• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pit was a retro though. They got revived for the purpose of shock vallue, or whatever you like to call it. Also remember that one game Kid Icarus Uprising? Yeah, it totally used Pit's Brawl design. :rolleyes:

Point remains: Sheik is not a retro. Nor from a dead franchise. Zelda has 1000 characters just about better than Sheik, Impa has à recent revival in the series, and it's à ****ing awesome role. Now is the best time to replace Sheik. And I have little doubts about this happening.

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Still doesn't make your argument more valid. :glare: I don't recall the Ice Climbers having a major redesign like Pit, rendering your point null and void...

And yes, I am aware that Pit's Brawl design is used in Uprising (I still play that game). Though the reason for that could be because of Sakurai...

D

Deleted member

That's not the point, Diddy.
He's saying that Pit got a completely revamped appearance out of the blue for Brawl rather than just taking his Melee trophy model or just basing it off of his old games like the Ice Climbers.
So to use the argument that Sheik can't get a redesign because "it doesn't exist" is heavily flawed.
And Uprising is a moot point, as that game wasn't even concieved in thought until years after Brawl.

Then again, you'll probably just ignore this as well. :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Again, retro's are different than other characters. They're also the only valid choices for their respective series. Unlike Sheik.

I'm not even ignoring you, it seems more like you're the one ignoring me.

Also am not even saying Sheik's redesign is not possible cause a model doesn't excist. I'm mostly saying it cause it makes no sence. And that last part is just being denied every time. While basically half the thread agrees with me on this point. :rolleyes:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Lolwut, Diddy. I don't think retro characters are that special as you think... >_>

Besides, if Pit was already retro in Melee's time (2001) and considering the original KI's release in 1987... now considering SSB4 will be released in 2014/2015... and Ocarina of Time was originally released in 1998... shall we do the math?

2001 - 1987 = 14
2014 - 1998 = 16

Therefore, Sheik is as retro as Pit was in Melee's time? o.o

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pit was a retro though. They got revived for the purpose of shock vallue, or whatever you like to call it. Also remember that one game Kid Icarus Uprising? Yeah, it totally used Pit's Brawl design. :rolleyes:

Point remains: Sheik is not a retro. Nor from a dead franchise. Zelda has 1000 characters just about better than Sheik, Impa has à recent revival in the series, and it's à ****ing awesome role. Now is the best time to replace Sheik. And I have little doubts about this happening.

Sheik's been in a recent game

Scribblenaughts

If you think about it, Scribblenaughts only added a few characters, and one of them was sheik. Says something about him/her/it/penguin

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Beedle is also there...

Scribblenauts is also not a Zelda game.

Concept of retro is quite different, as Zelda is still an ongoing series unlike Kid Icarus. Hence why Pit is considered retro to me, and not Sheik.

And why is OoT3D now ruled out? :rolleyes: Cause it doesn't fit your wants probably.

Impa is likelier than any of you like to admit, and thats why I'm so strongly defending her.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Smash Bros. isn't a Zelda game too, so your point is...?

Sheik is likelier than Diddy Kong likes to admit, and thats why I'm so strongly defending her. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smash Bros still is a first party Nintendo game. Scribblenauts is not.

D

Deleted member

You wonder why no one takes you seriously, Diddy....
This is why. Poor argumentation.

Welp, I wasted more time than I wanted to here, so I'm clocking out of this thread for and not coming back if I don't have to.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Like your arguments are anything better?

Look, Impa people side with me. Sheik people side with you. It's that easy. Don't have to bash others for it, especially if you're doing the same. :rolleyes:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ah, whatever... nothing stops Sheik and Impa appearing at the same time.

This said, I'm out!

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I left a while ago. I just had to let you know you were wrong about smash being first party, and that the retro argument is invalid

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why is it invallid? Cause every character is relevant in Smash except for retro's and Sheik?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, but a recent appearance as lackluster as that hardly makes her relevant. Never said Sheik was retro either. That was Frostwraith last page.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok well, thats my bad then.

Relevant means to have considerable impact on the series as a whole. Sheik doesn't have that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Safe for Impa, Toon Zelda / Tetra and Ganondorf's moveset ;)

Maybe Ghirahim and Demise as well, but we gotta make priorities somewhere.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've been torn between whether I wanted to see Wind Waker rereleased to the 3DS or Wii U. When Ocarina of Time 3D was announced and people were going crazy over a Majora's Mask 3D sometime afterwards, I started to lean more to the idea of a Wind Waker HD when the Wii U came along. Then I pretty much forgot about it because everyone went so crazy over Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past remakes where I begun to believe that a Wind Waker remake would be nothing else but a pipe dream but yeah... look what we have now... :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wind Waker is the easy choice in many ways. Majora's Mask would need an enourmous graphical update for the Wii U to look acceptable. And LttP needed to be made into 3D. And they wanted to give you something to made the waiting easier for Zelda fans. Wind Waker is in many ways the best choice.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
You could argue that Jigglypuff is irrelevant, because she is. But I'm not going to. Like I said, I just see it like that, an I would bet money that sheik stays.
No, Jiggs is still somewhat 'relevant' because of popularity. Now the question is: Is Impa popular enough to receive the same treatment? Going by this thread, I'd say she is. Sure, a lot of you don't want her in, but a lot of us DO want her in. This topic is quite popular in and of itself. Perhaps Sakurai will avoid the whole topic altogether by just removing Sheik and refusing to put Impa in. :p

If Sheik stays, it will most likely be because Sakurai wants to keep the transformation gimmick...
Nah, if Sakurai really wants to keep the transformation gimmick so badly, he has PT and Samus to work with. He could even make it easier to transform back and forth between Samus and ZSS. He no longer needs Sheilda to keep up that front.

-Sheik is OoT Zelda. So really, it's a case of OoT Zelda vs. SS Zelda, in which case, OoT Zelda's full extent of powers have not been shown, while SS Zelda just seems to be a regular mortal with a singular use of a godly power for last resort. This is further backed by how Hylia essentially gave up her divine power and immortality to be reborn as a mortal. So if anything, that crystal sleep is the last she would ever be able to do.
Actually, for all you know, that could have been only the beginning of what she could do after she revived her memories as Hylia the Goddess. If you ask me, that would actually be the perfect backdrop for her to gain her old Smash moveset with a few tweaks, of course. Also, as I sad before, she's the ONLY Zelda to ever have access to the full Triforce.

What i'm not understanding, is why they would replace a character just so that they can give the new character the same moveset. That makes no sense, and likely, causes development to last longer. Realistically, they could just give Sheik a Skyward Sword redesign, and be done with it.
Does the name Toon Link strike a bell? Do you realize that Toon Link's moveset is basically a direct port from Young Link's moveset with a few tweaks for the new Brawl environment? The only moves that are arguably very different are nair and bair.

Mind you, the only truly important role Impa played, was in Skyward Sword. Sure, she shows up in almost every other game, but she is basically a side character other than Skyward Sword.
>Forgetting the important role she played as Zelda's guardian AND a sage in OoT. Also, see directly below:

Smash Zelda is an amalgamation of multiple Zeldas, NOT a specific one. Same with Link. They merely take the style of a certain one as their look.
Smash Zelda is the amalgamation of nothing. Not ONE of her moves was ever used by a Zelda, especially not in the manner she was using them. Smash Zelda is a visually OoT/TP Zelda with a completely made-up moveset. This is why literally anything can work in Smash. Along that note (and this is targeted at Scoliosis as well), Impa in Smash 4 can just be an amalgamation of SS Impa and OoT Impa (who is basically just Sheik anyway).

I'd also like to note, that if we are going to mention how important Impa is, then lets think about who is quite possibly the most important character in Skyward Sword. Ghirahim.

Had he not completed his task, then the rest of the games in the series would never happen. Ever. So when comparing Ghirahim to Impa, who is "more important"?
Nope, I say Demise is most important. Had Ghirahim completed his task, this would still be true. :smirk: The most chilling boss battles were always when Link faced The Imprisoned One, and Demise was also more hyped up, even if his battle was a little disappointing, but hey, all of Ghirahim's battles were beyond easy and disappointing as well (actually SS' boss battles in general and maybe even the game as a whole had this problem).

All these questions will surely be answered during E3.
Possibly not. Don't get your hopes up. Sakurai may just opt to avoid ALL of the controversy surrounding the next LoZ 'theme' by making it so that we never even see a single aspect related to LoZ in whatever's screened.

Edit: Sakurai has already stated several times in interviews that he's tired of people taking simple statements he makes and taking them to all-new heights of speculation. Now imagine the possible roars/rumors/outrage that could be sparked by an E3 video, even one that isn't conclusive in the slightest.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff is not relavent because she DOESN'T have popularity. She did. That's how she got in. She lost it. That's why she's irrelevant. in fact she has somewhat of a hate-base now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Jigglypuff is not relavent because she DOESN'T have popularity. She did. That's how she got in. She lost it. That's why she's irrelevant. in fact she has somewhat of a hate-base now.

Jigglypuff never really had popularity.

I think people are mixing up jigglypuff with clefairy

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Jiggly did though. She was popular in Japan around the time the first volume of the manga came out. And she was a reoccurring character then too.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Point remains, Impa is quickly gaining fans but only conservative non-cut people are against it. 99,89% of them do not even play as Sheik anyways. And if they did, they play her in Melee, not Brawl. :rolleyes:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Point remains, Impa is quickly gaining fans but only conservative non-cut people are against it. 99,89% of them do not even play as Sheik anyways. And if they did, they play her in Melee, not Brawl. :rolleyes:

This. I get the feeling that people here don't want Impa, not because she's a bad character but rather because they feel threatened that Sheik would be replaced with Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pretty much. And it's been confirmed by many as I was much more fierce about Impa 'back then' than I am now. They almost begged me to stop raiding pages about Impa.

And yes, people do feel treathened by her. And I understand, cause Lucario treathened me to pre-Brawl. Mewtwo didn't got in however, and felt quite bitter towards Lucario for a while but now I accept him.

Doubt Sheik's exclusion would cause that big a backlash though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This. I get the feeling that people here don't want Impa, not because she's a bad character but rather because they feel threatened that Sheik would be replaced with Impa.

I don't want Impa because she's been fat, old, and freakishly muscular in her games before.

She's practically a different person in every game

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link also lost a lot of weight and lenght between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, except, all the weight and lenght went into his head. :rolleyes:

I believe they found a staple with this new design however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom