• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

PiGuy

Smash Rookie
Damn that was nice stuff! Completely in control and lots of style mixed in there. Awesome ledgecancels and you even managed the bair>jump>aerial in game 1 (which still blows my mind).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha thanks guys, he is my favorite character to play

just a disclaimer, i wasn't really playing at 100% for that whole match. i find the matchup very easy so i kept wanting to style on him lol. when i found myself losing momentum i was like "alright i have to run away" and then i gained it back.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i wanted to see your ylink when you played bizzarro flame :(

he is my good friend and he has a lot of experience in the matchup so i think it would've been a much more exciting match than with your sheik! i thought you would go young link haha

dang it i wish i could've met everyone. i mostly hung out with my home friends

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone here use arrows? I've been looking for new ways to make young link a smarter more technical character, and I've found even against some good smashers that rushing in with your arrows is an amazing way to overwhelm and start comboing your opponent just wondering how you long time young links felt about arrows.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
arrows are great as long as u can aim them

it gives u an extra projectile to throw while you're holding a bomb, and the boomerang is on its way back

in general though its recovery is worse than bombs and boomerangs. so you really do wanna throw those first

arrows cover nice angles though

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
well against the people i've played, i use a similar method as say a pikachu player with their b projectile i aim it and follow it, i mean it's also very good for the fill the screen method of projectile use but when i did the first method it was something i don't think they were expecting and it lead to some game changing combos

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
arrows are the best off stage and they fall at the same speed as you, or close to it.

i've been lurking for awhile since I don't think people post here often. I've been getting top 10 at my locals lately, just found all these Axe videos, I'm ultra excited

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
I am getting there I've only been playing smash for like 2 and a half years and maining young link for 3 months, but being in Socal is hard :( I want the young link threads to be a lot more active, but yesterday I took down a sheik at the team oxy tourney yesterday which was a big deal for me, got him with the Dsmash (which is one of YL's best kill moves in my opinion)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you have to press down or away, and jump immediately after you let go of the ledge. then pull the bomb immediately

i'm not sure how frame perfect you have to be, but it's pretty quick

i miss it a lot and it puts young link in a vulnerable position so i usually don't go for it

g_f

Smash Cadet
hello, new user here =D

Might i ask if any recording is available of Axe's otherwordly YL vs spacies/fastfallers?

AXE 09

Smash Master
I think it just hit me that you can't pick up a bomb you laid on the floor until you touch the floor after you dropped it. (Grabbing the ledge doesn't count as touching the floor)

For instance...

If you're on the ledge holding a bomb, and you ledge hop -> bomb drop (so that it lands on the stage without exploding) and you re-grab the ledge, you won't be able to pick up the bomb again by using ledge hop -> Z. Instead, your hookshot will come out.

Same scenario as above: If you ledge hop -> bomb drop, and then do a waveland backwards to grab the ledge (so you touched the floor), THEN you can ledge hop -> Z, and it'll grab the bomb.

I'm probably not making much sense, but I tried lol. Does everyone already know this? I feel like I subconsciously knew this, but didn't really confirm it until just now.

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
Www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_zWPo3tRE

Yeah.. I was nervous but i think i did pretty well against KDJ's Marth.
dude it's okay, nervzz suck honestly, when I had to play Westballz a couple weeks ago I got so nervous, but i'm not nearly as good as some of you guys, other then all that I like your playstyle as YL i mean KDJ is pretty damn good at reads so I don't blame you for any failed attempts, and we use the same YL costume!! :D

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
In what cases will Young Link's bombs blow up? For example, if I'm holding a bomb and get hit by a back air (I'm on the ground), will the bomb blow up? If so, will the explosion of the bomb negate the knockback of the bair? If not, then in what situations would the knockback of the bomb cancel out the previous knockback? Hopefully this makes sense.

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
In what cases will Young Link's bombs blow up? For example, if I'm holding a bomb and get hit by a back air (I'm on the ground), will the bomb blow up? If so, will the explosion of the bomb negate the knockback of the bair? If not, then in what situations would the knockback of the bomb cancel out the previous knockback? Hopefully this makes sense.
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about cause I've been trying to use that to my advantage, i've done it on command a couple times, a falco baired me and I was at a high precent BUT i was holding a bomb and the way he hit me the bomb blew up and cancelled what would have been a lethal hit, though I'm learning more and more that this strat may not be reliable, cause the hitbox is a tad awkward, but on a character who's hitboxes are big and hit hard say like Ganon i find it happens more, but i'm glad you brought this up haha cause i've been trying to make it work.

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
back to maining ylink / doc ....what is one to do...against a campy player who is very patient .... lol

like my whole strategy with ylink is oh they gonna not respect my character imma counter hit them and get them in **** they aint ready 4 ,

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
back to maining ylink / doc ....what is one to do...against a campy player who is very patient .... lol

like my whole strategy with ylink is oh they gonna not respect my character imma counter hit them and get them in **** they aint ready 4 ,
yeah I used to think that, but people know that you think they don't know what to do lol against someone campy, you have to be patient, YL has amazing camp potential just use your projectiles to give you the chance to go in, thats my advice

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah can't always rely on the other person not knowing/caring about the matchup! in the end people will hate losing to the low tier, and then lame it out! :)

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
How often do you guys waveland? Do any of you full-hop bomb-pull waveland? I feel like it's probably just me being a bad player, but as Young Link I'm constantly bouncing around the stage with wavelands and full-hop bomb-pull wavelands.

Does anyone here use arrows? I've been looking for new ways to make young link a smarter more technical character, and I've found even against some good smashers that rushing in with your arrows is an amazing way to overwhelm and start comboing your opponent just wondering how you long time young links felt about arrows.
I love using an arrow, then throwing a bomb. I never come close to charging arrows though, just tap b.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
arrows are best when you have thrown your boomerang already and don't want to throw your bomb yet

there are some situations where you want to shoot uncharged arrows from platforms too, just to get that angle

but generally boomerangs and bombs are the first priority

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
How often do you guys waveland? Do any of you full-hop bomb-pull waveland? I feel like it's probably just me being a bad player, but as Young Link I'm constantly bouncing around the stage with wavelands and full-hop bomb-pull wavelands.

I love using an arrow, then throwing a bomb. I never come close to charging arrows though, just tap b.
jumping around and wavelanding is good as long as it has purpose know where you are going, with young link his speed is what scares people as well as his projectiles, it's not you being bad if you aren't just doing things randomly

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah wavelanding should come naturally, so that you can do it on command whenever you need to make a necessary maneuver

ledge cancelling moves is also great

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
jumping around and wavelanding is good as long as it has purpose know where you are going, with young link his speed is what scares people as well as his projectiles, it's not you being bad if you aren't just doing things randomly

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of "away and above" positioning, and my full-hop bomb-grab waveland (usually further away) does a good job of keeping my armed and well-positioned.

Also love to short hop after that and throw, following up with whatever I can (usually nair, boomerang, or dair

Laijin

Smash Hero
Guys.
So I was messing around over the past couple of days with YL's grabs. I discovered Jab resets work really really well especially with floaty characters(Marth, Peach, etc etc) on people who have not seen it before(which is 99% of everyone you'll ever play). So basically down throw -> turn around(because down throw sends them behind you), jab, re-grab. It gives you an option to deal dmg to them since you can't really start comboing until 30-35%+. Grabs and bombs are the way to go with this.

But yeah, its pretty sweet and feels very rewarding to pull off. You guys should try it.

.K1

Smash Apprentice
So.....im a Marth main, but ive been messing with YL the past few days.......and I reallllllly feel like hes being used at like....60% potential, at best. Even the "top" YL players. Hes got so much potential its ********. Im not saying hes going to break into top 6 of the tier list, but I dont think its unreasonable for him to *eventually* get to top 10-12. He can just do so much **** safely if you set it up correctly. Ill keep on working some stuff and see what I can come up with video wise.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Im sick of Young Link (not really) just sick of Axe winning AZ tournaments with him.. (only cuz I don't attend, so I can expose it) <3 Axe, but yeah man, not gonna lie.. YL has some mad potential... scary even... never thought I'd be "nervous" of fighting a Young Link.. then again, Axe is well... lame idk

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
that last tournament match i ever won (evo) was with young link and not ice climbers

haha what a pity

Top Bottom