• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yugioh anyone?

Vyke

Smash Champion
Nowhere in the near future, though. They aren't getting rid of it, you just can't get do stupid **** like Chaos Sorcerer and get a guaranteed removal after getting bottomless'd.

nightkid

Smash Rookie
Nowhere in the near future, though. They aren't getting rid of it, you just can't get do stupid **** like Chaos Sorcerer and get a guaranteed removal after getting bottomless'd.
Stupid **** but I like the stupid **** it makes sense to me. I dont find priority stupid though. It just helps the player make their card not go to waste. Without priority it makes the game have less game changing moves. Without priority everything feels to me at least vanilla cards >.>

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Yep we'll eventually have a change to prority rules, while the OCG will have the changes implemented around March 19 or so.

I see an increase in the use of bottomless after the ruling goes into effect.

nightkid

Smash Rookie
I see an increase in the use of bottomless after the ruling goes into effect.[/QUOTE]

Don't people run two bottomless. I know I would especially with the new priority thing. Then again I was just wondering how you people reacted towards that stuff. It would make a good debate I think. Like for me I feel getting rid of priority is pretty silly but with the new ocg cards i guess makes sense.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Well what I was saying was, not too long ago some people were dropping bottomless from the main deck since it didn't do much against some of the top decks, not to mention solemn warning is just a much better card.

Just be glad they put book of moon to 1, would have been broken at 3 with the new priority ruling.

nightkid

Smash Rookie
I would of been more happy if book of moon was set to 2. As for solemn warning please that **** is gonna be limited and if it's not then that is a total joke it was just that good. Then again I rather have heavy storm back as opposed to having dark hole.

nightkid

Smash Rookie
Well since you questioned it I just took a quick scan look. Goyo is gone, cold wave is gone, mass driver is gone. Kalut, Dandy, Honest, BoM, Gateway all set at 1. I dont feel like talking about semi-limits. But in general I didn't bother looking at the banlist because this game is dumb enough. Solemn Warning is stupid and broken lol. Goyo wasnt that broken. Cold Wave gone are you serious they really dont want you to get rid of magic and trap cards lol. Dandy I could see that. Kalut and Honest I guess Konami is tired of seeing those respective arch-types I dont know. Gateway I don't feel like looking that up. So I guess the six samurai decks were decent I dont know. BoM I still rather have that at 2.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Six Sam decks are still going to be topping even with Gateway at one. Goyo was broke, 6 star/2800. Easy as **** to bring out, it was an out to a lot of stuff. Needed to go.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
His level wasn't the problem (actually, summon a lv6 and summon a lv8 are equally as easy). His effect is.

Well, I was thinking... with new priority rule, how much is Dark Strike Fighter still broken?

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Truthfully Brionac is a much bigger threat imo since you have the ability to bounce their field and push for game.

And DSF would most likely still be broken, or at least really good. The new priority ruling just says he can't get a guaranteed tribute for damage off before the opponent can respond with something.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Equally as easy depending on the deck, you mean. Imo I think more decks have access to level 6 synchro monsters where-as a lot of the other decks need to jump through hoops to get to 8, unless you run a 4 star tuner (Flamvell, Macro, etc. Exceptions being Plants ofc.)

His effect coupled with his attack were really the problem. And with Book going to 1, they had to hit Goyo too. At least all we really need to worry about is Brionac, yeah?

... Until Trishula. :(

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
I dont even play this game anymore and literally burst out laughing as i read trishula's effect

nightkid

Smash Rookie
I heard trishula is in duel terminal 4. But trishula is mad balanced @_@. Too bad it made infernities top tier with that loop they had but thats gone.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
zombie an fiend both suck ****, just play something good like GK, Dragunity, or some Chaos/Salvo deck.

Also finalark do you go to showtime sportscards? It's where all the good ygo players in Tucson play.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Fiends yea, but with zombies you need to find the right choices to be successful with the deck. I've seen a zombie build that look useable that I want to test out some time soon.

Vyke

Smash Champion
That's a great mentality to have. Play something that's good.

Or play to have fun, that can be sweet too.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
That's a great mentality to have. Play something that's good.

Or play to have fun, that can be sweet too.
Fun is subjective. I don't find losing with a terrible deck to be fun. I find using a good deck and outplaying my opponent to be fun.

I find that nearly everybody I have ever met who has quit yugioh and pokemon were casual players who got bored. Maybe if they actually used something that wasn't a ****ing cesspool of absolute trash they would enjoy the game a little more.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
That's always the hardest, trying to persuade a more casual player to try out a deck that has a better chance to win.

Either that or trying to convince uninformed people that a certain ruling works the way it does.........

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Used to play this in like 05-06. Had some stuff that was pretty good at the time like Lava Golem, The Creator, Exchange, Vampire Lord, Destiny Board, DM of Chaos, Cybernetic magician, Shinato King of a Higher Plane, Jinzo, Insect Queen, Blue Eyes Shining Dragon, and Thousand Eyes restrict. Probably useless now though.

I actually tried to sell my entire lot of over 600 cards off on ebay for about 30 bucks but no one bought it. Sucks. I spent so much on them back then.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Fun is subjective. I don't find losing with a terrible deck to be fun. I find using a good deck and outplaying my opponent to be fun.

I find that nearly everybody I have ever met who has quit yugioh and pokemon were casual players who got bored. Maybe if they actually used something that wasn't a ****ing cesspool of absolute trash they would enjoy the game a little more.
Of course it's subjective. Some people just enjoy the game by deck building and seeing how it works. No need to be a total ***, by the way.

finalark

SNORLAX
Of course it's subjective. Some people just enjoy the game by deck building and seeing how it works.
This is how I enjoy the game. I know that Zombie and Fiend aren't all that amazing but I like the play style.

Also finalark do you go to showtime sportscards? It's where all the good ygo players in Tucson play.
Wasn't there one of those in the Tucson Mall? I remember it getting shut down, where is it now? It would be nice to go into a card shop where everybody isn't masturbating to MTG 24/7.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion

It's actually people like you who made me quit.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
This is how I enjoy the game. I know that Zombie and Fiend aren't all that amazing but I like the play style.

Wasn't there one of those in the Tucson Mall? I remember it getting shut down, where is it now? It would be nice to go into a card shop where everybody isn't masturbating to MTG 24/7.
No, that was 2d Sports Cards. Showtime Sports cards was always infinitely better regarding prize pool, player-base, and tournament structure. James Little was an incompetent ******* who made up his own rules rather than listening to players who were better, and more experienced than he was, or even going online to check the judges handbook. Furthermore he was biased to his player base rather than being objective and neutral like a judge and a TO is SUPPOSED to be. He'd create bogus rulings, etc when the showtime players would go to his store whenever they had good prizes. The ironic thing is that we would end up winning anyways since the showtime player base was just that much better.

Showtime is on Speedway, just before Craycroft, directly across the street from JJs and the adult shop, and parallel to TD's. They have Yugioh on Wednesdays @ 3:00 PM, Saturdays @ 10:00 AM, and Sundays @ 1:00 PM.

@SnackAttack:

Good riddance. It's people like you who hog the good cards that better players could better put to use, and otherwise make competitive play boring when you come to our tournaments, question our morals, and try to shove yours down OUR throats

@Vyke:

I don't mind players like this. I myself dabble in alternative decks, but I still do my absolute best to make those alternative deck choices the best they can possibly be. I just up and dislike scrubs who go out of their way to make inferior card choices. It's one thing to experiment and keep things fresh, but it's another thing to remove dark hole, monster reborn, torrential tribute, MST, Bottomless Trap Hole, etc for infinitely inferior choices.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
@SnackAttack:

Good riddance. It's people like you who hog the good cards that better players could better put to use, and otherwise make competitive play boring when you come to our tournaments, question our morals, and try to shove yours down OUR throats
I did not see SnackAttack question your morals or try to tell you how to play the game anywhere in that post, just how he didn't like players with the attitude you have. In addition, if he is a player that uses a trash deck that "makes competitive play boring", aren't you at least happy wiht the free win? Or maybe you could attempt to help them get better/use a more viable deck?

And if you are a person with the attitude you're giving off, you can probably go find other players not as skilled who you can rip off for better cards. Doesn't sound like you'd have a problem doing so.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I did not see SnackAttack question your morals or try to tell you how to play the game anywhere in that post, just how he didn't like players with the attitude you have. In addition, if he is a player that uses a trash deck that "makes competitive play boring", aren't you at least happy wiht the free win? Or maybe you could attempt to help them get better/use a more viable deck?

And if you are a person with the attitude you're giving off, you can probably go find other players not as skilled who you can rip off for better cards. Doesn't sound like you'd have a problem doing so.
The free win isn't worth having my tie breakers ruined. Ties in swiss tournaments are based on the win percentage of the opponents you've played, among other things. Playing a trashkid using a god-awful deck is going to potentially ruin my standing in the later stages of the tournament as they start to lose more and more games.

The problem with players like him is when I attempt to help them improve, they don't take the advice. I could give them every reason in the world not to use card x, and they come back the next tournament without accepting any of the advice I had given them, and they question why they never do any better, and why the game gets progressively more boring for them!

I'm not the kind of person to rip someone off, either. I'm far too honest about it. When trading, I'm always going to do my best to make the trade as fair as possible for both parties, and if someone wants to trade their higher value card(s) for my low-value card(s), I'm going to explain to them that they aren't getting their money's worth. I've both made, and broken innumerable deals with that mindset throughout my career. On the one hand I've gotten good deals due to my honestly, but more often than not, the younger and more casual players have realized what they're interested just isn't worth it. It irritates me, because the player will never make good use of the card, but at least I'm honest about it.

@Beatstick:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMFG YOU'RE FUNNY.

You're welcome to show me the current top decks and try to prove your case, but I've been playing this game competitively a lot longer than you and know far more than you.

Life

Smash Hero
Ruby, I've been out of the loop for a few months but TT and BTH were relatively uncommon when I played (not totally absent, but I certainly wouldn't call them "staples"--although they certainly fit the bill at one point). I'd blame it on the priority thing but apparently that's not going into effect for a while.

I've been playing since Labyrinth of Nightmare (or at least, that's when I got my first cards--I was in elementary school at the time and played with older siblings' cards even before that) and I've kept up with competition since roughly POTD.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
trying to have a deck that is personal and unique to the owner is what many non-competitive players strive for, but when they fail to do any good and they feel forced to just play the metagame like everyone else, they quit. I always try to find my personal stamp in looking for flaws in the top players' decks. It doesn't happen all that often, but sometimes, you can find better strategies. After all, nobody's perfect.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Ruby, I've been out of the loop for a few months but TT and BTH were relatively uncommon when I played (not totally absent, but I certainly wouldn't call them "staples"--although they certainly fit the bill at one point). I'd blame it on the priority thing but apparently that's not going into effect for a while.

I've been playing since Labyrinth of Nightmare (or at least, that's when I got my first cards--I was in elementary school at the time and played with older siblings' cards even before that) and I've kept up with competition since roughly POTD.
TT has been staple since its release, back when you could run 3.

BTH has been staple since 2007!

I've played since before the USA 1st edition release of LoB. I quit momentarily during the release of FET, but got back in just after CRV, and have played ever since.

I did take another short break just after GK won the YCS last format.

also food for thought: I've been competitive SINCE LoB. Telling someone like me who has been at the top of the metagame since the game ****ing came out is just LAUGHABLE.

@Problem2:

This isn't something just casual players do: Competitive players do this as well. The difference is that we're trying to keep our decks tourney-viable, whilst keeping our personal flare AND reinvent the wheel, making innovative tech, and side-deck choices.

Only the very bad players just up and copy other decks. The good players like myself are the ones who will recognize what is going to be good during the JP spoilers, have already proxied and tested the decks out amongst our buddies and online, and have revamped and redone our choices long before the USA/EU releases. We're the players who will run the trend-setting decks before everybody else, and continue to modify and expand upon our ideas as time goes by.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
The free win isn't worth having my tie breakers ruined. Ties in swiss tournaments are based on the win percentage of the opponents you've played, among other things. Playing a trashkid using a god-awful deck is going to potentially ruin my standing in the later stages of the tournament as they start to lose more and more games.

The problem with players like him is when I attempt to help them improve, they don't take the advice. I could give them every reason in the world not to use card x, and they come back the next tournament without accepting any of the advice I had given them, and they question why they never do any better, and why the game gets progressively more boring for them!.
I know, winning against less skilled player doesn't help much. And I completely understand what you mean about trying to help someone improve. At a nearby store I go to sometimes (not the "locals" type store I visit, far worse.....) my friend and I have to deal with pretty much trash players/decks, and no matter how much we try to tell them, they won't get better (one refuses to use synchros and uses an e-hero deck that isn't "light/hero beat" while the other tries to use somewhat better decks but is just bad....).

I'm all for using mediocre/semi-unplayable archetypes etc., but it gets annoying when a person won't realize how to improve their deck despite help from others.

I'm not the kind of person to rip someone off, either. I'm far too honest about it. When trading, I'm always going to do my best to make the trade as fair as possible for both parties, and if someone wants to trade their higher value card(s) for my low-value card(s), I'm going to explain to them that they aren't getting their money's worth. I've both made, and broken innumerable deals with that mindset throughout my career. On the one hand I've gotten good deals due to my honestly, but more often than not, the younger and more casual players have realized what they're interested just isn't worth it. It irritates me, because the player will never make good use of the card, but at least I'm honest about it.
Ok this is my fault for assuming the type of person you generally were. I myself feel I'm usually the one to lose out on deals because I don't know the current values of cards sometimes in addition to not getting out and selling stuff (or just don't want to deal with "vendor" type people who buy/trade for half of a card's value. I pulled a necroface way back when it was going for $250 and declined an offer from someone to buy it for that at a local store because I thought I'd have a better chance on ebay (which I never set up). I also got 3 gateways at ycs philly for $10 value each but never got to sell them off before they were hit by the banlist. :(

Also I wouldn't say bth is staple for every deck atm. I mean, it doesn't hit some of the more top/popular decks currently such as chaos plants, imo monarchs (you bth but they can still get rid of your cards), sabers, plus when solemn warning is a far superior card why bother running bth? That is until the priority ruling is eliminated.

Dragunities. Anyone else expect them to be a large majority of the decks at ycs charlotte?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
BTH hits their synchros, chaos sorcerer, monarchs, gravekeepers, airbellum, cyber dragon, STUN monsters, etc.

BTH still hits far too many useful monsters to justify running it. Especially with priority being axed from the game.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
TT and BTH have always been good cards.
New priority change just made them much better.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
lol airbellum? Don't see him in most saber decks anymore. But yea I guess bth can still do some damage even before the no priority ruling really buffs it.

Top Bottom