• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Honestly, aside from the change in shaders and the left-handedness, the difference in appearance between OoT Adult Link, TP Link and SS Link is negligible at best. I'd say it's still far too soon to make any kind of statements on what Link's design means for the rest of the Zelda cast, given that his appearance is effectively "Generic Adult Link".
The difference can change their moves and what items they use as well. For example, OOT's normal boomerang vs TP's gale boomerang.

CalumG

Smash Lord
The difference can change their moves and what items they use as well. For example, OOT's normal boomerang vs TP's gale boomerang.
Oh, of course - but we don't have any pictures or footage of the boomerang yet, do we?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Oh, of course - but we don't have any pictures or footage of the boomerang yet, do we?
No I was just referencing Brawl's changes. I hate the gale boomerang.

Not making any predictions, but I want no special versions of the weapons if I could choose.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm also troubled by people expecting him as the new Child Link.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but does that make them an actual Young Link archetype? As in, being believably different enough from Link as Young and Toon Link where?

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Ok, I can't really tell exactly what you're trying to ask there, but I always thought they were supposed to be considered "adults" like the OoT/TP/SS Links. The child Links literally consist of only OoT young Link, and the toons.

EDIT: Wait, are we treating "child" and "young" as different?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I meant, outside of Toon and Young Link, I don't really see any sort of Link being justified to make it in, as Toon and Young Link are believably lighter, smaller, weaker and faster for example. All other Links seem too similar to me. This isn't exactly like Paper Mario for example, who could be completely unique from Mario.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. All the other Links are effectively the same thing, as far as Smash Bros./probably Sakurai is concerned. I don't really see what difference any classic Link could provide.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I still say that the most realistic adult Link design was chosen in part so that the least realistic young design, Toon Link, would feel as different as possible. I think that if we get two Links, we're keeping TL.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ok, this has been bothering me for a little while now. . . .

Why are people considering Classic Link a child? Isn't he like 16?

Classic Link does not have a canon age. However, when looking at some of his artwork he looks younger than most adult characters. Making him look at about a similar height and age as Young Link.

As well as that in games like A Link to the Past GBA and A Link Between Worlds he has a voice of a kid (Though they are recycled from OoT Young Link and WW Toon Link though.)

If he were to be in Smash Bros, I'd imagine him to be about the same height as Young Link was in Melee. I would much prefer Toon Link though as qdMbp said, he provides a much bigger contrast in terms of design to TP Link than Young or Classic Link would.

If you have a better nickname for the three Link's feel free to share. Younger Link's? Second Link's? I don't know....

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Classic Link is essentially very similar to Young Link in size, shape, and attack power. He's probably only 12 at the oldest, so it's not much of a stratch for them to be about the same height. There are also other very different visual cues, like his long white sleeves and his not universally green hat.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I still say that the most realistic adult Link design was chosen in part so that the least realistic young design, Toon Link, would feel as different as possible. I think that if we get two Links, we're keeping TL.
It'd be weird to me for them to cut TL with a WW remake hitting the shelves a few months before SSB4's release. You have the reasoning of "oh, he's a clone" to leverage against him, but hey, it's not like any other Link wouldn't require just as much decloning.

I could see them removing him if they want to promote ALBW, but as Toon Link is popular, fits SSB4's aesthetic fantastically, and is visually the most distinctive other Link available, it would be very odd to see him swapped out for a new Link for any other reason.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Fi is worse than Navi, since Navi didnt make up stats to prove a point. Tatl was my favorite, because at times she didnt seem to really like you.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Tatl was the least bland among the fairies. She was less descriptive than Navi, but had more personality.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
The Zelda Franchise basically splits into two groups: The realistic-looking games, and the less-realistic games.

A realistic link, and a Toon Link, is the best way to go. I love Young Link but OOT and MM are gone and done for.

I also like the idea of a realistic zelda/sheik + a cartoony zelda/tetra.

Only room for one bad guy: The true king of evil: Ganondorf.

My dreams are Young Link + Masks, or Skull Kid.. Majora's Mask was the best game ever. But, I don't think it'll happen.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd really like to see Vaati though. I think he's the second most important Zelda villain after the Gerudo King, obviously.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Ok, I was thinking more of these. . .

. . . when I was refering to Classic Link. The original I guess might count as young enough, but the inconsistant artwork doesn't really help.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Game-related issues aside, I didn't mind Fi as a character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was bored.

Zelda character popularity (Based on Shortie's poll as of 1500 votes.)

Zelda 1207
Ganondorf 1107
Toon Link 597
Majora (Skull Kid) 411
Ghirahim 386
Vaati 243
Toon Zelda 234
Midna 232
Wolf Link 226
Tetra 222
Young Link 208
Impa 155
Toon Ganondorf 152
Classic Link 150
Toon Sheik 130
Tingle 129
Groose 92

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Replace Ganondorf with Pig Ganon.
Makes Ganon not a Falcon clone and gives Zelda their new rep.
Much better for representing LttP2 than Classic Link in my opinion.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
At the moment I think Ghirahim could be in the roster for the next game....

The only thing making me uneasy is that Ghirahim feels a bit like Midna...and we all know what happened to her. People were so certain she would make it (either alone or with wolf link) but she didn't.

I can't think of any other possible newcomers....there's a lot of Zelda possibilities that only made once off appearances like Vaati, Skull Kid and Midna. They probably won't make it if they didn't even manage to be assist trophies in brawl.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think a lot of Zelda newcomers are really dependent on if Toon Link stays around.

Like it'd be awkward to have Toon Zelda, Tetra or even Vaati without Toon Link, imo.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I think a lot of potential Zelda newcomers kinda depend on the child Link's staying as well.

The only ones I feel don't are Impa and Tingle and I'm not very sure about their chances....

(And Tingle will probably end up representing his own series anyway...)

CalumG

Smash Lord
Yeah I think a lot of potential Zelda newcomers kinda depend on the child Link's staying as well.

The only ones I feel don't are Impa and Tingle and I'm not very sure about their chances....

(And Tingle will probably end up representing his own series anyway...)
I dunno, I'm fairly sure Tingle would still fall under the category of Zelda, partially because he's showed up in more Zelda games than games of his own, partially because the Tingle games didn't see worldwide release and partly because even in the areas they got released in, the Tingle titles didn't exactly sell phenomenally. I just don't think Tingle's situation is quite the same as DK's, Yoshi's or Wario's, who have all had long-running sub-franchises of Mario's, have all sold pretty damn well and are all known for their respective franchises the world over.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tingle would've probably been in Brawl,if he was ever seriously considered I'd think.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Tingle would've probably been in Brawl,if he was ever seriously considered I'd think.
What do you mean by that? Are you trying to say that his time has passed and he's missed his chance? Because if that's the case I respectfully disagree - I've heard a similar case being made for numerous characters, but the simple fact is that it's more than understandable that some characters like Tingle or Isaac got the Assist Trophy treatment in Brawl; there were many characters who were arguably more 'relevant' or 'important to Nintendo' during the Brawl days than they are now, but they didn't make it into Brawl because there were bigger priorities at the time. Does that mean they don't stand a shot of being in Smash 4? Hell no! Especially with Tingle's reappearance in Wind Waker HD on the horizon. :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only Zelda character who I feel "missed the boat" is Vaati. Tingle and Toon Zelda/Tetra have a decent chance of being included this time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Providing Toon Link stays, yeah, Toon Zelda is likely. But then again, I'm not happy with Smash becoming a clone fest again. Am still not keen on Tingle making it, and I'm sure most of the fanbase thinks the same.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
wouldnt it be funny if sakurai decides to screw with us by making fi playable
Fi has been in every smash bros and nearly every zelda game in some way...think about it *mind blown*

----
Ever since we saw that link remained TP inspired my expectations for impa and another newcomer have gone down a bit. Sure they can mix and match the designs of each character, but im having my doubts they will. At this point id be fine if link was TP, zelda was SS, and Ganondorf was OOT 3D in design. Anything would be a nice change from what we had before after all this time.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Diddy would've probably been in Melee, f he was ever seriously considered I'd think.

See how bad that argument is?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Honestly, I just hope Zelda/Sheik return with some good improvements (one being mediocre, the other being abysmal is NOT good), and Toon Link returns. I'd be thrilled if Ganondorf was decloned, but I just want him as his athletic self again from Melee. Other than that, everything else is icing on the cake. It's just sad how terrible the Zelda franchise is in Smash. Link was terrible in 64, it was pretty good in Melee, and awful in Brawl. I'm hoping for some buffs to my favorite franchise.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Providing Toon Link stays, yeah, Toon Zelda is likely. But then again, I'm not happy with Smash becoming a clone fest again. Am still not keen on Tingle making it, and I'm sure most of the fanbase thinks the same.
We'll see. Tingle will be put to the test within a few days at Rate Their Chances.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We'll see. Tingle will be put to the test within a few days at Rate Their Chances.
Honestly, a lot of people **** on Tingle, but I'd be perfectly fine if he was the next Zelda rep. I'd be a little disappointed if Toon Zelda and Tetra don't make it (I really want them), but as long as he's viable, I see no harm in it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Honestly, a lot of people **** on Tingle, but I'd be perfectly fine if he was the next Zelda rep.
Actually, we're lucky that Groose discontinued it on GameFAQs. Otherwise, Tingle would probably have suffered horribly in terms of want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom