• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Youmacon 2012 AKA Youmacon Battle Opera

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Yes, cuz I was told it'd be big. But I really feel like quitting now. This is the 3rd time in a row a tourney has either been
a) much smaller than it was said to be
b) does not pay out (not the case with this but it barely matters)

Revelations costed 400 to get to, and i didn't get the 923 I'm owed yet
Domin Republic owes me 640 and I have seen none of it yet and i was supposed to get it a month ago
this is ridiculously small

It's at the point where I don't even wanna play competitively anymore from this point onward. It was a bad investment and I should have stopped 2 years ago.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yes, cuz I was told it'd be big. But I really feel like quitting now. This is the 3rd time in a row a tourney has either been
a) much smaller than it was said to be
b) does not pay out (not the case with this but it barely matters)

Revelations costed 400 to get to, and i didn't get the 923 I'm owed yet
Domin Republic owes me 640 and I have seen none of it yet and i was supposed to get it a month ago
this is ridiculously small

It's at the point where I don't even wanna play competitively anymore from this point onward. It was a bad investment and I should have stopped 2 years ago.
Why don't you do some research on tourneys before shelling out hundreds of dollars in travel expenses to attend? You're sulking on the fact that there were only four Melee teams at this, yet you clearly didn't spend any time looking at what the expected Smash turnout would be at an expensive, non-Smash oriented event. Going by your example, if your goal at the beginning of the summer+fall was to make money in teams at a large Midwest Melee tourney, you would have only needed a quick 5 minutes of research in order to conclude that FC10R and Big House 2 were the best options to do that.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Melee at this was butchered with 4 teams but Brawl is doing good with 19 teams. More than I expected but if you expected 40 teams for this M2K then you're crazy lol.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
man im so disappointed with my preformance...
Please stop getting salty from losing to people who are better than you. Respect that they outplayed you, improve from your mistakes, and move on from that.

I don't want to hear character johns either. If you are stuggling vs a character, then clearly there is an aspect in the game that you are lacking (or just need to do better at it), so work on it!

I had so much fun at this. I am satisfied with my performance in both games. I won't be there tomorrow, but good luck to whoever gets top 8!

:phone:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Zinoto and Mikey are the only ones left to defend the homeland. Tutu, Tech, and myself couldn't get the job done :(

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Ggs to Mikey and Vex. I felt like I was off today but given how badly I was beaten I think I would have lost either way. This was my worst placing in a good while. Time to step it up for Apex.

blindhobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PSN: Ligray
melee results? there's nothing on the stream for me so i'm assuming it's over.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Everything is finishing up today.

Top 8 remaining in Brawl are Zinoto, Mikey, M2K, Vex, Bloodcross, False, GDX, and Chibooooooo

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I had so much ****ing fun at this.

Meh performances in both events but had a blast partying!

Also thanks to LOE1 for the free PR points.

:denzel:

Also kid, I told you Vex would **** you playing the way you did lmao.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
i feel like I could of done much better but GGs to Zinoto/GDX. I will get my revenge.

Results(partial) :
1-4(M2K :metaknight: vs Bloodcross :metaknight: in Winners Finals, Zinoto :diddy: vs Vex :dedede: in Losers Semis)
5. False :snake: :wario:
5. CT Chibo :rob:
7. GDX :diddy:
7. Mikey Lenetia :peach:
9. Xzax :falco:
9. Keitaro :falco:
9. Tutu :sheik:
9. Ori :metaknight: :olimar:

ZTD | TECHnology

Soul was 4th but he forfeited to Inui because he felt like crap. Zinoto lost to that gay *** Falco.

Wait no Soul was 5th because he forfeited right after losing to Vex. I think that Falco got 4th.

LOE1

Smash Lord
i really just need mu experience tho

also, cant wait to see da brax.

ZTD | TECHnology

Yo.

We go hard for freedom.

:denzel:

Also:

I would like to say a few things about this event personally.

For starters, the venue and setup was simply awesome. Having all of those CRTs and the space as well as the livestream made it feel like a legit tournament. The stream quality was sexy as always and I had fun at this. However, this ran REALLY slowly today. I understand that Youmacon made you guys do Top 8 today and that you didn't get to control that but you should REALLLLLLLLLY stress how BAD of an idea it is to them if you plan on doing this again next year. Because, waking up early and then sitting at the venue for several hours later than intended because of people being late only to play/watch one to three sets is lame. Once again, I know that one was mostly out of your control but just send the message along next year if this happens again lol.

Also tying into the first point, having the tournaments at Cobo Hall was kind of what made the turnouts so much smaller. In previous years we just use the "Game Room" of the con for everything. Granted this venue >>>>>>>>> the Game Room. But it wasn't advertised at all. Once again not your fault. Just making an observation since M2K was under the impression this was going to be big. And in all honesty he shouldn't have assumed that for a con tournament anyway. But getting back to my point, there were a LOT of people who didn't know anything about the Battle Opera and all that. The lack of advertising/clarity + the implementation of a brand new system after like 8 years of using the old method definitely hurt attendance. Last year we capped at 64 people for Brawl and had like 20 people on waitlist.....lol

In addition, you guys should also consult an experienced MI TO for seeding Michigan people next time. Because we had a lot of "dumb" first and second round matches that shouldn't have happened. Our Brawl scene is actually pretty big now and we have a lot of players...90% of which don't travel. So odds are you wouldn't know who they were anyway.

But all in all it was fun. I would gladly help you guys in any way I can for next year if it happens. Just let me know.

Top Bottom