• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your journey as a smash player

Rykard

Smash Ace
Like most people, smash was one of the first games i got for gamecube and i played it to 100% completion with all the trophies and everything

I was introduced to my first tournament in 2006 at a local dragon's den by some of my friends and since i thought i was pretty good, seeing as i was better than some of my older friends i figured i could do well. Apparently, my friends knew about these advanced techniques and stuff that i never heard of, but i still managed to beat all of them the night before the tournament with marth, who i mained at the time

tournament comes around, and i get 4th lol. the rules were completely wack but i almost manage to beat someone there who was probably one of the best players in the area at the time. after that experience, i started practicing up and learning about L canceling and stuff and watching a lot of videos of Ken and Isai. i remember practicing chain grabs for a very long time, but since none of my friends played spacies, i never really had a chance to apply it

There were a couple more tournaments at that dragons den. and i went 1-2 in the next one and something in the one after that but there were actually good players at those. Each time however, i learned some new technique which helped me do slightly better such as being the first person out of my friends to be able to ledge tech consistently.

Then there was about a year or so of playing brawl in which i was actually one of the better Ice climber players in NY at the time. but eventually my friends and i found our way back to melee, especially since i was unsatisfied with wifi.

Then we got a new crew member in 2008 who goes by the tag T.Webb. he played mewtwo at the time and was scrubby. Now he ***** us with fox lol. but i try to play with him when i'm home. He has taken me to a couple of no johns and each time, i have done better and learned that i need to change something about the decisions i make in game to be able to compete at a higher level.

Going to college has had a pretty decent impact on my smash career. I was introduced to the Cornell Smash Club by Nintendude and have been going to weekly meetings since then with a lot of good players. now as a sophomore, i can say that have switched mains about 50 times within the last year just for kicks and have become one of the most diverse smashers there, being able to play as almost every character. However, this year, i have reached the conclusion of maining Luigi and will hopefully improve more and more.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I tried it once during the Smashboards combo video contest and it failed miserably. It Takes Guts to be AMAZING was a sheer accident. To be honest, I quit Melee. I'm the most talentless player I know. I can't handle Melee anymore. My spirit's shattered so bad.
****!, You must have got phil'd recently or something. In times like this you should vanish from competitions for awhile and practice to yourself with your Main's or maybe explore some new characters.

****!, You must have got phil'd recently or something. In times like this you should vanish from competitions for awhile and practice to yourself with your Main's or maybe explore some new characters.
Nah, mang, I'm done competing. I've explored a lot of characters and the one that fits best is in Brawl. I quit competing in Melee and I don't plan on competing in Brawl. I'll still go to tournaments.

Doc King

Smash Lord
You should try to play Mewtwo then or something, cause he's the closest to being like Lucario. You could also try to find another main if your character ain't in a certain game, like Doc ain't in Brawl, so I just play dedede.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Mewtwo and Lucario are nothing alike.
The only thing they have in common is shadow ball/aura sphere, and they don't even have the same trajectory. their jumps are different, their aerials are different, their range is different, their smashes are different, their tilts are different, and their specials are different.
I just have to say that you should definitely try to think about things like that more.
Lucario isn't bad in brawl, Mewtwo is bad in melee. They have absolutely nothing ingame in common.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Nah, mang, I'm done competing. I've explored a lot of characters and the one that fits best is in Brawl. I quit competing in Melee and I don't plan on competing in Brawl. I'll still go to tournaments.
I would say apply to be a tester for Project M but If your not top 10 in your region or know alot about PSA's and coding you'll likely get the big R. Maybe you should stop competing and just play friendlies and not care. Having no pressure may help you to improve. Who knows.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I played competitively since the summer of 2004, but it wasn't until 06 that I had my first breakout tournament. I had gone to FC6 that summer, as well as MLG Dallas and MLG Chicago. FASTLIKETREE, Xelic and I were going to roadtrip to Florida for MLG Orlando...but then UT dropped FASTLIKETREE from all his classes over some financial aid issue, so we had to cancel our trip. Instead, we had a 3 day smashfest with Crystal City (Caveman, Smiles, Rob$, Zulu) plus Mr. C, Forkgirl, and PROUDLIKECOW. There I got a ton of experience with high level play, and my next big statewide tournament I placed 4th, beating both Smiles and Rob$. Ever since then I've placed really well in state/regional tournaments.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Rofl , I like your point, in my opinion it doesn't, jut lots of people don't prefer it, and for other obvious reasons, but infact, just because u prefer it doesnt make you a scrub XD, I think ill go wih that :psycho:
(Knock knock)
Dad: Son, are you okay?
Kid: Uhm, I'm fine, Dad! Don't come in! (OOF!)
Dad: Well I just want to be sure *opens door*
Kid: No, Dad, don't! *grabs a super scope on FD*
Dad: What's this?! An item?! What did I tell you about items?!
Kid: I-I accidentally left them on when my friends were here...
Dad: No! No scrubs, boy! What why were you playing with ITEMS?!
Kid: I WAS USING THEM CAUSE YOU DID!
Dad: S-son... *tears up*

Parents who use items have kids who use items.

Don't be an irresponsible parent. Be above the influence (of banned stages).

(Sponsored by the Officially Unofficial Anti-Drug n' Scrub Association)

Mototsumitama

Smash Rookie
Revenge
My uncles, cousins, friends who were all older than me always beat me for years. They always had insulted my skills, but I wasn't really good. Very casual actually I was.
After losing to one of my friends again. I stop playing with them all and I decided to self train myself to beat them, though I was still unaware of stuff like L-Cancel etc. till later on.
I was better after a year or so, till by random. I got a Message on YouTube from a User telling me "You're not really good if you can't L-cancel" which brought me to see there was a lot more into the game then meets the eye. I was overwhelm by what I saw and that I myself can do it. It took time. Lots of time. I was really dedicated to beat them all, "They must have know all this and use this against me. I got to get better" I always thought though honestly, I forgot how my friends played.
By the time I became good enough to where I feel I can beat them, a new foe arrives. A new person online came to me, and he was skilled. He was more knowledgable than me and beat me usually. I learn much from him and we played a lot together.
Eventually, we became really good friends. I had forgotten about my Revenge and was just happy to get better and better though actually. I met all the people who used to beat me all the time again and actually. I overestimated, they weren't like Pro material or whatever. I manage to sweep them all like ants. It was shocking though I'm pleased and now they all sort of envy me, though honestly. I still have a ways to go.

N64

Smash Champion
Played ssb. Mained pikachu.
Got melee. 2003. Didn't like pikachu. Played shiek. scrubbed it up. Beat my friends. Got wrecked by this one guy Dmac at a local tourney. Befriended Dmac, found out about ATs.
Found out shiek was top tier. Switched to mario. switched to pichu. switched to pikachu. Stuck. 2004.
Looked around, didn't see too many top level pikas, decided to try innovating with him. Went to first big tourney (MOAST3). Didn't do so well (I think I went 2-2, I remember losing to Scav and a peach player).
Slowly got better thanks to local crew (<3). Practiced regularly. Went to FC6, got compliments from a few good players in my pool/brackets, and took sets from a couple. 2005ish.
Went to college in New York, smaller local scene but more competative tourneys. Kept improving. Made plenty of friends (<3 NE smash). released a crappy combo video.
Started being a decent threat in tourneys, occasionally (but not often) taking games and sets from relatively big names. 2006 and on.
Stopped getting better at some point. Still have bad habits. Play for fun nowadays. Still support pikachu 100%

Foody

Smash Rookie
I feel like I'm too late to the Melee party. I just quit Halo after being terribly disappointed with Reach and I decided to start playing Melee because a couple of my friends play, but they aren't very good. I still have a pretty big desire to learn this game though.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
While the topic of halo reach is up, some people like it more than every other halo.
Just ask Egoraptor.
There is a completely different way of learning this game.
Find one of your friends who you are equal in skill with, and do everything he does to get better and he will do everything you do to get better.
It's like a luigi ladder

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman
My story:
Watch Bombsoldier's Falco: get hype.
Watch Wak's AHTP on Youtube: get worse trying to hurt people with WDs.
Stop caring for a while: get worse
Get random hype: practice like a mofo
Go to Pound 4: get reamed, meet Vist, practice.
Go to Aftershocks 1 and 2: get more hype, ready for Pound 5.

TL;DR, get *****, do better.

I'll make a better version when I'm awake.

Makura

Smash Rookie
My story:
Gets melee when it comes out, plays with friends (not knowing any tech aspect of the game or even like... aerial aspect).

Play jiggs from 64 (best among friends but none of us use aerials... yeah that bad)
Stop playing in like 2006, play brawl when it comes out, plays metaknight cause thinks he looks cool. Thinks metaknight is bad (based on final smash and at the time the jump wasnt working). Convinced he's bad look up "tier lists" for the first time... in for a shock.

Get to college 2009, they got a cube, play melee puff, face 1 guy who actually knows what hes doing (marth player)... pissed convinced marth is OP, look on line for tier lists. Find m2k vs mango. Learn tech in a bad order (obsessed with learning wavedash b4 anything else).

Swap from puff, to falco, to icies, to falco, to sheik (for a while.... finally gets all basic tech down), swaps to fox cause cant really get better by only playing computers so mine as well work on hard tech....

Now play fox, falcon (maybe pick up samus), basic tech down, still do dumb stuff from lack of playing against people

Top Bottom