• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Franchise Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demise is the ORIGIN of Ganon. Ganondorf is his re-incarnation. That alone is actually reason enough to include Demise over Ghirahim in Smash 4. :p
Demise and Ganondorf? Could work but they could end up being the Marth/Roy and Ness/Luca doubles.

so really it didnt effect who made the roster, just how they would be displayed. yeah, huge influence :smirk:
It influenced the roster in terms of looks and move-set. Maybe not the biggest influence but influence non the less. XD

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
But do we really want Sheik to be given the Skyward Sword design to accompany Link and Zelda?

It should impact art style, characters, and movesets.
Sheik doesn't have to have a SS redesign because she fit in just fine with twilight princess Zelda, she can with SS Zelda.

Actually, DragonSniper makes another good point. Sakurai stated that Sheik was redesigned in Brawl to match the new TP layout for all the adult LoZ chars. The same could (and should) happen to any adult LoZ char that's included in Smash 4 if he picks another theme again, which he probably will. If SS becomes the theme, either Sheik will be redesigned again, which is silly, or she will be removed and Impa will be brought in.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
And why does he have no chance? It is not like he wasn't important to the game or anything.

I see both, as Impa would take Sheik's spot.

And Gross is an AT with the Groosenator.
said it before. he's a one shot that was important in one game. yes the most recent but still just one game. like Zant or Midna in TP, or Skull Kid in MM. he's popular a previlent now but in the overall series, he's not a very big deal.

said it before. he's a one shot that was important in one game. yes the most recent but still just one game. like Zant or Midna in TP, or Skull Kid in MM. he's popular a previlent now but in the overall series, he's not a very big deal.
He may not be, but that doesn't mean he has a 0% chance.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Honestly, the SS Zelda just does not fit as a playable character. She lacks the vibe that OoT Zelda and TP Zelda give, and I think it may have to do with being a happy cheery schoolgirl in comparison to their seriousness.

That, and she was utterly pathetic that needed someone as equally pathetic as Impa to be a bodyguard. :troll:
In a vein, SS Zelda and SS Impa really do make sense together. They are both simply pathetic. :awesome:
Are you telling me that it made sense to put Zelda in a Smash Bros game before Sakurai just went ahead and did it? Lightning kicks, her specials, ALL of her moves, would any of it have made sense before Melee? Believe me, if Sakurai decided to add SS Zelda to Smash 4's roster, he'd find a way to make it work and it would look excellent. TL is arguably too 'comical' for a serious game, yet Sakurai made him work flawlessly.

Impa was anything but pathetic, man! :glare: An impenetrable force field? A Rasengan-like ball that created huge explosions? The only time she really had trouble was when Ghirahim himself attacked her and Zelda.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for anyone who says SS Zelda is too 'wimpy' or 'cheery' to fit in Smash, I urge you all to take a very good look at Peach.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I wasn't talking about moves. It's the look of the character. OoT and TP zelda I can see kicking *** and taking names. SS Zelda looks more gentle.
Are you guys kidding me? OoT Zelda looks like the saddest, wimpiest girl ever when she reveals herself. If you didn't already know that she was also Sheik, I'm pretty sure it would have been easy to assume that she had just spent all her time crying in a corner, waiting for you to arrive.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Hey guys, can we stop the spamming? :c

It's just Zelda. Her design seems (for lack of a better word) very childish and sweet, not someone you'd expect to be fighting.
Someone has a thing against 'innocence' portrayed in fighting games. :p

Of course, they probably will use the SS design. Or maybe they'll SS-ify her older design. That'd actually be pretty kickass.
This actually sounds promising. So you mean like a SS Zelda who's a little older or something? Kinda like what was done with Sheik but applied to Zelda? That could make sense.....

Zant could have been in but he missed his spot. Will Ghirahim end up like him? Maybe yes and maybe no. But one thing is sure, Ghirahim is the more popular character. XD
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I personally liked Demise as a character way more than Ghirahim. He was SO bad-*** one couldn't help but like him. Ghirahim was just too.....whiny and emotional. :facepalm: The same goes for TP Ganon compared to Zant. Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of people were hoping Zant would be in Smash as well, but we got TP Ganon instead, so I don't think popularity is going to save Ghirahim.

None of which constitute holding her own.
So she can play an instrument. Big whoop. Here, while someone is going to punch me, I'll play the song of my people! That'll work against them!
To be perfectly fair, all we ever saw Zelda/Sheik really do was play an Ocarina to teach us songs. I'm sure Sheik had some combat skills, but we never saw them in action, and Zelda literally did nothing but give us the Ocarina of Time and teach us songs.

D

Deleted member

Are you telling me that it made sense to put Zelda in a Smash Bros game before Sakurai just went ahead and did it? Lightning kicks, her specials, ALL of her moves, would any of it have made sense before Melee? Believe me, if Sakurai decided to add SS Zelda to Smash 4's roster, he'd find a way to make it work and it would look excellent.
This is all subjective and incredibly biased. For one, OoT Zelda is implied to have done her share of fighting off-screen as Sheik, so right then and there, she's no stranger to a brawl. Being a Sage, she also has magical capabilities at which the extent of them is unknown.
The most SS Zelda has done? Put herself to sleep in a crystal as a last resort, with seemingly no other power despite being a goddess reborn. I honestly don't see how a fighter can possibly be made out of that without looking ridiculous, but to each his own.

TL is arguably too 'comical' for a serious game, yet Sakurai made him work flawlessly.
Yes, the boy that frigging IMPALED GANONDORF'S SKULL is too comical for a serious game. :rolleyes:

Impa was anything but pathetic, man! :glare: An impenetrable force field? A Rasengan-like ball that created huge explosions? The only time she really had trouble was when Ghirahim himself attacked her and Zelda.
I wasn't aware the definition of "impenetrable" was changed to "can be broken". When did this happen?
In case my sarcasm falls flat, the force field is not impenetrable; Ghirahim was able to break it. You can give all the excuses in the world about "oh, but it's Ghirahim, that doesn't really count", however, by definition, the fact he was able to break it means the field is not impenetrable. Durable is the better word.
And really, having all the flashy powers in the world means nothing if you can't do your job as a bodyguard. Impa ultimately failed in her task in protecting Zelda from Ghirahim, the very one she needed to protect Zelda from. Granted, she's less pathetic than Groose or SS Zelda (I mean, if she was a goddess reborn, why would she need a bodyguard in the first place?), but still overhyped beyond all belief by you and Diddy.
Then again, I have a different sense of "pathetic", as I find Demise to be more of a pathetic villain than Ghirahim. I mean, despite all odds, despite he getting beaten multiple times and his plans seemingly completely thwarted, Ghirahim still manages to complete his goal by thinking ahead. Now all of a sudden, the Big Bad, who's supposed to be much more powerful, gets beaten once and he has to use a reincarnation to curse Link's and Zelda's bloodlines? Weak. His boss fight was rather lackluster as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for anyone who says SS Zelda is too 'wimpy' or 'cheery' to fit in Smash, I urge you all to take a very good look at Peach.
Peach is not comparable, as she's shown considerably more of the opposite than SS Zelda has.
Aside from that, the main issue with SS Zelda is that she is too "wimpy"/"cheery" in comparison to the previous Zeldas that have been in Smash so far. If it was the first time Zelda would be playable, it would be more understandable, but OoT and TP set a standard in Smash that SS simply cannot replicate without being out of place. It'd be like taking CD-i Link, and having him as TP Link's replacement, expecting him to just fit.

Are you guys kidding me? OoT Zelda looks like the saddest, wimpiest girl ever when she reveals herself. If you didn't already know that she was also Sheik, I'm pretty sure it would have been easy to assume that she had just spent all her time crying in a corner, waiting for you to arrive.
You're using the appearance of an face for an in-game model from 98 as how she looks sad and wimpy?
...I'm going to choose to not respond to this one.

To be perfectly fair, all we ever saw Zelda/Sheik really do was play an Ocarina to teach us songs. I'm sure Sheik had some combat skills, but we never saw them in action, and Zelda literally did nothing but give us the Ocarina of Time and teach us songs.
And use magic to hold Ganon in place, send you back in time, open sealed doors.
Only the first one is combat applicable (except for maybe controlling time in a FS if OoT Zelda was the ONLY one to go by), however, the full extent of her magic is unknown, while the crystal sleep in SS seems to be a one-time deal and last resort.
Sheik is also implied to have been fighting swarms of enemies off-camera, and there is promotional art of Link and Sheik fighting a horde with weapons drawn (Sheik wielding a knife).

EDIT: This will be the last I have to say on this. I'm not getting into another Impa debate or anything that has to do with one. Especially with a pair of Impa fanatics that go bonkers over anything short of praising Impa being frequents in this thread.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, does it even matter if said character is too "wimpy" or "cheerful" or "not serious enough" for smash? I mean, this is super smash bros we are talking about. A series where you comically launch a character away like they were shot from a canon by a smash attack for example. The games aren't that serious to begin with. The characters are just toys after all.

We may as well call Lucas or Jigglypuff too "wimpy" (Not implying they are, I know Lucas grows up to become courageus at the end of Mother 3 and Jigglypuff can be a total beast when used right) or that Peach and Pikachu are too "cheerfull" for smash. Yet here they are.

And honestly I agree. While Ocarina of Time Zelda did remain calm and cool as Sheik, that all pretty much faded away once she got captured by Ganondorf, then she spends the rest of the game screaming in fear until you beat him. She was very helpful when you were evacuating from the castle and keeping Ganon at bay to deal the final blow though.

And honestly GoldenYuiitusin, I think you're being a little biased against SS Zelda yourself. She didn't spend the whole game stuck inside that orange thing. The first portion she actually spend searching for those temple's while likely knowing that she's in deep danger. It must have taken her at least "some" courage to make her way through a land she has never been to before and with monsters roaming around until she was saved by Impa when she was surrounded by those Bokoblins and guided her through the rest of her journey. =/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The most SS Zelda has done? Put herself to sleep in a crystal as a last resort, with seemingly no other power despite being a goddess reborn. I honestly don't see how a fighter can possibly be made out of that without looking ridiculous, but to each his own.

Ey yo whatsup. Just checking in to remember you I can beat yo *** with my F Air and B Air barrage of ultimate destruction. :jigglypuffmelee:

Ohhh wanna intimidate me? THINK YOU BIG HUH, BOWSER? HERE EAT MY FEET! Oh DK, looking buff, want me to gimp yo *** with a foot in your face while trying to recover? DIDN'T THINK SO! Ganondorf, you the King of all Evil? DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH! I'mma kill you, WHILE.... I.... SLEEP! :mad: *Rest kills Ganon*

*****es better respect the Green Bandana. :cool:

Just for your information, SS Zelda might actually be the strongest Zelda canoncally out there. She just didn't reach her potential, cause she was mostly in denial she was Hylia reborn.

At the very least, she could bust Sheik's ***. Who again, did nothing on screen at all to give a slight hint of fighting abilities.

Impa is the Goddess her OWN HANDPICKED WARRIOR. Must say something. She could've picked Link instead, cause she's a Goddess and all, but she didn't.

Just a reminder cutesy characters can kick *** in Smash as well.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
SS Zelda will be used regardless. She's the most recent rendition of Zelda. I see nothing illogical about her having the same moveset as old Zelda, although I could see some changes made. I could also see her turning into sheik and have no problem with that.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I couldn't see her turn into Sheik at all. Sheik was not in Skyward Sword, nor was there any reason for her to be in there, and would just be a big, fat, slimey spit in the face for Impa supporters.

Again, why should they do the effort to make Sheik able to fit in if they can just use Impa, who's way more important to Zelda overall?

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Because sheik is more important to smash bros. I'm sure a redesign from OOT graphics to TP graphics would be much harder to implement than a switch from OOT graphics to SS graphics, and honestly how sheik looks in OOT3D looks like what SS Zelda could turn into already. As far fetched as that sounds, keep in mind that when TP Zelda turned into Sheik, her hair changed colors. I don't even see that necessary anymore.

Besides, the only place I see Impa supported at all is here.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's not hard at all, cause they had a design as GoldenY posted above. Her hair color might've changed
again: it's cause she's warping between space and time :rolleyes:
but she doesn't change her skintone anymore.

And how is Sheik important to Smash Bros? She's only a transformation character coupled to Zelda. Zelda herself is the important character, Sheik is not. OOT3DS doesn't make Sheik any more relevant to the series, as it's the same exact role, and still all she does is teach songs and dissapear.

Plus, the concept of Zelda / Sheik really sucks, and always left Zelda being overshadowed by her alterego. :rolleyes: Sheik is "SUPPOSED" to do the damage, but "SHE CAN'T FINISH", while Zelda just sucks, and when you land a blow (which doesn't happens much) it's like 'DA FAQ JUST HAPPENED?' this is not really effective. Especially in Melee, where Sheik could do just about everything beter than Zelda. In Brawl, both decided to suck, but Sheik was still better - so used more.

It's all about Sheik's moveset and playstyle that makes her 'popular', and Impa can do everything Sheik could, but better, and add something to the moveset Sheik couldn't: barriers, Deku Nuts, a different fighting style and magic.

Impa is actually supported just about everywhere. Even on Gay***s. I just happen to be the most vocal supporter around. :D

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I'm just saying I don't see Impa as an important character to the Zelda series. That probably won't change. I don't see sheik as one either, but sheik is part of princess Zelda.
I would bet money to someone that Sheik will return. They have no reason to take her out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik is pretty much the only character from Brawl's roster I'd deem irrelevant. Outside of retro's, but again, retro's aren't part of an extremely popular franchise as Zelda, so there goes the argument. :rolleyes:

TheCreator

Smash Lord
You could argue that Jigglypuff is irrelevant, because she is. But I'm not going to. Like I said, I just see it like that, an I would bet money that sheik stays.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You could argue that Jigglypuff is irrelevant, because she is. But I'm not going to. Like I said, I just see it like that, an I would bet money that sheik stays.

If Jigglypuff stays, it will most likely because it is a late addition to buff the roster in the last minute. Sakurai already has the data and models and all that.

If Sheik stays, it will most likely be because Sakurai wants to keep the transformation gimmick... But Sakurai will use Impa as a basis for Sheik's SSB4 design. Yeah, we are still going to play as Impa and delude ourselves that we are playing as Sheik because the name reads "Sheik".

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm pretty sure that if Sakurai kept Ness but renamed him Ninten, there will be a backlash because some people think that Ness was cut and Ninten replaced him despite the fact they look identical to each other. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

I find it a complete double standard that I can't view SS Zelda as the one that shouldn't be used because she doesn't really fit, but it's all well and fine for Diddy to say that Sheik can't be used because she doesn't fit SS Zelda. :glare:

And once again, Diddy Kong acts as though Sheik is a seperate entity. :rolleyes:
"She can at least bust Sheik's ***" because Sheik hasn't shown anything on-screen despite it being implied that she is fighting off enemies in-between Link's lessons?
Problems with this:
-Sheik is OoT Zelda. So really, it's a case of OoT Zelda vs. SS Zelda, in which case, OoT Zelda's full extent of powers have not been shown, while SS Zelda just seems to be a regular mortal with a singular use of a godly power for last resort. This is further backed by how Hylia essentially gave up her divine power and immortality to be reborn as a mortal. So if anything, that crystal sleep is the last she would ever be able to do.
-NEITHER Sheik nor SS Zelda have shown to do anything on-screen that would show any sense of fighting ability, so the point is moot about how Sheik never did.

Diddy is also wrong about how Link could have been the "handpicked warrior". Link didn't exist when Hylia sent Impa into the future to protect her future incarnation and tell her about her former life. Aside from that, Impa is not as much a "handpicked warrior" as she is among a set of a chosen races to serve as Hylia's guardians. The only thing SHE was "handpicked" for was to be sent to the future. And it was more or less luck of the draw rather than chosen by fate like Link.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Sheik ISN'T a separate entity. That's why it would be weird as heck for her to still be included in Smash 4 alongside with a Zelda that doesn't fit (aka not OoT or TP). In other words, as I said before, it all depends on which LoZ 'theme' Sakurai picks for his next game.

Edit: And if seriousness really dictates whether a char's feasibility to be included, then Luigi really shouldn't be in Smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What i'm not understanding, is why they would replace a character just so that they can give the new character the same moveset. That makes no sense, and likely, causes development to last longer. Realistically, they could just give Sheik a Skyward Sword redesign, and be done with it.

Sheik got into Smash Bros., as a popular character at the time (before Melee), so in a way she is important to Smash Bros. If I remember correctly, Sheik was meant to be in Twilight Princess, but they didn't use the idea. Not that it really matters.

Mind you, the only truly important role Impa played, was in Skyward Sword. Sure, she shows up in almost every other game, but she is basically a side character other than Skyward Sword.

If i'm presented with a good argument, I might understand. But, arguments such as "she's Zelda's guardian" don't work for me. Look at who the rest of the Zelda cast consists of. The protagonist, antagonist, and damsel in distress. Impa, as a side character for the most part, doesn't really fit. Sheik is a part of the roster, and has stayed that way, because she is a part of Zelda's character. She isn't entirely irrelevant either because of OoT 3D. So chances are, they won't get rid of her.

D

Deleted member

Sheik isn't a seperate entity, she is Zelda.
Smash Zelda is an amalgamation of multiple Zeldas, NOT a specific one. Same with Link. They merely take the style of a certain one as their look.
Since one Zelda has been able to use the Sheik disguise, then Smash Zelda would logically be able to do so as well, regardless of appearance.
While this also serves as a counterargument in how SS Zelda could be able to use the same moves as OoT and TP in Smash, note that I didn't say it couldn't happen; just that it looks too damn awkward to me to see her do it.

Then again, I don't want SS designs for any of the Triforce Trio for specific reasons that only apply to my tastes. If say, Impa manages to become a playable character on her own (not affecting Zelda/Sheik), then sure, have SS design for her.
With Link, it's those fugly lips. I never want to see that lip style again.
With Zelda, it's that she doesn't give off the same vibe I get from OoT Zelda or TP Zelda.
With Sheik, it's that she'd be a cutesy kunoichi to fit with SS Zelda, and I shudder at the thought.
With Ganondorf, it's that he would take MANY cues from Demise for obvious reasons. I want Ganondorf, not Demise Jr.

This is why I would rather keep the TP style, revert back to OoT style, or go with Zelda Wii U if it's anything like the tech demo from last year.

Edit: And if seriousness really dictates whether a char's feasibility to be included, then Luigi really shouldn't be in Smash.
You honestly don't read what is said, do you?
I'm saying that SS Zelda doesn't fit the same vibe given out by the previous appearances of Zelda in Smash. It has nothing to do with her herself.
I even said that if this would be Zelda's first time as a playable character in Smash, it'd be more understandable. But it's not. It'd be the same damn thing as CD-i Link being the "Link" in Smash 4. It just doesn't make sense. I even used that example earlier, but it seems you just completely ignored it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sheik isn't a seperate entity, she is Zelda.
Smash Zelda is an amalgamation of multiple Zeldas, NOT a specific one. Same with Link. They merely take the style of a certain one as their look.
Since one Zelda has been able to use the Sheik disguise, then Smash Zelda would logically be able to do so as well, regardless of appearance.
While this also serves as a counterargument in how SS Zelda could be able to use the same moves as OoT and TP in Smash, note that I didn't say it couldn't happen; just that it looks too damn awkward to me to see her do it.

Then again, I don't want SS designs for any of the Triforce Trio for specific reasons that only apply to my tastes. If say, Impa manages to become a playable character on her own (not affecting Zelda/Sheik), then sure, have SS design for her.
With Link, it's those fugly lips. I never want to see that lip style again.
With Zelda, it's that she doesn't give off the same vibe I get from OoT Zelda or TP Zelda.
With Sheik, it's that she'd be a cutesy kunoichi to fit with SS Zelda, and I shudder at the thought.
With Ganondorf, it's that he would take MANY cues from Demise for obvious reasons. I want Ganondorf, not Demise Jr.

This is why I would rather keep the TP style, revert back to OoT style, or go with Zelda Wii U if it's anything like the tech demo from last year.
Yea I agree. The design doesn't really fit. Hopefully they have some sort of trailer for the new one, and then the design of the characters can be taken form that game.

I'd also like to note, that if we are going to mention how important Impa is, then lets think about who is quite possibly the most important character in Skyward Sword. Ghirahim.

Had he not completed his task, then the rest of the games in the series would never happen. Ever. So when comparing Ghirahim to Impa, who is "more important"?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I mostly agree with Golden here.

I think for SSB4 they should take the HD models from Zelda Wii U (or the tech demo). They could even make new looks for the Triforce trio based on the tech demo or Zelda Wii U. Or perhaps make HD models based on TP or OoT (or even taking cues from both).

Toon Link would have his model lifted from the Wind Waker remake, obviously.

All these questions will surely be answered during E3.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa doesn't even need to copy Sheik's moveset, but including her would be the best excuse ever to totally revamp Sheik's moves. As the Zelda / Sheik duo character idea just doesn't work. It's inbalanced, and not even unique anymore.

And say about Skyward Sword's Impa what you want, but one good role beats a mediocre one. Sheik may be recent again with OoT3D, but that doesn't make her relevant. She'd need another actual role for that, and it's unlikely she'll ever get one.

Might also be the reason she was scrapped from Twilight Princess. Cause fans would know Sheik = Zelda in an instant, and it would spoil the plot immediately. Hence she also wasn't even planned for Skyward Sword, but another Sheikah, Impa did make it in. See where I'm getting at?

Plus, Impa has actual abilities in game.

Speak about Ghirahim what you will, but it was mostly Impa that kept him away from Zelda. She had a huge deal to do with every thing story related that happened off screen. Moreso than what was ever implied from Sheik (saving Ruto's frozen *** from under the ice? *****, gimme Fire Arrows and I'll do it myself :smirk: ). Plus, Ghirahim and Impa have a sprt of rivality going on. So if Ghirahim makes it, don't expect Sheik to be coupled to SS Zelda.

Plus, Impa is the first damn guardian of the damn Triforce itself!

And it makes no sence to dodge Zelda's SS design just cause she looks innocent, and you two don't want her in like that / think she'd be awkward.

SS styled Sheik on a moveset on SS Zelda really makes no sence at all.

Only reason Sheik would come back is if they would style Zelda characters after Ocarina of Time. Which won't happen. Perhaps on the 3DS version, but not on the Wii U.

Also, Impa is really the best excuse to replace Sheik with on a separate character spot. She instructed Zelda to be Sheik in OoT, so yeah, there's reason to believe she could do ANYTHING Sheik could do, and more as shown in Skyward Sword. With characters getting new skills and all, Impa is easily the best choice.

If you want a transforming character, root for Toon Zelda and Tetra. Maybe they could be balanced. :smirk:

Impa vs Tetra.
Ninjas vs Pirates dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom