• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just have a Twilight Princess esque Zelda with an older looking Skyward Sword face, clothes closer to the Skyloft outfit, and Impa instead of Sheik.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
If they want to separate Zelda and Sheik into different characters, then they can just separate them. There is no need for them to replace Sheik with Impa, as Link's character model proves they aren't necessarily sticking to just having Skyward Sword characters.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If we still get Sheik over Impa, it'll be entirely for the sake of not changing things. Which would be stupid.
Well, not necessarily. It would be for the sake of keeping a popular veteran character who also plays an integral role in the moveset of another popular veteran character who is guaranteed to return.

I couldn't care less if we lost Sheik for Impa, but there are very legitimate reasons for Sheik remaining.

So people actually liked the Skyward Sword face? Maybe it's just me, then, but to me her nose makes her look completely absurd.

Also, it would make more sense to have Impa as a separate character rather than Zelda's transformation partner, even if Sheik is cut to make room for Impa.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Just as little proof there is is that this is definitely TP Link, there's just as little proof that this is definitely NOT SS Link.
As much as I agree with you in arguments, this is ********. Why do you continue your crusade against TP Link in an attempt to persuade the public that SSB4 borrows more from SS Link? It is painstakingly obvious which Legend of Zelda incarnation SSB4 Link is inspired most by. Look, I would have liked to see a more hybridized look, actually borrowing traits from across the series, but SSB4 Link is 90% TP. The other 10% is Smash Bros. inspired, nothing else. See, this is what happened:

Brawl borrowed TP Link's likeness almost entirely, copying his model and textures and only slightly modifying them (shortening Master Sword, changing face and hair color; very small alterations). There was no arguing that if Brawl Link were in the Legend of Zelda series, he would be found in TP, no other game. Now let's jump back to Melee. Ocarina of Time was released for the N64 and never got a graphical upgrade on the gamecube (the closest being the Spaceworld Demo). As such, Melee's LoZ characters were based on their OoT designs, but updated to the GCN's capabilities. Would you argue then that Melee's Link was not OoT Link, but instead Spaceworld Link because that was technically the newest incarnation between OoT/MM and Melee? He didn't have the Hero's Shield, so no—it was simply a 128 bit Link.

Now let's jump forward to Smash 4. Just as Melee updated Smash64's OoT-inspired Link, so too has SSB4 updated Brawl's TP-inspired Link. That's all there is to it.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the evidence supporting his TP inspiration far outweighs his SS incarnation. This does not diminish the potential for Impa to make it in the game. This is simply the design they chose for Link.

Groose

Smash Champion
My name on this website is Groose. I've even cosplayed Groose. Do I support Groose for Smash 4? No. Why not? A dearth of moveset potential and a lack of iconic status. Now, if Nintendo were to make a Legend of Groose... things may be different.

Additionally, I main Toon Link in Brawl and have Young Link as a secondary in Melee. Do I want to see either of them again in Smash 4? No. I want a Link who is somewhat agile. Fortunately, it seems to me that the Link we saw in the trailers moves much more smoothly than Brawl Link.

Then, who do I support for a fourth Zelda spot? Tingle. Why? He's iconic, he fits well among the bizarre cast of Smash, and he has great moveset potential (see Ruppeeland if you don't believe me). I know he has a very vocal hatebase, but I am also aware of his rather silent fanbase. At the very least, Tingle would make a very good troll character to replace the likes of Pichu.

I would also like to see another Zelda character in Smash 4: Ghirahim. Ghirahim has character and moveset potential to the extreme, and he'd also be a great fit among the other Smash characters. The only reason Tingle is on my signature instead of Ghirahim is that I see them in direct competition for a fourth Zelda slot, and I think Tingle is a bit more iconic and diverse.

I just don't see the other Zelda characters working. Midna, unlikely because of her omission in Brawl, has issues; her moveset potential is kind of weak and she'd be hard to do justice. Vaati... is a floating eyeball. Mask Link would play well, but would just require far more attention than he deserves. Skull Kid isn't really a fighter; he just isn't built for Smash. Tetra isn't really iconic and lacks the wow-factor. Zant is cool and has a decent amount of moveset potential, but Ganondorf can do pretty much everything Zant can and more; additionally, Zant lacks iconic status. Impa is plausible, but only could serve as a Sheik replacement.

Tl;dr: Make Link more agile, keep Zelda mostly as-is, de-clone Ganondorf, axe the child Link, and add either Tingle or Ghirahim.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I just don't see the other Zelda characters working. Midna, unlikely because of her omission in Brawl, has issues; her moveset potential is kind of weak and she'd be hard to do justice. Vaati... is a floating eyeball. Mask Link would play well, but would just require far more attention than he deserves. Skull Kid isn't really a fighter; he just isn't built for Smash. Tetra isn't really iconic and lacks the wow-factor. Zant is cool and has a decent amount of moveset potential, but Ganondorf can do pretty much everything Zant can and more; additionally, Zant lacks iconic status. Impa is plausible, but only could serve as a Sheik replacement.
You do know Vaati has shown capibilities in his human form and most of his attacks can easily be converted into his human form, right?

Well, not necessarily. It would be for the sake of keeping a popular veteran character who also plays an integral role in the moveset of another popular veteran character who is guaranteed to return.

I couldn't care less if we lost Sheik for Impa, but there are very legitimate reasons for Sheik remaining.

So people actually liked the Skyward Sword face? Maybe it's just me, then, but to me her nose makes her look completely absurd.

Also, it would make more sense to have Impa as a separate character rather than Zelda's transformation partner, even if Sheik is cut to make room for Impa.
All of the other Zeldas have looked nice too, but there is just something about Skyward Sword's Zelda face that is nice to look at.

She appears to be more naturally beautiful, rather that the dressed up princess look.

Groose

Smash Champion
You do know Vaati has shown capibilities in his human form and most of his attacks can easily be converted into his human form, right?
Oh, trust me, if it comes to Zelda, I know it. Vaati shows incredible talent in his Hylian form. He even manages to win the sword-fighting tournament (inb4Vaatiisanotherdreadedsworduser). However, Vaati's most iconic form is... The floating eyeball... and it's the incarnation he'd probably appear in if he made the cut. And, to be honest, he'd have pretty decent moveset potential and would be an incredibly unique fighter in the eyeball form. However... I see it as a development nightmare.

How about this Zelda roster?

-Link
-Zelda/Sheik
-Ghirahim
-Impa
-Ganondorf

All having a Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword mixed look (like Link)

Groose

Smash Champion
I
How about this Zelda roster?

-Link
-Zelda/Sheik
-Ghirahim
-Impa
-Ganondorf

All having a Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword mixed look (like Link)
I'd be extremely satisfied by this as long as GANONDORF IS DECLONED OR BUFFED. Sorry for shouting... But Brawldorf is a bit of a touchy subject for me.

However: I don't think we need both Impa and Sheik. One or the other.

I

I'd be extremely satisfied by this as long as GANONDORF IS DECLONED OR BUFFED. Sorry for shouting... But Brawldorf is a bit of a touchy subject for me.

However: I don't think we need both Impa and Sheik. One or the other.
Impa easily, she has been in more of the series.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't want any more than one villain per series, since all other villains pale in comparison to Ganondorf. I prefer the Zelda series to be represented as follows, in order to match the Mario and Pokemon archetype:
Hero, Sidekick, Opposite Gender Hero, and Villain
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser
Pokemon: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, Lucario
Having two Links doesn't allow you to do this, because that would make one of the Links a sidekick, so:
Zelda: Link, Tingle, Zelda, Ganondorf.
Midna would work in this role too. She has plenty of potential attacks.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I don't want any more than one villain per series, since all other villains pale in comparison to Ganondorf. I prefer the Zelda series to be represented as follows, in order to match the Mario and Pokemon archetype:
Hero, Sidekick, Opposite Gender Hero, and Villain
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser
Pokemon: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, Lucario
Having two Links doesn't allow you to do this, because that would make one of the Links a sidekick, so:
Zelda: Link, Tingle, Zelda, Ganondorf.
Midna would work in this role too. She has plenty of potential attacks.
Might have been alot simpler to just say "Heroine" rather than "Opposite gender Hero" :p

But no, I think formulating entrants like this takes away the uniqueness of each game series.
And in some of these cases causes the series to be misrepresented.

Also, Tingle fail. At least Impa would have made a little bit of sense as a sidekick of sorts.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Might have been alot simpler to just say "Heroine" rather than "Opposite gender Hero" :p

But no, I think formulating entrants like this takes away the uniqueness of each game series.
And in some of these cases causes the series to be misrepresented.

Also, Tingle fail. At least Impa would have made a little bit of sense as a sidekick of sorts.
I said opposite gender hero because there could be female heroes like Samus.

I think it works for the big series like Mario and Zelda. I don't want it for every series.

Spire

III
BRoomer
He's entitled to say Tingle, but Tingle really isn't much of a sidekick. I don't think he could care less about Link saving the world from evil. If Link and Zelda are hero and heroine of Legend of Zelda, and Ganon is the villain, then Impa is the most recurring supporting character.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Impa and Tingle are definitely the next two most prominent characters in the franchise, so they're the two I'm rooting for. Some other characters are arguably more interesting, but none of them have the same importance. Vaati's definately next, though.

I see. Well, I think still prefer Melee Zelda's face over Oracle Zelda's face though.
I think both Smash Bros. Zeldas' chins/jaws are a little too pointy/narrow, but that's the joy of opinions and preferences.

That's true, but it's similar to the reason why Ganondorf wasn't fully decloned, which I feel holds back the game's potential.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Kind of on another subject, but has anyone else grown as tired of the minority hate towards SS as much as I have? Ive seen so many people just crap on the game quite a bit, even one guy going so far as to say that its like superman 64, or that the controls being bad is a fact. The game was good, not great, but the amount of hyperbole some zelda fans are spewing is ridiculous.

I dont know man, it just gets old, why dwell and hate on something for so long? Why not look towards the future rather than to make sure everyone knows you hate the present?

Autumn ♫

Kind of on another subject, but has anyone else grown as tired of the minority hate towards SS as much as I have? Ive seen so many people just crap on the game quite a bit, even one guy going so far as to say that its like superman 64, or that the controls being bad is a fact. The game was good, not great, but the amount of hyperbole some zelda fans are spewing is ridiculous.

I dont know man, it just gets old, why dwell and hate on something for so long? Why not look towards the future rather than to make sure everyone knows you hate the present?
I never really see it, so I can't really get all hateful to the people who do. The most I see people complaining about is Fi, which is understandable.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

If it makes you feel better, I enjoyed Skyward Sword much more than Twilight Princess. :)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I never really see it, so I can't really get all hateful to the people who do. The most I see people complaining about is Fi, which is understandable.
If it makes you feel better, I enjoyed Skyward Sword much more than Twilight Princess. :)
It might be just be the slugs at gamefaqs are more vocally hateful, but i always see at least a few people doing it. I mean i know everyone doesnt love every zelda, but to call it the worst one is just bonkers in my eyes. It has many qualities that bring the series forward.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It might be just be the slugs at gamefaqs are more vocally hateful, but i always see at least a few people doing it. I mean i know everyone doesnt love every zelda, but to call it the worst one is just bonkers in my eyes. It has many qualities that bring the series forward.

Nah I totally understand what you mean. I've seen a lot of hate for Skyward Sword too and to be honest. I enjoyed Skyward Sword much more than Twilight Princess, like I said.

I liked the characters more and I thoroughly enjoyed the Motion plus combat in the game. And I honestly had no problems with Fi (Then again, that may be because I always make sure that my batteries are fully charged and not get my ass kicked so easily where my hearts get low and all, which I heard where the most notable complaints about her.)

So I found it a little let down that they didn't go for the Skyward Sword design's for Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS so all I'm hoping for in terms of the Zelda cast is either a SS alternate costume for Link and Zelda (especially Zelda since I prefer her lovable SS design over her TP design) or the return of Toon Link.

Autumn ♫

To be completely honest, Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda at the moment. I am however playing Minish Cap and Majora's Mask now, so that may change in the future.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
So did I. I'm actually on my second play through now (Hero Mode). I tried to go through Twilight Princess again but lost all interest by the second temple. That's not to say Twilight Princess didn't have some great moments, and I bet if I had the Gamecube version I'd have made it all the way through.

But Fi is just the worst thing ever.

Skyward Sword is pretty much my favorite Zelda, or at least one of them.

And Skyward Sword Zelda is easily my favorite Zelda.

It saddens me they didn't go more for those designs in SSB4. Especially since they have always have a specific game repped for Zelda prior to this one, the recent one too, and Sakurai broke that this time with a hybrid.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Nah I totally understand what you mean. I've seen a lot of hate for Skyward Sword too and to be honest. I enjoyed Skyward Sword much more than Twilight Princess, like I said.

I liked the characters more and I thoroughly enjoyed the Motion plus combat in the game. And I honestly had no problems with Fi (Then again, that may be because I always make sure that my batteries are fully charged and not get my *** kicked so easily where my hearts get low and all, which I heard where the most notable complaints about her.)

So I found it a little let down that they didn't go for the Skyward Sword design's for Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS so all I'm hoping for in terms of the Zelda cast is either a SS alternate costume for Link and Zelda (especially Zelda since I prefer her lovable SS design over her TP design) or the return of Toon Link.
Yeah i enjoyed SS more than TP too, but i loved both games a great deal. SS brought some much needed character to zelda herself, and i really am hoping sakurai takes notice and gives us SS zelda rather than TP zelda again, but with link i have my doubts. Everything worked fine for me with the controls, and really the only thing i didnt care for in the game was the padding, but that in no way hindered my enjoyment of the whole experience.

To be completely honest, Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda at the moment. I am however playing Minish Cap and Majora's Mask now, so that may change in the future.
Minish cap is one of my favorites, i hope you enjoy it.

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed SS as much as i did, i guess the vocal haters just tend to stand out much more elsewhere. Ill be saddened if sakurai just goes full on TP with all the zelda designs, it would be a huge waste of potential for the entire zelda cast just to copy and paste them from brawl without even a visual change.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I feel like the very young, kid-looking SS Zelda might look somewhat out of place next to the more adult Link we got in SSB4. They could probably make it work, though. TP Zelda also has a bit of a problem in that she doesn't go super well with SSB4's much more vivid and colorful style. OoT Zelda fits the SSB4 style quite nicely.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I feel like the very young, kid-looking SS Zelda might look somewhat out of place next to the more adult Link we got in SSB4. They could probably make it work, though. TP Zelda also has a bit of a problem in that she doesn't go super well with SSB4's much more vivid and colorful style. OoT Zelda fits the SSB4 style quite nicely.
So basically what you're saying is it would make Link look like a pedophile?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Imo the only choices that can happen at this point (unless sakurai starts to represent individual zelda games) would be impa, different link, or tingle. If he decides to start reping each game of the series then skull kid, vaati, ghirahim, demise and the likes of midna have a chance.

My current roster choices would be Link, Zelda/Shiek, Impa, Ghirahim, and Ganondorf

Main hero, main female, major side, recent villain, and long-lasting villain

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I like Skyward Sword way more than Twighlight Princess. The colors in TP were way too dark. The dark colors made the world less open to exploring, since less grabbed out at me.

I'm glad that with this amalgamation Link they are using much bright colors. I'm really all for OOT Zelda to make her return. TP Zelda never smiles.

Impas never stood out at me as a character. Her SS incarnation is probably her best, but from what we have been given in the game itself, I can't really think of a moveset that would warrant her conclusion. She could take Sheik's but I like the transforming mechanic with Zelda. I don't like making up moveset that aren't mostly present in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom