword was MASSIVELY promoted and hyped. Why we are even still in argument about this is still beyond me, but I'll continue it for the sake of it.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Let's not this is a stupid discussion. Lol
Just because I'm bored, what are you guys hoping for from the HD Zelda being made for Wii U?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom