• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-List Fight Club: a Platform Fighter for Obscure Characters!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Waluigi was fed up with not being in Super Smash Bros, and Morbius was fed up with not being recognized as the greatest movie of all time (#MorbiusSweep). They got together and decided they would make their own platform fighter! Unfortunately for them, as social outcasts, they can't get the biggest stars and must settle for the literal whos, the nobodies. This is Z-List Fight Club!

Roster:
1649984707319.png
Waluigi
Series: Mario
Copyright Holder: Nintendo

Moveset Potential: i'm just gonna copy the infinite moveset
1649984991882.png
Morbius
Series: Morbius/SPUMC
Copyright Holder: Marvel/Sony

Moveset Potential: Some Form of Bat Radar, fries, being from the #1 movie of all time
1650342470337.png
Six Gun Gorilla
Series: Six Gun Gorilla
Copyright Holder: Public Domain

Stages:
1649985634967.png
1650342676423.png
Manchester Theater (Real Life)

What's the role of this thread? That's simple, I want to give recognition to less known characters. Terms like "relevancy" or "significance" are of no use here, if anything the lesser known the better. This is a place to gush about characters nobody knows about, and to convincingly sell them to people. Characters with crazy moveset potential, that stand no chance of ever getting in Smash. Waluigi and Morbius are probably the upper limit of characters I want to add.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Job 1: Add a character.

What it says on the tin. I'm not going to be overly strict with the rules for this first round, but no Mario and Marvel because those two are already represented. If I think a character is too important, I'll veto it.

Note: This isn't supposed to be a thread for "haha stupid" characters like Big the Cat and Bubsy, so I strongly recommend not doing stuff like that, at least not exclusively

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So no funny z-listers, but nothing above a z-lister...honestly I like that! Gives us more of a niche to work with. Although, I do think it's a bit of a contradiction to include Morbius because haha funnie #morbiussweep and then say "no haha stupid characters".

JOB 1: Metalbeard (The Lego Movie)

Pretty minor character in both parts of the film series, but has a lot of potential in terms of moveset. He's a MasterBuilder, meaning he can build pretty much anything out of LEGOs with speed and precision. And he's a giant pirate robot mech, which speaks for itself.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think funnie characters should be allowed as long as they are doable outside of memes. Morbius certainly has that (From what I've seen of the trailers).
So no funny z-listers, but nothing above a z-lister...honestly I like that! Gives us more of a niche to work with. Although, I do think it's a bit of a contradiction to include Morbius because haha funnie #morbiussweep and then say "no haha stupid characters".

JOB 1: Metalbeard (The Lego Movie)

Pretty minor character in both parts of the film series, but has a lot of potential in terms of moveset. He's a MasterBuilder, meaning he can build pretty much anything out of LEGOs with speed and precision. And he's a giant pirate robot mech, which speaks for itself.
I just wanted to preface that i want a bit of variety. If I didn't mention it, I imagine that I would've gotten a ton of the big meme characters (Clippy, Morshu, Big Chungus, etc.). I don't mind those sorts of characters, and I fully expect to get some of them eventually. it's not a rock-hard rule, I just don't want this thread to solely be a "meme platform fighter". Plus, it could be argued that being such popular memes makes them famous, pulling them out of the "obscure" bubble.

AlRex

Smash Lord
1649988468847.jpeg

Sho’Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem from Berry Gordy’s the Last Dragon. The guy in red in the middle here. Basically, he wants to prove that he’s the best martial artist in town, better than the meditative Bruce Leeroy (in yellow here). Like Bruce Leeroy, he possesses the Power of the Glow, which is basically Ki before Dragon Ball or Street Fighter showed up. So I think he would be able to do martial arts that a Shogun could do, and some Kung-Fu, mixed with a more street-brawling style. He can shoot out energy waves and catch bullets with his teeth, as well, and he could even have his posse follow him around to, at the very least, hype him up.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Job 1: Add a character.

What it says on the tin. I'm not going to be overly strict with the rules for this first round, but no Mario and Marvel because those two are already represented. If I think a character is too important, I'll veto it.

Note: This isn't supposed to be a thread for "haha stupid" characters like Big the Cat and Bubsy, so I strongly recommend not doing stuff like that, at least not exclusively
Primarina (Pokémon)

4606197B-2E60-4BA4-B065-45DDD657783C.jpeg

She’s a Water Fairy Type Seal Mermaid thing that is my favorite Pokémon of all time, and one of my most wanted fighters for actual Smash. She’s not the most obscure character here, but I feel like her being overshadowed HARD by Decidueye and Incineroar, and even Popplio to some extent, justifies her inclusion on this Roster full of Z-Listers. As for a potential Ground Work? I think making her a majestic Rushdown Character who uses her unique build to her advantage to show off her grace as a Dancer Mermaid thing.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Primarina (Pokémon)

View attachment 350348

She’s a Water Fairy Type Seal Mermaid thing that is my favorite Pokémon of all time, and one of my most wanted fighters for actual Smash. She’s not the most obscure character here, but I feel like her being overshadowed HARD by Decidueye and Incineroar, and even Popplio to some extent, justifies her inclusion on this Roster full of Z-Listers. As for a potential Ground Work? I think making her a majestic Rushdown Character who uses her unique build to her advantage to show off her grace as a Dancer Mermaid thing.
I think Primarina is a touch too important. It's like a V-lister. Might I suggest Brionne instead?

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think Primarina is a touch too important. It's like a V-lister. Might I suggest Brionne instead?
Middle Evolutions are weird. If we ever have a dedicated Pokémon Category, then sure, but for now I have a different character I also want to give the spotlight if Primarina isn’t eligible.
Tsuji Aya (JOJO’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable)
897533D0-BB47-4628-8917-A12E40722003.jpeg

Talk about One Hit Wonder, am I right? Not even a Side Character in her own Part, as she was killed off far too soon to actually be eligible as a Side Character, at least for Part 4, Tsuji Aya is a Cosmetologist Character who was only important in one Arc before getting killed off immediately in the next arc by Kira. Yeah, this definitely qualifies as a Z-Lister. Especially considering how a lot of the Moveset needs to be innovated since she got so little screen/page time. But she does have a really good foundation, like Primarina. Imagine a character who is entirely focused on Debuffs in a Platform Fighter, using her Stand, Cinderella, to negatively affect the opponent, a very natural extension of her ability to alter Fate itself. Though to balance out her Debuffs she kinda has to be super weak without them, not having the best recovery, or kill power. Decent combo game and speed though, probably being the fastest character on the roster currently considering Waluigi and Jared Leto. Overall, she’s a plot device who stole the show when she was present, and since Primarina isn’t eligible, I might as well go for one of my favorite characters of all time.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 1:

Mike Jones (StarTropics)

DXztvWbXUAEZzW1.jpg

StarTropics was one of the many obscure Nintendo franchises not to be represented in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. However, here is where Mike Jones can get a chance to shine. He's got his yo-yo, baseball pitching skills, etc. He will put up a good fight against Waluigi and Morbius.

Baysha

Smash Ace
maxresdefault_1460749605.jpg

Vampire Girl and Hat Boy (I Want To Be Human)
Everything was going great for this lovely couple. That was until an evil megacorporation kidnapped them and turned the girl into a vampire and the boy into a hat. Now they have to blast their way through the various floors of said megacorporation in order to change back to humans.

And that is the story of I Want To Be Human, a solidly 4/10 game. The gameplay may not have been the best... or good most of the time. But the aesthetics are ****ing ON POINT. Look at them, it's like an Invader Zim-obsessed teenager from the early 2000's dream. I love it. The main theme for the game is also done by Jimmy Urine of Mindless Self Indulgence. I personally don't really know who they are but that's apparently a selling point so at least one other person must know them. The game is currently unavailable for purchase on Steam which I feel is kind of a shame. Even though I didn't like it that much, someone else could. And it's not like I didn't like anything. Why would I be submitting them here then?

For moveset potential, there's Vamp Girl's shotgun and blood drinking abilities. Along with Hat Boy's unique arms that can function as both regular grabs and special moves.

(I don't think Vampire Girl and Hat Boy are their actual names. It doesn't say so on the Steam page and I don't feel like re-installing it to check.)

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Job 1 - Buford (Phineas and Ferb)
1649996978212.png

Buford is a member of the supporting cast of Phineas and Ferb. I'd say he's a pretty obscure character seeing as he's not really one of the most important characters, and he would fight using a mix of classic bully tactics and more specific references to the show.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Job 1: CATS (Zero Wing)

lets have a main villain a very unexpected but surprising one its iconic villain in gaming that havent gotten a revival yet in this modern day of gaming.
moveset would based around explosion and summoning space monsters and using space weapons and being able to float.

Last edited:
Obscure character:
Vectorman (Vectorman, SEGA)

Role: Protagonist

Ah, Vectorman. The one of most forgotten SEGA Heroes that was created in 90's on SEGA Mega Drive.
Vectorman is a protagonist of self-titled series released by BlueSky Software and published by SEGA in 1995.
He is a green heroic orbot who cleans up Earth after humans left too much trash and toxic waste on big blue marble in 2049. While he was cleaning, Raster was watching him through PlanetCom cameras, but suddenly, a warhead got attached to his head by lesser orbot and he went rogue to destroy humans in time when they return from outer space.
When Vectorman heard about this, he goes on adventure to defeat the Evil Warhead Raster from destroying the world.
Vectorman also fought evil mutant insects and Evil Widow Queen.

Vectorman has moveset potential, since he can shoot Plasma balls, fly with jets under his legs and he could transform himself into a huge tank.

I nominate him, because he is one of Obscure sega characters and he is not so important to SEGA history. Besides that, many people don't know about him too much, so he could qualify as Z-list character.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Job #1:
Coleman Trebor (Star Wars)
070C0738-D739-4C78-B9DA-EA307C5BD8C0.jpeg

Coleman Trebor was a Vurk Jedi Master that served as a member of the Jedi Council in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones. He was one of the Jedi that joined Mace Windu to save Obi Wan at the Geonosis battle arena. During the Battle of Geonosis, Coleman Trebor decided to end the fight once and for all by taking out the separatist leader, Count Dooku by himself. When he did his Force leap up to the stands however, he was greeted by blaster fire by the famed bounty hunter, Jango Fett. Coleman Trebor defended himself the best he could, but ended up falling to his death. After the Battle of Geonosis, Trebor was done dirty by his fellow members of the Jedi Council, they never mentioned him after or honor his legacy as a Jedi. He was instead quickly replaced on the Jedi Council by Kit Fisto. He never even got to speak a single word in the film, that’s just cold.

Coleman Trebor is a Jedi Master, so he could use his lightsaber and the force to fight his opponents. He is known to jump very high into the air, thanks to the force. In Legends, he could beat most foes with or without a lightsaber, use force stealth, and used the Soresu style of lightsaber combat. Sadly, all the power he had going for himself in Legends was erased by Disney.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kite_Man11.png

Kite Man (DC Comics)

Batman has arguably the most well known cast of villains in all of fiction. Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler, Two Face, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy and many more. But a character with as long a history as Batman is due for some duds. Kite Man is a small time crook who's gimmick is that he flies around with a big kite. He has enjoyed se relevancey as of late due to his apperance in the Harley Quinn cartoon, but he's still an oddball choice.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Now this is something I can get behind!

Character Name: Six-Gun Gorilla
Character Origin: Wizard (1939, a 15-part serial.)

1650042268919.png

I think that at this point, any character from Marvel or DC is too well-known to get into a Z-list fighting game. Someone out there is the biggest fan of someone like Condiment King or Swarm. Someone is a huge fan of the Great Lakes Avengers. (That person is, of course, me.) No, if we want to open the door to obscure comic characters, we need to look at characters that haven't been relevant for years. Decades, even. Specifically the year 1939, from a British-exclusive comic series that's been dead for several decades.

Enter the Six-Gun Gorilla, a gorilla with the ability to load and fire a revolver. Real name "O'Neil," he was trained by a Coloradan prospector named Bart Masters, who treated the gorilla like a son. Teaching it to fetch firewood and the like wasn't enough though, so he decided to give a ****ing gorilla a handgun. After being murdered, O'Neil went on a quest for vengeance. This sounds like a bad anime, in the best possible way.

Overall, I mean... unlike the "beloved" Marvel character Gorilla-Man, O'Neil doesn't have human consciousness. He's literally just a gorilla with a revolver. And I think that the very concept of a gorilla tearing people apart and then shooting them with a pair of revolvers is just so ridiculous that it'd fit the vibe of a movie like this. Not only this, but he's seen some love in recent years - with him having fallen into the public domain in recent years, a couple of adaptations have had the Six-Gun Gorilla headlining them. As you can imagine, however, not to particularly high popularity.

If you want a Z-lister, a character that people would double-take at the very existance of, I think this is a good place to start.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Azrael (Super Smash Flash 2)
EF2ED238-767D-464C-8C5A-35FA9CBB4D7F.jpeg

“In the year 2750, Humans are being ravaged by an incredibly deadly virus spawned by an even deadlier alien race (The Karas). In an attempt to expose a path to salvation the world's top scientists have decided to create an Artificial Universe where it is manipulatable by a computer and can be watched at all times from any angle. They created their own Space and time continuum.

The program went out of control though, as the alien race subsided and receded into other planets the government continued the project for more research. Clearly the goal of the whole mission changed, profit with a capital P was the main objective thus scientists were ordered to cheat their own creation to create money for the real universe. Inside this "Program" dubbed UniverseV2 (all planets and places in this universe acquired the suffix V2) People who are a threat to the experiment have to be exterminated. This goes for people who figure out the experiment, those who gain manipulating abilities naturally (via glitches), and those who bring speculation that may lead to a leak. The Person who is Hired to Kill off these people without a Trace is injected with Nanobots capable of reading brain waves and using the commands sent by the brain to manipulate this virtual world created by the humans. Azrael is that Person.

Born inside of a country where war obliterated everyone in its path, including his parents, Karl Siriso luckily stumbles upon a secret laboratory and wasn't killed, but instead experimented on and equipped to kill. Because of his ability to manipulate the space and time of DimensionV2, Azrael has Inhuman abilities compared to the residents of EarthV2. Killing a Person is as easy as killing a fly, unless they can Manipulate Space and time just like him.”

So Azrael’s whole deal is that he’s a scrapped original character from Super Smash Flash 2 with a comedically in-depth and edgy backstory that’s basically just the plot of The Matrix. He was revealed alongside Sora and Goku as if everyone would already know who he was. He is hands down the greatest thing to come out of Super Smash Flash 2 and he isn’t even in the final game. Let’s finally give him a chance to shine in this game’s roster.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm pleasantly surprised at the turnout! We have a lot of nobodies, but only one will be freed from obscurity and join the fight club! Vote for your top three, your top vote can't be your own submission.

Rodrick (Diary of a Wimpy Kid)
Metalbeard (The Lego Movie)
Sho'nuff (the Last Dragon)
Tsuji Aya (Jojo)
Mike Jones (Startropics)
Chill Penguin (Mega Man X)
Vampire Girl and Hat Boy (I Want To Be Humab)
Buford (P&F Extended Universe)
CATS (Zerowing)
Vectorman (bible)
Coleman Trbor (Star Wars)
Kite Man (DC Comics)
Six-Gun Gorilla (Public Domain)
Smear Frame Superman (Animated DC Shows)
Azrael (Super Smash Flash 2)

Last edited:

Yiptap

Smash Lord
1. Buford (A bully-themed fighter seems really fun!)
2. Azrael (I know nothing about him, but it's such a creative and deep-cut choice that I have to vote for him)
3. Rodrick (exploded diper)
Voting was tough. Honorable mentions to Chill Penguin, Tsuji Aya, and Kite Man.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Six Gun Gorrila (I'm assuming KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 saw the same youtube video, where a guy mapped out a bargain bin cinematic universe. It was a good video, and Six Gun Gorilla was definitely a highlight)
Azrael (I knew a guy who was almost obsessed with him, in a good way. It would be nice to see Azrael get a chance to become big)
Vectorman (he's very polite)

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Also, suggestion. I think we should keep this Roster as a whole below 30. Because I don’t think Waluigi could afford more first off, and more importantly, so this thread can stay alive long enough to be completed. I’ve seen too many threads due from being too large with the scale.

Baysha

Smash Ace
Counter-suggestion: we could have the roster be a bit bigger, but add multiple characters each job. This way we'd have both a bigger roster and slightly more obscure characters represented. It'd be kinda weird to only have the most popular of the least popular characters represented. Maybe even we could do something wacky and add the character with the least votes. And no I'm not just saying this cause my character currently has no votes. Though that could cause some issues with trolling, so it'd understandable if we don't pursue that avenue.

Also slightly unrelated, but I'm not the biggest fan of Waluigi being a part of the base roster. He feels a lot more like he's the idea of an obscure character than an actual obscure character. Like, he may be unpopular in universe but definitely not out of universe. I know literally nothing about Morbius beyond #MorbiusSweep memes, so I have nothing to say about him. But this is your thread and not mine so you have the final say.

1. Azrael
2. Metal Beard
3. Kite Man (Sure he's a standard "haha wimpy man!" fodder but I think he's kinda funny)

Vampire Girl and Hat Boy (game of the same name)
I literally had the actual name of the game right next to them in parenthesis...

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Counter-suggestion: we could have the roster be a bit bigger, but add multiple characters each job. This way we'd have both a bigger roster and slightly more obscure characters represented. It'd be kinda weird to only have the most popular of the least popular characters represented. Maybe even we could do something wacky and add the character with the least votes. And no I'm not just saying this cause my character currently has no votes. Though that could cause some issues with trolling, so it'd understandable if we don't pursue that avenue.

Also slightly unrelated, but I'm not the biggest fan of Waluigi being a part of the base roster. He feels a lot more like he's the idea of an obscure character than an actual obscure character. Like, he may be unpopular in universe but definitely not out of universe. I know literally nothing about Morbius beyond #MorbiusSweep memes, so I have nothing to say about him. But this is your thread and not mine so you have the final say.

1. Azrael
2. Metal Beard
3. Kite Man (Sure he's a standard "haha wimpy man!" fodder but I think he's kinda funny)

I literally had the actual name of the game right next to them in parenthesis...
That could work, but at most I think a Z-Lister Roster should have 40 Characters not including Echoes.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yes, Waluigi is a lot more well known than everyone else here. That is intentional. He's a solid "M-tier" character that's fed up with not being allowed to hang with the A-Listers, and is instead allowing himself to be the mascot of the Z-listers. To feed his own ego, he has become the best of the worst. And Morbius was added partially to subtly tell everyone that non-Video Game characters are on the table (plus, while his movie is relevant now, he'll have faded back into obscurity in a few years time).

I fixed the title of your submission, by the way. I'll consider looking into a change in voting, but there are no tricks this time. We are adding one character, and it is the one with the most votes.

AlRex

Smash Lord
1. Six-Gun Gorilla
2. Vampire Girl and Hat Boy
3. Sho’Nuff

I feel like these stand out as being from media that themselves are relatively obscure, whereas Star Wars, DC, JJBA, etc. aren’t that. Granted, neither are Mario or Marvel, but I would like seeing more of the total out of nowhere odd characters for this.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
1. Six-Gun Gorilla
2. Vampire Girl and Hat Boy
3. Sho’Nuff

I feel like these stand out as being from media that itself is relatively obscure, whereas Star Wars, DC, JJBA, etc. aren’t that. Granted, neither are Mario or Marvel, but I would like seeing more of the total out of nowhere odd characters for this.
I don't want to get too in depth into future plans, but don't worry. There will be rounds where the focus is on adding characters from obscure series, as well as ones for obscure characters from popular series. We're going to be visiting every corner of the bottom of the barrel!

Top Bottom