• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Opinion On Team Previews

How Do You Feel About Team Previews?

• Total voters

Wrath`

Smash Master
How do you feel about it?

In my opinion, I do not care about it that much, my playstyle never revolved around trying to guess what my opponent may or may not have.

My only real problem with it is all the people on Smogon that say this increases competitiveness, in my thought it nether increased or decreased the overall competitiveness of pokemon.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Don't give a crap because by the time the match starts, I forget what the person's team was in the first place anyways

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
If it wasn't for the fact /tr/ocketry was completely dead, I'd be playing there for no team preview.

Heck, I STILL play there sometimes. I need to go to Smogon to Little Cup though D:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I wish I was unbanned from Beta.

I hear rumors of no team preview ladders.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
Absolute crap. Every pokemon has to be a possible lead/anti-lead, the metagame changes drastically, prediction skill is lowered because once you see a team, if you're good, you pretty much know their strategy.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Absolute crap. Every pokemon has to be a possible lead/anti-lead, the metagame changes drastically,prediction skill is lowered because once you see a team, if you're good, you pretty much know their strategy.
Oh sweet contradiction.

It's very useful and I take advantage of it, but i'd rather that it wasn't there. I don't like when opponents make crazy predictions that only work because they know what my team is.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
.....................im really surprised that i was the only one who liked it. LOL.

good thing i got 5.26% of the vote, because 5 and 26 are my favorite numbers.

i think it benefits unique movesets lol. pokemon have always been able to carry multiple purposes! especially those with balanced stats

Wrath`

Smash Master
I do not get the whole "Be unique" thing either, some pokemon can only run some sets to be any good, just getting creative for the sake of being creative, in my thoughts, makes it a very gimmicky game.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
.....................im really surprised that i was the only one who liked it. LOL.

good thing i got 5.26% of the vote, because 5 and 26 are my favorite numbers.

i think it benefits unique movesets lol. pokemon have always been able to carry multiple purposes! especially those with balanced stats
That just makes the game one more reliant on prediction then, doesn't it?
Not all Pokemon can pull that off, though.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I've always felt that it took away from the prediction which is apart of the game.

I don't have to worry about what they are going to switch in. I already know.
It takes out the role of a "scouter" and I've seen multiple counter my lead with a different pokemon. Also taking out the role of a "lead".

I feel thats why it detracts from the diversity of the game.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
nah man

some teams are not prepared for mismagius or jumpluff

when u see it u'll be like

O SHI

but then can strategize against it

but then u might throw them off with some weird set

man

screw it, i like it, ill use it to win lols.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
One of my teams is ill-prepared for a team of 4 Jumpluff in Sun.

CRASHiC proved it :V

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
There's starting to be just so many pokemon that it's starting to make sense

plus it encourages unique movesets

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I prefer for people to not SEE my mismagius or jumpluff before the match begins.

Other than that I guess this is ok, but I said i didn't like it anyway

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i also kinda like the scare factor, and the ability to reduce ur weaknesses/increase ur opponent's weaknesses using pre-match strategy

Wrath`

Smash Master
There's starting to be just so many pokemon that it's starting to make sense

plus it encourages unique movesets
What if as I sateted before a pokemon can not run a "Unique" moveset? It just seems silly to slap say Strength on Mew to be unique or have Embargo Giga Impact Shandeera cause they "won't expect it".

I expect more quits at the beginning of matches if your opponent sees your team and realizes they could never beat it due to having to many awful matchups.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
utter ****. And people like me will be able to exploit it by making reading switches even more laughably easy.

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
It reminds me of Pokemon Stadium. It's interesting and aids the logic process in some ways, but also seems detrimental to a lot of strategies ("I would use Will o' Wisp, but I noticed you had an Ursaring and will probably destroy me once Guts/Quick Feet is activated). Surprise value will now depend on having unorthodox sets instead of Pokemon.
I would prefer the choice to see teams or not!

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I hate team previews. It ruins my entire strategy of early game, mid game, and late game. In the early game, you would have to scout and use prediction moves to get a good start. Draco Meteor pulls its weight here. By mid game, you should have figured out what core they're using and began destroying it. Their sweepers are probably still hidden. By late game, players should be trying to set up their sweeper to clean up. With team previews, it's like you're in late game, but nothing is weakened. It makes it inefficient to even have a defensive core. You may as well just use offensive cores since you don't need to predict anymore.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Don't need to predict? lol.

After you and opponent both lose a Pokemon the same turn, you have your DD Gyarados out, and your opponent has a Vaporeon out, with a Rotom-C, Nattorei, Deoxys-A, and a Gliscor. Do you switch out fearing the HP Electric? Do you set up, predicting the Scarf Rotom-C to come in? Do you predict a switch to Deoxys-A and Stone Edge? Do you predict a switch to Gliscor and Waterfall? Do you Earthquake predicting the low-HP Nattorei to come in?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I think Gyarados is pretty bad this generation... but anyways. Assuming this is turn 2, my opponent explodes o- err... explosion sucks now so... my opponent destiny bonds me while I have a really bad lead I guess... Whatever. Vaporeon is generally known to beat Gyarados. First, I assume either boiling water or toxic. If it's Wish or Protect, they wasted a turn, personally. Actually, since my opponent knows my team, they may try to use other offensive moves... I don't really fear HP electric, I feel it makes Vaporeon really weak. Ice Beam is alright, but it doesn't KO the new dragons, so.... Vaporeon sucks lol. I don't even know why the hell I would bring out a sweeper like Gyarados on the second freaking turn. He's not mixmence.

Deoxys-A doesn't Levitate so there's no point in Stone Edging. Scarftom is faster than a DD'd gyara. Gliscor would never come in on Gyara unless it carries Stone Edge. They don't. Deoxys doesn't really enjoy coming in because the risk is too great. It would be a waste if your opponent's bad moves lead to your loss. Gyarados needs like 4 hits to kill Vappy while Vappy needs like... 20 if it uses Boiling Water without getting a burn. Ice Beam takes 6 at best. HP elec kills in 2, but I would assume the set Boil Over, Toxic, Wish, Protect since it performs the best imo. Different experiences lead to different decisions... Rotom could come in on Earthquake and force me out, but a good Vaporeon already does that. No need to waste a turn to beat something you already beat.

I would definitely bring in a status absorber or steel vs the vaporeon. Ideally Roopushin or however you spell it. Guts through status and kills everything short of Gliscor. Rotom could tbolt me once status wears enough of my hp away... or immediately if he would rather have another one of his Pokemon live. Vaporeon combined with toxic orb Gliscor sounds pretty potent, actually. Balloon Doryuuzu would have to come in and dance in its face then.

Smugleaf

Smash Cadet
The team reveal takes away from prediction in my opinion. It's so fun in gen 4 to predict a switch on turn 2 for example and kill a poke off, but in 5th gen it's meh. It doesn't affect me when I play with friend though because we do the honor code of no peaking.

Top Bottom