• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zebes: Metroid General Thread

Favorite Metroid game

• Total voters

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Samus Returns is this week, right,

Just finished all my homework for the weekend ahead of schedule.

Tomorrow, im off to buy Samus returns and pick up my amiibo 2 pack. After volunteering and work im gonna have some funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. So excited to finally play this game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm about two hours into Samus Returns - I just got the Varia Suit and beat my first Beta Metroid. The game is tough but fun so far, and the Scan Pulse makes hunting for collectibles a much less frustrating process.

Alright, played some SR. Probably could have made more progress than I did (only 6 Metroid kills) but w/e.

Scan Pulse seems OP but I keep accidentally using it. :X Using the melee counter is really weird, because my first instinct is either "hit it harder" or "jump" every time, but usually the best option is counter intuitive of how metroid usually works. It takes some getting used to. BUT MAN IS COUNTERING A METROID AND BLASTING IT WITH MISSILES SATISFYING.

Also, added it to the poll.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess to quickly re-post my experience with MSR thus far before I get further along in Area 3...

So far I find it's pretty good, about how you'd expect. Not sure yet how replayable MSR will be for like speedrunning and such though, as it seems like quite a grind at first... Mostly due to the lack of variety in fights compared to other games in the series as some have pointed out, but that was a thing with the original Metroid II, so I feel I can't fault MSR for that, being a faithful reimagining and all.

Maybe when I become more a natural at it after the initial playthrough I'll see it in a different light. Played for a good chunk of yesterday but got burned out by the time I was in the midst of exploring Area 3 last night. Did plenty backtracking in between (which is to be expected of Metroid) when I was still figuring things out, though probably did more than I needed to that early. Will save most of the rest of the backtracking after I get a good bit more of the powerups, and hopefully I'll get the rest of the initial playthrough done sometime today or tomorrow.

Not sure yet where I would rank this among other games in the series, but it's pretty good and up there, even if I don't end up replaying it as much in the long run as Fusion and such. I don't know, will have to see... But yeah, it's still the return to form the series so desperately needed, and not gonna lie, the Aeion abilities have made me picture how remakes of Super and Fusion would be like now, with those awesome new mechanics introduced. :D
Speaking of the Aeion abilities, so far the Lightning Armor and Beam Burst have been my favorites. The former I thought would be obsolete once you got the Varia Suit, but glad I was wrong, and the rapid fire burst mode speaks for itself.

The Scan Pulse is kinda OP, yeah, but even with it I find figuring out where to go can sometimes be a challenge.

Oh, and like I was saying about the melee counter, it's a fine feature too but being expected to use it on like every enemy that instantly charges at you can sometimes mess with my flow of the game. :x

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
SR in-game time is 7.5 hours, real-time 10.2 hours for my first run. I got about 43%, only backtracked to get items once.

I think the game is very good, and is way more challenging than Zero Mission. It is easily the meatiest 2D Metroid game to date.
I like how the enemies are aggressive, it adds to the danger, but I can see the disliking of it. A greater focus on standard enemies forces a fundamentally different flow, same goes for the Melee counter. Having a map 24/7 is great, and I appreciate the variance between Metroids opposed to Metroid II. That being said, it will get same-y boss wise, so if you like the fights, you're golden. If not, then you'll find it rather boring,

Overall, I'm not sure how it stacks compared to Super/Fusion/Zero Mission at the moment, but it feels on par. Better combat, better sense of "Samus is really, really cool".

My biggest complaint (if you would even call it that) is the soundtrack. The themes themselves sound great, but the lack of melody means this game feels less atmospheric. Which is fitting in a way, given the source material. It's good, but I don't think it's great from that standpoint.

Definitely worth the buy though, that is certain.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, it's the repetition with the Metroid encounters (compared to the other games that generally have more a variety of bosses) that makes this feel more like a grind to me than it should, but like I said I can't fault MSR for that since the same was true with the original Metroid II. Still a solid game and the return of Metroid we deserve, despite any small gripes with it, and can safely say it feels on par with the other 2D's too, even if I don't know where to rank it among them.

Like I was saying in my initial post too, eventual remakes of Super Metroid and Fusion would oh so benefit from the Aeion abilities and other other cool mechanics introduced. I know Super and Fusion are perfectly playable and don't need remakes in the way the first two games did, but if nothing else and if they're still out of ideas for other 2D games at a certain point, I'd be open to remakes for them, since new Aeion abilities or other things would still make the experience feel fresh.

Of course, MSR has to meet sales expectations first for any kind of future 2D title to be made. If MSR somehow underperforms (despite the fanbases's efforts to make it successful), I think it would be fair for 2D Metroid to end there since it got a fair chance again. Likewise, Prime 4's sales will determine how viable 3D/1st person Metroid is to still produce.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Played some SR last night and I gotta say, it feels spot on. The controls are mapped perfectly in both normal and Morph Ball modes, though part of me wishes that you didn't have to hold down the button for the Spider Ball. Anyway, combat is a lot of fun, with the free aim allowing Samus to blast any enemy around her and the melee counter for knocking away anything that gets too close, with or without a successful counter. Though I am wondering if being able to shoot an Insta-Charge Beam after a counter makes it too strong. Sometimes I prefer to just riddle my targets with beams and missiles rather than wait to counter them.

The Aeion abilities make for a welcome addition to the series. They seem reminiscent of MP3's Hypermode mechanic. Not only are they useful in specific situations they can also be utilized in combat if things get too hectic, like when some extra punch is required or when a shield is needed.

And I like the fact that they scaled up the difficulty so most hits you take can actually be, depending on the enemy, quite punishing even with suit upgrades. It kinda forces you to read the enemies' patterns better, especially against the Metroids. Speaking of, I find myself primarily using the Ice Beam against them (it IS their weakness after all), from slowing down their movement to button mashing the crap out of them right after a melee counter (you don't have a limit on your fire rate so go nuts), and it doesn't eat up any of your missiles. Well, not that missile ammo is uncommon, enemies tend to drop them like candy.

Scan Pulse seems OP but I keep accidentally using it
I agree, revealing hidden expansions from the get-go when using this Aeion ability seems too easy. I think there should've been an upgrade that enhances the Scan Pulse's detection ability to include the hidden suit expansions at the very least.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Personally, I love RoS and don't find it grindy, so as I got towards the end I thought "oh, there are only 10 left? I could do more" (yes I'm weird).

I think this game proves a Super remake could be great. I think 2.5D has many advantages over pixel art, and out way the fact models age worse than sprites (assuming a comparable degree of quality, of course). Imagine fighting Kraid in 2.5D, with those small cutscenes. It would really give a fresh perspective on an old boss.

I found the aeion abilities surprisingly limited, which is good. I couldn't roflstomp enemies with reckless abandon. Heck, even the screw attack doesn't roflstomp every enemy, so I could never get careless. But yeah, the aeion abilities are useful, but not overbearing.

Sales expectations are likely low, post-Switch and being over 6 years old means the 3DS can't lift software like it used to. Not that Metroid (or most Nintendo IP's) sells enough to be constrained by that substantially. I think critical reception is really, really important. Nintendo needs to prove they can produce high-quality Metroid games again, and SR proves that well.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Before I even think about playing Samus Returns, I honestly kinda just want to finish Super Metroid on the Virtual Console first.

I've had the game for years and I've still yet to beat it. I'm sure I could've beaten it years ago if I wasn't so lazy, Maridia just kept causing me to want to take breaks from it, which of course often led to me forgetting to play the game altogether.

Might sound kinda odd, but I guess it's because SM is the only Metroid game I've ever played. I'd love to get more into the series, I just can't help but feel a need to finish what I started before diving further into the games.(at least as far as actually playing them goes....I do know plenty about the lore and all, I just haven't actually played many of the games themselves....).

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Before I even think about playing Samus Returns, I honestly kinda just want to finish Super Metroid on the Virtual Console first.

I've had the game for years and I've still yet to beat it. I'm sure I could've beaten it years ago if I wasn't so lazy, Maridia just kept causing me to want to take breaks from it, which of course often led to me forgetting to play the game altogether.

Might sound kinda odd, but I guess it's because SM is the only Metroid game I've ever played. I'd love to get more into the series, I just can't help but feel a need to finish what I started before diving further into the games.(at least as far as actually playing them goes....I do know plenty about the lore and all, I just haven't actually played many of the games themselves....).
Metroid isn't lore heavy, so playing them out of order is fine (besides, the first 3 games are over 20 years old minimum, so the plot isn't something you can really spoil). I would definitely recommend playing a different Metroid before SR. It's atypical of the normal 2D Metroid in some ways, and is much more challenging, which may or may not be a turnoff. I would recommend picking it up if you enjoyed other 2D games though.

D

Deleted member

I want this thing to come back in future Metroid games, such an awesome yet really challenging fight.

Though I have pity to the less experienced players who'll get stuck because of it.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Beware, late-game SR spoilers.
So, how many have 100% completion in SR? The Chozo memories are great, concisely explaining the events that transpired while the Chozo inhabited SR388. But here is what's interesting: the Chozo actually escape to the surface, the Metroids do not eradicate them like previously assumed. Ratherly, we see a ship descending, presumably responding to their distress call. However, the scene corrupts, revealing an 11th Chozo memory. We see the Chozo slaughtered, by another faction of Chozo, with their leader wielding an arm cannon, in front of an army. The scene is labeled "2d/10". This could be foreshadowing for Metroid 5, or something else that's new.

Also, the official SR manual has some interesting lore bits. Like this:

"The events that followed are lost to time. Theories of Metroids escaping and destroying the Chozo, and murmurs of infighting between the once-peaceful species, can be found throughout history books, but this is little more than speculation. No one knows what became of the brilliant race-not even the small pockets of Chozo still living today"

Further in the guide, it goes over every enemy, but two entries stand out:
"Autoad-These spider-like machines have the ability to emit an Aeion disruptor field. This raises the question: if these things were created to disrupt Aeion Abilities, were they made to combat intruders, or other Chozo?"

"Autrack-The most dangerous of the Chozo security units, the Autrack starts off in a harmless-looking ball, only to pop out and track anything except life-forms native to SR388. If you see an Autrack laser pointing at you, run or hide. A single shot from one of these machines is devastating, and destroying them is no easy feat."

Clearly the Chozo were concerned over non-native life-forms, it will be interesting to speculate on what these facts mean. I'm totally cool with evil Chozo though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, how many have 100% completion in SR? The Chozo memories are great, concisely explaining the events that transpired while the Chozo inhabited SR388. But here is what's interesting: the Chozo actually escape to the surface, the Metroids do not eradicate them like previously assumed. Ratherly, we see a ship descending, presumably responding to their distress call. However, the scene corrupts, revealing an 11th Chozo memory. We see the Chozo slaughtered, by another faction of Chozo, with their leader wielding an arm cannon, in front of an army. The scene is labeled "2d/10". This could be foreshadowing for Metroid 5, or something else that's new.

"The events that followed are lost to time. Theories of Metroids escaping and destroying the Chozo, and murmurs of infighting between the once-peaceful species, can be found throughout history books, but this is little more than speculation. No one knows what became of the brilliant race-not even the small pockets of Chozo still living today"

"Autoad-These spider-like machines have the ability to emit an Aeion disruptor field. This raises the question: if these things were created to disrupt Aeion Abilities, were they made to combat intruders, or other Chozo?"

"Autrack-The most dangerous of the Chozo security units, the Autrack starts off in a harmless-looking ball, only to pop out and track anything except life-forms native to SR388. If you see an Autrack laser pointing at you, run or hide. A single shot from one of these machines is devastating, and destroying them is no easy feat."

Clearly the Chozo were concerned over non-native life-forms, it will be interesting to speculate on what these facts mean. I'm totally cool with evil Chozo though.
This might also explain why some representations of the Chozos like the Torizo in Super attacked Samus throughout the timeline.

IronTed

Smash Ace

I checked GAF and got some more insight. In the beginning we see 3 prominent Chozo, presumably the leaders. The last slide shows 2 arguing, the 3rd may or may not be dead. Now, whether or not they were arguing over whose fault it was, their future, or whose turn it was to do laundry, the taller, younger looking one kills the other, as well as the other "stately" looking Chozo. So yeah, it wasn't random Chozo visiting who decided to kill them. And, those Chozo created the Metroids, so who knows what they ended up doing. I really hope we see them in a game though.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Mission accomplished: Found my 3DS! Time to go buy Samus Returns!
Btw, this game doesn't use Touch Controls, does it?

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Mission accomplished: Found my 3DS! Time to go buy Samus Returns!
Btw, this game doesn't use Touch Controls, does it?
Touch screen is necessary for switching beams, as well as switching between missile types. Beyond that, the rest is optional. Stuff like the map and its features, it's very convenient.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There's also a neat little trick to save time. Double tapping the center/lower touch screen while not paused will instantly turn you into Morph Ball.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
And done!

Clear Time: 15:14:45
Item Collection: 100%

I definitely wasn't rushing, did probably a lot more backtracking than I needed, but will work on getting those better times...Overall, Samus Returns is a damn good game! Would easily fall as my second favourite 2D entry behind Super Metroid!

I'll probably give my more in depth thoughts later...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
After I got to the Queen's location, went backtrack city with the collectables and am like 87%-ish now. Personally feel a lot more in debt to the teleporters in making the process more bearable, than the scan pulse. The latter I didn't have to use that much, though there were some trickier items I'll figure out how to get to later. The ones I went back for and got took hours as it was, so am burned out at the moment. Maybe I'll beat the Queen and the rest of the game first, and go back for the rest of the items later to see if I get a couple different endings.

Once I got more a hang of the game, it became a lot more fun. For instance I wasn't aware for awhile that you could shoot those electric orbs the Gamma Metroids drop on you, making many of the fights harder for me than they needed to be, but after that it was smooth sailing with the Zeta's, Omega's, and such.

In the original Metroid II I found the Zeta Metroids to be some of the most engaging encounters, but here, I don't know. Maybe the Omega's? Their new attacks and such made them quite fresh, and there were only a few you fought. Diggernaut was a pretty good fight too.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Random thought, but what if, in the next Smash game, Zamus is an unlockable fighter, and you get her by beating Classic mode as Samus really fast?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Really really hyped to see the commercial reception of the title~

I so hope it's such that Nintendo feels comfortable disclosing it sooner than later, that would only mean good things!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So by the end of my collectathon, I was missing just one power bomb expansion. It was somewhere in the Surface region of the planet, but wherever it was I couldn't get to it since getting back to the ship activates the final boss scene, so I just settled for 99%, ending at almost 18 hours.

Started vanilla Hard mode which I'll do at my own leisure. Suppose I'll also try to get Samus out of her armor post-credits via speed running on another file at some point after more experience, but apart from that, my impression on this game has skyrocketed from when I first started. Can agree it's up there with Super Metroid as one of the best 2D's, and I think it sets the bar higher for the series going forward into Prime 4. Would certainly love to see another game from MercurySteam. They have what it takes.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ Broken image, at least on my end.

edit: Good to see it's doing well! Better than I expected.

Last edited:
so metroid can run away into those green tunnels?

Im not sure if im supposed to find them somewhere else, do something in that arena, or find a new power, but it's annoying.

EDIT nvm. just chased one through 3 rooms

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Holy crap, just realized something. Endgame spoilers:
Remeber the "2d" I talked about? Well it is in a red color. 2d red. Or, more aptly, the next 2D Metroid is called Dread. Like, that's really cool. Keep in mind though, Dread as a name was supposedly dropped a few years into its "development" (or lack there of, who knows). So yeah, that has to be a hint at 5.

Here is context for UK placement. When Fusion launched, it debuted at 16th in the GBA chart, however, it launched in November, so it likely sold more. It stayed in the GBA top 20 until April, climbing up to 7th at multiple points.

Zero Mission launched in April of 2004, debuting at number 5, but by May it dropped out if the GBA top 20. It also never cracked the overall top 40 (top 40 only goes back to 2003, although I doubt Fusion made it, either).

SR at 8th is small in absolute terms, but the best 2D debut (rankwise) on record (only have data since Fusion). Mario Kart 7, at 2nd on 3DS chart, is 35th on the overall chart, so there is a big gap. Also, going by individual units (basically, counting multiplatform releases separately), 7th is positive.

But the US is the only market Metroid has ever had any true strength in. According to the amazon ranking (not sure if NA or just US) for video games SR was at 3, behind the PS gift cards. So it was the #1 game for a little while. That is very positive, even if it only represents a fraction of the market. It should easily top the 3DS charts for September NPD.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I have to say, Speedruns for Samus Returns will be quite interesting to watch....

I don't think they'll be quite as fast as previous 2D entries due to the meatier worlds (and lack of a speedbooster), but I can easily see the game possibly get under 2 hour runs, even for 100%....

IronTed

Smash Ace
I have to say, Speedruns for Samus Returns will be quite interesting to watch....

I don't think they'll be quite as fast as previous 2D entries due to the meatier worlds (and lack of a speedbooster), but I can easily see the game possibly get under 2 hour runs, even for 100%....
No way you get under 2 hours for 100%, even going by ingame time. You have 40 metroids, some of which even run away. Then other bosses that take a while as well. Now, an any% run is doable, as you can bypass stuff like Arachnus.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I don't know... Back in the day I loved doing 100% speedruns with like Fusion in one sitting (usually cracking under 2 hours), but that doesn't really seem viable for this game to me. Well, maybe if you know the paths enough without having to go around scan pulsing at all and not slipping up any, but that'd take crazy amount of practice and memorization, seems like.

Regardless, will focus solely on speedrunning (no 100%) on another file sometime after enough experience. In the meantime am getting well through vanilla Hard mode, while also trying to do better on time than the first run. Not sure if I'll ever manage to get the needed amiibo at this time, but for Fusion mode I can only imagine how annoying the Gamma Metroids are to deal with pre-super missiles...

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic/interview-super-metroid

I believe this is the first time we can see Kenji Yamamoto's face as well.
That's pretty cool. It's funny how Sakamoto basically confirms the whole Mother Brain fight is a gloried cutscene (not saying that it's bad). Also, that's a pretty large dev time for a SNES game (longer than Samus Returns in fact).

Also, I love how midway through Sakamoto basically advertised SR. Like, there wasn't even a segway. It's nice seeing them push the game

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
No way you get under 2 hours for 100%, even going by ingame time. You have 40 metroids, some of which even run away. Then other bosses that take a while as well. Now, an any% run is doable, as you can bypass stuff like Arachnus.
You'd be surprised what speedrunners are capable of...especially if there are any useful glitches found in the game...
I can also see the Power Bomb Boost be utilized quite efficiently in these runs...

Also most Metroids are just at the Alpha stage which can be killed very quickly, and those Metroids that do run away can be one cycled...

Also, Arachnus isn't optional btw, cuz you need Spring ball for certain puzzles...some puzzles are required to access some Metroids...
I don't know... Back in the day I loved doing 100% speedruns with like Fusion in one sitting (usually cracking under 2 hours), but that doesn't really seem viable for this game to me. Well, maybe if you know the paths enough without having to go around scan pulsing at all and not slipping up any, but that'd take crazy amount of practice and memorization, seems like.

Regardless, will focus solely on speedrunning (no 100%) on another file sometime after enough experience. In the meantime am getting well through vanilla Hard mode, while also trying to do better on time than the first run. Not sure if I'll ever manage to get the needed amiibo at this time, but for Fusion mode I can only imagine how annoying the Gamma Metroids are to deal with pre-super missiles...
Well speedrunning tends to be very reliant on memorization and frame optimization...It'll likely take a lot of time before a sub 2 hour run is met...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think I'm stuck.

I'm in Area 2 and need that last Metroid.

It's near the area where there are two fans going in opposite directions.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think I'm stuck.

I'm in Area 2 and need that last Metroid.

It's near the area where there are two fans going in opposite directions.
Did you fight Arachnus? You need the Spring ball to bypass those fans to bomb the blocks just above them...

at least that's the one I think you're talking about...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Did you fight Arachnus? You need the Spring ball to bypass those fans to bomb the blocks just above them...

at least that's the one I think you're talking about...
I have not fought him.

Where is he?

EDIT:

Found him.,

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
You'd be surprised what speedrunners are capable of...especially if there are any useful glitches found in the game...
I can also see the Power Bomb Boost be utilized quite efficiently in these runs...

Also most Metroids are just at the Alpha stage which can be killed very quickly, and those Metroids that do run away can be one cycled...

Also, Arachnus isn't optional btw, cuz you need Spring ball for certain puzzles...some puzzles are required to access some Metroids...

Well speedrunning tends to be very reliant on memorization and frame optimization...It'll likely take a lot of time before a sub 2 hour run is met...
But stuff like Zetas and Omegas bring the average way up though, esoecially when they decide to go into positions that basically make them invulnerable (Gammas can do it too). But, the runners can be on cycled? That would definitely help. Power bomb boost is something I did not consider though.

It definitely seems possible

Media Create: Samus Returns has sold about 30k first week in Japan. It's in line with Zero Mission, hopefully it'll have better legs (probably not).

Here are are lifetime sales numberse for every metroid in Japan. Please forigve me for mixing Famitsu with MC.
Everything is Famitsu unless otherwise noted
Metroid (FDS) 1.03 million (this is shipment data IIRC)
Metroid II (GMB)102,550 MC
Super Metroid (SFC) 508,698 MC
Fusion (GBA) 155,528
Zero Mission (GBA) 85,045
Famicom Mini 23 Metroid (GBA) 50,353
Metroid Other M (WII) 75,578

Metroid Prime (NGC) 78,384
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (NGC) 40,355
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (WII) 74,647
Metroid Prime Pinball (NDS) 15,541
Metroid Prime Hunters (NDS) 90,028
Wii NPT! Metroid Prime 20,607