• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-List Fight Club: a Platform Fighter for Obscure Characters!

Otoad64

Smash Lord
"Fire" Waluigi
1651606774827.png

Waluigi's banned from mainline Mario games, so he's never been able to use power-ups before. Because of this, Waluigi made his own costume to at least pretend to have fire powers. He wears it in battle in an attempt to trick his opponents into thinking he is stronger than he actually is.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Costume Name: Mr. L.
Costume Origin: Pocket All-Star Smash Bros. (Though also technically Super Paper Mario?)

1651607342538.png

Waluigi, well... he wants to be more popular. Wouldn't anyone? Well, turns out that some green doofus he knows managed to get a whole year dedicated to him. Even Morbius didn't get a whole year in the limelight. In an attempt to get his own five minutes of fame, Waluigi decided to craft together a green alt of his normal costume... but after being told by the legal system of the Mushroom Kingdom that he'd have to pay significant royalties to do so (money he didn't have,) he decided to turn his costume into an evil version of his own, to strike fear into the hearts of copyright lawyers everywhere! Ironically, purely by chance, he's still violating the copyright of Mr. L's original appearance. Oh well.

My idea for why this costume's main "villain" is copyright law comes from the costume's origin - that is, from a Chinese bootleg mobile game. You can't get much more "obscure" than non-official media played by about twelve people worldwide, can you?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
So, the Nintendo Taxi Service. Seems like not even Knee could figure out what to do with this thing. So I’ll handle it. I’m giving it some augmentations, but these are within the rules as these are things Waluigi could reasonably get his Hands on, and now the Taxi is essentially a Mario Kart now, being able to Glide, Go Underwater, and use Anti-Gravity. That’s it within reason, as anything else feels less like “it helps with the set”, and more like “this is a completely made up character”. So let’s go over the basics.

It’s a Car, Heaviest Character here by far even after being given a Mini Mushroom, and it’s the second fastest because MY GOD! Morbius was WAYYYYYYY Faster than I was expecting, easily faster than Sonic. Anyways back to the Taxi, it had the worst traction because Car, is a Fast Faller because Car, and has a Strafing Mechanic using Shield Special because Car. Yeah. Normals are interesting, consisting of Spins for Normals, Flips and Spins for Aerials, Bringing out the Glider occasionally for Upward Moves, and Smash Attacks basically making it a dog. With it jumping (it can control its wheels if it can jump I’m allowing it to Tackle) up like a Puppy would with its Playmates or begging for treats. The Grab has it just Run You Over, and it goes different directions. Pummel has it scrape you with its tires.

For Neutral Special, it revs up. It’s essentially Spin Dash, but invincible! It can be grabbed, but good luck without a Tether. Side Special is a Feint Dash. It’s a car it moves forwards. It can catch the opponent though and give them a ride, before throwing them since it’s a Taxi. That’s it. It’s Up Special has it catch an updraft with its Glider and Glide towards the Stage. It is just as garbage as it sounds. It’s Down Special is a Counter because if you’re a Car, just counter by running the opponent. As for the Final Smash, it grows back to its actual size briefly to run everyone over. It homes in on the opponents and tries to hit them. It goes for as many characters are in the match. This is the single dumbest Moveset I have ever done, and I don’t get the appeal, but I made it work I guess.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The American youth these days don't speak Greek like they did in 2000, and "gamma" has more negative connotations than ever before - thus Waluigi felt a modern change was due to market appeal to the changing kid culture - presenting...
1DD5BBC1-1FA7-49F3-A3E4-07D08FF2B266.jpeg

Waluigi with No Branding

Perfect for a post-male heirarchy generation, and every easy on the localisers.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Idea for the visual direction. What if everyone here pulled a PlayStation All-Stars and stayed in their original Art Styles? I mean, it would make sense here as maybe the Smashification process was too expensive for Waluigi and Morbius, so they decided to opt out of it. So, for example, Waluigi would just be the Assist Trophy Model, Morbius would be in a Realistic Art Style (think PS3 Uncharted for a comparison), and Six-Gun Gorilla could have worm out paper textures and a thick outline to match the original Six-Gun Gorilla Comics. As for the Taxi, I have no clue lmao. I mean, do we even have ANY proper photos of a Nintendo Taxi? I’m guessing it could match MK8 because of the augmentations I gave it? Who knows, but I think the idea of pulling a PlayStation All-Stars fits considering Waluigi is on a far lower budget than the Actual Smash Team.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
I haven’t seen Morbius but I still have some opinions

1. They should have shown more Matt Smith in the trailers
  2. They should not have put the post credits scene in the trailers
  3. People are Strange is a good song
I just thought this would be the most closely related thread I can put this on

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It’s been a week since the last post, so I’m going to do a moveset for Morbius because there’s nothing better to do.

So Morbius is fast, and by fast I mean FAST! Easily faster than Sonic levels of Fast. So fast that his dodges end up causing Witch Time if timed correctly. But Morbius is also powerful and has a healing factor, represented by his absurd damage and auto heal gimmick. But these all run on Blood. Yes, Morbius is a Vampire, and in order to be as broken as he is, he needs a large supply of blood. He can only gain blood by attacking everyone. He needs to use a physical attack to gain blood. This is what allows Morbius to be balanced as if you lose the blood, you lose the power. He loses 1% of blood every second, and starts out with 50%.

Neutral Special is Bat Vision. He essentially uses some Echolocation to target foes. It will then cause him to dash towards anyone in his range, which is dependent on his blood. From his Shield Size to most of Battlefield depending on how much Blood he has. This uses 15% Blood regardless of levels.

Side Special is Air Dash. This is a Marvel vs Capcom Reference where he dashes in the air. Hey, he can fly so this works for his Combo Game lol.

Morbius will do the infamous Train Glide for his Up Special. This is basically a Glide Move lol. That’s literally it.

He uses a Blood Counter for Down Special. If he hits he gains 50% Blood back. If he misses that’s a fourth of his total blood. If he loses all blood he will go insane and you will lose some control and have far more lag than usual.

His Final Smash is Mind Control. If it lands, whoever was hit walks into the Blastzone as Morbius gains full blood.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Ok, so here's the reason this thread died for longer than usual. I wanted to make a moveset for the taxi car, I never got around to it but i also never wanted o give up on the idea, so i entered stalemate. i guess it's time to call that quits lol. JOJONumber691 JOJONumber691 wins with their moveset.

Job #8 - submit a Morbius Moveset.

Jojo kind of forced this one on me lol, I was going to make it a bit of a running gag that Morbius didn't get a moveset submission round. make sure it's nice and Morby.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It seems like everyone has forgotten about this one lol. Would you mind if I continued the Thread in a New Thread?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I had actually been thinking of bringing this back, thanks for giving me an excuse to make a post. I'll try to do a new round tommorow.
Oh cool. Also, since Morbius' Moveset is still being submitted, I feel like rival character/main villain Milo would be a cool Echo. Sacrificing the Blood Gauge for a more well-rounded Play Style since, unlike Jared Leto, Milo is actually okay with murder and probably has a bunch of excess blood to pull from, unlike Morbius.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I wonder if KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 has any Moveset in mind for Morbius?
Well, it's not exactly likely to bring this thread back from the dead, but seems as I've finally come across it again (and by the way I am so sorry for vanishing, I think my notifications mustn't have been coming through), I may as well lay a flower.

So, Morbius. Given that the movesets suggested so far have had a few great concepts, I'd like to pull from them in certain aspects - and primarily focus on Morbius as he was portrayed in the film itself as opposed to using comic material. As much as aspects of his comic self (such as the winglets in his comic costume potentially leading to a great amount of potential with a gliding-based recovery move) would be fun to see, I think it'd make more sense for this moveset to be based entirely on the SPUMC material we've been given to work with. However, I suppose we could pull from both his and Milo's feats in the film itself, as well as exploring his abilities in ways that the film may not have done. With that in mind:

Morbius's main gameplay nature relies on an unusually heavy-hitting, fast-lightweight character. Whilst you'd think at first glance that he'd be a rushdown character skilled at building up combos, Morbius's toolkit is more focused on preparing for, and landing, heavy and powerful singular hits on opponents, meaning you have to have an element of planning to be able to effectively handle his general gameplan. In spite of his shockingly powerful hits, he's incredibly mobile - having a wall and even ceiling-crawling ability to allow traversal across almost all of the stage! Oh, and his "sprinting" animation has him lunge into a terrifyingly fast pouncing crawl of sorts.

Move InputMove NameDescription
Neutral SpecialVampiric BatsActing as Morbius's primary projectile, this has a small swarm of bats manifest around him - similarly to those seen in both the cave and his research facility. Said bats will remain swarmed around Morbius for as long as the button's held - however, they're relatively weak, meaning they can be taken out quite easily with only a hit or two. This does act as a weak shield - the bats will do flinching damage to opponents caught in them, though it lacks combo potential given that Morbius can't move during it.

The secondary effect is that when you let go of the button and hold a direction, the bats will fly in that direction as a pretty slow, but massive, "projectile" that excels in stage control. If you just tap the button, only a single bat will fly forward at high speed, however. Whilst the bats can clasp onto opponents similarly to Olimar's Pikmin, they don't do extra damage, and tend to stay with the swarm.
Side SpecialVampiric LungeMorbius's Side Special is an oppressive command grab with a shockingly quick startup that has him leap forward, ideally into an opponent. During the process of doing this, the wind-like effects seen whenever he manages to fly will take effect, boosting his forward momentum. When he actually hits an opponent, he grabs them and begins to slowly drain their health by biting into their necks - opponents can break free by mashing, but he can also tap the special/attack button again in order to toss opponents away. It's a threatening move that he can pull out really damn fast, but if you're able to keep your head, the high amounts of endlag will make it easy to counter.
Up SpecialWind-Powered PounceUtilising Morbius's extreme levels of speed when "windrunning", this essentially acts as your primary method of recovery - but also acts as a surprisingly powerful defensive tool. It's basically a teleport, similar to characters like Mewtwo and Palutena over in Smash - but it's notable in how quick it is, especially when used on the ground. Whilst it comes with the tradeoff of Morbius leaving the smoky trails behind him as opposed to simply "warping" invisibly, the intangible frames this gives makes it a powerful tool for mixups - though it can only be used once when airborne, even though it doesn't leave you helpless.
Down SpecialEcholocationThis is basically your traditional counter move, though more similar to Corrin's than anyone else's. Morbius enters a semi-defensive stance as "radar waves" appear around him in a short radius. If an opponent attacks inside said radius, he suddenly lets out a sonic shockwave similar to that used by Milo - a powerful attack that hits all around him. However, there's quite a bit of end-lag - so you're relying on the high level of knockback that this creates, given the surprisingly low damage.
Final SmashFeeding Upon Flesh.Morbius enters a similar stance to his Echolocation, but this time, it's much larger - bats surround him as he begins to levitate, and suddenly he dashes at extreme speed between every single opponent caught inside the resulting "field" of waves. Not only does this stun them, but it deals absolutely massive damage - despite low knockback. Ironically for a Final Smash, it's not likely to launch opponents away - but stunning them leaves them open for Morbius to finish the job if he wants, or control the stage a little more in his own way.

I did briefly consider having a literal "Morb Meter" of sorts, where you'd grow more powerful the less you get to hit your opponent - sort of like a rage/comeback mechanic - but as a starting roster character, I felt it'd be better to keep him somewhat simple and approachable whilst still being a bit... weird. So yeah there's this I hope it's... of interest?

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Well, it's not exactly likely to bring this thread back from the dead, but seems as I've finally come across it again (and by the way I am so sorry for vanishing, I think my notifications mustn't have been coming through), I may as well lay a flower.

So, Morbius. Given that the movesets suggested so far have had a few great concepts, I'd like to pull from them in certain aspects - and primarily focus on Morbius as he was portrayed in the film itself as opposed to using comic material. As much as aspects of his comic self (such as the winglets in his comic costume potentially leading to a great amount of potential with a gliding-based recovery move) would be fun to see, I think it'd make more sense for this moveset to be based entirely on the SPUMC material we've been given to work with. However, I suppose we could pull from both his and Milo's feats in the film itself, as well as exploring his abilities in ways that the film may not have done. With that in mind:

Morbius's main gameplay nature relies on an unusually heavy-hitting, fast-lightweight character. Whilst you'd think at first glance that he'd be a rushdown character skilled at building up combos, Morbius's toolkit is more focused on preparing for, and landing, heavy and powerful singular hits on opponents, meaning you have to have an element of planning to be able to effectively handle his general gameplan. In spite of his shockingly powerful hits, he's incredibly mobile - having a wall and even ceiling-crawling ability to allow traversal across almost all of the stage! Oh, and his "sprinting" animation has him lunge into a terrifyingly fast pouncing crawl of sorts.

Neutral SpecialVampiric BatsActing as Morbius's primary projectile, this has a small swarm of bats manifest around him - similarly to those seen in both the cave and his research facility. Said bats will remain swarmed around Morbius for as long as the button's held - however, they're relatively weak, meaning they can be taken out quite easily with only a hit or two. This does act as a weak shield - the bats will do flinching damage to opponents caught in them, though it lacks combo potential given that Morbius can't move during it.

The secondary effect is that when you let go of the button and hold a direction, the bats will fly in that direction as a pretty slow, but massive, "projectile" that excels in stage control. If you just tap the button, only a single bat will fly forward at high speed, however. Whilst the bats can clasp onto opponents similarly to Olimar's Pikmin, they don't do extra damage, and tend to stay with the swarm.
Side SpecialVampiric LungeMorbius's Side Special is an oppressive command grab with a shockingly quick startup that has him leap forward, ideally into an opponent. During the process of doing this, the wind-like effects seen whenever he manages to fly will take effect, boosting his forward momentum. When he actually hits an opponent, he grabs them and begins to slowly drain their health by biting into their necks - opponents can break free by mashing, but he can also tap the special/attack button again in order to toss opponents away. It's a threatening move that he can pull out really damn fast, but if you're able to keep your head, the high amounts of endlag will make it easy to counter.
Up SpecialWind-Powered PounceUtilising Morbius's extreme levels of speed when "windrunning", this essentially acts as your primary method of recovery - but also acts as a surprisingly powerful defensive tool. It's basically a teleport, similar to characters like Mewtwo and Palutena over in Smash - but it's notable in how quick it is, especially when used on the ground. Whilst it comes with the tradeoff of Morbius leaving the smoky trails behind him as opposed to simply "warping" invisibly, the intangible frames this gives makes it a powerful tool for mixups - though it can only be used once when airborne, even though it doesn't leave you helpless.
Down SpecialEcholocationThis is basically your traditional counter move, though more similar to Corrin's than anyone else's. Morbius enters a semi-defensive stance as "radar waves" appear around him in a short radius. If an opponent attacks inside said radius, he suddenly lets out a sonic shockwave similar to that used by Milo - a powerful attack that hits all around him. However, there's quite a bit of end-lag - so you're relying on the high level of knockback that this creates, given the surprisingly low damage.
Final SmashFeeding Upon Flesh.Morbius enters a similar stance to his Echolocation, but this time, it's much larger - bats surround him as he begins to levitate, and suddenly he dashes at extreme speed between every single opponent caught inside the resulting "field" of waves. Not only does this stun them, but it deals absolutely massive damage - despite low knockback. Ironically for a Final Smash, it's not likely to launch opponents away - but stunning them leaves them open for Morbius to finish the job if he wants, or control the stage a little more in his own way.

I did briefly consider having a literal "Morb Meter" of sorts, where you'd grow more powerful the less you get to hit your opponent - sort of like a rage/comeback mechanic - but as a starting roster character, I felt it'd be better to keep him somewhat simple and approachable whilst still being a bit... weird. So yeah there's this I hope it's... of interest?
It’s way better than mine lmao.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord

It's Morbin Time ... to bring the thread back

Top Bottom