• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think we've hit a new low in this thread. :rolleyes:

So anyway, Impa is cool beanz. And I want her in Smash.

And I'm not even sure if I want Ganondorf with a OoT moveset, or a WW moveset.

:phone:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
At least I would rather see "black magic" before another sword character. But I know that swords are popular in fighting games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Namco made Soul Calibur. So I'm sure sword characters will be mostly unique. But yeah, hard time deciding between magic and twin blades...

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
As for sheik....nobody is going to convince me that she has any reason to leave. And nobody is going to tell me that Impa is more important to her. Because sheik is princess Zelda; that's like saying robin is better than Bruce Wayne, but NOT batman.
Edit: I'm not sure this is the right way to get my point across lol
No, it most definitely isn't. :p If Bruce Wayne was only briefly one of several Batmans, then yeah, I'd say Robin is more important than Bruce. When Azrael temporarily became Batman after Bruce Wayne was paralyzed by Bane, would you say that suddenly, Azrael (Sheik) became more important to the overall Batman story than Robin (Impa)? One of them always helps Batman; one of them WAS Batman but only for a short period of time.

Well, actually if the game was a Batman fighting game, and we got Bruce Wayne instead of Robin, I would prefer Robin than having Bruce Wayne added
This.

Batman

You probably don't know who D.ick Grayson is either
SPOILERS!

**** Grayson was Robin.

:troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So Impa is like Robin, thus considered more important overall to the series than Sheik? Ok. That's cool.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah I know, but he should know though: I ain't no Joker. :glare:

I'll stop with my crappy knowledge about Batman though. Have only seen The Dark Knight, I'll admit it!

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I just don't see it. Lol I used to spend all my time on ZU and when I wasn't there I was replaying a Zelda game, and I just don't see Impa as important but I do see sheik. It cant be helped lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, you did play Skyward Sword I guess? Maybe it's the nostaliga goggles for Sheik and Ocarina of Time?

Cause that seems to be the case for many people... They're like: **** YOU! SHEIK IS THE ONLY OOT-CHARACTER LEFT IN THE ZELDA CAST! DO. NOT. ****ING. TOUCH. HER!!

Yes, people go angry like that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just don't see it. Lol I used to spend all my time on ZU and when I wasn't there I was replaying a Zelda game, and I just don't see Impa as important but I do see sheik. It cant be helped lol

Impa appeared in:

SS
OoT
Both Oracle Games
And in the manuals of the first two Zelda games.

The only Zelda characters with a more impressive list of appearances are Link, Zelda, Ganon and Tingle.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Impa appeared in:

SS
OoT
Both Oracle Games
And in the manuals of the first two Zelda games.

The only Zelda characters with a more impressive list of appearances are Link, Zelda, Ganon and Tingle.
Yeah it's Zelda Universe. I'm the reason they have a 'Future Zelda' subforum, proudly. Lol and yeah I beat skyward sword the first month it came out. It was one of the best LoZ games I've played. And tbh I'm not one of those OOT worshipers, I think for example wind waker was just as good.
And I don't care how many games she's been in, that's not what makes the character. Im just saying I like sheik as a staple. I guess that's why anyway. Lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So Impa is important then?

And Sheik is just your preference?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
So Impa is important then?

And Sheik is just your preference?
Sheik is certainly my preference.
But Impa isn't important, lol every argument FOR Impa sounds like a straight fanboy. I don't particularly like sheik either, I just see Impa as unimportant and don't see a reason why sheik should leave.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
As I've already shown, Sheik isn't that important either, especially in relation to Impa. I mean, she can be your preference and all, but if you're going to see Sheik as notable and not Impa, then you're kind of being partial and ignoring certain facts while selectively acknowledging others. Sheik and Impa had roughly equivalent roles in their respective spotlights (OoT for Sheik and SS for Impa), but Impa also played a major role in OoT as Zelda's guardian and the Sage of Shadow.

What's "OPT"? :confused:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I support Impa replacing Sheik in SSB4 Because:

1. Having Sheik in Smash has been spoiling the biggest plot twist in Oot for over a decade.
2. It would give Zelda a chance to shine on her own without being overshadowed by her (always higher on the tier list) alter-ego.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik is certainly my preference.
But Impa isn't important, lol every argument FOR Impa sounds like a straight fanboy. I don't particularly like sheik either, I just see Impa as unimportant and don't see a reason why sheik should leave.

It's not as much fanboyism as just, good analysises. People just don't like to hear it, that's all. :smirk:

TheCreator

Smash Lord
It's not as much fanboyism as just, good analysises. People just don't like to hear it, that's all. :smirk:
Analysis*

Thing is, I never said sheik was notable either. When it comes to notariety I see them as equals. But sheik is Princess Zelda. And represents OOT, seemingly a LoZ retro character I guess. I just see this as ridiculous lol I never would have thought IMPA would have a fanbase. Over TINGLE. Lol If it happens, I will be extremely surprised and I will come here. And say "you told me so. "

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, that's cool. As I know lotsa people would suddenly dissapear when Impa's confirmed. :rolleyes: Not to say that she would, but I easily see the chances as 50/50 wether they put in Sheik or Impa. So I'm actually thrilled.

I saw an Impa support thread though pre-Brawl! And it was not even made by me. It was obviously about OoT Impa though, and it even had a little moveset involving the Lens of Truth, Deku Nuts and well... Generally the OP said she'd be a good Sheik clone. Thread didn't last more than 1 or 2 pages though. But just sayin. :p

Wouldn't say Sheik is retro either. As OoT definitely marked the new approach of the Zelda series. It's the start of the new age for Zelda so to say, but Skyward Sword is yet another start in the same way. Or at least, Miyamoto felt it was. Can't really think of any actual Zelda retro characters though, besides the Old Man. And belief it or not, even HE had a support thread pre-Brawl. It was even... pretty good actually.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Impa this Impa that. Enough about Impa, let's talk about Groose!:troll:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I personally think Groose would fit perfectly as an Assist Trophy.

He meant to say OoT.
Oh, in that case, then I'm the same. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't think that OoT was necessarily the best Zelda, and I also don't think that WW was the 'other' best Zelda. My personal favorite was MM and I also really liked TP. WW was probably my least favorite Zelda. I also really dislike the first LoZ game because of how 'unguided' it can be, so I'm definitely not your 'conventional LoZ fan'. :p

I never would have thought IMPA would have a fanbase. Over TINGLE.
To be fair, I don't really know if I could call it a "fanbase", because I am one of the most avid supporters of Impa being included in Smash 4, but I'm NOT a 'fan' of Impa, per se. Rather, I enjoyed the role she played in the several LoZ games she was featured in, the same way I enjoy plenty of roles that are well-executed in LoZ (including Sheik's), and I think her inclusion in Smash would be logical and satisfactory.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My favorite Zelda games...

1. Majora's Mask
2. A Link to the Past
3. Ocarina of Time
4. The Wind Waker
5. Link's Awakening

I know who is Groose but I don't know what he would do if he were an Assist Trophy. Either way, I'd like Cuccos as Assist Trophy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Favorite Zelda games? Hmm.. Hard to say. Probably it'd be something like:

1) Wind Waker (the memory sticks the best)
2) Skyward Sword / Twilight Princess (can't make a choice)
3) Link to the Past
4) Ocarina of Time
5) Link's Awakening

Would say that even though I'm considered nr1 Impa fan here, I actually share Bubba's conviction about her. It's her mindblowing role in Skyward Sword which mostly did this, but became pretty excited cause she'd make a wonderful unique Zelda newcomer, if looked at in the right way.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Jeff. Lol.
And favorite Zeldas huh?
1. Wind Waker
2. Twilight Princess
3. Skyward Sword
4. OOT
5. Majora's mask

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Favorite Zeldas:
1. Wind Waker
2. Link's Awakening DX
3. Ocarina of Time
4. A Link to the Past
5. I dunno. Zelda 2 maybe. :troll:

3&4 are basically tied.

Edit: Still haven't played Minish Cap.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I should probably play Skyward Sword sometime

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Impa is also in Oracle of Seasons/ Ages but I wasn't any more excited

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
1. Majora's Mask
2. Skyward Sword
3. Wind Waker
4. Ocarina of Time
5. Twilight Princess

Of the earlier argument I was a part of to clarify:
I thought it over. It wouldn't be such a bad thing of Impa inherited Sheik's moveset. However I'm still against cuts and after the backlash of Mewtwo and Roy, I think a similar backlash would occur. That's probs why I prefer Sheik because I don't want to see anyone go. Though I honestly feel the best way for everyone's wants to be there is have Impa be an alternate costume for Sheik. That way everyone has Sheik or Impa, whoever they want. and everyone has their choice. It'd be a fairly simple model swap, so it shouldn't be that big a coding issue.

@Bubba: with the toon ganon idea and how I don't frequent here. I visit smashboards almost everyday, for almsot specifically the ssb4 threads. I may not comment much because most things I could say have already been said by someone else, so I don't feel the need to restate it. Did this sudden want for toon ganon happen after the WW HD announcement? I haven't seen people with the overwhelming want for toon ganon, so no I wasn't aware of it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Impa is a little taller than Sheik should be (implying SS Zelda Sheik), so in a way its still a difference. She's even a little more skinny to.

And preferably, I'd see them both in. But then I feel they would base the Triforce trio of Ocarina of Time's cast. As that would make the most sence. Basically, I have two different kinds of rosters in my mind. With two definiate picks: Toon Link :toonlink: and Impa.

Roster One:
-Skyward Sword based characters:
Link (including Skyward Strike, vertical spin attack -D Smash or Aerial Up B?-, a fast AAA attack similar to Marth's Side B. Sailcloth 'glide'? Rolling Bombs? Double Clawshot grabs and tether?)
Zelda (Goddess spells are revamped on how Link used them in Ocarina of Time. New Down B as well, new Final Smash)
Impa (magic, Barrier attack, Deku Nuts and similar combo based moveset as Sheik, kind of a mix between Lucario and Sheik)
*Ghirahim (uses his projectiles similary as Sheik's needles, and borrows Sheik's N Air and F Tilt, further than that, he's got his sword attacks where he's most similar to Marth, and a great sword for one of his specials or smash attacks)*

-Wind Waker based characters:
Toon Link (Fire and Ice Arrows when B is full charged, Skull Hammer Down Smash? Deku Leaf glide? Boomerang and Bombs stay the same. Further Luigified, maybe also with the Helm Splitter attack?)
Ganondorf (twin blades baby :cool: )

Roster Two:
-Ocarina of Time based characters:
Link (Up B becomes the magical Spin Attack, Boomerang becomes...?)
Zelda / Sheik (Zelda could also get revamped specials like SS Zelda, which would make more sence but I'd keep them the same here but with Din's Fire stronger and Down B switching fast like in Melee)
Ganondorf (Dark Magic B moves and further Luigified tilts, aerials and specials)

-Skyward Sword characters:
Impa (Same as roster 1)

-Wind Waker characters:
Toon Link (Same as roster 1)
*Toon Zelda / Tetra (maybe Toon Zelda could get old Zelda's specials while OoT Zelda does them as in OoT? Tetra throws daggers instead of needles and has a grappling hook instead of the chain)*

*=maybe

But yeah Reaper, WW Ganondorf is now definitely more popular as before because of Wind Waker HD.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
1. The Wind Waker
2. Spirit Tracks
3. Skyward Sword
4. Twilight Princess
5. Phantom Hourglass

I think some people need to start letting go of Ocarina of Time. I'm pro-Sheik because I'm generally anti-cuts, but I think the idea of having the main Link character be based solely on Ocarina of Time is ridiculous. I'm still in favour of an amalgamated Link that through costume changes can represent many of his incarnations, with focus on shared items rather than instalment specific ones (eg Gale boomerang).

Ganondorf's not quite so simple because there is less common ground in his appearances. Twilight Princess is probably the closest to the middle ground in both appearance and moveset, but like others have said Wind Waker will have currency due to the HD remake. I say get the man a sword. He doesn't have to use it for everything, but it would be a handy addition.

I'm not against Impa, but again due to Wind Waker HD she'll probably have to overcome Tetra if a new Zelda rep is prioritised. I know Impa's had more appearances (and was arguably more story important in most of them) but Tetra's probably more recognisable and therefore marketable.

Speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom