• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Laugh You Lose: Gentlemen's Club Edition

Exdeath

Smash Master
Yeah and while you're at it why don't you skip the missions and the boss battles as well?
It really depends on how you want your game to be, but I don't see why that's so ridiculous given today's gaming difficulty.

Umby

Smash Master
It really depends on how you want your game to be, but I don't see why that's so ridiculous given today's gaming difficulty.
Because the whole point of an RPG is to play it. If you want a game where you can just skip around to the story parts you want to look at, you can play a visual novel. If you don't want to do that, people make playthroughs of the games you don't like spending time actually playing and upload the videos for you to watch.

To be honest, I'd find it silly to want to pay $40+ to go through what is probably less than 5 hours total of story.

edit:

Exdeath

Smash Master
Because the whole point of an RPG is to play it. If you want a game where you can just skip around to the story parts you want to look at, you can play a visual novel. If you don't want to do that, people make playthroughs of the games you don't like spending time actually playing and upload the videos for you to watch.

To be honest, I'd find it silly to want to pay $40+ to go through what is probably less than 5 hours total of story.
By far, the biggest reasons that I play RPGs are the story and characterization(s). This is why I consider Final Fantasy Tactics to be superior to Disgaea. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy the game play in both games, however the difference in story means more to me than the difference in game play. I've been playing The Last Remnant, and I can definitely say that I would skip large portions of the game if I had the choice to, and it would make the game feel like less of a chore as a result. Part of skillful game design is pacing a game properly so that it doesn't ever feel like a chore.

I also think that it would be silly to pay $40 for a game to play for that much time, but then again the most expensive game that I have purchased in the past couple of years was SSF4: AE for $20.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer

Yeah...

It's a game. That's what you bought it as.
If you want a story go buy a movie or book or something.

Playing games for the story is, to put it bluntly, just really dumb.

zero_traveler

Smash Rookie
I play games for the story all the time.

possible difference is, I'm willing to accept a level of gameplay (issues and all) to get that story.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm really sad to see that this mindset still exists.
I made a post that would be a perfect reply to this awhile back.

Lemme hunt it down.

Ah yes here it is.

AAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHHAHAHH
HAHAAHHAHAHAHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSzCwFu1dYY

HAHAAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHA

HHHHAHAHHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAAHA AHAHHAHA
HAHAHAHAHHAAAHHAHHHAHA

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHHAHHAHAHHHHHHAHAAAAAAAAAA

AAHHAHHHHAHHHAHHA

HAHAHAHAHA

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAAA

AHAHAHAHHHAHHAAHHAHAHH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lmfaoo lost hard

also lost at playing games for the story.
If you play games for the story you have exceptionally poor taste in narratives and storytelling.

Some games have cool stories but thats -by gaming standards- which is a very low bar to surpass.
I rarely even watch movies for the story, for the same reason.
If you want a good story, read a book. there has and will never be a video game with a narrative good enough to stand on its own apart from the gameplay/visuals. By definition, the cohesiveness and quality of the story has to suffer in order to give depth to the gameplay.

MGS is considered to have a great story for example. But think about it. It's a game about a near-flawless secret government agent (who is a clone btw) who singlehandedly defeats a 30 foot tall giant nuke launching robot monster. that's cool. but that's also ****ing stupid.
CAUTION: THE ABOVE IS MY OPINION

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol.
Nothing you said even had to do with my post you quoted.
You're just assuming **** and putting words in people's mouths.

that doesn't mean it's not open for criticism.
Yeah, that's why he said it's his opinion.
Derp.

Go back to the debate hall, where acting like an obnoxious *** is acceptable.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
lol.
Nothing you said even had to do with my post you quoted.
You're just assuming **** and putting words in people's mouths.

Yeah, that's why he said it's his opinion.
Derp.

Go back to the debate hall, where acting like an obnoxious *** is acceptable.
Can I deposit five dollars in your bank account?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Being drunk has it's perks.

Now you know I take time to write it allll.... No I don't I ****ed up, that's what

Top Bottom