• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh I think you are looking a bit too much into it. Falco prefers the Arwing yet he is still driving the Landmaster as his Final Smash. If Sakurai wants Tetra to transform into Toon Zelda, she will have the ability to transform into Toon Zelda. Wether she canonically likes it (or can) or not.

And seeing the track record of the child Link's and most of the clones in general being planned to be last minute additions and all. They are more there just to buff the roster when there is little time left for more unique characters.

If Toon Zelda has Tetra alongside her then it really isn't much of a big deal really, especially if Tetra has a unique moveset for herself, you can just ignore Toon Zelda and just play as Tetra herself if clones really bother you that much.

As for Child Link's in general, Sakurai said that they are important to him so I don't see them leaving anytime soon and it's understandable why he thinks that way if you think about it. The vast majority of Zelda games feature a child Link whereas only 4 out of 17 Zelda games featured an adult Link. (Ocarina of Time featured both a child and adult Link) So I can understand why he wants to have one in the Super Smash Bros series.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Eh I think you are looking a bit too much into it. Falco prefers the Arwing yet he is still driving the Landmaster as his Final Smash. If Sakurai wants Tetra to transform into Toon Zelda, she will have the ability to transform into Toon Zelda. Wether she canonically likes it or not.
And you'll recall that a lot of people complained about that in Brawl - Sakurai is usually very attentive when implementing characters in Smash and pays deep attention to making sure their characterization is spot-on, so seeing these lapses in quality like with Falco and Wolf's (Wolf's especially) Final Smash is quite frankly disappointing from a fans point of view. I don't doubt that Sakurai will make Tetra transform into Toon Zelda if he wants to, but what I'm saying is that if he cares for Tetra's character in any sense he should recognize that she shouldn't switch between the two.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes, people did indeed complain about the Landmasters, my point is though that if Sakurai wants to have Tetra transform into Toon Zelda for any reason, then he likely will make her be able to do that. And if he does and it interferes with canon he can always just come up with some kind of excuse in order to justify why she can do that. (Eg Ness and Lucas having "learned" how to perform some of the PSI attacks they canonically couldn't from their friends and all for example)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Falco even acknowledges his distaste for Landmasters during his final smash: "Personally, I prefer the air!" I really don't think fans should have a problem with it, as Falco still uses Landmasters in the games and multiplayer.

I think Tetra prefers being Tetra because that's who she really is. I don't think she has distaste for being princess Zelda, because that's her heritage. So I don't think she would even have a problem switching.

As much as I've taken a liking to Tingle as a character, I think a Child Link makes sense. I've taken a liking to clones and their purpose within their series. As much I think unique attack would be cool, the bombs, boomerang, hookshot, and arrows are all iconic weapons in the Zelda series. I just hope that we get a new Link if it's going to be clone, it's Classic Link. The retro "Decline Era" timeline could use some representation. And I think Zelda fans would really like ALTTP Link to fight TP Link, in the battle for timeline supremacy. We will see who really is in "decline!"

CalumG

Smash Lord
Yes, people did indeed complain about the Landmasters, my point is though that if Sakurai wants to have Tetra transform into Toon Zelda for any reason, then he likely will make her be able to do that. And if he does and it interferes with canon he can always just come up with some kind of silly excuse in order to justify why she can do that. (Eg Ness and Lucas having "learned" how to perform some of the PSI attacks they canonically couldn't from their friends and all for example)
So what you're essentially saying is "Sakurai can do what he wants"? In that case I never disputed that in the first place - my argument was why Tetra shouldn't transform into Toon Zelda, not why Sakurai won't make Tetra transform into Toon Zelda.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Then good, there are no problems then. If Tetra joins the fray and she can transform into Toon Zelda, then that is just the way things have been decided on for this character.

It's up to Sakurai in the end after all. ;)

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
So what you're essentially saying is "Sakurai can do what he wants"? In that case I never disputed that in the first place - my argument was why Tetra shouldn't transform into Toon Zelda, not why Sakurai won't make Tetra transform into Toon Zelda.
Even that argument is not really that strong. It's a battle so she transforms to use Zelda's abilities.
I have seen anything that indicates she really hates being Zelda. In Phantom Hourglass, it seemed more like ribbing the captain when the crew called her Zelda. And she was captaining a ship, so she did not really need to wear a dress. Or she was too busy being stone. I don't really see that much aversion to being Zelda from Tetra, it's just that she doesn't prefer it.
It's like Falco. He prefers the air, but he'll defeat you regardless.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I agree with your post, but I didn't get the analogy here. ^_^;

I think he meant that Falco will still kick your butt, even if he needs to take measurements that he doesn't like (eg going on the Landmaster instead of the Arwing). Likewise with Tetra, if she needs to transform into a Princess to kick your butt, she will do it.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I agree with your post, but I didn't get the analogy here. ^_^;
I was referencing my earlier post and as well as when CalumG compared Tetra and Zelda to those who don't like that Falco uses a Landmaster because it goes against his character. He prefers the Arwing, but that does not make it out of character that he uses the Landmaster. And right before his final smash, Falco says "Personally, I prefer the air!" Which is where I got the line.
Edit: Kikwi-Kiwi said it better faster with less words.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Even that argument is not really that strong. It's a battle so she transforms to use Zelda's abilities.
I have seen anything that indicates she really hates being Zelda. In Phantom Hourglass, it seemed more like ribbing the captain when the crew called her Zelda. And she was captaining a ship, so she did not really need to wear a dress. Or she was too busy being stone. I don't really see that much aversion to being Zelda from Tetra, it's just that she doesn't prefer it.
It's like Falco. He prefers the air, but he'll defeat you regardless.
Except even in Spirit Tracks, it's implied that when she settled down to become the princess/queen of the new land, she did not take on her Zelda persona. All historical references of her refer to her as Tetra, and the stained-glass window portrait (and any other historical documents) of her depicts her as Tetra the pirate, not Princess Zelda.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Except even in Spirit Tracks, it's implied that when she settled down to become the princess/queen of the new land, she did not take on her Zelda persona. All historical references of her refer to her as Tetra, and the stained-glass window portrait (and any other historical documents) of her depicts her as Tetra the pirate, not Princess Zelda.
Because her name is Tetra, she was raised as Tetra, and she considers herself Tetra. Considering herself to be Tetra does not mean she doesn't acknowledge her Zelda lineage or embrace. Most of her actions of a noteworthy nature were as Tetra. So it makes sense she would be honored as Tetra. The fact their is Zelda lineage in which others are named Zelda indicates she probably took the Zelda lineage seriously.

I agree that she prefers to be Tetra, but I have nothing indicating that she would not transform into Zelda or part of the Zelda lineage. For example, after she is revealed to be Zelda, she remains as Zelda even during the fight with Ganondorf. She does not resume it until she becomes captain of the ship again.

And things like a stained-glass portrait generally are made up when you're long since passed. Most people don't have control of how they are presented posthumously.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I agree that she prefers to be Tetra, but I have nothing indicating that she would not transform into Zelda or part of the Zelda lineage. For example, after she is revealed to be Zelda, she remains as Zelda even during the fight with Ganondorf. She does not resume it until she becomes captain of the ship again
Probably because she didn't have time to grab a change of clothes 'til the end of the game. :troll:

But in all seriousness, if we put discussions of Tetra's personality and characterization aside for a second, I'd like to raise the bigger question - why would people want Tetra to be tied to be tied to a hypothetical Toon Zelda in the first place? Tetra is a unique enough character to stand on her own merits without ripping off Zelda's transformation mechanic, and people asking for a Zelda line-up of Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link and Toon Zelda/Tetra are effectively asking for two versions of Link, four versions of Zelda and two Zelda rep clones (three if Ganondorf doesn't get de-cloned). Why is this seen as appealing?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But in all seriousness, if we put discussions of Tetra's personality and characterization aside for a second, I'd like to raise the bigger question - why would people want Tetra to be tied to be tied to a hypothetical Toon Zelda in the first place? Tetra is a unique enough character to stand on her own merits without ripping off Zelda's transformation mechanic, and people asking for a Zelda line-up of Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link and Toon Zelda/Tetra are effectively asking for two versions of Link, four versions of Zelda and two Zelda rep clones (three if Ganondorf doesn't get de-cloned). Why is this seen as appealing?
To be completely honest, I'd much prefer a standalone Tetra. But since Brawl had unused data of Toon Zelda and Toon Shiek (commonly believed to be Tetra), and combined with the fact that Sakurai is seemingly revisiting ideas from Brawl which he couldn't implement then, the general expectation is that she will be paired with Toon Zelda.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah like Falkoopa said, it's not that people prefer to have them both together. (I'm pretty sure most would rather have Tetra on her own) But seeing as how Sakurai is revisiting old ideas from Brawl and characters he has cut from that game. We are probably very likely of getting Toon Zelda in the game with a Toon Sheik (wether that literally means a Wind Waker design of Sheik or a codename for Tetra is unknown) as her transformation. people don't like the idea of a Wind Waker based Sheik so they are pushing for Tetra to be her transformation.

CalumG

Smash Lord
But seeing as how Sakurai is revisiting old ideas from Brawl and characters he has cut from that game
We are probably very likely of getting Toon Zelda in the game with a Toon Sheik (wether that literally means a Wind Waker design of Sheik or a codename for Tetra is unknown) as her transformation.

I feel people make the mistake of assuming that all cut ideas have a good chance of being revisited, just because Sakurai opened the floodgates with Villager. Some ideas, like Villager (or Dixie if you wanted to argue that case - I personally don't like her) were cut because of time restraints, Sakurai finding other fighters more deserving, and a number of other factors. However I don't think I'd be stepping too hard into speculation territory to assume things such as Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik were cut not just because of time restraints or other factors but simply because they weren't great ideas in the first place (and were probably only on the edge of inclusion due to their status as easy-to-implement clones).

If Sakurai has any sense about him, he'll be discerning enough to distinguish between the good ideas that were cut and the bad ideas that were cut.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The fact that Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda managed to have some data on the disc shows that they were not scrapped at the planning stage itself, unlike the Villager. I believe it's likely enough for Sakurai to revisit them. They might be low priorities again, though.

CalumG

Smash Lord
The fact that Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda managed to have some data on the disc shows that they were not scrapped at the planning stage itself, unlike the Villager. I believe it's likely enough for Sakurai to revisit them. They might be low priorities again, though.
True, but I think it's also entirely likely that the reason they were there in the first place was as easy clone inclusions at the end of development - they held merit as something that would be easy and convenient for the dev team to implement. Considering Sakurai's recent statements about what unique elements each character brings to the game, Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda/Tetra just may not hold the same relevance as they did in the Brawl days (a shame; I recognize it as an awful character inclusion but the Doc was my guilty pleasure).

Of course, I remember back in the pre-Brawl days when we took some of Sakurai's statements to mean there wouldn't be any clones in Brawl, and we know how that turned out. :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well looking back, A lot of cut characters from previous Smash Bros games (Bowser, Pit, Mewtwo, King Dedede, Lucas, Peach, Villager etc etc) were revisited in later installments in the Smash Bros series so it really isn't that strange to believe that they could be revisited again.

Also, you do realize that development for these characters wasn't stopped because they were bad ideas (Else they wouldn't even have data like Villager where Sakurai openly expressed that he wasn't a very good idea until he changed his mind later on for Smash Bros 4), they were halted because of Sonic. He was included late during development and slowed down the development for these characters where only Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf managed to make it in the end.

They were last priority characters, though, so they may end up being that again.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
From my perspective, having Toon Zelda be a transformation for Tetra allows her to represent other incarnations of Toon Zelda, just as Toon Link can represent several incarnations of Link beyond Wind Waker. Meanwhile, having Tetra as a transformation pays tribute to the most famous version of the character and provides a clear delineation from normal Zelda and her Sheik alter-ego. It's kinda like how Zelda has her Twilight Princess look yet she still transforms into Sheik, who very clearly references the infamous Ocarina of Time (albeit with an updated look).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
True, but I think it's also entirely likely that the reason they were there in the first place was as easy clone inclusions at the end of development - they held merit as something that would be easy and convenient for the dev team to implement. Considering Sakurai's recent statements about what unique elements each character brings to the game, Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda/Tetra just may not hold the same relevance as they did in the Brawl days (a shame; I recognize it as an awful character inclusion but the Doc was my guilty pleasure).
It's possible, but I don't think a roster as large as Brawl would need to be buffed honestly.

Not sure what you mean by relevance here, Toon Zelda & Tetra are relevant again due to Wind Waker HD.

And I'm a Doc fan too, actually. :p

CalumG

Smash Lord
Well looking back, A lot of cut characters from previous Smash Bros games (Bowser, Pit, Mewtwo, King Dedede, Lucas, Peach, Villager etc etc) were revisited in later installments in the Smash Bros series so it really isn't that strange to believe that they could be revisited again.
Difference is, all the above characters you've mentioned are individual characters of their own right rather than different incarnations of a character already in Smash. Mewtwo, Roy and Dixie all seem like they could be believably revisited, but Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda/Sheik obviously seemed like easy clone additions, and let's not even get into the ongoing conundrum that is Pra_Mai (I still don't buy the theory that Pra_Mai was Plusle/Minun).

Also, you do realize that development for these characters wasn't stopped because they were bad ideas (Else they wouldn't even have data like Villager where Sakurai openly expressed that he wasn't a very good idea until he changed his mind later on for Smash Bros 4), they were halted because of Sonic. He was included late during development and slowed down the development for these characters where only Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf managed to make it in the end.
...That's the popular fan-theory, yes. Even so, there's no solid evidence that Sonic directly influenced them being cut from the roster, given how few resources of theirs can be found in the data (developers are normally notoriously lazy for leaving cut content in games, so if there was more work done on each character we'd have likely found it on the disc). And in fact, if we take the Sonic thing to heart and assume it to be true, I think that speaks volumes about the characters who had data found on-disc - it shows that Sakurai was quick to prioritise one fan-favourite over characters that were already in development. If that doesn't show that they were throwaway characters included primarily to bulk out the roster, then I don't know what does.

It's possible, but I don't think a roster as large as Brawl would need to be buffed honestly.
Nor do I, but remember the outrage at only 35 characters in Brawl? Some people were genuinely expecting above 40-48 characters. The fans always want more, so I couldn't blame Sakurai for focusing on quantity over quality near the end of the development cycle.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Difference is, all the above characters you've mentioned are individual characters of their own right rather than different incarnations of a character already in Smash. Mewtwo, Roy and Dixie all seem like they could be believably revisited, but Dr. Mario and Toon Zelda/Sheik obviously seemed like easy clone additions, and let's not even get into the ongoing conundrum that is Pra_Mai (I still don't buy the theory that Pra_Mai was Plusle/Minun).

...That's the popular fan-theory, yes. Even so, there's no solid evidence that Sonic directly influenced them being cut from the roster, given how few resources of theirs can be found in the data (developers are normally notoriously lazy for leaving cut content in games, so if there was more work done on each character we'd have likely found it on the disc). And in fact, if we take the Sonic thing to heart and assume it to be true, I think that speaks volumes about the characters who had data found on-disc - it shows that Sakurai was quick to prioritise one fan-favourite over characters that were already in development. If that doesn't show that they were throwaway characters included primarily to bulk out the roster, then I don't know what does.

Nor do I, but remember the outrage at only 35 characters in Brawl? Some people were genuinely expecting above 40-48 characters. The fans always want more, so I couldn't blame Sakurai for focusing on quantity over quality near the end of the development cycle.

I remember that outrage. People were in utter shock that their favorite characters didn't make it in, but in retrospect Brawl actually had a solid roster. Sakurai didn't really miss out on too many major characters. I think we were all spoiled by the Dojo back then and expected to see way more characters than had been revealed to us at the time.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wether said character is a clone or not doesn't really harm their chances though. In fact, that's why they were last priority characters in the first place. Mewtwo obviously isn't a clone though (except of Mew).

That's why they are last priority characters for a reason. They are there to buff the roster once they are pretty much done with the more unique characters that need more time. I highly doubt Sonic's late inclusion is a mere fan theory. I believe Sakurai himself admitted that Sonic was added around 2007 while everyone else (including the forbidden seven) were planned to be in the game somewhere around 2006. (I can't remember the exact date the roster was finalized but Sonic was definitely a late addition slowing things down which even caused the delay for Brawl)

But yes, they were indeed last minute characters, I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. That's why if Toon Zelda were to be planned again, she will likely be a last minute addition again. Just like the Child Link's have been in Melee and Brawl.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I remember that outrage. People were in utter shock that their favorite characters didn't make it in, but in retrospect Brawl actually had a solid roster. Sakurai didn't really miss out on too many major characters. I think we were all spoiled by the Dojo back then and expected to see way more characters than had been revealed to us at the time.
I'm expecting the same disappointment and later satisfaction to occur this time around. Should be an entertaining ride.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm a Tingle/ Classic (Young) Link guy, so I don't really have a need to see Toon Zelda/ Tetra. But I am quite a fan of the characters representing game mechanics, so the Tetra and Zelda transformation feels right to me. I would base it off Wind Waker, so that's why I am in favor of Toon Zelda/ Tetra combination. I like the look of Toon Zelda much more than TP Zelda.

I am also someone who has no problem with characters who have similar movesets (i.e. clones) as long as it makes sense within a series.

But Toon Zelda is far from a lock. Actually, I would say much less likely than it was during Brawl. I don't really factor in the game data of 7 characters removed from Brawl in my predictions, since the key word with these characters is removed. We don't know how far they made it in terms of planning and programming, and I have yet to see anything that confirms otherwise. We also don't know what else they cut but left of the disc. The data was meant to be inaccessible for the reason. It's best not to take a small amount of information and extrapolate how Brawl's game development went.

I think there is a certain amount of disappointment due to the character lists and hype fans have constructed. Honestly, Sakurai has indicated that there will be cuts and that he is not focused on expanding the roster.So it's not like it won't be unexpected this time. But things can change in development and that's the hope most of fans have.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah we won't know what the eventual outcome will be. None of these forbidden seven characters are a guarantee (Although I hope Mewtwo makes it in at least)

But if Sakurai felt like revisiting them like he did for Villager, they will likely be put all the way at the back of the cue again. Especially those with similar movesets to others like they usually have been..

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
4 Zeldas, 3 Marios (Normal, paper, and Doc) and 4 Links (Normal, Classic, Young, and Toon).

How would you feel? :p
Sick, seeing so many doubles would lead me to take some medication :sick::laugh:

Even if they decide to go back and look at what they didnt make possible before, i really hope sakurai sees the potential in other zelda newcomers rather than more of already represented characters. Hell id even take tingle over tetra and toon zelda, and thats really hard for me to say since i dont care for him. I want to see ghirahim, impa, or someone else since they all have more to bring than more zelda's and link's do.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well as much as I would like to see Tingle (Not so much for Impa), I'm not quite sure about him... He could make it and represent his own series though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Remember how Sakurai said before the Villager wouldn't work as a character cause of lack of fighting potential? He might be revisiting his ideas, but he seems to make different sort of decisions than before.

I agree with Callum that he probably didn't think Dr.Mario and Toon Zelda / 'Toon Sheik' where too great ideas so he didn't include them. And it's safe to say Mewtwo would easily take priority if they'd choose any of the scrapped Brawl characters. Roy and Dixie would probably be seconds now, cause at least they bring something unique and are hugely popular.

Sakurai already stated he might not have enough time to put in all veteran characters from Brawl in, but will add as many as possible. I hope this means he'll keep characters as Ike, Falco, Lucas and Wolf in, and rather drop the likes of Toon Link, Sonic, Snake, Sheik and possibly Ice Climbers or ROB (sorry, if I had to chose from original characters I'd chose them. Mewtwo got cut before, it could happen).

Speaking of a Child Link, sure, Sakurai said he felt it was important. But that was in Melee. Child Link isn't that prominent anymore. Wish they could keep Toon Link in cause of Wind Waker HD, and we'd get a mostly WW-inspired Ganondorf, but with the Spirit Tracks stage, am not really seeing it happen. I am guessing Toon Link is low priority again, much like in Brawl. And he could be cut this time, and we'd have no Child Link. After all, Young Link intentionally got cut from Melee, and Toon Link was still a low priority character in Brawl (and the most clonish character in the game perhaps).

Also, Impa could easily serve as a renewed more relevant version of whatever 'Toon Sheik' was. It won't be Tetra if Toon Link is cut, so Impa is easily the best stand-off character to create a workable moveset on. Am not seeing Tingle happen yet. And Ghirahim could also be considered, but then I'd STILL expect Impa being there. But out of time contraints she could literally be a Sheik replacement to keep a more SS-styled theme in characters (seeing Link is mostly unspecific / OoT, TP and SS - inspired hybrid).

What I do see is the two characters (Impa and Ghirahim) could both easily draw from Sheik's moveset for inspiration (check Eruption on Ike, Aura Sphere on Lucario, and Lucas, Charizard and Wolf borrowing some moves from Mewtwo's moveset).

Personally, am hoping for at least one newcomer for the Zelda series. But it's easily noteable that the whole Zelda cast in Brawl was a complete mess. Not only we have a Hyrule / Triforce Tier with absolute garbish Link, Zelda and Ganondorf (Sheik also being less than average), Toon Link and Ganondorf where still semi clones, and bad ones at that (both had easy potential being at least Wolf-unique). We got no real newcomer either for the series, and Sheik's inclusion / return still makes little sence. They also could've given Zelda her rapier and Triforce light attack ( used under Ganon's poccesion) for example, but they didn't.

Am thinking we'll see some good changes in the Zelda roster. It's clear they are moving on a path away from Ocarina of Time's direction and create new and more innovative things as Skyward Sword, and of coarse classics as ALTTP 2.

Can't see Zelda Wii U getting any content really. So if anything, I am still expecting Skyward Sword newcomers for Zelda.

Am still really hyped to see Zelda Wii zu though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well Child Link's have usually been last minute additions, I'm going to assume it won't be different this time either. If Toon Link does get cut, I can't help but feel he will get replaced by another child Link regardless. Most notable Classic link or Young Link.

And seeing how they stuck with the Twilight Princess design for Link, I'm not really seeing any Skyward Sword newcomers making it in, then again. I guess you never know... :/

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
And seeing how they stuck with the Twilight Princess design for Link, I'm not really seeing any Skyward Sword newcomers making it in, then again. I guess you never know... :/
I wouldnt rule that out, seeing as how his design is TP, but his colors look closer to SS link because of the palette colors of this game it wouldnt be too hard to make SS characters fit with him. SS zelda could still work right next to him since he isnt that far off from SS link in his design either. But im not to optimistic when it comes to them mixing designs within the same series, i get the feeling sakurai is gonna just give us all TP designed triforce characters with little to no change, even keeping ganondorf as he is despite the fact many want him to be different. It just seems like something he would do unfortunately

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldnt rule that out, seeing as how his design is TP, but his colors look closer to SS link because of the palette colors of this game it wouldnt be too hard to make SS characters fit with him. SS zelda could still work right next to him since he isnt that far off from SS link in his design either. But im not to optimistic when it comes to them mixing designs within the same series, i get the feeling sakurai is gonna just give us all TP designed triforce characters with little to no change, even keeping ganondorf as he is despite the fact many want him to be different. It just seems like something he would do unfortunately

Believe me HHBB as much as I would adore seeing SS Zelda in smash. I have the feeling they are going to stick with the Twilight Princess designs. And I can't help but feel that the only reason Link looks brighter is because pretty much everyone else has been brightened up too. And not some kind of lazy way to of turning him into SS Link by just changing his textures.

Oh well, I did say that you may never know. Only time will tell...

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think the principle behind a younger Link still stands, even if he hasn't said it recently. And I don't think the Spirit Tracks Link necessarily deconfirms Toon Link, as that's his grandson. Toon Link was always from Wind Waker. I'm still predicting Classic Link. There's a real draw in the character and he could also be considered retro, which is something Sakurai said he wants to include.

I don't mind the second Link being a clone as long as there is a different strategy associated with the character. Being a clone makes sense because all four special moves are iconic to the series. I would not want to replace any of them.

4 Zeldas, 3 Marios (Normal, paper, and Doc) and 4 Links (Normal, Classic, Young, and Toon).

How would you feel? :p
Not enough Links. We could do better. SS Link. AoL Link. MC Link. FSA Link (that's four more). We should just rename Smash Bros into Smash Links.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Honestly, aside from the change in shaders and the left-handedness, the difference in appearance between OoT Adult Link, TP Link and SS Link is negligible at best. I'd say it's still far too soon to make any kind of statements on what Link's design means for the rest of the Zelda cast, given that his appearance is effectively "Generic Adult Link".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the principle behind a younger Link still stands, even if he hasn't said it recently. And I don't think the Spirit Tracks Link necessarily deconfirms Toon Link, as that's his grandson. Toon Link was always from Wind Waker. I'm still predicting Classic Link. There's a real draw in the character and he could also be considered retro, which is something Sakurai said he wants to include.

I don't mind the second Link being a clone as long as there is a different strategy associated with the character. Being a clone makes sense because all four special moves are iconic to the series. I would not want to replace any of them.
Yeah it would either be Classic Link, Young Link or Toon Link. Though it is true that Sakurai said that he wanted to add more Retro characters if I recall correctly. I guess Classic Link is pretty likely after all. (I'm still rooting for Lip though as one of our retro characters)

Oh well, I'd be happy with either Classic Link or Toon Link since I like them both.

Not enough Links. We could do better. SS Link. AoL Link. MC Link. FSA Link (that's four more). We should just rename Smash Bros into Smash Links.
Tsk. You might as well take it a step further. Have a roster full of Mario's and the different outfits he has worn over the years. Then we will call it: Super Mario Bros!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom