• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your main and why

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Falcon, because i wanted to stomp, elbow, and knee the **** outta people

every day i play melee, i thank myself for the decision i made

Coffee009

Smash Rookie
Mr. Game and Watch, he may be tiered low, but I feel he has potential to be great and with my fast reflexes and creative thinking, I hope to open some eyes on people. I still got ALOT to learn though.

CodeRed5464

Smash Rookie
My main is Falco. I've tried getting good at countless other characters, but I always end up coming back to him. Call me lazy, but he's the easiest character for me to use, and that's why I love him! I just love the rewarding feeling of trying out and mastering a new advanced technique and being able to implement it in actual PvP fights in only a week or less. The things that I like most about Falco: his blaster, his reflector, and his short hop. They are all very useful and can be used in so many different ways, you just can't help but be creative with him!

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Mewtwo, almost entirely because I simply like him as a character.

Also, his ninja teleport is his saving grace.

My secondary is DK because that mother ****ing windup punch.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I play Marth. I think the tipper mechanic is fantasic in how it rewards good spacing. I enjoy his movement, combo game (dair is so fun to hit with), the way he can shut people down and cover options well.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I used to play Link and ONLY Link but after like 3 or so years of being more of a Link main than any other character I decided to branch off.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I play Yoshi.

I started competitive smash as a dual main of Falco and Marth.

I first started messing around with Yoshi when I saw Mind Trick's tech skill video. I was shocked to see how amazing Yoshi could move. I thought Yoshi was super cool.

Later I saw Fumi's technical demonstrations, I saw that Yoshi was very complex and intricate. I started to take him seriously, played him often in friendlies.

Finally I saw Vman's combo video, and I saw that Yoshi could combo. Some time after that, I decided to main Yoshi.

I stuck with Yoshi because he/she is so crazy unique, interesting, and fun. Sometimes I hate it, Yoshi can feel so limited and hard to play. However, when I'm playing on point, it feels amazing. He has so many interesting, technical, unique things that I never feel bored, or like I hit a wall. I can do things I haven't seen before, because he is so underdeveloped. He has a ton of tools, and I can constantly learn new things.

Also, it makes me feel super cool whenever I use tech skill people don't even know exists, and have to explain what happened later.

BIGJOHNSONxPWNS

Smash Apprentice
When I first started getting into the competitive side of Melee, I watched a whole lot of Dr. PP. He was basically the smasher that inspired me the most and got me to using the advanced Falco techniques from just watching him play. Once I finally got my movement down with Falco and discovered all the power he had (especially that laser game) I realized this was the character I was meant to main and was glad I didn't waste any time searching for another. Although I can play other characters and still enjoy them quite a bit (Marth being my secondary just in case), Falco will always be my favorite and my main. He's powerful, has AMAZING combo ability, can control the opponent with his lasers, has an incredible first jump height, and as slow as he is compared to Fox, if you have decent tech skill you can be quite agile with him. His easy gimp-ability and the common possibility of dying at < 20% really helps me to work on my stage positioning and spacing (not getting grabbed for easy setups, etc...). Overall I think he's the best character in the game over Fox simply because it's much easier to be consistent with him (although if we're talking about pushing the character to the limits with no human limitations Fox is easily the best in the game.)

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Marth because he's effing cool.
Falco because he's flashy and stuff.
Puff because I like cheese.
Zelda because Arizona.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Roy... because... I don't know, honestly. I've always been really damn good as Roy, ever since I was a kid. I always found it EASIER to sweet spot his attacks than Marth, (though most people find it the other way around,) and I like the fact that he packs quite the punch for a character of his speed and weight. His range isn't half bad either thanks to his sword, though usually you want to attack people up close anyways. Plus, though I myself would consider myself pretty good at Smash, most competitively orientated people wouldn't consider me "hardcore" due to the fact that I don't exploit or know about all of the competitively-orientated secret aspects in the games, which is apparently where Roy really suffers, due to his high falling speed allowing him to become an easy target for combos set up by knowledgable smashers. I've always just been much better with him than with Marth, and so I was sad to see him depart from Brawl, though I like Marth's Brawl equivalent better due to feeling more like Roy to me, so it isn't all bad.

Edit: Also, I like how after I said "I don't know" I gave an in-depth explanation that shows that I DO know. -_-

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Peach: because I like throwing things.
Jiggs: because landing a rest makes you look like a badass.
Doc: because he was my main way back in 2003 when I was a casual scrub pwning all the kids in middle school.

darf nate

Smash Cadet
My main originally was link in smash 64 then samus in melee and brawl. i guess i just liked characters with projectiles. Recently ive gotten sick of using samus and have been using cpt falcon because his sick combo ability and his speed just make him fun to play with.

O

orangetree

I play the mario bros. Their flexibility is great, and so is their moves.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
The Captain.

Why? How can there be a why?

He's awesome.
He's the best character in the game to me.

I love everything about him. I love moonwalking, taunting and fukking around the plats.

Varg Foad

Smash Cadet
I main Falco. He got great jumps, and a magnificent Dair. Also a lot of combos opportunities with his DownB. I was so disapointed to see the Brawl version, throwing his shine feels ********.

My second is Captain Falcon, the manliest combo machine who ever existed.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Falco. When I was trying to learn wavedash on a bunch of characters (I started on Fox and Link... lol) his just felt "right" and then I started learning other things like SHFFLing and SHL, and it all just clicked with me. Falco just felt great to play.

Luink

Smash Rookie
link cause its in the middle of tier list so heshows if youre a good player or not

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
link cause its in the middle of tier list so heshows if youre a good player or not
That's entirely opinion, though. It's possible to, say, be a professional Peach main, but have no idea how to use Link at a high level of efficiency. You can, however, still show a degree of skill by beating a high-tier character used by a player somewhere around your skill level.

As for me I main Dr. Mario. I sucked at Melee my whole life until I came back to it @ 18 (so about a year ago). He was a great pick because my friends like to play as characters that have recoveries easily stopped with the cape (namely Young Link and C. Falcon). I always had a good grip on how to use Mario, but I switched to Doc because I thought he was better and never went back (although in reality, the differences between the two are not big enough to deem one "superior" over the other, it's about preference). I second Jigglypuff b/c it's the only other character I know how to use, and is my only answer to Marth.

Luink

Smash Rookie
yea i think its something like pride, I dnt see glory winning a tournament with a falco or a top tier cause i know they had more advantage, in fact so i prefer do my best and lose w link vs a fox/falco etc, than win shining with a fox...its just pride , and the fact thath link its in the middle

Top Bottom