• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Diddy is blind confirmed.

Seriously, it's like a game of "Find *insert number* differences".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You're welcome 3Bismyname. ^_^

As for this whole design debate. I really can't wait for the first trailer's to come so we can finally end this pointless debate about what kind of design they would go for with the Zelda character's (or at least with Zelda and Link).

If it's Skyward Sword then... told ya. If not then alright, I won't loose any sleep over it even though it would have been cool to play as SS Link and Zelda in smash. I'd be rooting for Toon Link's return then.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Golden: Another possibility. And there's the possibility that they will make new models for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf from scratch since there are no HD models done already. Unless the new Wii U Zelda already has models that can be ported to SSB4, Sakurai's team may end up doing their own designs.
It doesn't work that way. None of the character models were imported from other games. The only time we've had model imports were the Brawl trophies and POSSIBLY the pokeball Pokemon.

And wasn't Fox based on how he looked in Starfox Command?
They more or less went for a composite design with the Starfox characters. Still doesn't explain the Mickey Mouse shoes though.

D

Deleted member

Maybe Fox and Falco just have really big feet in their redesign. :troll:

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Much like how Link and Zelda use OoT designs in Melee, while Ganondorf uses the SpaceWorld 2000 design, it can happen something similar in SSB4, in which Link uses the Skyward Sword design, while Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf keep their TP or revert back to Ocarina's (because of the 3DS remake) designs.
I really don't think they're going to go through the effort of trying to recreate the "Skyward Style" for Link and "revert" to past looks for the other characters.

I keep saying this time and time again, and will continue until we see Link in SSB4 trailer. (That will be HUGE thing I'm looking forward to.)

I am REALLY confident that they will be going with original designs for this iteration of Smash for the Zelda crew. Going with Skyward Sword style just does not make any sense. (Toon Link wasn't even cell shaded in Brawl.)

Aside from SS Ganondorf being non existent, SS Zelda is too "innocent" looking to look right fighting other characters. Shes not even her symbolic "princess" attire.

They will be pulling a "Melee" with this one I just know it. Link from the HD Zelda demo, and other characters will get Sakurai-Style original designs that reflect the series as a whole.

I'm confident this will happen.

:phone:

TheCreator

Smash Lord
So guys. Upon research. I've composed a list of games Tingle has appeared in. (including cameos)
He is in every single one of these games in some way or another:
LoZ Oracle of Ages
LoZ Phantom Hourglass
LoZ Skyward Sword
LoZ Spirit Tracks
LoZ Minish Cap
LoZ WW
LoZ MM
LoZ FSA
Smash Bros. Melee
Smash Bros. Brawl
Tingle's Balloon Fight
Freshly Picked: TRR
Color Changing: TBTL
Too Good to be True: Tingle Pack
Scribblenauts Unlimited
LoZ WWHD likely

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tingle is in the Oracle games? Don't remember him either in Phantom Hourglass or Minish Cap actually. But Skyward Sword Tingle is just a doll cameo though. Wouldn't know about Spirit Tracks or Four Sword Zelda games, didn't play those.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Cameos.

I'm thinking of asking a mod if I can start a new tingle thread, since I've been so dedicated to finding info for him and that stuff lately.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I really don't think they're going to go through the effort of trying to recreate the "Skyward Style" for Link and "revert" to past looks for the other characters.

I keep saying this time and time again, and will continue until we see Link in SSB4 trailer. (That will be HUGE thing I'm looking forward to.)

I am REALLY confident that they will be going with original designs for this iteration of Smash for the Zelda crew. Going with Skyward Sword style just does not make any sense. (Toon Link wasn't even cell shaded in Brawl.)
Oh so now I see, Your under the impression their going to reuse the exact same art style from Skyward Sword into link in smash. Of course they likely wouldn't. Like what they did with Toon Link in Brawl. They will go for the same design of Skyward Sword and retexture his model so it can fit in with the overall style of smash 4. Seriously, you guy's make it sound like Nintendo is incapable of doing so.

Aside from SS Ganondorf being non existent, SS Zelda is too "innocent" looking to look right fighting other characters. Shes not even her symbolic "princess" attire.
Has "innocent looking" ever held back any character's from becomming playable in smash? *sees the likes of "innocent looking" characters such as the Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Peach, Yoshi and Kirby etc* Honestly, this is super smash bros we are talking about, a game where a bunch of toy's/idols come to life and battle by launching each other away in a comedic like fashion only to show in the results screen that it was all in good fun all along etc. Not some kind of bloodthirsty deathmatch where everyone fights each other to the death... ¬_¬ As for the whole "princess" thing, well Toon Zelda can take care of that if they decided to finish her off from her leftover data from Brawl.

And honestly, if they can make Twilight Princess Zelda full of emotions in Brawls Subspace Emissary by making her look all happy, angry, surprised etc while she looked so emotionless in her original game. I'm sure they can turn Skyward Sword Zelda into a competent battler.

They will be pulling a "Melee" with this one I just know it. Link from the HD Zelda demo, and other characters will get Sakurai-Style original designs that reflect the series as a whole.

I'm confident this will happen.:phone:
Why would they be so lazy as to take a seperate model from a tech demo to reuse in smash? Sure they did it in melee with Ganondorf, but that was likely to get a quick and easy clone in smash in order to buff the roster. Sure in Brawl they likely did it with the trophies and probably the Pokeball Pokemon too, but I'm pretty sure their going to actually put some effort in the design's of the playable character's in order to make them all look as if they came from the same universe and all.

Honestly, you guy's sound like the smash team are too lazy to make their own HD fied and more detailed looking design of Skyward Sword Link and Zelda. And if they really are so and don't have any other resort but to take a model from some kind of tech demo or something. Skyward Sword Link does also have a very high definition model from the CGi trailer so I see no reason why Nintendo couldn't use that to work on Skyward Sword Link if they have to take a random model from somewhere.

Honestly, it sounds more to me like you guy's just have a personal bias against Skyward Sword and just desperately hope Nintendo wouldn't represent the game for smash Bros this time around. =/ Especially since they made such a huge deal about this game during the 25th anniversary and the fact they toke the longest time working on this game than probably any other Zelda game (with Ocarina of Time being possibly the only other game that toke them very long I believe). No way are they just going to let this game fall into obscurity like that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Skyward Sword was heavily promoted and hyped. I read somewhere that Nintendo is fond of that graphical style. They can't give it a miss.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it doesn't fit in with the rest of the style used with the other characters in smash, I hope they don't use it.

If anything, they might keep the looks of the characters, but change the style to match the rest of the cast. So, ss look with realistic shading/ textures

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If anything, they might keep the looks of the characters, but change the style to match the rest of the cast. So, ss look with realistic shading/ textures
I'm trying to imagine ROB, Snake and Wario in SS Style. :p I'm not a fan of that style, nor does that style fit the aforementioned characters. But seeing that it's inevitable, I wonder how they'll pull it off.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to imagine ROB, Snake and Wario in SS Style. :p I'm not a fan of that style, nor does that style fit the aforementioned characters. But seeing that it's inevitable, I wonder how they'll pull it off.

I don't think you're going to have to worry about Snake.

I for one welcome a Skyward Sword based redesign of Link, because I've been wanting to play as Taylor Swift in Smash Bros for ages.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Where ROB, Snake and Wario in Twilight Princess style in Brawl then? :rolleyes:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If it doesn't fit in with the rest of the style used with the other characters in smash, I hope they don't use it.

I hope not. I'd like to see more of a stylized look for the next Smash Bros. as oppossed to the bland "realistic" art style we've gotten.

I for one welcome a Skyward Sword based redesign of Link, because I've been wanting to play as Taylor Swift in Smash Bros for ages.
Because guys don't have lips, amirite?

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Oh so now I see, Your under the impression their going to reuse the exact same art style from Skyward Sword into link in smash. Of course they likely wouldn't. Like what they did with Toon Link in Brawl. They will go for the same design of Skyward Sword and retexture his model so it can fit in with the overall style of smash 4. Seriously, you guy's make it sound like Nintendo is incapable of doing so.
I know the impression I'm under. And truth be told, I'm fine with Link being Skyward style, I LOVED the game. I'm just saying what I believe is going to happen.

But that fact is what makes it "Skyward Style" is the texturing. If they go for the colorful "realistic-ish" style they've used for the past two games already, it doesn't make any sense.

If they tried to make a "Skyward" style Link fit in by applying textures that weren't there before, he would stray far from Skyward look. Why not just make an entirely new model instead of trying to recreate something? The reason Toon Link worked is because what makes him "toon link" isn't the texturing, its the cat eyes, and cartoon look.

… As for the whole "princess" thing, well Toon Zelda can take care of that if they decided to finish her off from her leftover data from Brawl.
Yes "innocent looking" HAS prevented characters from getting in. [See: Animal Crosser] Pokemon fight, that's what they do. Yoshi fights and eats, that's what he does. As Ice Climbers. But that really isn't important.

They're not (not as in might not) going to put in Toon Zelda. Its very very unlikely. Zelda needs her symbolic princess attire. You don't see peach in some alternative outfit from one game.

Why would they be so lazy as to take a seperate model from a tech demo to reuse in smash? Sure they did it in melee with Ganondorf, but that was likely to get a quick and easy clone in smash in order to buff the roster. Sure in Brawl they likely did it with the trophies and probably the Pokeball Pokemon too, but I'm pretty sure their going to actually put some effort in the design's of the playable character's in order to make them all look as if they came from the same universe and all.

Honestly, you guy's sound like the smash team are too lazy to make their own HD fied and more detailed looking design of Skyward Sword Link and Zelda. And if they really are so and don't have any other resort but to take a model from some kind of tech demo or something."

Honestly, it sounds more to me like you guy's just have a personal bias against Skyward Sword and just desperately hope Nintendo wouldn't represent the game for smash Bros this time around.

Lazy? Hahah I'm not saying that at all. And I also never suggested they "rip" the model. As someone said, when have they ever done that? CGI Skyward Sword Link from the trailer is prerendered though.

Again, I loved Skyward Sword whole heartedly, but if they go with the same art style as the past two games, its not going to fit unless they retexture them. Trying to "HD"fy Skyward Sword is pointless. At that point why not make brand new looks for them that reflect The series as a whole. That's what I'm saying they're going to do. That's what I'm confident is going to happen. If not with Link, then with Zelda and Ganondorf.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why does Zelda needs to be a princess when Skyward Sword basically let us know she's a Goddess reincarnation, hence why she's to become the head of the Kingdom of Hyrule.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But not everyone has played Skyward Sword... They'd probably like to keep her in her most recognizable attire.

Too bad for them. More people have probably played Skyward Sword than StarFox Command though. So there's no problem.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyways, I'm pretty heavily against going OoT for the THIRD time for Zelda characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know the impression I'm under. And truth be told, I'm fine with Link being Skyward style, I LOVED the game. I'm just saying what I believe is going to happen.

But that fact is what makes it "Skyward Style" is the texturing. If they go for the colorful "realistic-ish" style they've used for the past two games already, it doesn't make any sense.

If they tried to make a "Skyward" style Link fit in by applying textures that weren't there before, he would stray far from Skyward look. Why not just make an entirely new model instead of trying to recreate something? The reason Toon Link worked is because what makes him "toon link" isn't the texturing, its the cat eyes, and cartoon look.
I honestly think that this isn't much of an issue at all, besides I believe Sakurai himself said that he was trying to make all the characters look as if they came from the same universe. It's not just the Zelda cast that would get a retexturing overhaul. Besides Toon Link, we had a good number of other character's getting a retexturing overhaul in smash too. The Mario characters are pretty cartoony looking figures yet they all received a more realistic looking design in Melee and Brawl. Besides, recognising that the one Link of smash 4 doesn't necessarily have to be through the art style they have. You said Toon Link's most defining trait's are his cat eyes and body shape. Well SS Link defining trait's that set's him apart from the other Link's could be his baggy tight's as well as the fact he's right handed, when wielding his sword.

Yes "innocent looking" HAS prevented characters from getting in. [See: Animal Crosser] Pokemon fight, that's what they do. Yoshi fights and eats, that's what he does. As Ice Climbers. But that really isn't important.
Wasn't the Animal Crosser prevented because his entire game as well as the character was too peaceful. Not "innocent looking"?
Eitherway, you did not get my point. Yes I'm very well aware these characters have fought before. What I was getting at was the fact you stated that SS Zelda was too "innocent looking" in order to fight in smash. If one has never played any of these character's respective games before, some of them would probably question why these "innocent looking" characters were made playable in the first place until they actually try them out and see what they can do. They won't look at what they did in their own games though, but what they can in this game. SS Zelda may not have done much fighting in Skyward Sword, but even if she looks too "innocent to fight", once people play as her they will likely forget about it and just kick butt with her as usual. It doesn't matter if she fought before in Skyward Sword, its what she does in smash in the end. That's why I brought up TP Zelda with her Twilight Princess and Brawl comparisons. She didnt show much emotion in TP, but she certainly had it in Brawl. Yes its not big, but its still out of character. If they can do this with TP Zelda, they can certainly turn SS Zelda into a fighter then.

They're not (not as in might not) going to put in Toon Zelda. Its very very unlikely. Zelda needs her symbolic princess attire. You don't see peach in some alternative outfit from one game.
I only brought Toon Zelda up because of this "requirement" of yours that Zelda "needs" a Princess's attire. Isn't her Goddess Outfit close enough? Would it really hurt if she wears less jewellery?

Lazy? Hahah I'm not saying that at all. And I also never suggested they "rip" the model. As someone said, when have they ever done that? CGI Skyward Sword Link from the trailer is prerendered though.
You certainly sounded like that to me, my apologies if I misunderstood you.

Again, I loved Skyward Sword whole heartedly, but if they go with the same art style as the past two games, its not going to fit unless they retexture them. Trying to "HD"fy Skyward Sword is pointless. At that point why not make brand new looks for them that reflect The series as a whole. That's what I'm saying they're going to do. That's what I'm confident is going to happen. If not with Link, then with Zelda and Ganondorf.
I think SS would work just fine, and why waste time anyway's making sketches and redesign's of Link and Zelda when they can just go for the Skyward Sword one's anyway? What's stopping them besides the "art style" or "Zelda not looking like a princess" issue? And if Zelda "has" to look like a princess. They can just make Skyward Sword Zelda wear a princess attire. Not make an entire redesign for her to look like someone else.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yes also because of that. But more because of it being so incredibly boring. And Zelda needs to move PAST Ocarina of Time already.
That and without a visual change it becomes a bit redundant for them to look the same, especially when the zelda series is known to be ever changing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly. Zelda is not like StarFox, where there's REALLY only one actual good game in the series. :rolleyes: And even the StarFox cast have their models updated all the time. And not only rely on StarFox 64 looks. Why people even suggest Ocarina of Time looks again is only to make Sheik fit in. :smirk:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What do you guys think Tingle's design would be? From his own games, or from WW?

I believe it would be Wind Waker since its receiving an HD remake, and I believe that's his most recognisable (or common if your a Majora's Mask fan) look in the Zelda series.

I'm not sure, but I would personally prefer the Wind Waker design...

D

Deleted member

"Why people even suggest Ocarina of Time looks again is only to make Sheik fit in."

Yes, because it has nothing to do with the OoT looks being among the most iconic looks for the characters. :rolleyes:
And we don't need OoT to make Sheik "fit in".

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Also. To back up my Tingle stance. He HAS been in every smash bros game except 64 in some way. So if he steps up one notch from Brawl, from AT to playable, don't be surprised.

I'd also like to mention he's one of the Zelda characters that made it into Scriblenauts unlimited. And sheik. :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Also. To back up my Tingle stance. He HAS been in every smash bros game except 64 in some way. So if he steps up one notch from Brawl, from AT to playable, don't be surprised.
This isn't unique to Tingle you know. By this logic, would all ATs be playable in Smash 4?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Tingle was part of a stage in Melee as well. Just saying he's more likely than other Zelda characters at this point.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People don't seem to realise that if Toon Link could fit in Brawl's cast, so could Skyward Link and Zelda. In Link's case it's especially easy. Take Brawl Link, but add the artibutes and colors of SS Link. TP and SS Link look very alike anyway. And I still don't see the problem with SS Zelda, as she's a freaking Goddess. :rolleyes: Palutena is heavily requested right? What's wrong with SS Zelda now?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People don't seem to realise that if Toon Link could fit in Brawl's cast, so could Skyward Link and Zelda. In Link's case it's especially easy. Take Brawl Link, but add the artibutes and colors of SS Link. TP and SS Link look very alike anyway. And I still don't see the problem with SS Zelda, as she's a freaking Goddess. :rolleyes: Palutena is heavily requested right? What's wrong with SS Zelda now?

I think it's because people don't like her nose. At least. I've heard that argument before.

I can't see what they're talking about. It looks fine.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
She probably got punched by Groose or something? :smirk: But that's besides the point...

Also, she was a student as the Knight Acadamy. It's not a whole lot, but she's at least somewhat trained.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I for one really like Skyward Sword Zelda's design and I would love to see her playable in smash. They can do like Wario and make it possible to wear both her Skylof and Goddess outfit. :)

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
Watch: What's going to be super funny and cause headaches for everyone is that in the E3 Smash Bros. 4 trailer, we're going to see Link in a unique art-style unseen in any specfic Zelda game and we're still probably going to argue and debate what art style was chosen or what games his clothes were taken from.

Thus continuing the debate until they reveal Zelda and Ganondorf hahah

Oh man and thats not even beginning to think about the debates on any characters beyond those three...

Also a prediction of mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom