• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Male Robin isn't?
Personally, I think it's because Robin takes inspiration from strategists in stories where they decide battles, who tread the line of 'canon mary sue' (admittedly, mary sue as a term is virtually worthless). Think Zhuge Liang from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the ur example. The role is typically taken by a guy with little characterization outside of being a bad***. So, it was refreshing to see it played by a girl with little characterization outside of being a bad***.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Personally, I think it's because Robin takes inspiration from strategists in stories where they decide battles, who tread the line of 'canon mary sue' (admittedly, mary sue as a term is virtually worthless). Think Zhuge Liang from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, the ur example. The role is typically taken by a guy with little characterization outside of being a bad***. So, it was refreshing to see it played by a girl with little characterization outside of being a bad***.
I don't understand ANY of these references... I'll just assume you have a good reason for believing the way you do. See, you read/watch/play "Romance of the Three Kingdoms"... I prefer "A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones". I take it they are vastly different and portray gender based roles VERY differently. I'm alright with FemRobin. Only in companionship with Male Robin.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
You forgot:
-would give much-needed shota representation.

:troll: :troll: :troll:
Hey, you know me. I'm always up for more shota representation. :awesome: :troll:

Although, if Roy's in, I think I'd prefer if he looks a bit older (like kinda based on his Awakening design, though I doubt it). Hmm, I suppose with Marth and Ike's appearances, having Roy looking a bit younger would make him stand out more.

I do love Chrom (and can't fathom why people like Roy more than he, outside of his Smash appearances. I mean what the hell? How could anyone like Roy if they've played his game?)

Anyway, other than Chrom, FemRobin and Anna are also excellent choices, and I'd take any of them.
I like Roy more than Chrom. :reverse:

It's fine if you don't/never understand why people like Roy (although I don't mind explaining if you'd like...). People like different characters and have different preferences. I've played a lot of video games. Some with bad gameplay and/or just with sucky protags. Doesn't mean I dislike the protags -- sometimes I still like them due to various other things.

That being said, can't wait to see more PoTDs with Ike. I'd really like to know if Eruption (we didn't see it, right?) is returning or not (and other tweaks).

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I don't understand ANY of these references... I'll just assume you have a good reason for believing the way you do. See, you read/watch/play "Romance of the Three Kingdoms"... I prefer "A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones". I take it they are vastly different and portray gender based roles VERY differently. I'm alright with FemRobin. Only in companionship with Male Robin.
I'm probably one of the ten people who actually read it. To summarize, Zhuge Liang changes the ****ing weather and, on two occasions, makes plans years in advance. I'll also say that I don't know a single about Game of Thrones besides that incest is involved somehow, so I can't comment. And, yeah, Robin should get male and female versions. I believe the original worry was having only a male version, a la Pokemon Trainer in Brawl who should have gotten a Leaf alt.

Hong

The Strongest
Can I just post this here?

I think wearing a green headband at an FGC local event today was either one of my worst or one of my best ideas.

The correlation somehow had not occurred to me until I got there. (/ _ ; )

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's always got to be Chrom vs. Lucina vs. Robin. Why not mash them into one character like Ice Climbers and the Chorus Men?

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Robin's down + b can either summon Chrom or Lucina like Zelda's Phantom Slash.

Someone's got to absorb those Charge Shots. :4samus:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm probably one of the ten people who actually read it. To summarize, Zhuge Liang changes the ****ing weather and, on two occasions, makes plans years in advance. I'll also say that I don't know a single about Game of Thrones besides that incest is involved somehow, so I can't comment. And, yeah, Robin should get male and female versions. I believe the original worry was having only a male version, a la Pokemon Trainer in Brawl who should have gotten a Leaf alt.
Interesting. I'd recommend Game of Thrones to anyone. Reader discression advised, however. Because I don't want the mods to frown upon an unrelated post, I'll say I support a tag-team between Chrom and Lucina. It has been a rumor a while ago.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Any one else getting a bit worried that we haven't seen any FE items yet? Not saying we're not getting any but if we don't get at least one, I'll be disappointed. Especially if all the FE characters are going to be sword-wielders, I'd love some items perhaps of different weapons. I guess I'm getting a little impatient haha. I always thought Tomes would be cool to represent magic. There's a lot of items they could also have for healing and whatnot.

If they want more Awakening representation, they could perhaps have a Reeking Box as an item. Picking up the box and throwing it will summon a Risen randomly (like a Revenant, Awakening design), attacking anything in its way for a short time (or maybe something like this is best for an AT?). Just throwing some ideas out here.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Was just about to like your post... Why FEM Robin?
Eh, you could have both I suppose, but aesthetically I prefer fem Robin. It's either her or both, in my opinion, and both seems more likely looking at how the other avatar characters have been handled.

Hong

The Strongest
Any one else getting a bit worried that we haven't seen any FE items yet? Not saying we're not getting any but if we don't get at least one, I'll be disappointed. Especially if all the FE characters are going to be sword-wielders, I'd love some items perhaps of different weapons. I guess I'm getting a little impatient haha. I always thought Tomes would be cool to represent magic. There's a lot of items they could also have for healing and whatnot.
I worried, at first.

But they added Steel Diver among other things as rather obscure items. Something tells me we'll have more items now than ever, so I'm hopeful.

I am sticking to my idea of a rapier. A thrusting weapon great against shields, but like all Fire Emblem weapons, breaks fast!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Kind of unrelated to the current discussion, but I was looking at the smiley faces, specifically the smash 4 ones and I noticed a blank space. When I scrolled over it was the soon to be Ike button and the way to activate was (4myfriends) (colons ":" instead of parentheses), unlike the others which was like 4link, 4marth, etc. I found it as nice nod to Ike's victory quote.

Last edited:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
You know what would be random and badass? Making Altina a playable character... BA Heroine with Ragnell in one hand, and Alondite in the other. I can dream.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

If they want more Awakening representation, they could perhaps have a Reeking Box as an item. Picking up the box and throwing it will summon a Risen randomly (like a Revenant, Awakening design), attacking anything in its way for a short time (or maybe something like this is best for an AT?). Just throwing some ideas out here.
My favorite idea is still the Devil Axe, it would be an incredibly strong weapon with a moderately fast swing animation that has a chance to damage your character and send him/her flying. The unpredictability factor would be fun to play around.

Hong

The Strongest
My favorite idea is still the Devil Axe, it would be an incredibly strong weapon with a moderately fast swing animation that has a chance to damage your character and send him/her flying. The unpredictability factor would be fun to play around.
Throw Devil Axe -> Gets reflected -> Hits the person who threw it -> person who reflected it dies.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
What would really be Random and Badass would be SURPRISE WALHART. Just like the facebook poll he could win without most people even realizing he was in the running.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
What would really be Random and Badass would be SURPRISE WALHART. Just like the facebook poll he could win without most people even realizing he was in the running.
He's high on my list of "characters-from-Fire Emblem-who-would-bring-a-LOT-to-the-table-and-deserve-a-spot-but-will-never-make-it. An assist should be in order for these characters(Walhart, Validar, Anna, Tiki) but stupid Sakurai probably says

"You want Fire Emblem assist? Lyn. That's all you get."In

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
I totally agree with this. I hate the pair up mechanic.
It was a good mechanic, maybe it could have been polished up a bit but ongoing series like FE need to have new elements put into there games. Do you want to really see the same game play for several games in a row? At least they added something new instead of keeping the same formula. I hope to see this feature in the next game but better, it was a good way to have characters interact with each other.

Hong

The Strongest
I could almost bet on Chrom and Lucina as being an AT duo, much like Kat & Ana, though either are possible as fighters.

Or they could be both.

"When you play as Lucina, Xane comes out of the Assist Trophy instead."
"Xane: Leave it to me!"

Last edited:

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
Awww yiss! Finally done with my Chrom + Lucina hype animation!

I definitely want to see this pair fight together in Smash 4. I mean, just look at those two badasses!

If they fight by alternating their attacks like do when paired up in Fire Emblem: Awakening, they would be some very interesting fighters from a gameplay standpoint, and would offer some great battles to watch (just watching the battles in FE:A when paired up was amazing.)

Last edited:

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Making both Ice Climbers one character is okay, not any FE characters. FE characters have the personality and uniqueness to be a singular character unlike the Ice Climbers whos character is the equivalent to a brick. Robin or Chrom are good enough characters to not have other characters be apart of them or their attacks. Robin uses tactics, spawning soldiers everywhere to attack is stupid, that is not strategy.

Robin should have tomes and Chrom should have a fire emblem shield.

No matter what you say, it was always a competition between Ike, Robin, and Chrom. Although Robin may not have been as popular as her, he still has a greater chance than Lucina. Lucina should not get priority over the other awakening characters, especially Robin who has a bigger role in the game than her. Sakurai will always put the greater, more important, main characters first. After that the side characters will come.

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
Making both Ice Climbers one character is okay, not any FE characters. FE characters have the personality and uniqueness to be a singular character unlike the Ice Climbers whos character is the equivalent to a brick. Robin or Chrom are good enough characters to not have other characters be apart of them or their attacks. Robin uses tactics, spawning soldiers everywhere to attack is stupid, that is not strategy.

Robin should have tomes and Chrom should have a fire emblem shield.

No matter what you say, it was always a competition between Ike, Robin, and Chrom. Although Robin may not have been as popular as her, he still has a greater chance than Lucina. Lucina should not get priority over the other awakening characters, especially Robin who has a bigger role in the game than her. Sakurai will always put the greater, more important, main characters first. After that the side characters will come.
My problem with Chrom making it alone is that as far as fighting prowess goes, he is very generic. One look at Marth, and you can imagine he is more of a quick and nimble fighter. Ike's raw strength was a big deal in his games, and his Radiant Dawn appearance lets you know he is not one for subtleties. Now, what could Chrom do that is different from both Marth and Ike? Based on his design, I really don't know. Looking at the gameplay of FE:A though, pairing up is the big feature of the game, the first skill he starts with increases the chances of a character striking when paired up, and he doesn't want to shut up about bonds. Hmmm...

And as much as I would like Robin, I think his chances are slim to none. While it is arguable that Robin is the most important character in the story, he just isn't presented as such. Chrom and Lucina are the two most prominent characters on the boxart (Robin isn't even featured,) Chrom and Lucina appear in most of the game's cutscenes (you only barely see Robin during the first cutscene,) Chrom and Lucina are the two characters used to promote the game and its products like the soundtrack... Sure, most of that probably stems from Robin not having a definitive face, voice or even gender, but in the end, it makes it so Chrom and Lucina are much more the game's "face" than Robin.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
And as much as I would like Robin, I think his chances are slim to none. While it is arguable that Robin is the most important character in the story, he just isn't presented as such. Chrom and Lucina are the two most prominent characters on the boxart (Robin isn't even featured,) Chrom and Lucina appear in most of the game's cutscenes (you only barely see Robin during the first cutscene,) Chrom and Lucina are the two characters used to promote the game and its products like the soundtrack... Sure, most of that probably stems from Robin not having a definitive face, voice or even gender, but in the end, it makes it so Chrom and Lucina are much more the game's "face" than Robin.
But is it really necessary to be the "face" of the game? I mean, look at Greninja. That thing wasn't even officially revealed until after X and Y came out. Something like Sylveon was much more of a face for the games. But that didn't stop Greninja, now did it? And besides, even if Robin isn't that recognizable to those who haven't played Awakening, the actual fans of Fire Emblem will know full well who s/he is.

I don't think not being the "face" of the game rules Robin out as a possibility. Does it hurt his/her chances? Certainly. But s/he's far from impossible.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
My problem with Chrom making it alone is that as far as fighting prowess goes, he is very generic. One look at Marth, and you can imagine he is more of a quick and nimble fighter. Ike's raw strength was a big deal in his games, and his Radiant Dawn appearance lets you know he is not one for subtleties. Now, what could Chrom do that is different from both Marth and Ike? Based on his design, I really don't know. Looking at the gameplay of FE:A though, pairing up is the big feature of the game, the first skill he starts with increases the chances of a character striking when paired up, and he doesn't want to shut up about bonds. Hmmm...

Chrom could have his great lord shield, although I don't want him more than Robin this is a way to make something more of this generic blue haired sword lord trio.

Robins chances aren't slim, they are greater than Lucinas. The developers proabably didn't want to put an official look on him in the boxart as he is a customizable character that represents the player. The hood was added for cutscenes because characters like Robin need a way to cover their customizable parts for obvious reasons. Robin was one of the key elements of awakening and was presented well for a character that was supposed to represent the player. Don't tell me Lucina is a greater character than Robin just because she was advertised more. Not having a true face (being customizable) didn't stop Sakurai from adding Villager, Robin had a default look and Villager didn't, so this is an invalid argument.

Without Grima (AKA Robin) Lucina would be irrelevant to the plot as she wouldn't be existing. I'm pretty sure being both the villian and one of the main protagonist makes him more important than Lucina. As for what Lucina can offer compared to Robin, we might as well bring back Roy.

#DeportIwata

Last edited:

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
But is it really necessary to be the "face" of the game? I mean, look at Greninja. That thing wasn't even officially revealed until after X and Y came out. Something like Sylveon was much more of a face for the games. But that didn't stop Greninja, now did it? And besides, even if Robin isn't that recognizable to those who haven't played Awakening, the actual fans of Fire Emblem will know full well who s/he is.

I don't think not being the "face" of the game rules Robin out as a possibility. Does it hurt his/her chances? Certainly. But s/he's far from impossible.
My problem with him is not that he is somehow "disqualified" from being in Smash 4, but that there are better choices. I do not think there was an obvious gen VI Pokémon representative, so it was perfectly logical to pick one of the most popular ones and whose design can give a good moveset for smash.

Robins chances aren't slim, they are greater than Lucinas. The developers proabably didn't want to put an official look on him in the boxart as he is a customizable character that represents the player. The hood was added for cutscenes because characters like Robin need a way to cover their customizable parts for obvious reasons. Robin was one of the key elements of awakening and was presented well for a character that was supposed to represent the player. Don't tell me Lucina is a greater character than Robin just because she was advertised more. Not having a true face (being customizable) didn't stop Sakurai from adding Villager, Robin had a default look and Villager didn't, so this is an invalid argument.
But the Villager is the main character of every single Animal Crossing games, that's pretty huge. Unlike Robin, the villager is extensively featured on the boxarts and promotional arts for Animal Crossing.

Without Grima (AKA Robin) Lucina would be irrelevant to the plot as she wouldn't be existing. I'm pretty sure being both the villian and one of the main protagonist makes him more important than Lucina. As for what Lucina can offer compared to Robin, we might as well bring back Roy.
Well, at this point you could also say that without Validar, Robin wouldn't exist, therefor Validar is more important than Robin. :p

But trust me, I don't hate Robin at all, I'm just saying that if they want someone to represent the latest Fire Emblem game, he just isn't the one to go to. If that can make you feel better, I do think solo Robin is more likely than solo Lucina, but I don't think either those options will make it in.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My problem with him is not that he is somehow "disqualified" from being in Smash 4, but that there are better choices. I do not think there was an obvious gen VI Pokémon representative, so it was perfectly logical to pick one of the most popular ones and whose design can give a good moveset for smash.
Better choices like Chrom, who you did say may not offer anything unique? If Sakurai finds Chrom to be a lackluster option, then Robin is the obvious next choice, I think.

Also, they could very well have just not had a generation VI Pokemon. They could have just brought back Mewtwo. That, and Sylveon was a pretty big face for the generation prior to its release, if being the "face" mattered so much.

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
Better choices like Chrom, who you did say may not offer anything unique? If Sakurai finds Chrom to be a lackluster option, then Robin is the obvious next choice, I think.

Also, they could very well have just not had a generation VI Pokemon. They could have just brought back Mewtwo. That, and Sylveon was a pretty big face for the generation prior to its release, if being the "face" mattered so much.
Chrom lacking style is why I believe he'll be paired with Lucina. This duo is both iconic and would offer something unique to Smash (well, if they're implemented the way I mentioned before.) I'm honestly surprised this idea doesn't seem to have many supporters... :c

As for Sylveon, I would not consider it the "face" of gen VI by any means. Sure, it was a thing during the early hype days up until the reveal of the fairy type, but that's about it. It isn't an important pokémon in the games (its most noteworthy appearance is a gym leader having one in her team.) And that's not even considering how hard it would be to implement a character like Sylveon in a game like Super Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom