• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You're doing it wrong!

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Man you guys are so bad at Marth. This STILL isn't melee. SH double forward air doesn't work anymore.

Here's some tips!

1) Forward air is now your 8th best move. Chill out with it, it does crappy damage and sets up poorly, and is really only good to get people away from you and poke them off the stage.
  • Stop trying to crush your enemies with 10 hits in a row. This isn't melee.
  • If you don't diminish it it does some decent knockback and is good for edgegaurding.
  • F-air to U-air and safety with a grab is good
  • F-air is best if you land with it to cancel its lag. Second best is fastfalling it and doing your DED. And worst of all is f-air to f-air to f-smash, and by that I mean f-air to getting hit in the face.
  • Stop trying to look cool and play smart.
2) Downsmash is a better KO move than forward smash. It fits in most situations that f-smash does, has a big tip, and is unlikely to be diminished even if you are a total scrub, and also is way better if you hit near the hit.
3) Down Tilt is your best poke bar none.
  • Safe
  • Great damage
  • ***** face against a wall
  • ***** shields
  • Makes people want to jump
  • Can lead to much better free hits when opponent tries dumb stuff.
4) Side-B like its your job. It has better range than your f-air comes out faster does more damage and knockback and has good timing mixups. Don't forget about up! Pop them up bait the airdodge with a u-air and then get a quick poke and continue.
5) Stop trying to f-smash people on platforms above you, unless you're a fan of getting kicked in the face or it'll poke their shield. God gave you a beastin up-tilt for a reason. Safety your up-tilt with jab.
6) For gods sake learn to grab. F-throw to u-smash is pretty buff.
7) People floating above you are never ever ever going to fall into your uptilt or upsmash, but they are more than willing to get mindgamed into other stuff.
8) In order to be a champion you have to up-b like a champion.
9) Neutral air isn't good per se, but the tip is powerful and people will run into it.

Have fun guys.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm just addicted to fair. Utilt and dtilt do pwn, but I'm garbage at implementing them. spamming side b is insanely fun. and im always afraid to up b kill because if i miss, I'm boned.

Smash Apprentice
Techno: Although d-smash is more likely to KO, it has less range (I think; I don't know off the top of my head) and is a little less safe, so it's best used as a punishing move. Furthermore, if they jump, your dead.

Side-b is a great move, but it can be punished pretty easily, certainly more so than a short-hopped fair. Camping out with a side-b is a little less effective.

I do agree with most of what you said though, like not trying to fair to fair to fsmash (wow, that's like 3 to's in 5 words!).

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Ummmm. Fair to f-smash is awesome at low percents, so why not use it? Its a free 30% damage (i think) if it connects with nice knockback. I agree with most of what you said but i think many marths already know not to fair spam if'n dey ain't noobish.

KaosKun

Smash Cadet
Most of the stuff is pretty obvious at this point...i think most people use the fair for spacing...i honestly use fair fair so people will look for it and i can get the to shield the first fair (not power shield) and then shieldbreaker the shield...i still don't know why most marths don't use different moves...oh well...they will need to learn...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I like this thread.

I was planning on making one like it.

I was gonna call it how to not be a Marth scrub.

But this title is fine.

KaosKun

Smash Cadet
I think someone should start adding to the list or create a thread with the different moves and how to use them...i still n00b, unless you want me to compile stuff already said, so i think someone else should do it =/...kind of like a guide so people don't constantly do the same things and won't ask the same questions...kind of like the one OBM put up for GaW...

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Ftilt is also a great defensive move, especially against larger characters. I find that if I save my fsmash and use side-b/ftilt/dtilt/etc. I can kill much easier due to diminishing returns. I find side-b one of the best alternative because of the moderately high damage it gives. I think fair is an important part of Marth's arsenal, but he has so many fantastic moves that it should not be abused (which it often is)>

∫unk

Smash Master
Man you guys are so bad at Marth.
You're dumb lol.

This STILL isn't melee. SH double forward air doesn't work anymore.
Actually, it's still pretty effective. Not as effective as melee for sure. And I don't think anyone with eyes thought this was Melee after playing the game for like 30 seconds.

Here's some tips!

1) Forward air is now your 8th best move. Chill out with it, it does crappy damage and sets up poorly, and is really only good to get people away from you and poke them off the stage.
Please list the first 7.

• Stop trying to crush your enemies with 10 hits in a row. This isn't melee.
  • If you don't diminish it it does some decent knockback and is good for edgegaurding.
  • F-air to U-air and safety with a grab is good
  • F-air is best if you land with it to cancel its lag. Second best is fastfalling it and doing your DED. And worst of all is f-air to f-air to f-smash, and by that I mean f-air to getting hit in the face.
  • Stop trying to look cool and play smart.
a) lol at mentioning this isn't Melee again. Thanks for the tip!
b) this reason is why most people use back air for edgeuguarding, because they know it will be fresh.
c) no you can get grabbed/punished in the middle of the up-air. some people use double f-air because it hits way farther in front of them so they can't get punished.
d) f-air f-air f-smash only works on noobs. f-air f-air with spacing works on everyone. actually i think we might be on the same page on this cause the second hit can really be anything its just pressuring with the first f-air that's key, after that its just adjusting your second attack to whatever they're doing/going to do and your spacing.
e) don't they have Metaknight for this? :)

2) Downsmash is a better KO move than forward smash. It fits in most situations that f-smash does, has a big tip, and is unlikely to be diminished even if you are a total scrub, and also is way better if you hit near the hit.
Agreed... but when you zone a lot f-smash can catch the opponent off guard. d-smash has slightly less range. But yes especially in the center of the stage there is no reason to be going for a f-smash.

3) Down Tilt is your best poke bar none.
  • Safe
  • Great damage
  • ***** face against a wall
  • ***** shields
  • Makes people want to jump
  • Can lead to much better free hits when opponent tries dumb stuff.
Obvious?

4) Side-B like its your job. It has better range than your f-air comes out faster does more damage and knockback and has good timing mixups. Don't forget about up! Pop them up bait the airdodge with a u-air and then get a quick poke and continue.
Dancing blade is really good... but you can't space with it. Once you commit you're going. Good opponents adjust to this quickly. And it doesn't have better range than your f-air, because you're in the middle of a jump with f-air which artificially gives it way more range than it should.

5) Stop trying to f-smash people on platforms above you, unless you're a fan of getting kicked in the face or it'll poke their shield. God gave you a beastin up-tilt for a reason. Safety your up-tilt with jab.
mmm.. this followed by up-air (usually airdodged) to f-air is too good.

6) For gods sake learn to grab. F-throw to u-smash is pretty buff.
...i doubt this but i'll try it later

7) People floating above you are never ever ever going to fall into your uptilt or upsmash, but they are more than willing to get mindgamed into other stuff.
Yes... I notice not just Marths but most people do this. 99% of players air dodge when they get in your jumping range, fearing the aerial. Just stand there and anticipate.

8) In order to be a champion you have to up-b like a champion.
QFT

9) Neutral air isn't good per se, but the tip is powerful and people will run into it.

Have fun guys.
x2

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yes, there are glaring mistakes in what he is saying.

Maybe I should make that thread?

The overall message is good, but some of his info is incorrect.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Ummmm. Fair to f-smash is awesome at low percents, so why not use it? Its a free 30% damage (i think) if it connects with nice knockback. I agree with most of what you said but i think many marths already know not to fair spam if'n dey ain't noobish.
Because if it doesn't connect its a free dash attack or whatever the other way, use your d-tilt! Faster, less lag, reasonable damage, kinda better follow-ups.

Vegas ***** your whole state! ****! But no seriously your post wasn't bad or wrong or anything I just have a woodie for talking smack.

Emblem Lord said:
Yes, there are glaring mistakes in what he is saying.

Maybe I should make that thread?

The overall message is good, but some of his info is incorrect.
Fire away.

Hazeon

Smash Rookie
Another tip...perfect the chain grab. It might only work on heavier characters, but if you do it right, you'll be in a great position. On a D3, try 4 cgs, and then f-throw and f-smash. You'll hit them with the tip, launching them off the stage and setting them up for a d-air. Best and quickest kill there is.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Because if it doesn't connect its a free dash attack or whatever the other way, use your d-tilt! Faster, less lag, reasonable damage, kinda better follow-ups.

Vegas ***** your whole state! ****! But no seriously your post wasn't bad or wrong or anything I just have a woodie for talking smack.

Fire away.
The benefits of a connecting f-throw to f-smash outweigh the risks of a measaly dash attack (even from Ike, wait, especially from Ike). Sure down tilt is a good mix up option but it doesn't make f-smash inferior. One is safer, one dishes out more damage, take your pick.

Daichi

Smash Cadet
Uhm... I'm Pretty sure short hop double fair still works... in fact i'm sure of it. It may not be as useful but it still works.

But anyways, who the ef are you to come in here and tell everyone who uses marth they are bad? Go troll halo3 forums or something.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Bleh.

Maybe I'll make the thread maybe not.

Believe it or not, but I'm EXTREMELY lazy.

Top Bottom