• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zebes: Metroid General Thread

Favorite Metroid game

• Total voters

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think it would make for a good story if Metroid did an origin story line. Back when the Chozo first give Samus her suit. A game with living Chozo facing the threat of extinction would be awesome.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The Chozo didn't go extinct, they vanished... Presumably they ascended to a higher plane of existence willingly. I think in Prime 3 it mentioned some were merely in a galaxy far far away.

I don't think they could use any of the old villains for cannon reasons. Ridley wasn't first fought until the first game, and Mother Brain wouldn't be evil at that point. And they wouldn't be able to give Samus her shoulder pads either...

If they wanted something more reboot-y I think they'd go for a Super remake in vein of Zero Mission.

D

Deleted member

You know, it would be nice, in this dark times, to see a bit more of an activity on this thread by participating more to begin with, don't you think ?

Anyway, since it seems Metroidvanias are making more profit nowadays as downloadable titles at low prices, how would you feel if upcoming Metroid titles go the same way and become downloadable eShop titles ?

EDIT : Any mod who would have the kindness to fusion this post with the one above will be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it would be nice, in this dark times, to see a bit more of an activity on this thread by participating more to begin with, don't you think ?

Anyway, since it seems Metroidvanias are making more profit as downloadable titles at low prices, how would you feel if upcoming Metroid titles go the same way and become downloadable eShop titles ?
if it meant more quality metroid games i dont care if they are put on floppy discs. I just want more metroid
:061:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I mean I would not be opposed to more 2D Metroids....but I kind of expect more from Nintendo than just a $5 eshop title...

Doesn't exactly say much about a franchise that went from being critically acclaimed and innovative to small budget eshop titles...

I know it may sound like I'm being picky, but I want more than just 'more games'...for the past decade there hasn't been much for us to be excited about from an official standpoint...
I want to feel the same comparative hype that I feel for games like BotW and Sun/Moon...

D

Deleted member

Meta-Ridley's figure by First 4 Figures as briefly shown in early development during the latest F4F's stream.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want a sidescrolling metroidvania Metroid game, that'd be a very to get me back into the series pretty fast

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think a blend of Metroid with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night elements would be interesting. There could be so many old upgrades that could return, as well as come up with new upgrades. Upgrades would behave slightly different from what we're used to, though. Think of different suits.

Barrier: Only 50% of total damage is received.
Gravity: Move freely in liquids; unhindered by gravitational manipulation.
Dark: Dark energy and dark matter attacks don't deal as much damage.
Light: Light energy attacks don't deal as much damage; teleport through light shafts.
Hazard: Only receive 25% of total damage; resistant to thermal conduction/convection; resistant to electricity; resistant to corrosives, such as acids/bases.
Mirror: Immune to energy beams, such as lasers.
Chrono: Immune to the effects of time, including temporal manipulation; pass through temporal portals.

That'd be some fun stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm kind of a late bloomer. I didn't start playing Metroid until Fusion came out for 3DS ambassadors.

My mom got me Metroid Prime Trilogy when I turned 17, and that was addicting for me. I WOULD say I'd like to see Metroid Prime 4, but at the same time I have my doubts about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After John Cena and the other celebrities who have been promoting the latest Nintendo products, I've been wondering which celeb would fit the best to promote a new Metroid game...

And then I remembered there's Hugh Laurie.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Metroid's gotten the raw treatment lately with Other M and FedEx Force. I hope the series gets some love on the switch.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I posted this little write-up elsewhere regarding a video I watched which spoke of whether Nintendo should make the next Metroid game like BotW or not...but I figured I'd share it here to see what other people's thoughts would be on the matter...
Metroid's in a bit of a "Goldilocks" position...

It needs to be just right in that it's not too safe in that it's just another 'Metroid Prime' and 'Super Metroid' of course I feel this is the lesser of two evils since it is the safe option and would be fairly well received amoung the community but IMO would too safe as the series needs to grow as well...for example if AM2R, as great as the game is, if it was the exact same thing except as an official Nintendo developed title it would be very underwhelming in this day and age, by indie standards its frikking amazing but by Nintendo standards as far as the potential they could achieve with their resources it's ok...But at the same time it also needs to not venture too far away from what makes it a Metroid game to begin with much like what happened with both Other M and Federation Force with a greater focus on story and multiplayer respectively and a lot of 'Metroid' elements sort of suffered as a result leaving fans with more to be desired...

Thing about BotW, as a Metroid fan in addition to being a Zelda fan, is that I very much noticed how the game does borrow a lot from the Metroid series, specifically from both Metroid Prime and Super Metroid in how it handles story and progression as well as learning through conditioning as well as a focus on discovery and exploration for the most part...I think Metroid does need to go open-world and I feel the franchise can greatly benefit but to make it literally a Metroid version of BotW is not what the franchise needs...We need a game that has the elements and freedom of an open-world game but still give us those Metroidvania styled platforming and labyrinthian world to traverse...as well as giving Samus her full potential as a fighter and bounty hunter, as much as I love Metroid Prime, Samus was heavily nerfed for the first-person experience compared to how she is in the 2D games and we need a 3D game to really bring this out...Other M was on the right track in a sense but it did sort of muff up in a lot of places as well...

As an example for an open-world Metroid: imagine if Crateria was a huge open world with beautiful scenery and openness with things to discover while there are advanced cave systems leading to Brinstar, Norfair, Maridia, etc...now each area will have it's share of openness and vastness but there will be some more maze-like cave systems and dangers that we see in the 2D incarnation also, an area such as Crateria being more of an Overworld as it basically is in Super Metroid while the world expands into the other regions...a lot of these areas would give the player the freedom on how to approach progressing through the world, take the intended route or try to figure another way around it, seek out lore and hidden secrets to uncover the game's story or just bust your way through without a care, something like this would make for an interesting experience in an open-world game IMO...
TL;DR
Sort of yes and no...It needs to stand on it's own and not just come across as a Sci-Fi version of BotW but there's concepts from the game that can be introduced (in some cases reintroduced) to the Metroid series that could greatly benefit the franchise...

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Can't wait for the Metroid Prime Pinball series to make its triumphant return at this year's E3

Been playing some Federation Force.

Played 5 missions so far and enjoyed it. Enjoyed the demo way back when and loved blast ball, but for some reason the controls dont feel as natural as that time. Still really satisfying but not perfect like it used to be. So far no complaints other than being a tad easy.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Been playing some Federation Force.

Played 5 missions so far and enjoyed it. Enjoyed the demo way back when and loved blast ball, but for some reason the controls dont feel as natural as that time. Still really satisfying but not perfect like it used to be. So far no complaints other than being a tad easy.
If you're playing on your own you'll notice just how much the game tends to heavily lean towards multiplayer gameplay for some missions...some missions even feel unfair for a single player because of how they are designed, either that or they just feel long...

As is, its a decent game and it does have its moments overall...worst part about it, is that it had extremely high standards to live up to being the only "official" Metroid game in years, which it ultimately failed to meet...but as said its a pretty decent game and an even better multiplayer game...

If you're playing on your own you'll notice just how much the game tends to heavily lean towards multiplayer gameplay for some missions...some missions even feel unfair for a single player because of how they are designed, either that or they just feel long...

As is, its a decent game and it does have its moments overall...worst part about it, is that it had extremely high standards to live up to being the only "official" Metroid game in years, which it ultimately failed to meet...but as said its a pretty decent game and an even better multiplayer game...
Yeah im starting to see that.

Even without loe wolf mod on it's just. . .easy. Im thinking of doing the weird Ice Giant trapping mission then going to multiplayer just for kicks. Although I would be surprised if anyone is still playing :laugh:

D

Deleted member

...I cried. Literally.

I've never been felt alive like that before.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Not hyped. Need to see some game play first. Honestly, Nintendo could've stole the show with this but it was just an announcement.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
SAMUS RETURNS REMAKE CONFIRMED FOR 3DS!

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Prime 4 confirmed...

Metroid II remake....

Today is a good day!!!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
One question which now should get an answer tho:

Drawing's source
I've said it when it was revealed and I stand by the same premise...

The worst thing about Federation Force is its timing...the hate would've been heavily mitigated if we knew what we know now...
It probably would've been recieved similar to Triforce Heroes...

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Wow. Just...wow. TWO Metroid announcements?! Prime 4 AND a re-imagined Metroid II?! I've been waiting for the latter for a long time, now my wish has been granted. I've always thought Metroid II was good in concept, but just didn't have the hardware to back it up. The Lords of Shadow team is developing it, which is very unexpected but looks very solid based on what I've seen so far.

On the flip side, I'm highly excited to see the Prime series continue, being that it's my favorite thing to ever come out of Metroid. Hopefully Retro is at the helm for this one, since no one knows Prime better than them. Kinda sucks that it'll be a long wait for it.

Seems like Nintendo has decided to bring out the big guns today.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I really need to start playing the Metroid Prime games at some point before Prime 4 comes out.

Also looking forward to the Metroid II remake.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Metroid 2 was the first metroid game I played so looking forward to the remake. Though, I'm not sure how I feel with massive changes

Also, I would have preferred HD Pixel art rather than 3D but whatever

I was SO excited when I saw that space dust turn into the Screw attack/samus symbol.

Metroid remake i great too. . .speaking of

Im so happy that we are gettting a new Samus amiibo and the Metroid amiibo i've wanted since the announcement of amiibos.

The Samus design is way better than the one based off Other M I have and the posts is spectacular. One of my favorites. Both games are super high on my priority list.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Rewatching the Metroid II gameplay so I can get a better grasp of what's going on without actually freaking out...

Free-aiming is a good upgrade from the limited directions we have in the other 2D Metroids...

Melee Counter is something that I really wanted in a Metroid game...Samus needed the ability to bash her enemies away from her if they get too close...Also there's some of these attacks that are similar to the Lethal Strikes in Other M, we see demonstrated on some of the stronger Metroids in the game, but they're not nearly as exploitable as they were and they don't automatically kill...This is the kind of improvement to combat I wanted to see in Metroid...

Aeion abilities seem like they could add some greater depth to the combat in this game as well, such as Scan Pulse and Lightning Armour, based on the Inventory screen there may be a decent amount of upgrades available...But one thing I'm curious about is if the Speed Booster will be in the game, it wasn't in the original, and while DM64 added it into his fan-game, I wonder if the developers here will do the necessary redesigns for Metroid II to incorporate the Speed booster...

Teleport stations are in the game....TELEPORT STATIONS!! Which means less backtracking!

Trying to hear the music over the commentary but it sounds similar to how it does in the Primes....Me likey...some of it sounds liek it was pulled directly from the Primes such as item acquisition fanfares and the Metroid battle sounds similar to Prime 3's Metroid battle...The trailer had the Berserker Lord's theme playing throughout (which is fitting since that's a remix of Arachnus X from fusion, Arachnus of course originating in Metroid II)...Also Lower Norfair remixed for the fire area cuz why TF not?

Also...There's variety in the different areas...we don't have subtle differences in textures to tell us which area we are in instead we got full fledged environments...They look pretty damn good for a 3DS game...

Varia Suit redesign is looking sick! Other M suit was meh, def looked a lot better in Smash, but this redesign just looks great...it seems to incorporate aspects from all of her previous suits designs...Also from her death animation it appears she retains the same design for her Zero-suit in Other M...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My god the Prime 4 teaser already has more than a million views.

I guess I can't be too shocked since I've probably watched it myself about a dozen times but that's pretty crazy.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A video with Sakamoto was uploaded about Samus Returns...

I think its safe to say Sakamoto has regained trust with the fans with Samus Returns...

Its also cool that they brought former Castlevania developers on board for this game as well...I played the demo for Lord of Shadow on the 3DS and quite enjoyed what it offered, so I feel like they're going to do a good job with this game...

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

I think its safe to say Sakamoto has regained trust with the fans with Samus Returns...

Its also cool that they brought former Castlevania developers on board for this game as well...I played the demo for Lord of Shadow on the 3DS and quite enjoyed what it offered, so I feel like they're going to do a good job with this game...
I don't know if one game is enough to allow us to forgive him completely after that whole mess with Other M because you never know when devs start reverting to old habits, or at the very least get too ambitious with certain aspects of their series. But this looks like a good start so I'll give him that.

I've gotten the impression over the years that not many players care for the Lords of Shadow series. Sure it's not the best of what Castlevania has to offer but they were still enjoyable at times. I did like how they tried to employ elements from the Metroidvania style of games with Mirror of Fate, and you can see some of the influences from MoF in this one.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I don't know if one game is enough to allow us to forgive him completely after that whole mess with Other M because you never know when devs start reverting to old habits, or at the very least get too ambitious with certain aspects of their series. But this looks like a good start so I'll give him that.

I've gotten the impression over the years that not many players care for the Lords of Shadow series. Sure it's not the best of what Castlevania has to offer but they were still enjoyable at times. I did like how they tried to employ elements from the Metroidvania style of games with Mirror of Fate, and you can see some of the influences from MoF in this one.
Please...if people can get p'd off with him after one game, they forgive after one...so long as he got the message from fans about what he did wrong with the game or at least know not to take too many liberties with what makes the series begin with...

Also don't forget about his roles on Fusion, Zero Mission and most importantly Super Metroid...a lot of people seem to forget about this when speaking about Sakamoto and Other M...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah. Let's not hold a grudge when something this amazing is here.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord

Wait, does he have something to do with this game?

Last edited:
Top Bottom