• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Smash Newcomer wants through the ages?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
For me, the speculation period is always the most fun part of a new Smash release(as well as the most stressful) and I thought I'd make a thread for us to look back at what our biggest desires have been through each game.

Feel free to showcase yours. Could be interesting to see how our tastes have evolved and altered through the different game releases!

Smash 64/Melee

YoshiandToad speculation 64.png

Whilst I wasn't part of the website during the Smash 64 scene(because the internet was still fairly new), I remember vivid schoolyard talks with my buddies who we hoped the Smash 64 unlockable characters were (aside from Luigi whom we had heard about).

Toad (and I suppose Wario) was a big part of my childhood since Wario's Woods was a game I was absolutely obsessed with. SMB2 was also Toad time for me, and I really hoped to see all the MK64 racers eventually be able to fight in Smash Bros. Still waiting. :s

Meowth I wanted as the villainous counterpart to Pikachu and Diddy Kong due to spending time with my friends and their obsession with DKC1+2.

The Toad rumour in Melee only sparked my desire to see him more, and it's about that time I joined the site. I've been here a while, yup, even if not very active for a large chunk of that.

Brawl

YoshiandToad speculation Brawl.png

After the initial trailer dropped and YES I GOT MY WARIO, I was feeling hopeful about my other wants. Snake being revealed instantly made me, and I expect literally everyone else on the planet, desire Sonic who was also rumoured in Melee. As soon as Diddy was revealed I also wanted Dixie Kong to complete the set of Kongs. Got Wario, Diddy and Sonic so Brawl was a big success!

Sm4sh

YoshiandToad speculation for.png

I returned to the website in and speculation really became big for me. I'd heavily got into Zelda since Brawl's release and with the upcoming Hyrule Warriors I was also heavily speculating on the Zelda cast at the same time. Same wants as before, but with Sonic in the only other third party I thought was big enough was Pac-Man. Splatoon seemed like a lot of fun so I leapt onto that one too, and I'd also started playing Kirby so Bandana Dee was added to my list of wants.

Duck Hunt Dog was the only 'retro' character I really wanted, and I managed to somehow obtain him in the same game I'd started supporting him.

Sm4sh DLC

YoshiandToad speculation for DLC.png

Toad was out, and Treasure Tracker was announced so the Captain came in. Hyrule Warriors had convinced me of Impa being the best option and Tropical Freeze cemented my want for Dixie.

Ultimate

YoshiandToad speculation Ultimate.png

Inkling being announced straight off the bat meant I got one of the characters I'd really wanted in Sm4sh in. Isabelle was the only other character I'd considered a lock. Was hoping Isaac and Chibi may get revivals if they got in, perhaps naively. Captain Toad became the defacto Toad for me to support as I adored Treasure Tracker and it made him pretty unique looking amongst his species.
Of course now I know that doesn't matter :ultpiranha: but I'll probably continue supporting the Captain more than regular Toad anyway.

I gave up on Meowth finally here too, accepting that the Pokemon company will only ever use Smash for latest promotion releases.
Impa will probably be likely dropped for next speculation period as I just don't see Sakurai adding any Zelda newcomers now. A shame, she's pretty great, but it feels like it was now or never.

Third party wise I did want Tails, Bomberman, Crash, Spyro and Rayman but with each additional third party it was feeling less 'special' to me so I focused on my Nintendo wants more.

Ultimate DLC

YoshiandToad speculation Ultimate DLC.png

Annnnd this is where I'm at now. With all my Nintendo wants possibly being discounted by the Spirits or being stage elements or mii outfits or assists or more than one of these things I'm reduced to the only two third parties I'd kinda like to see. Tails, Bomberman and Rayman would have been here too but again...spirits. Yeah, I know they may not deconfirm but I'm going to wait and see before getting excited again.

Of these two only Crash could really happen as Spyro was butchered in his Japanese release...so Crash or bust I guess!

What about you guys? How have your most desireds changed through the years?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Over the years my most wanted have slowly but surely been added, with the exception of Ultimate. I was a baby during 64 and wasn't old enough for the internet during Melee but early on the first two I always wanted to have in Smash were Sonic and Megaman. Because alongside Pokemon those were the only series I was really into during the melee days.

When Brawl was coming out I remember being into the idea of having Sonic, Megaman, Sora and Chibi Robo in the game in some way, of course when Sonic was announ ed that was the most excited I've ever been.

During 4 I kinda dropped the idea of Chibi robo, mostly due to his games being either **** or Japan only with only the first one being good but got extremely excited at Megaman, that direct was the first one I ever watched and it left and damn good first impression. At this point I had gotten into other series and wanted some of those characters in, like Shantae and Isaac. I got excited when Cloud was DLC because that was the closest to Sora I was gonna get.
With Ultimate I wanted Sora, Joker, Shantae, Shadow, Isaac, Shovel knight and others and with every new reveal I got less and less excited for the newcomers, with this set of newcomers honestly being my least favorite... Until Joker was announced as DLC and my hyped rivaled that of the Sonic announcement.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
These two knuckleheads have been my no. 1 for as long as I've been playing videogames:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Interesting topic...

I didn't know Smash before Melee, and I hadn't gotten into speculation until after Brawl's release. Realistically, my only wishes for Brawl were for Zelda and Mewtwo to return. Still, the Pokémon Trainer's announcement blew me away, and I really was surprised how much I liked Ike.

After Brawl's release, I started to think how much I'd have liked certain characters in, but it mainly focused on two:
  • Midna (Zelda: Twilight Princess)
  • Ivy (Soul Calibur)
Not that I'd really participated in active speculation - it was more of a "it would be cool if..." kind of thing.

After Sm4sh was announced was when I started to get harder into speculation. That was when I'd joined the boards, and I was really hooked by two major support threads. My wishlist there focused around the veterans...
  • Link remaining left-handed (Skyward Sword was the first game that made him a righty)
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf (Skyward Sword did not have Ganondorf, so I was afraid he'd be jettisoned for Ghirahim)
  • Pokémon Trainer
  • Mewtwo
As I got more involved with speculation, I also hoped for the newcomers:
  • Ridley
  • King K. Rool
  • Midna
I can't remember supporting too many characters then. I know I'd cooled off a lot on my third-party support, so I wasn't really considering them.

Sm4sh was a bit of a disappointment for me, as I'd lost some of my favorite vets, none of my most wanted newcomers made it, and they even cut some things I hadn't gone into speculation thinking about, but missed terribly (Zelda's transformation and Wolf). Also the release of Hyrule Warriors as a perfect love letter to the Zelda series made it even more clear how left out the Zelda representation felt in Smash (No Zelda side characters despite one offs from other series, the Zelda characters looked oddly off-model and were better in Brawl, Link and Toon Link didn't even have unique crowd chants, Ganondorf not getting a unique victory theme while Bowser and Dark Pit did)

For Sm4sh DLC era, I still supported Ridley, K.Rool, and Midna, along with returning Wolf and Squirtle, but none of that came to pass.

I didn't play too much with Sm4sh beyond Smash Run rounds. I'd left the boards for a while before the Ultimate announcement. When I got back in, I was right back to supporting:
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf
  • Mewtwo
  • Ridley
  • K. Rool
  • Ike
  • Pokémon Trainer
I was nervous about the constant murmurs of Ridley in leaks since I didn't want to be disappointed. But by that time, I had left behind a lot of my Nintendo elitism, and I supported a few other characters, some of whom who were also third party:
  • Dovahkiin (Skyrim)
  • Tails (Sonic)
  • Urbosa (Zelda)
  • Midna (Zelda)
Dovahkiin popped onto my list since I'd seen Skyrim's announcement on the Switch during the Switch trailer. It was actually a YouTube comment that said "Dovahkiin for Smash!" that got me to think of it. I loved Skyrim, and the more I thought about how it would work, the more I started to fall in love with the idea. Tails also was one I'm surprised I didn't support much before because Tails was always my favorite Sonic crew member and Sonic 2 was my first video game ever (I had it on Genesis). I'd kept up my support for Midna since before, but Urbosa was a new addition due to her amazing characterization in BotW.

I also had some minor support for Gardevoir, Daisy, and Waluigi, and I fully expected to see Isabelle, Ashley, and Takamaru join.

One thing that I'd thought leading up was that Link should stay mostly a conglomerate of Links and not just a BotW one, and therefore should also stay lefty. Unfortunately, I expected that change. I also hoped that Zelda (and by extension, the Trainer) would be put back together as there was now no 3DS to affect the transformations.

I was floored by the E3 announcements of 'Everyone is Here' and Daisy and Ridley's reveals. After that, it really kicked my hopes for K.Rool, Dovahkiin, Tails, and Urbosa into high gear. With K.Rool's entrance, I moved most of my wishes onto Dovahkiin and Tails.

While I'd still like to see a new Zelda character, I can deal without. My only real wishes for DLC at this point are the Dragonborn from Skyrim, and Tails from the Sonic franchise. Unfortunately, I realize both are long shots, especially since Tails has a Spirit and I'd prefer him as more of an echo since I know him best from Sonic 2. I can only really see him making it as DLC if they give us surprise echoes along with the Mii outfits or a second DLC pack. Dovahkiin, I know, has little support and there seems to be a bias against Western third parties. Still, either getting in would excite me more than Ridley or K.Rool did.

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
Just a quick run down of what I've wanted and what chance I think they have:

Gardevoir: Never going to happen
Daisy: MADE IT! Woo!
BandanaDee: Probably won't ever make it
Alucard: Not going to happen
Decidueye: We got Incineroar...
Dixie Kong: Probably not going to happen
Midna: NOPE
Tetra: No.
Krystal: Nooooope
Waluigi: Never going to happen

So... Yeah 1 got in and the rest I feel never will so... :/

NathanD

Smash Rookie
I only played 64 and melee till now so:

I always loved 4 x red mage in ff so gotta have that.

Judge from FFTA.

Ninja Gaiden's protagonist.

Any of the advanced wars commanders. Probably olof.

An assassin from fire emblem.

As a farmer who hated harvest moon I think a generic protaganst could be a better villager. side smash cows.

Toad ALWAYS suprised me because I would argue they are more iconic than even Luigi.

As a grown man: Duster from Mother 3 no comparison. Bring him to ultimate.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I've wanted Bandana Dee, Galacta Knight, and Magolor since 2011, which were still the Brawl days.
de Blob has also been a favorite of mine for a while.
Master Chief I've wanted since I first tried Halo so many years ago.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I didn't get into speculation until Smash 4 and even then I only had a few characters I sort of wanted being Toad, Pac-Man, Bandana Dee, Magolor, Prince Fluff, Bowser Jr, and Miis. I luckily got 3 of my wishes even though I don't really play them a lot lol.

For DLC I didn't really care to be honest I just thought it was cool to have some veterans come back but inside I knew I wanted Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer...

Everyone was back for Ultimate and I was really hyped. I was very happy to see Ridley and King K. Rool finally make it in too as I had always sort of felt they deserved it. This time I invested more into some specific characters mainly Bandana Dee which I continued to show huge support for as well as Lycanroc and Tap Trial Girl. None of these 3 happened unfortunatley but we have DLC and even though I have pretty much gave up on Lycanroc and Tap Trial Girl now I still think Bandana Dee has a shot. Also in November I started Golden Sun and Isaac quickly became my most wanted character despite him being an Assist Trophy and I will continue to support him for DLC.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Brawl:
  • Little Mac
  • Sonic
  • Squirtle
  • Mega Man
Had to wait on two of those, but it turned out alright.

4:
  • Dante
  • Bayonetta
  • Pac-Man
  • Plusle & Minun
  • Terry
This one, not so much. I wanted to see P&M happen after the "Pra_Mai" data found in Brawl, but obviously that couldn't happen if the 3DS killed the ICs. I didn't vote for Bayo on the ballot, so don't blame me for the death of competitive Smash 4.

Ultimate:
  • Doom Guy/Marine/Slayer
  • Mimikyu or Lycanroc
  • A Rhythm Heaven character
  • Isaac
I obviously got ****ed here.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Melee: I remember my mom picked the game up at Toy R US for my sisters. When I saw the cover of the game, it caught my attention because of the Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon characters on the cover and I decided to play the game with my sisters. When we started playing, I was hooked to the game.

It was the first time I was introduced to the Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, F-Zero, Mother/Earthbound, and Fire Emblem series and my mind was blown.

After playing the game for while, it hit me that there was one character I truly desired at that time and it was :mewtwomelee:. One night me and my sister were playing and before she decided to quit, I begged her to play one more match with me so she did. After the match was over, we were greeted with the Challenger Approaching sign and long and behold it was :mewtwomelee:. We freaked out and we were screaming off the top of our lungs and I'll never forget that day.

Brawl: I remember seeing the trophies of :metaknight:, King K. Rool, and Ridley back in Melee and thought how cool it would be if those characters were playable. That was the first time I ever saw them, and I learned about those characters and their games long before Brawl's release. I was happy to see :metaknight:, but I was little upset to not see K. Rool and Ridley in the roster and I was very upset that Mewtwo got cut.

Smash 4: I was still waiting for K. Rool and Ridley and Ridley ended up as a stage hazard so I gave up on him. :4mewtwo: was the first announced DLC character and I was very happy to see him return. The Smash Ballot came along and I voted for K. Rool and :4bayonetta:won, so I gave up on all hope for my most wanted characters.

Ultimate: E3 came along and I was excited to see all the veterans return. Sakurai surprises us with a newcomer announcement at the end and once I saw that bridge at the beginning of the trailer, I knew in my heart it was :ultridley: and I almost cried with joy.

The August 8th Direct cames and we see :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, :ultchrom:, and :ultdarksamus: along with a bunch of returning stages. Later on it appears Sakurai is about to close the Direct by saying ''Thank you all for watching!'' and I hear a shake, than again and I knew right then it was :ultkrool:. Once I saw :ultkrool: slap :ultkingdedede:, I was so excited that I almost had a heart attack. After 17 years I finally got :ultkrool: and :ultridley: and I was so satisfied that no other characters inclusions or non inclusions would bother me, I was at peace.

After seeing my most wanted characters getting in, than my next wants would be characters that would fill out the holes in the roster and make it feel complete to me like Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Porky, and Pig Ganon along with Goemon who is the main protagonist of my favorite franchise. Krystal is a Assist, Pig Ganon is a boss, and Dixie is a spirit which, I don't know where she stands for DLC. Banjo & Kazooie, Porky, and Goemon are still alive so I hope one, two, or all three will be some of those Season Pass DLC characters.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ultimate is the only game I had any real wants. Biggest ones were Isabelle, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee and a Persona character.

50%, not bad.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Ultimate was when I started really consider who I wanted, with Brawl and 4, I wasn't too serious about the characters that I would've liked to see, I basically just witnessed who would be added, and just rolled with it.

Brawl:
-Shadow the Hedgehog
-Mega Man

4:
-Inkling
-Crash Bandicoot
-Zero (Mega Man X)
-Fiora (Xenoblade)

Ultimate:
-Joker (Persona 5)
-Crash Bandicoot
-Zero (Mega Man X)
-Octoling
-Celica (Fire Emblem Echoes)

H0L0CENE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5048-8462-1228
I like what OP did so I'm stealing their layout :lol:

I found out about Smash right after Melee came out. I never owned a GameCube but my friend did, so I'd go over to his house and play all the time. I was 6 at the time so I was hardly into speculation or anything like that, but I remember saying to my friend right after we unlocked the whole roster how cool it would have been if Bomberman was in the game.

The first video game I ever played was Super Bomberman on that same friend's dad's SNES. It's been 13 years since then and I still haven't given up on fighting as Bomberman. I probably wouldn't even be in this community right now had Super Bomberman not introduced me to gaming. Seeing him in Ultimate at all made me way more emotional than it had any right to.

Going into Brawl, I started to get a little more invested in the community, especially the pre-game hype. Again I knew I wouldn't own the game myself because I never owned a Wii, but my friend was pulling through and planned on getting the game Day 1. I started lurking on forums seeing who other people were hoping to see. By the time the game came out there were 5 characters who I really wanted.

The Nintendo DS was the first gaming device I had ever owned. I played the hell out of Animal Crossing: Wild World and Rhythm Heaven. At that point I didn't really care which characters from those games got in. In my head I assumed the obvious choices were K.K. Slider and Karate Joe, but I was happy with any representation. One of the games I played early on was Wind Waker, because it was my friend's favorite game so he played it a little every time I went over. He really wanted to see that game get represented somehow (and he still mains Toon Link to this day). I always liked Tetra the best out of the characters in that game, plus I thought she'd be a lot of fun, so she's who I wanted. Sukapon, on the other hand, was I character I had no real attatchment to. I stumbled up on a Sukapon render on a Smash forum, this one I think. I had no clue who he was but I was instantly drawn in my the character design. I've been supporting him ever since (I only played Joy Mech Fight for the first time last year), and seeing him get in as an assist was pretty awesome considering how "literally who" he is.

By the time Smash 4 was on the horizon, I was old enough to be completely invested in the speculation cycle. That's when I started lurking here almost daily.

I still wanted all the same characters as before, with a few new additions. I was introduced to King K. Rool through Smashboards, which made me go back and play through the DKC games for the first time. I really saw the potential with him, and he's been high up on my list ever since. Similarly, Chibi-Robo was a character I had seen around the internet randomly. I never even really knew who he was or what he was from, I just saw images floating around. I came across the Chibi-Robo GameCube game at a local game store and instantly recognized the cover, and I knew I had to give it a go. To this day I think it's an underrated Nintendo classic, but that's beside the point. I've been a huge supporter of him from then on. Bandana Dee was another character I didn't really care for before, just because the only Kirby game I had ever played was Kirby's Epic Yarn, so I wasn't really familiar with him. But as I looked more into it, I was just surprised he wasn't in already. Still am. He seems like the most obvious first party rep left to be honest. And finally, Little Mac. I always liked his assist trophy in Brawl and went back and played Punch-Out Wii to learn more about his universe. I just fell in love with the entire series from that one game, and I'm still waiting on a revival for Switch.

Smash 4 DLC was a total unknown for me. I didn't really know who to expect, but a lot of my hopes stayed the same.

Villager and Little Mac were confirmed, which was incredible. It was the first time ever that a character I supported made it in the game, let alone two of them. Villager and Mac are still my two most played characters on Smash 4 (and both are in top 5 in Ultimate). The only addition I made was Sora. Kingdom Hearts has been my favorite gaming franchise for years, and with Cloud's confirmation, I figured anything was possible.

The Ultimate speculation cycle was when I first officially joined Smashboards. Now that I'm an adult, seeing the community in action pre-release was really something special. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there was never as much hype as there was for Ultimate, so being an active part of it has been amazing. Like before, my wants stayed the exact same.

With the ballot on my mind, I assumed I'd get at least three of the characters I'd been wanting. Some combination of Bomberman, Chibi-Robo, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, or the Chorus Kids (who I've since come to choose as my #1 Rhythm Heaven rep). I knew the support was there from the ballot, so I guess I was a little let down that the only inclusion out of all 7 was K. Rool, but still, K. Rool as a fighter plus Bomberman and Sukapon assist trophies were absolutely unreal.

Now we're in DLC speculation. It's even more unknown than Smash 4's cycle but man I'm excited. Out of my 7 characters left, 6 of them have been deconfirmed either as an assist or a spirit.

Not only are Snake and Cloud back when I thought there'd be no chance we'd ever see either again, but the first fighter pack reveal was Joker from Persona 5. I never could have imagined he'd make it in, but it definitely opened the floodgates in terms of my third party hopes. Sora is still my biggest goal going forward, but I've been a fan of Ace Attorney and Professor Layton for a long time, so if either (or even better, both) of them gets in, I'll be ecstatic. A Dark Souls character has been on my top 5 "Characters who I REALLY want but never expect to see" list. After Solaire's amiibo and Bayonetta getting in despite the maturity in her game, I'm really hoping that Solaire is on the table.

Speaking of the other list though, I just want to shout them out real quick, so that way if by some miracle one of them gets in for DLC I can say I told you so.

It's probably pretty obvious why I'm not anticipating these characters, but I'm a huge fan of all of them. Earthworm Jim was one of the first games I played alongside Super Bomberman, as it was my friend's dad's favorite SNES game. I just think seeing him would be a hoot and a half, but because of his series' dormancy I doubt it'll happen. Cooking Mama was another DS game I adored, so seeing her would just be a nice nod to my childhood. Like I said earlier, Kirby's Epic Yarn was the first Kirby game I played, so I've always liked Prince Fluff. Considering he was a one-off character in a Wii game though, I'd be shocked if he ever made a comeback. Birdo would be cool to see as a member of the LGBT community, but her options seem limited. I'd assume she'd be a semi-clone/echo of Yoshi, but with DLC focused on new fighters there's no way a minor Mario character is getting in. Hector has the least reasoning out of all these, I just think it'd be cool to have a Fire Emblem character who doesn't use a sword.

That has to be the longest post I've ever typed, but I like this topic so I went all in.

TL;DR - Bomberman, Chibi-Robo, King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Chorus Kids, Villager, Little Mac, Sukapon, Tetra, and Sora. Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and Solaire would be cool too.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Interesting topic.

64/Melee: N/A, was only a toddler.

Brawl: Hard to say, I was 8-10 years old around the time of the Dojo so I was aware of the concept of speculationh possible newcomers but didn’t necessarily care who got in, was excited for so many of the newcomers already in so I was greatly satisfied.

I think the only characters I can remember wanting in Smash as a kid are :ultpacman: Waluigi, and literally every Sonic character lol.

Smash 4: Ok, this was when I begun speculation but not directly since I only lurked, begin my sophomore year around the time.

My wanted list pre-release if I can remember:
-Waluigi
-Bowser Jr with paintbrush
-King K. Rool
-Krystal
-Dixie Kong
-Impa
-Samurai Goroh
-Ridley
-Duck Hunt Dog as the WTF character
-Little Mac
-Palutena

4 of them managed to happen but I remember hating most of the newcomer line-up because almost none of the characters met my specific desires so I had a bit of a hissy for about it, and the ESRB leak didn’t help either lol.

Smash 4 DLC:
At that point in time, I loathed the roster so I just didn’t care about newcomers anymore so I merely voted for unlikely characters out of personal interest.

Tails and Cranky Kong I can remember voting for in the Ballot.

Ultimate: At that time, I’ve officially joined Smashboards and took full force on speculation and stuck back to my personal wishlist again pre-E3.

-Ridley (confirmed)
-K.Rool (confirmed)
-Simon (confirmed)
-Krystal (deconfirmed)
-Waluigi (deconfirmed)
-Spring-Man (deconfirmed)
-Dixie
-Toad (deconfirmed)
-Goroh (deconfirmed)
-Isaac (deconfirmed
-Meowth (deconfirmed)

etc etc, after Everyone Is Here and Sakurai stating not to expect too many newcomers, I limited it down to those I thought had a chance.

Post August Direct/Echo Fighter reveal

-Banjo Kazooie
-Isaac
-Bandana Dee
-Shadow (E)
-Ken (E)
-Sora

After the mess that was the Grinch leak and disappointment of the November Direct, I tried to be a little hopeful with the Fighter’s Pass but prepared for the worst.

Ultimate DLC:
-Crash/Banjo
-Sora
-DQ hero
-Tekken fighter

LIL ELF

Best Smasher in North Pole
Switch FC
SW-6612-9831-3124
For Brawl :
-Diddy Kong
-Skull Kid
-Shadow
-Spider-Man (My friend told me his dad was working in Nintendo and Spider-Man was going to be in the game, yes i was a dumb 8 year old kid)
-Tails
-Mii's
-Lanky Kong
-Conker
(There was many more but these were my most wanted)

For smash 4 :
-Ghirarhim
-Waluigi
-Young Link (I wanted him to comeback)
-Shadow
-Ridley (Just for the meme)
-Skull Kid

For Ultimate
-Ghirarhim
-Waluigi
-Skull Kid
-Shy guy

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
For Melee (note: I didn’t actually participate in speculation, I merely fantasized about possibilities... though I wasn't particularly invested in these fantasies, so this isn't a very big list):
  1. Krystal
  2. Bowser Jr.
  3. Corsola
  4. Wario
  5. Honorable Mentions: Bomberman & Sonic (I didn't think third-party characters in Smash was possible until it actually happened. This was pre-Internet, so I had no knowledge of the plans for Sonic, Snake, and James Bond that had fallen through.)
  6. Dishonorable Mention: Goku (...Yes, I actually thought having Goku in Smash would be cool at one point. My idea for Goku's home stage was Snake Way, which would have been Big Blue without the cars, causing everybody to die. I was young and stupid back then... needless to say, I have not supported Goku for any future Smash games.)

For Brawl:
  1. Bomberman
  2. Krystal
  3. Bowser Jr.
  4. Vaati
  5. Sonic (I actually got this one, yay!)
  6. Blaziken
  7. Corsola
  8. Missing veterans: Mewtwo
  9. Honorable mentions: King K. Rool & Ridley (I was never heavily invested in wanting these characters; my main reason for wanting them was for the satisfaction of their diehard fans, rather than my own.)
  10. Dishonorable mention: Mega Man (In sharp contrast to K. Rool and Ridley, I was pretty nasty to Mega Man's fanbase during the Brawl speculation era, as I saw him as direct competition for the "third third-party slot", which I felt that Bomberman deserved more... yes, I was still young and stupid for seriously believing that "roster slots" are a thing. Yes, I ate crow for Smash 4 — Mega Man's one of my preferred characters to play as.)

For Smash 4:
  1. Bomberman
  2. Krystal
  3. Bowser Jr. (I actually got this one, yay! He turned out to be wildly different from what I had envisioned, but still, he actually made it!)
  4. Vaati
  5. Mii Wizard
  6. Moge-ko
  7. Corsola
  8. Dragonite
  9. Returning veterans: Mewtwo (got this one) & Snake
  10. Honorable Mentions: Ridley, K. Rool, Zoroark, Blaziken, & Sceptile
  11. Dishonorable Mention: Shulk (I had no clue what Xenoblade is, so my thought process when seeing Shulk listed on desired characters lists was "Why the hell do so many people want the Incredible Hulk in Smash, and why are they all misspelling his name?!")

For Ultimate, well, just look at my signature.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Literally the only two characters I’ve wanted since the original Super Smash Bros., Melee, Brawl, Wii U & Nintendo 3DS, and especially now with Ultimate and everyone returning. They should’ve been in ages ago, having so much personality and moveset potential to bring to Smash, and now they desperately need to be in just so they’re no longer a dead franchise and can hopefully be revitalized as they so rightfully deserve. Art by me ^^
7127E0AF-FCC2-4849-8D0B-E5850600C8B0.jpeg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Literally the only two characters I’ve wanted since the original Super Smash Bros., Melee, Brawl, Wii U & Nintendo 3DS, and especially now with Ultimate and everyone returning. They should’ve been in ages ago, having so much personality and moveset potential to bring to Smash, and now they desperately need to be in just so they’re no longer a dead franchise and can hopefully be revitalized as they so rightfully deserve. Art by me ^^
View attachment 185377
You are a good artist. I wish I could draw like that :)

D

Deleted member

To be honest, there were not any characters I wanted over the years. I do believe my most wanted for Brawl was :ultrosalina: but that is it. Aside from that, when we started speculating newcomers for Ultimate I only had one in mind: her name is Celica. Shikashi, most recently 2B has become my second most wanted. If she can be in Soulcalibur 6, why not Smash?

Sayonara :kirby:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I was pretty young by the time Brawl released so I wasn't too much into speculating at the time. Knowing my younger self I probably would've wanted Dry Bones or Bomberman in Smash since I thought Dry Bones was cool and Bomberman 64 (and BM 64 Hero) were some of my favorite childhood games. As for the other games:

Smash 4:
  • Ashley
  • Waluigi
  • Isabelle
  • Andy (Advance Wars)
  • Bomberman
  • Mona (WarioWare)
  • Shantae
Ultimate (in addition to the previously mentioned characters)
  • Celica
  • Decidueye
  • Tetra
  • Lyn
  • Kat & Ana
  • Princess Hilda
  • Terry Bogard
  • Kyo Kusanagi
  • Quote (Cave Story)

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
This seemed like a fun trip down memory lane, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

BRAWL
Back in the Brawl days, I was still in middle school so I wasn't super into speculation. I remember looking at the DOJO and being excited for the new game, but I didn't really care all that much about who was added. But if I were to look back at that time period, the characters I would've wanted back then probably looked like this:

Yea, that's indeed Master Hand, and yes I did want him to be legitimately playable at one point. It was a simpler time...

SMASH 4
Fast forward to Smash 4 speculation, where I was transitioning from high school to college. At this point, I had become a pretty big gamer, so I was super invested in the speculation cycle this time around. I remember Smash 4's speculation feeling much different then Ultimate's, probably because it was like 2 years long. I was still pretty open to whoever they decided to add, but there were still a few characters I was hoping to see. I also joined this site during this time, so I was able to pull up some of the old messages to see who I was supporting, which helped jog my memory. They were:

I got 2 of those characters, but even still, they didn't gel with me as much as I thought. Bowser Jr. really didn't turn out the way I would've hoped, and Duck Hunt just ended up too gimmicky for me to really enjoy. I remember also thinking it'd be cool to see others like Little Mac, Shulk, and Palutena show up, but I never had any personal attachment to them so I wouldn't say I supported them. I guess in general, Smash 4's newcomers never really got me that hyped.

Smash 4's DLC is its own beast for me. Once the full roster was revealed, I kinda shifted interests. I still mainly pushed for Isaac, and now that Snake was seemingly out of the picture, I began supporting Simon Belmont as the new Konami rep. Lucas was also initially gone, so I began pulling for another Mother character to replace him: Porky. But these were the 5 characters I recall voting for on the ballot (though I also voted for Snake too):

ULTIMATE
So this is going off who I wanted after the very first reveal trailer:

I wasn't expecting much, but I was at least hoping I'd get one of my two most-wanteds (Isaac and Simon). And sure enough, I did indeed get Simon with Richter as an echo, so I ecstatic. Ken was always a pipe dream to me, but when echoes were announced, he suddenly went from "not a chance" to extremely likely." Then the Grinch leak came along and got my hopes up for both Isaac and Mach Rider, but let's not go down that road again...

And here we are at the final stretch: Ultimate DLC. As of right now, here's who I hope the remaining characters are:

Last edited:

Rosecross

Smash Rookie
I have been waiting for Tales Of character for a while. Had tiny bits of hope to see one in Brawl. It didn't happen. Then for SSB4, didn't happen either. I still hold hope we will get one one in Ultimate.

At first, I wanted Lloyd. I think the hype for Symphonia is long gone now, but I will take any other Tales character, even if it comes from Vesperia (Which is my least favorite game in the series).

I also wanted a Golden Sun character to be playable. Don't see it happening for a few decades sadly.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
When I was 10, I wanted Rayman so bad I would've sold my wrists for him.

Now I'm 22 and ditto.

Sadly seeing as he's been a trophy and now a spirit with no fanfare whatsoever, it's obvious that Nintendo does not see him as an exciting character that people would want. I've long written off his inclusion as simply impossible.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I started to get involved in Smash speculation after Brawl.

So for 4, I wanted these characters:
  • Robin: I expected a Fire Emblem Awakening character, and really wanted the avatar for being a mage, thinking that Chrom and Lucina would be too classic. I was thrilled when he got his announcement.
  • Shulk: Xenoblade became quickly one of my favorite games
  • Isaac: he didn't make it in, this time, so I was hoping for him in the DLC
For 4 DLC:
  • Isaac: he was the only character I really really wanted
For Ultimate:
  • Isaac: nothing new here, he is still by far my most wanted, and I was really glad to see a strong support for him. Too bad it wasn't enough.
  • Elma: yes, Elma more than Rex. I loved XCX, and I'm sure she would be way more interresting than him.
  • To a lesser extend, I also wanted Paper Mario, Phoenix Wright, Waluigi, Rayman, Advance Wars rep and Shantae. Alas, none of these got in...
For Ultimate DLC:
  • I still want all of the characters I wanted for base Ultimate, since none got in...
  • But, if we are considering that any current representation in the game lock out a character, only Phoenix Wright still have a chance.
  • I looked for more and further characters I could want, but none reach the level of the previous I mentionned. However, I would be glad to get Erdrick, Sora, Neku Sakuraba or even Steve.

kylexv

Smash Master
Smash 4:
Mewtwo
Ridley
Dixie
King K. Rool
Shovel Knight
Inkling

Ultimate:
Ridley
King K. Rool
A Gen 7 Pokemon
Geno
Skull Kid
Shadow

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I followed the Brawl hype decently closely as a ten-to-twelve year old (but obviously couldn't make a forum account lol). I wasn't well-versed in tons of Nintendo series at the time, but it was exciting to see Diddy Kong, Wario, Lucario, R.O.B., Pokémon Trainer, and Olimar (the last of whom I only knew from looking at the Pikmin and Pikmin 2 box arts enough at stores to be passingly familiar with him). When Sonic was announced I thought it'd be cool to see Crash and Pac-Man, but didn't find it too likely.

Post-Brawl I got into more franchises. Pre-Smash 4, I really wanted:

Little Mac, Chrom, Palutena, K. Rool, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rosalina, Crash, Waluigi, Starfy, and Muddy Mole.

I wasn't too vocal about my Rosalina, Crash, or Waluigi support because I felt they weren't likely (needless to say I was pleased when Rosalina was announced). In Smash 4 I ended up getting lots of characters I loved and wanted in the game (Little Mac, Palutena, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rosalina, and Greninja, who I never even considered but was blindsided by pure hype since he was my favorite Kalosian starter). The blow dealt to Chrom, however, left me really sad, though.

Smash 4 DLC was more of the same more or less, but with the addition of Henry Fleming from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

Ultimate had me add a few more characters onto my support list, while also kicking my support for Chrom and Crash into high gear. Celica, Captain Toad, Decidueye, Caeda, Merric, Simon, Chandelure, and Frogger joined the ranks of the characters I supported. Ended up finally getting Chrom, too, so that was amazing. Tears of joy, man.

With the addition of Chrom (as well as long-overdue additions like Inkling, Isabelle, Simon, and K. Rool), Ultimate truly lives up to its name for me. My condensed wishlist for the future pretty much just consists of the following:

Celica, Crash, Henry Fleming, Caeda, Waluigi, Starfy, Merric.

The Magnificent Seven, if you will. Pretty much all of them range from long shots to no-hopers, of course, but at least all of them except Crash (for obvious reasons) have spirits!

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
oooh a nostalgia trip throughout the years? Old man powers ACTIVATE!!

N64
so happy together~ Nope, no comment. I was too enthralled with the commercial and the thought of smacking the crud out of my brother and bestie with kirby to think about who was even in the game :starman:

Melee

Same as before really. Though when we saw the game out and started to unlock characters we were wondering who would be in the game...
Dumb me was hoping for a certain wooden puppet to be in for some odd reason...

gengen2.png ...ah to be young and stupid... we can dream
Brawl

Still was hoping for Geno... honestly it was him, Lloyd and Klonoa for my top three favorite characters following after them was Goemon (Ebisumaru, Yae, Sasuke tag along as 4 combo characters, not gonna happen but I can dream dammit) Then Sakurai had finished updating the website and really I dunno what I was thinking. The thought that there aren't many surprises in store with him sharing so much rubbed me the wrong way but I got over it. Still salty about Ganondorf not doing ganondorf things. When will his time come!?

Sm4sh/wiiU 3DS

I still held out for Geno, dropped Lloyd because that was the end of Symphonia's popularity (Symphonia 2 ruined it), and Klonoa can be the eternal dream traveler in his fans hearts cause his cabbit butt ain't gettin in anytime this century. Then like brawl, Sakurai shared and splurged the majority of the characters for the game out into the air. DLC kept my hops up though~

Kept my heart out there for Banjo, K Rool, and Issac fans as well.
Shaking my fist to the heavens over Ganondorf again

Ultimate

I would be lying if there wasn't a Geno sized hole in my heart, but he was the only character I wanted in and everyone else wanting their favorites also got me going.

I was satisfied thoroughly, Though. This roster is the best roster for obvious reasons. EVERYONE (except geno,isacc,banjo,skullkid,shadow,knuckles,klonoa,llyod,goemon and co., dixie,waluigi,real ganondorf Seriously Swords are cool but Damn you Daddy make him do Ganondorf things, Dat ganon boss tho, shantae, shovel knight and a partridge in a pear tree) is bloody here~

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Melee
King Dedede
Diddy Kong
Wario
Joanna Dark
Banjo-Kazooie
Pit

Brawl
Pit
Lucario
Wolf
Ike
King Dedede
Isaac

King K. Rool
Dark Samus
Chrom

Ultimate
Rex & Pyra
Decidueye
Dixie Kong

UserKev

Smash Champion
Lyn is the earliest I can remember since I got into the speculation scene by Brawl. I was on the Skull Kid train back then, to. By the ending points of Smash 4 speculation, I wanted Ridley in and suddenly Ghirahim.

Characters I can still see my self supporting with Ultimate's release: Cranky Kong, Doc Louis, Andross and Mimikyu. Scorpion and Crash. I will never lose interest supporting these characters.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Melee:
  1. Peach
  2. Bowser
  3. Zelda
  4. Mewtwo
Ended up getting them all soooooo

Brawl:
  1. Sonic
  2. Neku Sakuraba (TWEWY came out in 2007)
  3. Meta Knight
  4. King Dedede
3 outta 4 ain’t bad

3DS/WiiU (including DLC):
  1. Shulk
  2. Chrom
  3. Palutena
  4. Cloud
  5. Fiora (post-Robin and Lucina reveal)
  6. Snake returning
  7. Neku (still)
  8. Ice Climbers returning
  9. Dixie Kong
  10. Mewtwo returning
  11. Isaac
4 out of 11.

Ultimate:
  1. Snake returning (EVERYONE IS HERE!)
  2. Ice Climbers returning (see above)
  3. Fiora (she’s in Shulk’s final Smash right now but who’s to say they can’t pull a Chrom with her?)
  4. Chrom (confirmed and interestingly enough he’s still in Robin’s FS/victory screen)
  5. Joker (expected him later than sooner)
  6. Neku (season 2 hopeful at this point)
  7. Elma (Spirit; could become DLC)
  8. Black Shadow (see Elma)
  9. Bandana Dee (see Elma)
  10. Shantae (see Elma)
  11. Rayman (see Elma)
  12. Rex & Pyra (Rex is a Mii Costume; Pyra and Mythra are Spirits. Unlike Elma/Fiora I pretty much gave up on them)
  13. KOS-MOS
  14. Bravely series character (season 2 hopeful)
  15. Dante (deconfirmed by series producer)
  16. Dixie Kong (see Elma)
  17. Tales Of Series character
  18. ARMS rep (Spring Man is an AT and everyone else is a Spirit so gave up there too)
  19. Isaac (AT is back)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't really start having newcomer desires until Brawl was announced. My Sonic fandom was at an all time high then so I agreed to quite the high degree will all of the requests for him.

When Smash 4's base game was coming out though, I didn't really have any character requests like that. When DLC was happening for that game though, I hopped on board the Shantae Train pretty quickly. Nowadays there are a lot of characters that I would want do to finding them interesting or thinking they'd just be a good addition overall. Characters I'm hoping for on the level I would like to see Shantae are a step above that, and a rare step to boot.

Right now the only other characters to reach that level are Rex & Pyra, and Isaac. Though I'm still debating whether or not I'd consider Alttp Ganon to be up there now.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Top priority for me is and always has been major gaming icons outside of the Nintendo-owned pool. Particularly platforming mascots as those are just the games I played, and they seemed to fit in with Nintendo's abundance of them. Even outside platformers I was happy when Snake got in the game, despite having never played MGS, just because it was a breath of non-Nintendo. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and they're my favorite game company to this day, but getting Nintendo chars in Smash was just given. Outsiders were special.

:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman: were the big things I wanted since Melee. :ultryu: :ultsimon: :ultsnake: were still very cool because their games were pretty historically significant. Crash and Spyro were always big wants, and to a lesser degree the likes of Banjo, Jak, Ratchet, and Sly. Master Chief purely for rep purposes. I also wanted Rayman and Bomberman, but over time I realized there was only one game in each franchise I actually liked and wanted them to draw from, and they would undoubtedly draw from a lot more than that resulting in characters that wouldn't play like the versions I imagined. Same for Paper Mario--if they put him in, they'd draw **** from Sticker Star and just ruin him.

I couldn't care less about :ultbayonetta::ultjoker: personally but I'm happy for their fans that they made the cut.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
I technically started my speculation cycle with sm4sh but it was minor so I will just name that character and then go to ultimate speculation

Sm4sh
Bowser jr

Ultimate
Pre e3
Ridley, Decidueye

Post e3, pre August direct
Chrom

Post august direct, pre November direct
Bandana dee, dixie Kong, tails, slippy toad, captain toad, ken, master chief, sora

Post November direct, now
Doomguy, fe three houses rep

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Within 2015, I was rooting for Lugia and Fawful to be in the next game. After late 2015, when Minecraft arrived for the Wii U, I added Steve as one of my most wanted.

2017 however, I made a small list featuring the characters I wanted including

Fawful
King K.Rool
Lugia
Inkling
Ray-Man
Steve
Creature (E.V.O).

I also wanted Knuckles and Midna, but after E3, they will be saved for next game

My list became

Lugia
Fawful
Steve
Shadow, Dark Meta Knight, Dark Bowser and Dixie Kong (all Echoes)
Shantae
Incineroar
Ray-Man
Bandanna Dee
New F-Zero Rep
Skull Kid

As for DLC

Steve is one of my choices

My main supporting ones are Adeleine and either Sylux, Porky or Midbus

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Smash 64: Well, none. I didn't think it would become a series at the time!
Melee: Then I got Melee, so I had no pre-game wants again. I didn't really think about who I wanted once I got the games.
Brawl: :ultwolf::ultkrool::ultridley::ultkingdedede::ultdiddy:Dixie, Paper Mario, Black Shadow
Smash 4: :ultdoc:(return) :ultmewtwo:(return), :ultshulk::ultkrool::ultridley:, Dixie Kong, Black Shadow, Paper Mario, Phoenix Wright
Ultimate: :ultwolf:(return) :ultsnake:(return) :ulticeclimbers:(return), :ultkrool::ultridley:, Dixie Kong, Black Shadow, Phoenix Wright, Master Chief, Amaterasu

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Smash 64:
I was hoping that two of the '?' would turn out to be Diddy and Banjo. Apart from that, I didn't really specifically want anyone. I didn't really have a great Nintendo culture, too, I didn't even know who Samus and Fox were.

Melee:
I really wanted Mewtwo, and, again, Diddy and Banjo. Don't remember much else.

Brawl:
With Brawl, I got a lot of my wishes: :ultdiddy::ultike::ultolimar::ultsonic::ultmetaknight::ultwario:
But I was still missing: :ultridley::ultkrool:, :ultdarksamus:, Dixie, Toad, Boberman and Skull Kid.
This is the time I lost hope on Banjo, for obvious reasons.
Also, from here on out, Ridley, Dixie and K. Rool has been my top 3.

Smash 4:
My wishlist was still :ultridley:,:ultkrool:, Dixie, Toad, Bomberman, Skull Kid, :ultdarksamus:. I also had Porky as a pipe dream.
I didn't get anyone. Though I was also rooting for :ultpacman:,:ultlittlemac:, and kinda :ultvillager:.
Before he eventually got readded as DLC, though, my absolute most wanted was :ultlucas:

Ultimate:
I went into Ultimate with literally the same wishlist as Smash 4.
:ultridley:, :ultkrool:, Dixie, and then Toad, Bomberman, Skull Kid. With Porky and Banjo as pipe dreams.
Though, given how Smash 4 truned out, I was just hoping they'd not cut Lucas again.
I got pretty lucky this time around. Banjo, Ridley, K. Rool and Dark Samus is a 10/10 get for me.

My wishlist right now would be something like this:
Dixie at the very top
Then Skull Kid
Then, in no particular order:
Toad (captain or not, I don't really care; I prefer vanilla Toad though)
Bomberman
Porky
Isaac
Doomguy
Leon Scott Kennedy

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Melee was my first game, and I was too young to think much about who else could've been in the game. I haven't really had too many specific desires over the years, I'm mostly just content with what we get, but there have been a handful I've actively gunned for.

Brawl
Isaac

Smash 4
Palutena (yay!)
Erdrick

Smash 4 DLC
Dixie Kong
Roy (yay!)
Erdrick

Smash Ultimate
Inkling (yay!)
Pokemon Trainer (yay!)
Elma
Isaac
Dixie Kong
Skull Kid
Erdrick
Monster Hunter

Smash Ultimate DLC
Erdrick (dream come true!)
Monster Hunter

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I didn't really had any wants for Smash 64 and Melee as those games where already out by the time I found out about them.

My most wanted character back in Brawl was Toon Link (Formerly referred to as "Wind Waker Link" by fans back then. And I was super ecstatic when I first saw a legit leak with him included. :toonlink:
I also had a small want for Deoxys but that was kinda short lived when it was revealed to be a Pokeball mon. Besides those two, that was more or less it if I recall....

For Smash 4, My most wanted characters where Professor Layton, as well as the return of Mewtwo and Toon Link.
Other characters I was interested in seeing where Rosalina, Lip, Mallo, Kururin, Lyn, Anna, Zoroark, Ganon, Toon Zelda, Tetra and Phoenix as well.
I don't remember who else I was interested in back then but at least Rosalina made it in though. :rosalina:

For Smash Ultimate, I really doubled down on Layton as well as Phoenix as my biggest priorities this time.
Some of the old wants I was still interested in seeing, but interest waned for some of them or lost hope for them entirely.
I did gain an additional interest for Mimikyu though. But he also went down the pokeball path with his buddies Deoxys and Zoroark (I have terrible luck when it comes to Pokemon, gosh...)
I was hyped to see Zelda redesigned to her A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds look though as that was always my most favourite design of the character. :ultzelda:

That's pretty much it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom