• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Laugh You Lose: Gentlemen's Club Edition

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
meaning that playing a game for the story can be substituted for watching a movie, or reading a book.
Nope.
Again, didn't say that at all.

Is this seriously how you debate?
Who the hell actually let you out of the proving grounds?

it's not my fault that what I said just went over your head.
I lost.
There's your comedy, Zio.

come back to reality, where simply repeating "you're playing a game" isn't support or justification.
Come back to reality, where this doesn't count as an argument at all.

You can tell the smash community is really close-knit because we all pms at the same time.
Nah, I pms all the time.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Do you believe this topic sucks so much right now I am requesting Pony content?

You people make me sick

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice

sorry I was bored

People play games for the gameplay.
This is quite interesting. Playing games for gameplay. Notice how the word gameplay includes both of the following words; "play" and "game". I agree with GHNeko wholeheartedly. People indeed do play games for the game play. They may enjoy the story as well, but such a thing is ancillary! How dare we speak of such debauchery as "fast forwarding" through gameplay. MADNESS. You could just read the wikia for the plot... or maybe vigorously read through the detailed FAQ on gamefaqs to utilize the pulchritude of your furtive imagination in attempt to quench your insatiable thirst for .... mmmmmmm delicious story. What's that? Reading is too laborious?! Worry not friends. Simply copy/paste the gamefaqs article into one of those steven hawkings text to robot voice apps.

Nay Citizens of Smashboards. GHNeko has eloquently and succinctly stated why we all play games... for gameplay.

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
I played portal for the ingenuity, which encompasses both story and gameplay.
Wtf... Lol, no. The game is ingenious for the gameplay. You played that game for the gameplay. "Wake up, robot voice, puzzle, cake, run away, kill robot" isn't a story. Nor is it ingenious, they pretty much took the idea of HAL and ran away with it. The GLaDOS eyes even looked like HAL! PPPPPPfffft... rob players ;p

D0N

Smash Ace

sorry I was bored

This is quite interesting. Playing games for gameplay. Notice how the word gameplay includes both of the following words; "play" and "game". I agree with GHNeko wholeheartedly. People indeed do play games for the game play. They may enjoy the story as well, but such a thing is ancillary! How dare we speak of such debauchery as "fast forwarding" through gameplay. MADNESS. You could just read the wikia for the plot... or maybe vigorously read through the detailed FAQ on gamefaqs to utilize the pulchritude of your furtive imagination in attempt to quench your insatiable thirst for .... mmmmmmm delicious story. What's that? Reading is too laborious?! Worry not friends. Simply copy/paste the gamefaqs article into one of those steven hawkings text to robot voice apps.

Nay Citizens of Smashboards. GHNeko has eloquently and succinctly stated why we all play games... for gameplay.

I played Heavy Rain for the interactive story. Whether the story is enjoyable or not is a matter of opinion, but I definitely didn't play it just to do QTEs all day and don't think I'm alone.

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
Interactive story is another way of saying video game. You interact with the story through the gameplay. If someone says they don't like the gameplay and want to skip it to get through the story, then they can just watch the game being played on youtube. I'm not saying I like doing QTE's, I'm just saying that I like walking around through the level and talking to people and figuring stuff out. That is the gameplay.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Plus I was just joking.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It was already pretty much over.

Now you guys are just adding to it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I like how ocean implied that I said people play games ONLY for gameplay.

I said people play games for gameplay. Not only for gameplay, meaning that it can easily be gameplay + something else.

If you play games for everything but than gameplay, then you're playing games for the wrong reasons.

gameplay is always a major factor in playing games. Not the only one, but it's always there.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Some ******* in North FL has that same avi as HBOX, a brawl player i think he lives in tally.

****in' fools me everytime i see him post.

Exdeath

Smash Master

sorry I was bored

If that's really the case, then why not just read the wikia for a movie or a book.

An example of what I was referring to when I said skipping gameplay would be using, say, selecting an "Exit" option in a menu instead of having to walk back through a town to the exit.

A couple of examples of games that I preferred for their story are Deus Ex (which is extremely gameplay heavy, but is -- in my opinion -- a great example of why storytelling in gaming is a worthwhile endeavor) and KotOR (similar storytelling hasn't been told as smoothly outside of games).

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I was at Paranormal Activity 3 in theatres with a girl i was thinking about dating.
Halfway through she gets out her iPhone and goes to Wiki and looks up the synopsis.
she turns to me and says
It's the grandma
and then proceeds to say things like "Tell me when it's over" before it's even started happening.

I was so pissed.
Needless to say, i didn't date her.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I was at Paranormal Activity 3 in theatres with a girl i was thinking about dating.
Halfway through she gets out her iPhone and goes to Wiki and looks up the synopsis.
she turns to me and says
It's the grandma
and then proceeds to say things like "Tell me when it's over" before it's even started happening.

I was so pissed.
Needless to say, i didn't date her.
I would be pissed.

Top Bottom