• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
I think my whole neighborhood. I'm serious though, with Ike returning, I think Sakurai would want a non-Blue haired swordsman to show that Fire Emblem doesn't just have characters like that.
I like to imagine it like a wedding. Like all the head development staff is around a table planning the roster, and Toru Narihiro will burst through the door at the last second to stop this unholy union from ever carrying forth.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I like to imagine it like a wedding. Like all the head development staff is around a table planning the roster, and Toru Narihiro will burst through the door at the last second to stop this unholy union from ever carrying forth.
Reminds me of Shrek, when King Farquaad was about to marry Fiona. Shrek confirmed for our 3rd Fire Emblem character! :troll:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Cause we still need two things, a non-sword user, and a non-male character. Micaiah and Female Robin are the only two in my mind that can fit both roles.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Neat. Ike made it back.
He looks awesome, his heavy hitting style definitely fits his character more this time around. Also I guess we can expect a radiant dawn stage on the Wii U ;)

Hong

The Strongest
So, we are still left with the question...

Has Sakurai played any of Ike's games?

Watch Eruption get replaced with Ike blowing a large sausage balloon, tying it into the shape of a horse and riding it towards his enemies.

"Players will remember Ike being very slow in the last game. Now he has a trusty steed to help offset this weakness!

His attacks are still really slow so that he can remain balanced. Please understand."

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening yet (I'm planning on it right after Pokemon Y), but do Marth or Ike appear in it? Not given passing references to or any indirect shout-outs, but appear, themselves, in the flesh?

Because if so, it would seem odd to have an Awakening stage with no characters from said game. And this isn't some obscure franchise-based stage like Pilotwings, Pictochat, Balloon Fight or Hanenbow, the franchise is already being represented.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So I haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening yet (I'm planning on it right after Pokemon Y), but do Marth or Ike appear in it? Not given passing references to or any indirect shout-outs, but appear, themselves, in the flesh?

Because if so, it would seem odd to have an Awakening stage with no characters from said game. And this isn't some obscure franchise-based stage like Pilotwings, Pictochat, Balloon Fight or Hanenbow, the franchise is already being represented.

Through DLC they become playable characters.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

Marth appears directly, in a way. I just rather not give spoilers though, as I see you haven't played it, yet.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

They only appear as DLC.

And I don't think having a stage from Awakening but no playable character is really that odd.

Hong

The Strongest

The spirits of Marth and Ike appear in the DLC chapters, which take place in the Outrealm, which is basically the "Fan Fiction Land" of Fire Emblem where anything goes and has no consequence to the main story.

Spoilers incoming:
That said, Chrom (and in turn Lucina) are the descendants of Marth. The story takes place a millennium after. At most, Awakening has Priam, who is the descendant of Ike. He appears through a DLC chapter which is a sidequest, but indeed canon.

In short, no. Marth as Marth and Ike are not directly in Awakening. Only their phantoms, which are DLC which are about as consequential as the death of a character in a Looney Toon cartoon.

I...guess that counts?

Can you take DLC Marth and Ike to Arena Ferox? If so, does anything plot-important happen?
No. Beyond their DLC, they have no dialogue, have no voice lines, or anything akin to unique character models.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I...guess that counts?

Can you take DLC Marth and Ike to Arena Ferox? If so, does anything plot-important happen?
No. The DLC characters are all basically generic units with skillsets vaguely resembling their original counterparts. They have no character and can't even support with others.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I still think Micaiah is the only choice for the third rep.
What do you mean by this? do you mean Micaiah is your preference for FE newcomer? Or do you mean that she is the only plausible choice? If so, why do you think that?

Hong

The Strongest
Aside from the slumber of Tiki and the developer friendzoning of Lyn, all the candidates are still in the running I'd say.

Chrom, the newest star of the series. Regrettably, he is of the new archetype of lord, akin to Alm but truly founded by Ike himself. Strong, brutish, ruffians much like the Mercenary class. An obsession with exposed muscular arms and leaving swords in the ground, there is no doubt Chrom has taken a lot of inspiration from Ike in abilities, demeanour, fashion sense and even statistics. Then again, with Toon Link as a confirmed fighter, I am fairly certain anything goes. Same goes for his daughter. Still valid.

There is Anna. Well, we could say her chances have improved, but we were still counting on the developer even considering her as an option to begin with. Still valid.

Robin must be feeling pretty good. Given she is not only different from the lord archetype established by Ike, but far and away different from most other leads. What is more is she is aboard the Awakening hype train, a game already featured in Smash Bros. Will this smash hit be referenced again, or will we be cut short at a stage and some tracks? We'll see. Still valid.

Ephraim is something that could come up if they really wanted to lay out the lords specifically and find someone unique, but his slim chances have not improved. Still valid.

Micaiah? Well, I wouldn't jump the gun. Those biased in favour of her character would say a Radiant Dawn Ike calls for a Radiant Dawn Micaiah, while I would argue that is just as much reason to represent a different world all together. Still valid.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Aside from the slumber of Tiki and the developer friendzoning of Lyn, all the candidates are still in the running I'd say.

Chrom, the newest star of the series. Regrettably, he is of the new archetype of lord, akin to Alm but truly founded by Ike himself. Strong, brutish, ruffians much like the Mercenary class. An obsession with exposed muscular arms and leaving swords in the ground, there is no doubt Chrom has taken a lot of inspiration from Ike in abilities, demeanour, fashion sense and even statistics. Then again, with Toon Link as a confirmed fighter, I am fairly certain anything goes. Same goes for his daughter. Still valid.

There is Anna. Well, we could say her chances have improved, but we were still counting on the developer even considering her as an option to begin with. Still valid.

Robin must be feeling pretty good. Given she is not only different from the lord archetype established by Ike, but far and away different from most other leads. What is more is she is aboard the Awakening hype train, a game already featured in Smash Bros. Will this smash hit be referenced again, or will we be cut short at a stage and some tracks? We'll see. Still valid.

Ephraim is something that could come up if they really wanted to lay out the lords specifically and find someone unique, but his slim chances have not improved. Still valid.

Micaiah? Well, I wouldn't jump the gun. Those biased in favour of her character would say a Radiant Dawn Ike calls for a Radiant Dawn Micaiah, while I would argue that is just as much reason to represent a different world all together. Still valid.
What about Lucina? If we are considering Ephiraim and Micaiah, surely Lucina should be listed.

As far as everything else, Robin is becoming more and more likely. I would still bet against him, but he isn't another blue haired Lord and whatnot. I wouldn't say Anna is very probable, but possible. Everyone seems to want her. I'd like her as an assist better. Anyone have any "stage boss" ideas? Do we even have any second stage ideas? Arena Ferox might be it, and Sakurai would probably sowed us the boss if there was one.

Awakening Boss listed below.
Grima?!

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
o.o I mentioned Lucina in there.

Personally I would love to see her. More than Chrom, for sure.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
o.o I mentioned Lucina in there.

Personally I would love to see her. More than Chrom, for sure.
My mistake. Read 90%, scanned rest. My brain was looking for "Lucina" not "his daughter". I wouldn't care about either more than the other, but Chrom is more likely. All about play style honestly. I'd imagine Chrom would be a mixture of Ike and Fox. Quick and agile, but still a heavy hitter with slow recovery(not to be confused with the UpB). Lucina would be like Sheik, Nimble with a fast recovery, but not as much power.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Now we just need to put Ike in the character roster along with the likes of Mario, Pikachu, Link, etc.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
This sucks for me, there is a lesser chance of Robin getting in now. I'm pretty sure Chrom won't be added now, but this returning veteran makes me wonder if I was right stretching the FE reps to three.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord

They have dlc playable appearances and both have homages with chrom being marth' descndent and priam being ike's

Hong

The Strongest
Stepping away from characters, I must say I am pining for a Tellius stage now more than ever. The possibilities are bountiful.

It would be kind of wild to fight on that level of the Tower of Guidance where you fought the Black Knight. The battle takes place where Ike and the Black Knight fought, and on the other side of the barrier we can see the heroes of Radiant Dawn fighting the Disciples of Order.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
This sucks for me, there is a lesser chance of Robin getting in now. I'm pretty sure Chrom won't be added now, but this returning veteran makes me wonder if I was right stretching the FE reps to three.
Pretty sure Chrom won't make it? Eh, maybe. I am on board with the whole " makes me wonder if I was right stretching the FE reps to three", though. Roster space is defiantly a consideration. I mean, we have...(based on Brawls numbers and the roster cap)

1. 4 / 5 pokemon
  2. 1/3 Star Fox
  3. 4/5 Zelda
  4. 2/3 Kirby
  5. 0/2 Earthbound
I know my list isn't at any roster cap I've set, but you can see how much more there is to reveal. Not to mention the single rep franchises, like Climbers, Cpt. Falcon, and Game and Watch. A 3rd rep isn't as definate as I thought.

@Hong

I was thinking about Grima as a stage. Fighting on the back of a dragon... can't beat that. Sadly, they already have an Awakening map.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I have simply no idea what you're talking about. There's nothing to suggest that we'll only get two Fire Emblem characters. In fact, it seems very likely we'll get three at this point. Ike was never in the way of any Awakening character; it was just a question of whether or not he would tag along.

At this point, I definitely expect three Fire Emblem characters. More than likely, it will be Chrom. However, things seem to be looking pretty good for Robin as of late, as well. So, don't be upset. you have no reason to be.

Hong

The Strongest
Also, technically if we were aiming for patterns (which you shouldn't), one could argue there has been a new Fire Emblem character with every game starting from Melee. While the seven years since Ike has starred in a game has contained two remakes and only one wholly original product, there has been years of feedback and a lot of time to reflect on it.

I couldn't even say Radiant Dawn was given a fair shot. Getting in the Sothe trophy was easy, sure, but according to the Sakurai the development staff was trying so hard to crank in new characters even late in development. Wouldn't be surprised if Ike was done-and-dusted relatively early in development. With that, I would say even Micaiah is a valid thought.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Someone tell me why Roy deserves to come back and deserved to ever be in smash to begin with.

Please.
- Veteran
- Non blue-haired swordsman
- Fire
- Can be tweaked to have a semi-cloned moveset that isn't related to Marth
- Chrom is terrible Lord
- Robin and Anna are overrated
- Did I mentioned fire?

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
- Veteran
- Fire
- Chrom is terrible Lord
- Did I mentioned fire?
- Cut from Melee
- More unique characters avalible
- Ike and Charizard
- Still partly cloney
- You're opinion
- Because they are better options
- Yes and Ike and Charizard have it

Louie G.

Smash Hero
- Veteran
- Fire
- Chrom is terrible Lord
- Did I mentioned fire?
None of these relate to Roy's actual importance in the Fire Emblem franchise.

Chrom being a "terrible Lord" doesn't detract from the fact that he is the ideal choice for Intelligent Systems, since not only was he the Lord of the most successful FE game of all time (that, yes, saved the series) but he is decently popular and is even playable in Monster Hunter, and is likely to appear in SMTxFE.

Robin is pretty overrated, but Anna is probably the most important FE character barring Marth.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
- Veteran
- Fire
- Chrom is terrible Lord
- Did I mentioned fire?
I don't find those to be particularly deserving qualities. I mean, I could do something quite similar for someone like Robin.

-Newcomer
-Non blue-haired swordsman
-Magic
-Can be incredibly unique
-Chrom is a terrible Lord
-Roy and Anna are overrated
-Did I mention magic?

That's not even everything, really.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC