• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yume got Dazzle for Christmas!! Aka. Critique my Snake

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
So here are some of my most recent Snake vids, all vs. King Dedede.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-kKHIGsmsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziiYc557kVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi5WQlsmqg4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWuxxGV3pjI

All feedbacks will be appreciated.

I give credits DaWall because he is a better player than me IMO, the only reason 3 of these vids shows me winning is because of me being a little ***** and only saving close matches/matches i won.

Also, I've noticed that we don't have an official critique thread like the other boards, if you guys want I can start one. I think I'll try to format it like the one on the Dedede boards so that the OP shows the matches and some critiques of them. So whos up for having an official critique thread?

Underload

Lazy
The critique thread would lack:

1. Good opinions, there's not a single active Snake who's notable in any sort of competitive play. All advice would be theory-crafting and single-layer advice from sub-par players that in the end will only serve to fill space and not give genuine help to the player in need.

2. Constant stream of new critiques and advice, because the Snake boards are one of the more dead character boards on SWF. You might get one every few weeks, until everyone's posted a critique. After that the thread will all but die. About a month ago, I posted a whole thread with about 20 matches of me, asking for advice on habits and mistakes. How many posts? 3 or so, none with any relevance to what I asked. That's just a preview of what an official critique thread would bring.

In short, no. I only watched match 3 of you vs. that Dedede, here's what I saw.

1. Stop spot dodging. If you spot dodge his first grab, and the Dedede player has reactions faster than a snail's, he'll just throw out another grab and punish your spotdodge. Roll back.

2. Stop being predictable in your recovery. You got utilted twice(?) in that match, because all you did was recover up high and hope for the best. B-reversal is the classic way to mix up Snake's recovery, but even the simplest things like airdodging correctly and buffering spotdodges / rolls are completely overlooked.

3. You're way to aggressive at times. It's either that, or you don't differentiate matchups enough. Dedede punishes aggressiveness with an easy 20%, and multiple times throughout the match you would rush in with dashgrabs, DACUSes, and dash -> shield -> ftilts, only to get punished, and embarassed. Actively think about what different matchups offer. For example, in the Dedede matchup, especially on FD, you cannot get caught without some sort of explosive to break grabs (grenade, mortar, mine), otherwise you're going to get punished multiple times for the same **** and cost yourself 20% per grab minimum, much more if the Dedede is decent at edgeguarding offstage (which that one really wasn't). Think patiently, clearly, and logically. The platform-less layout of FD gives you no safe haven to recover onto, so you pretty much have to rely on other tricks in the air. Half of the time you didn't even do that, you just kinda fell and hoped for the best. Newsflash, a good Dedede will get right past your wavebounced grenade with a grab at low percents, and an utilt at high percents. The examples I've just given are only meant to show the kind of mindset you should have mid-match.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but that's what I saw.

Nic64

Smash Lord
The critique thread would lack:

1. Good opinions, there's not a single active Snake who's notable in any sort of competitive play.
Me and syx **** scrub tourneys for cash, that's almost notable

Underload

Lazy
And I get 3rd place at Colorado tournies.

Trust me, that's not notable at all. The important thing isn't that you "**** scrubs for cash", it's that you're experienced with your character at high levels of tournament play and have the know-how to interpret matchups in a helpful way.

Nappy might be the one Snake consider notable competitively, and he got 9th place at the last Minnesota tourney with Luigi and Metaknight. Bad on 2 levels.

Underload

Lazy
This is exactly how my critique thread got derailed. Maybe you should post something worth reading for me, and more importantly, Yume :D

And why would you be sarcastic about something as random as that in the first place?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yeah I am playing really aggressively that match, idk why, I guess since its a friendly and everything and we played alot of matches already i wanted to make it a bit moar fun and a bit less gay lol.

And I usually don't get hit by utilts that much on landing, I need to air dodge better...

And yeah, I love to spotdoge, I should get rid of that habit...

I can see why you guys wouldn't want an official critque thread, we are missing an active pro on this board.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I only watched the first match, somethings to keep in mind.

-You cut your recovery short a lot, but when recovering you want as much space to be reversal around as possible.

-On that note, you should go to your highest point on your cypher at times too, pay attention to D3's jump count, because his jumps deflate in height as he uses them.

-You can put a claymore on platform, and d3 will hit his head if chaingrabs you under it, but also he can throw you into it. YI's platform might be a different case, but I know halberd and battlefield work.

-While on the ledge, rolling has never worked for me against anyone. For serious. Because they see you get up and just stop whatever they're doing and turn around. In D3's case he'll chaingrab you across the stage again.

-Also toward the end you waited for D3 to land and he airdodged your utilt. Work on autocancelling your UAir into UTilt, and that'll ****.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Maybe you should post something worth reading for me, and more importantly, Yume :D
Unless someone is a complete scrub and clearly doing stuff horrendously wrong, which yume definitely is not, I'm not good at video review, I generally need to play someone in order to give them any good advice, not particularly experienced at the DDD matchup either, being an MK player I have no real need to play my secondaries worst MU.

I just felt like poking fun at the notion that you need top players input for this to be a viable thread when I haven't really seen that occur in any other video threads, I don't necessarily see the two as related anyway, some people are amazing but can't explain anything at all.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Yeah I've played them before, they're way better than me.

I played a few tourneys here, I suck though, my highest so far is 7th.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Dawall has never played me in a set. Ever. I think I played him in one friendly that I was fooling around in. So plz stop saying that he beats our Snakes consistently.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
lol sorry I know you and Fatal are great players, as you're both ranked highly in NE. I just want to give my friend some hype thats all, sorry if you take any offense to it. :laugh:

napZzz

Smash Hero
And I get 3rd place at Colorado tournies.

Trust me, that's not notable at all. The important thing isn't that you "**** scrubs for cash", it's that you're experienced with your character at high levels of tournament play and have the know-how to interpret matchups in a helpful way.

Nappy might be the one Snake consider notable competitively, and he got 9th place at the last Minnesota tourney with Luigi and Metaknight. Bad on 2 levels.
bad day, we all have them : )

months upon months of consistency and top 2 placings means idc either.

Anyways, I'll critique this later when I feel like watching the videos

I won a scrub tourney hard today as well I'm clearly the best yeah *****es!

His shield was low, I wanted a shieldbreak lul.
NO! lol

I guess you know what that means. Don't try to go for what you want to land, but go more for what is safe and likely to hit.

SH Dair like that when DDD and you were in both a neutral state is not good. SH Dair really should only be used like that when done OoS, or when you might predict them. Such as them rolling towards you as they try to get away from a nade.

A bit obvious, but there is my critiquing.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Sry, Yume...
haven't been able to get online lightly. I do this now.
Also, your lucky I know you I don't usually critique stuff....because it's boring, but I be nice....and do it this time. ;)

I'll edit this....
-When you throw out grenades...for some reason you don't cook them...try "cooking" them.
and....that's all I could really find that hasn't already been said.
Your a good Snake.

etecoon

Smash Hero
not doing a full critique as it would be redundant to other things already posted, but two things I noticed

you have a tendency of throwing a grenade and then immediately pulling another, this can leave you vulnerable to anyone who recognizes this pattern as there's both lag during the throwing animation and for pulling another nade before you can do anything. overall you did a good job mixing up between throws, rolling away, and nade walking though, I think I only saw you get punished for this once in the first vid

you run a lot, walking at DDD is a pretty solid approach because he has nothing other than grab that can't be shielded or dodged on reaction, so stay out of the grab range and if he does something like ftilt or toss a waddle dee, you can power shield and punish.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Thanks for all the advices everyone! ^.^

I'll be sure to take in everything and develope a better Snake overall.

Top Bottom