• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since they just take the characters designs and give them more detail, SS Link will probably look like TP Link anyway. They have the same design

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The LATEST iconic, and it only relates to ones he is able to get in time when he is working on the roster. Didn't Phantom Hourglass come out in 2007? How would much of it get in over the Gamecube and GBA games (where Brawl was based) like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and the Four Swords games?
I thought that you said they ALWAYS went for the most recent. My bad.

PH did come out in 2007. Just like Radiant Dawn. Radiant Dawn got trophies, stickers and even a music track, so they could have used content from PH.

I thought that you said they ALWAYS went for the most recent. My bad.

PH did come out in 2007. Just like Radiant Dawn. Radiant Dawn got trophies, stickers and even a music track.
But it didn't get a character, and Ike doesn't count because he was his Path of Radiance self (Gamecube).

They tend to go with recent characters most of the time (previous gen and some current), besides the very few popular only choices and any retro choices. At least that is what I see in the last three games.

And yet people believe the likes of Micaiah and Sothe had very high chances back then? More so than now? Micaiah's popularity could have got her in back then but I assume time couldn't. Time is a little more on her side now, not as high as Chrom but right there in that list.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But it didn't get a character, and Ike doesn't count because he was he Path of Radiance self (Gamecube).

And yet people believe the likes of Micaiah and Sothe had very high chances back then? More so than now? Micaiah's popularity could have got her in back then but I assume time couldn't. Time is a little more on her side now, not as high as Chrom but right there in that list.
Never said character. I said content.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
It's the exact same design with less detail and different colors
Its similar, but no its not the same design. Tp's is more ornate, and there are changes in a number of places, but youll be able to see the differences here

So even then it wouldnt be a huge leap, so i dont see why it would be a problem

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A lot of those differences are because Link is mirrored in some games.

Link is canonically Left handed, but in games with motion controls they make him right handed because the majority of people are right handed

Notice his entire body is mirrored in the SS design. He was also mirrored in the wii version of TP

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think he's canonically right handed. He's just mirrored to fit the motion controls

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I don't think he's canonically right handed. He's just mirrored to fit the motion controls
Theres nothing to mirror, the artwork even shows that. The figma link figure released and every image of him is right handed, there would be no purpose to have him left handed outside of everything else.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, Skyward Sword Link is even dumber in my opinion now.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Once again I disagree that Ganondorf was always archetype bad guy. He isn't anything like Bowser who is simple a minor tyrant. Ganon has a true wickness, cunningness, and malicious nature about him.

Once again this is likely a debate between someone who played the earlier games and a modern generation that is use to the most recent game. You are right, not much was fleshed out about Ganon in TP but go back and read the manual for ALttP and play that game or play WW and OOT and you find a lot of character development and unique characteristics from Ganon.

The only thing Ghirahim has that stands out about him is his flamboyant wicked nature (which ironically fits well with an evil character as it seems very Satanic in a Christian sense).

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Its similar, but no its not the same design. Tp's is more ornate, and there are changes in a number of places, but youll be able to see the differences here
So even then it wouldnt be a huge leap, so i dont see why it would be a problem
Wow i never realized how similar they are.....Link could just have costumes that make him look different according to each game ( SS, TP, OoT)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Theres nothing to mirror, the artwork even shows that. The figma link figure released and every image of him is right handed, there would be no purpose to have him left handed outside of everything else.
The figma figure is made in a way that allows you to make him right or left handed. Your argument is invalid.

Your picture didn't help to prove your claim of SS Link being different from TP Link. As a sane mind can see, SS Link is basically a mirrored cel-shaded TP Link.

Besides, Link is much more known to be left handed. Why would they drop this defining characteristic for SSB4, which always featured a left-handed Link? They could mirror the model and implement it for SSB4.

Link is only right handed in the Wii games because most people are right handed, otherwise, he'd be left-handed, as always.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Your picture didn't help to prove your claim of SS Link being different from TP Link. As a sane mind can see, SS Link is basically a mirrored cel-shaded TP Link.
Yeah, but what might be the reason for the artwork to show him right-handed?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Because Link is right-handed in the game... >_>

But, like I said, it is only like that due to the gameplay of Skyward Sword. I'm sure if Skyward Sword was made for a console without motion sensor controls, Link would be left-handed. One game isn't reason enough to have Link in Smash (which is supposed to be a representation of the Link character in general) to be suddenly right-handed, when one of his iconic characteristics (barring the Wii games, obviously) is to be left-handed.

Like I said, SS Link's model is basically a mirrored cel-shaded TP Link and they could simply mirror SS Link for the SSB4.

Heck, Link being left-handed is so defining of his character that even the figma figure of SS Link allows you to put his sword on his left hand and sheild on the right hand. You can even choose the position of the scabbard to reflect the change. I don't have the figma, but a look on YouTube doesn't take more than a minute.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Because Link is right-handed in the game... >_>

But, like I said, it is only like that due to the gameplay of Skyward Sword. I'm sure if Skyward Sword was made for a console without motion sensor controls, Link would be left-handed. One game isn't reason enough to have Link in Smash (which is supposed to be a representation of the Link character in general) to be suddenly right-handed, when one of his iconic characteristics (barring the Wii games, obviously) is to be left-handed.

Like I said, SS Link's model is basically a mirrored cel-shaded TP Link and they could simply mirror SS Link for the SSB4.

Heck, Link being left-handed is so defining of his character that even the figma figure of SS Link allows you to put his sword on his left hand and sheild on the right hand. You can even choose the position of the scabbard to reflect the change. I don't have the figma, but a look on YouTube doesn't take more than a minute.
Regardless if its like that for the gameplay or not, he is right handed. There is no two ways about it, SS link in every image, artwork and promotion is right handed. Nintendo always made special note in the past not to mirror the artwork and it follows true with skyward sword. Just because past links have been left handed doesnt mean that cant ever change, there is no left handed ss link existing in a vaccum just because some feel the need he needs to be that way. It doesnt define his character, he has many other traits that are more important. SS link has a number of cosmetic differences between TP link, the ornate designs on his shoes, the wrist guard, the stitching on his shoulders, even his sheild is different in a number of small ways. And lol at the fact that you can make his figure hold it left handed, every figure can do that, is pit now left handed because he can hold his bow in the opposite hand? No, but all the promotional images have that figure with him right handed, every single one.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Regardless if its like that for the gameplay or not, he is right handed. There is no two ways about it, SS link in every image, artwork and promotion is right handed. Nintendo always made special note in the past not to mirror the artwork and it follows true with skyward sword. Just because past links have been left handed doesnt mean that cant ever change, there is no left handed ss link existing in a vaccum just because some feel the need he needs to be that way. It doesnt define his character, he has many other traits that are more important. SS link has a number of cosmetic differences between TP link, the ornate designs on his shoes, the wrist guard, the stitching on his shoulders, even his sheild is different in a number of small ways. And lol at the fact that you can make his figure hold it left handed, every figure can do that, is pit now left handed because he can hold his bow in the opposite hand? No, but all the promotional images have that figure with him right handed, every single one.
Your Pit argument is void, because him being left-handed or right-handed isn't a defining characteristic. The same doesn't happen with Link.

Besides those small details you mentioned, there's hardly any difference at the first glance, except the mirroring and cel-shading. Hell, even the hair style is the same but mirrored!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
While the realistic look was neat in Twilight Princess, I enjoy the bright color palette in Skyward. Since Smash is a party fighting game, I think it leads itself to a more fun, hectic experience with engaging colors. Prettier explosions, blinding lasers, ect.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have a bad feeling that Nintendo might make him officially right handed, since all future Zelda titles will (probably) include motion controls. :urg:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
What does it matter? Almost every Link is a different person entirely anyway. God I still remember the pointless arguments from back in 06. Mirroring a game is one thing but a reincarnation of a character changing hand preference is pointless to whine over.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We just happen to like that unique trait and/or gimmick, left handedness. That's all.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Gotta agree with RomanceDawn. Why the does it matter if a video game character is right or left handed? The Links are different reincarnations anyway, who's to say they all have to be left handed? Tradition? And Skyward Sword is the first story, and he's left handed after. So I could say the "tradition" starts afterwards.

But that's not what I'm getting at. Of all my time playing LoZ, only recently I've learned that Link is left handed. I never noticed it. And it's true for other games that has sword-users. I see the character slash with the sword, not caring what hand they use. I don't think that Link being left handed defines his character...to a certain extent. Maybe if it has a big impact on the story. Like him being a fencer and travelling to tournaments. Link would have an advantage vs a right hand fencer. But that's never going to happen...Or maybe? O.o

I do believe that Link being left handed is a unique trait. They may have made Link right handed in SS because of the motion controls, but they should of had an option in SS to play left handed as well. Or in future games, there should be both options. Not only to support both hand users, but if people want to continue the left hand tradition, they could. Then the official art and whatnot could still depict Link left handed.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Your Pit argument is void, because him being left-handed or right-handed isn't a defining characteristic. The same doesn't happen with Link.

Besides those small details you mentioned, there's hardly any difference at the first glance, except the mirroring and cel-shading. Hell, even the hair style is the same but mirrored!
You keep saying the evidence is invalid or void, but its there in every image of him and theres nothing to say otherwise. Link's hand preference hardly defines him, its a trait he has had a lot sure, but it doesnt make him link.

What does it matter? Almost every Link is a different person entirely anyway. God I still remember the pointless arguments from back in 06. Mirroring a game is one thing but a reincarnation of a character changing hand preference is pointless to whine over.
I agree though, i dont think its really even worth getting any feathers ruffled over. So what if this link is right handed? It in no way takes away from the character and it doesnt make him any less link. In the grand scheme of zelda and smash bros it doesnt make a huge difference.

---
As weve seen people have made brawl hacks for link with him reversed to and the brighter shades of color that ss link has, it looks just fine. Like so with this video of him and ghirahim

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's such a trivial aspect of the character. I bet people would genuinely get upset if Link had red hair in a future Zelda game.

Actually on the subject, I suspect Link might one day become a bit more customizable. Considering Nintendo Land's Zelda Battle Quest dresses your Mii's as Link, his physical features may become selectable to reflect the hero you want to play through Hyrule. I think it would be really neat if they one day make a Zelda game where you can change Link's:
  • Gender — [M/F]
  • Skin Color — [7 shades]
  • Hair Color — [Blonde, Dirty Blonde, Orange, Brown, Red, Black, White]
  • Eye Color — [Blue, Green, Aqua, Brown, Hazel, Red, Yellow]
  • Default Tunic Color — [Green, Red, Blue, Purple, Yellow, Black, White]

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I won't be upset if Link has red hair in a future game. He'll look like Roy. :D

But seriously, recently I was thinking of ideas on how they would change the gameplay and story of the next Zelda. And customization did come across my mind. I'm not sure how others would feel about it, but I do agree that it could be interesting for a future game. I wouldn't mind.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In the end, does it really matter if Link end's up left or right handed in smash 4? I mean he originally was a brunette before he was turned into a blonde in later games or that there are now both an adult and child versions adventuring in the games. We survived those. I'm sure we can cope if he becomes playable in smash 4 as a righty instead of lefty. That's the way SS Link was "born" and that's probably how he's probably going to play. His model and moves animations would probably get mirrored as well as getting slightly redesigned to reflect more based on how he look's in Skyward Sword. But in the end. It's still Link, wether he has brown hair or blonde, wether he's a child or adult or wether he is a lefty or righty. And like it was said, they are all multiple reincarnations with different personalities and lifestyles, there was bound to be a righty coming along sooner or later.

I just honestly don't think this is something to make a big deal over...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes it does. Because THE LINK is left handed.

Any right handed Link is a fake

Next people will be saying Mario should be customizable

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
This thread went to whether he should be right or left handed? ... ugh... My favorite series thread just keeps getting into more and more ridiculous arguments...

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Aye, so Link being a righty means he's fake. So that means...

-Green-eyed Sonic is not the real Sonic
-New haircut Dante in DMC5 is not the real Dante
-Short sleeved Mario in Sunshine is not the real Mario
-24/7 brown-eyed Ash in the Pokemon anime is not the real Ash
-Marth wearing pants in any game is not the real Marth
-Pit in Uprising is not the real Pit

Because, apparently, trivial things like these define whether a video game character is real or not. Though, who's to say a bunch of 0s and 1s are real in the first place?

This thread went to whether he should be right or left handed? ... ugh... My favorite series thread just keeps getting into more and more ridiculous arguments...
I agree. Lets try to stray away from this silly debate. I don't think I've said who I'd like for Zelda reps. Out of all the possible candidates, I wouldn't mind seeing Tingle, despise me not liking the character. I mean, he has his own series and whatnot, but I think he'd make the perfect troll fighter. Maybe that's the main reason why I'd like him in lol.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I kinda figured. But it just goes to show you that people will complain about anything.

I really hope that Ganondorf will use his WW design and perhaps a new moveset...Tooon Ganon! Would go well with Tooon Link.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I kinda figured. But it just goes to show you that people will complain about anything.

I really hope that Ganondorf will use his WW design and perhaps a new moveset...Tooon Ganon! Would go well with Tooon Link.
Idk Toon Gannon was only in one game, Toon Zelda gets my Vote. Or Vaati. Hes been in a good amount of games and im sure we havn't seen the last of him

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll prefer Ganon in his OOT design.

For newcomers, Tingle and Vaati, as in my sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom