• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
- Can bring back due to fan demand. Same as Mewtwo
- Roy is still unique with a fire swordsmen moveset
- Ok, and?
- Partly cloney is better than being full cloned like Tink
- It's "your". Learn to English
- Not when everyone shoves those two down people's throats
- Again, and?
We already have characters that use fire, it's not unique anymore and the fan demand is nowhere near as high as mewtwo or even chrom

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Stepping away from characters, I must say I am pining for a Tellius stage now more than ever. The possibilities are bountiful.

It would be kind of wild to fight on that level of the Tower of Guidance where you fought the Black Knight. The battle takes place where Ike and the Black Knight fought, and on the other side of the barrier we can see the heroes of Radiant Dawn fighting the Disciples of Order.
There's totally gonna be a Radiant Dawn based stage for the Wii U

Hong

The Strongest
Anyone can be next Roy or Ike, anyway.

Ike, even though he had an actual game, still honestly had barely more than Roy's non-existent fans before his Smash debut. That was the nature of Fire Emblem prior to Awakening, but at least to Ike's credit, Fire Emblem was now known internationally. Everyone was thirsty for any new character they could get.

You can bring back Roy. Put in all this effort to make a new character, who plays unlike anyone else. Please what is probably an overstated number of people who don't even know who he is or cared about his game, and are content to just get "Roy" even though he won't be the Roy they remember.

Or you can put in the effort to add someone that people actually know about. Not only does it please their fan base, but they will get just as many if not more people who have never heard of the character before and find themselves madly in love.

At least Mewtwo has a standing for both Smashers and pop culture alike, and had a play style that was completely original to begin with.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
At this point there's really no objective reason to support any of the remaining FE candidates. None of them really have any merits that make any of them stand out objectively from each other, so it's really up to personal preference which character to support. Given the choice between Chrom and Roy, I'd take Roy due to at least having visual diversity among the FE cast, as well as wanting to see him more fleshed out as a unique glass cannon. (His P:M incarnation is a good start).

That said, I think Chrom is more likely due to the Sal leak. Could be wrong, but it's unlikely, and I doubt we'd get more than 3 FE characters.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the Sal Leak helps for sure, but Chrom merits an inclusion regardless.

If not just for being the star of Awakening, which deserves representation.

The Sal Leak makes it so that Chrom is the most likely choice though, as Robin and Anna could work too.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think the Sal Leak helps for sure, but Chrom merits an inclusion regardless.

If not just for being the star of Awakening, which deserves representation.
It already has representation in the form of Arena Ferox, and probably at least one Assist Trophy. Who says there needs to be a playable character from Awakening to represent it?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Anyone can be next Roy or Ike, anyway.

Ike, even though he had an actual game, still honestly had barely more than Roy's non-existent fans before his Smash debut. That was the nature of Fire Emblem prior to Awakening, but at least to Ike's credit, Fire Emblem was now known internationally. Everyone was thirsty for any new character they could get.

You can bring back Roy. Put in all this effort to make a new character, who plays unlike anyone else. Please what is probably an overstated number of people who don't even know who he is or cared about his game, and are content to just get "Roy" even though he won't be the Roy they remember.

Or you can put in the effort to add someone that people actually know about. Not only does it please their fan base, but they will get just as many if not more people who have never heard of the character before and find themselves madly in love.

At least Mewtwo has a standing for both Smashers and pop culture alike, and had a play style that was completely original to begin with.
Roy had a game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It already has representation in the form of Arena Ferox, and probably at least one Assist Trophy. Who says there needs to be a playable character from Awakening to represent it?
Well it's probably the most important game in the series, not necessarily canonically but for the fact that it is probably the best selling, and, I keep saying this but it's true, it saved the series.

With the recent representation of new games (Greninja, Rosalina) it's certainly likely that Awakening hops onto the bandwagon too, since it's one of the 3DS's biggest games.

It's importance to FE warrants more than a stage and an assist IMO.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Technically, that argument could be made about any game, really. A lot of people thought X and Y could get by with just a stage or two and some Pokeball Pokemon, and we'd just get Mewtwo back instead. We still got Greninja, though.

Considering the success of Awakening, and how an Awakening rep of some sort is a pretty popular character request, I don't really see a reason not to have one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The exact same thing could have been said about certain other games such as Pokemon X and Y, it could have been represented just fine with pokeball pokemon, stages and Mega Evolution for the veterans, and yet here we are with Greninja as a playable character.

Awakening has also been a very successful game for the 3DS and one that helped the series out very well. Besides personal dislike for its characters, I don't really see any reason why Sakurai wouldn't give it a playable character.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well it's probably the most important game in the series, not necessarily canonically but for the fact that it is probably the best selling, and, I keep saying this but it's true, it saved the series.
And yet Ike got in, despite his games having helped nearly kill the series. IMO sales aren't as big of a deal as *insert Awakening character here* supporters claim.

Edit: Also, "most important game in the series?" That's a bold claim. more important than the game that started the series? More important than the game that introduced the weapon triangle, skills, and a pairing system? More important than the first game to be released internationally AND that introduced the concept of a player-named tactician character? And because of what, the fact that it sold more?
With the recent representation of new games (Greninja, Rosalina) it's certainly likely that Awakening hops onto the bandwagon too, since it's one of the 3DS's biggest games.
I get the Greninja comparison, but the Rosalina comparison is invalid. It's not like Rosalina was just in SM3DW and nothing else. She's been a supporting character in a number of games and has started to become a recurring face in the spinoffs. Chrom still has just the one game.
It's importance to FE warrants more than a stage and an assist IMO.
And that's the rub, isn't it? It's your opinion that sales/recency/whatever mean that an Awakening representative is a necessity. It's my opinion that they aren't. In this case, it really doesn't matter.
Technically, that argument could be made about any game, really. A lot of people thought X and Y could get by with just a stage or two and some Pokeball Pokemon, and we'd just get Mewtwo back instead. We still got Greninja, though.
Yeah. And? We didn't need Greninja. At this point, we don't "need" any particular rep. Most of the bases are covered as far as "must-have" characters.

Keep in mind, I THINK CHROM IS HAPPENING. I just don't see how the usual reasons people give for why he'll be in are reasons I should support him.

Edit: Also, to all the people bringing up Greninja, keep in mind that TPC has more control over their IP than devs like IS due to being second-party.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Listen, guys, I am glad Ike got confirmed today. I like Ike better than Chrom, but that being said, I also really like Chrom as well. he only reason my support for Chrom wasn't 100 % was because I feared he might replace Ike. But clearly, this isn't the case. I have good reason to support Chrom as well, because I think Ike's reveal BOLSTERS Chrom's chances.

Why? Because having Marth and Ike both revealed sets up the perfect scenario for a trailer. Also, with Ike being even more bulky than before, further contrasting him from Marth, having Chrom as a middle ground with a unique playstyle to his own is not far fetched at all. Also, consider how much Chrom has going for him. He's the star of the MOST popular Fire Emblem of all time, one which saved the series. He's the first LORD many people outside the FE fanbase got to know, increasing the fanbase overall. ARENA FEROX is a stage in the 3DS version. TIKI's trophy was revealed with AWAKENING MUSIC playing in the backround during the direct. On the Japanese Smash site, Marth's link goes to New Mystery of the Emblem, Ike's goes to Radiant Dawn, what's missing? AWAKENING, or KAKUSEI (Awakening's Japanese name). Intelligent Systems referred to Ike in Brawl, so why wouldn't they refer to Chrom, the lord of the game which could have been the last of the series, when his game actually ended up saving it? Chrom also appears in Monster Hunter and will play a role in the upcoming crossover Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

And lastly, the BIGGEST thing going for Chrom is the Gematsu/Sal Romano leak. Sal Romano has had a 100% clean record with the newcomer's he leaked, INCLUDING Wii Fit Trainer, who no one predicted. He also got Villager, which is also smething to consider, since Sakurai said that he didn't add an AC rep in Brawl because of AC's peaceful nature. Then, he called MegaMan, Greninja, and Little Mac. This leak for me seals Chrom's fate of becoming a destined fighter in Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Listen, guys, I am glad Ike got confirmed today. I like Ike better than Chrom, but that being said, I also really like Chrom as well. he only reason my support for Chrom wasn't 100 % was because I feared he might replace Ike. But clearly, this isn't the case. I have good reason to support Chrom as well, because I think Ike's reveal BOLSTERS Chrom's chances.

Why? Because having Marth and Ike both revealed sets up the perfect scenario for a trailer. Also, with Ike being even more bulky than before, further contrasting him from Marth, having Chrom as a middle ground with a unique playstyle to his own is not far fetched at all. Also, consider how much Chrom has going for him. He's the star of the MOST popular Fire Emblem of all time, one which saved the series. He's the first LORD many people outside the FE fanbase got to know, increasing the fanbase overall. ARENA FEROX is a stage in the 3DS version. TIKI's trophy was revealed with AWAKENING MUSIC playing in the backround during the direct. On the Japanese Smash site, Marth's link goes to New Mystery of the Emblem, Ike's goes to Radiant Dawn, what's missing? AWAKENING, or KAKUSEI (Awakening's Japanese name). Intelligent Systems referred to Ike in Brawl, so why wouldn't they refer to Chrom, the lord of the game which could have been the last of the series, when his game actually ended up saving it? Chrom also appears in Monster Hunter and will play a role in the upcoming crossover Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

And lastly, the BIGGEST thing going for Chrom is the Gematsu/Sal Romano leak. Sal Romano has had a 100% clean record with the newcomer's he leaked, INCLUDING Wii Fit Trainer, who no one predicted. He also got Villager, which is also smething to consider, since Sakurai said that he didn't add an AC rep in Brawl because of AC's peaceful nature. Then, he called MegaMan, Greninja, and Little Mac. This leak for me seals Chrom's fate of becoming a destined fighter in Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS.
Eh, no offense, but most of the majority of what you said there, minus the part about the leak, could apply to Robin as well.

Just pointing that out.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Eh, no offense, but most of the majority of what you said there, minus the part about the leak, could apply to Robin as well.

Just pointing that out.
Do you really think that Robin is as recognizable as Chrom... y'know, maybe because he's a CUSTOMIZABLE Avatar character? Plus, we already have Villager, and to a lesser extent, the Wii Fit Trainer. Of course, Robin could happen, but then again, I'm basing my entire post earlier on Sal Romano, which believe in 100%, and as you even said, Robin cannot be applied to that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Do you really think that Robin is as recognizable as Chrom... y'know, maybe because he's a CUSTOMIZABLE Avatar character? Plus, we already have Villager, and to a lesser extent, the Wii Fit Trainer. Of course, Robin could happen, but then again, I'm basing my entire post earlier on Sal Romano, which believe in 100%, and as you even said, Robin cannot be applied to that.
Well, I can't argue with your belief of the Gematsu leak. However, I would say that Robin is pretty recognizable to those who actually played Awakening. Those would be the people who actually want an Awakening character in, so I don't think you can use recognizability as a significant point against Robin. Especially since, as you said, we already have Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Well, I can't argue with your belief of the Gematsu leak. However, I would say that Robin is pretty recognizable to those who actually played Awakening. Those would be the people who actually want an Awakening character in, so I don't think you can use recognizability as a significant point against Robin. Especially since, as you said, we already have Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in.
Also like marth and roy in melee a character doesn't have to be recognizable to get in
How about a sword and magic wielding character?
I'd prefer full magic, well actually I'd like to be able to switch between the 2 with the down B but that ship has completely sailed

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
People coupling Wii Fit Trainer with any other character.

The trainer is what is basically a talking user interface. That is far and away from anyone else. The only curve ball we have seen in the same league was R.O.B., who aside from Mario Kart, was a peripheral.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Someone tell me why Roy deserves to come back and deserved to ever be in smash to begin with.

Please.
Ok, here's what I have...

- Highly requested in both Japan AND in the West. There were also some polls done some about cut characters some time ago: http://smashboards.com/threads/roy.324203/page-25#post-15647046 Thanks SSBF for the pics. Yeah, these polls were constructed a long time ago, but they're still interesting to look at for the heck of it
- More recognition than Chrom (Melee sold a crap more than Awakening). Roy ain't no "nobody"
- FE6 big impact on series (at least looking at it form a Japan's perspective). Can be considered a game that revived the series, and included many staple elements
- Could be an easy character to implant if going the semi-clone route. If not, then, the SoS has many characteristics and properties that could make Roy uniquely revamped
- More visually appealing than Chrom (hell, anyone else for the matter. Why? Cuz idk any other Lord/character that took some inspiration from both Ike and Marth)
- Planned for Brawl. Okay, I don't look too deep into this. But, Sakurai was fine with having a character like Roy who wasn't recent at the time. Sakurai didn't let Roy's insignificance stop him from returning (external factors did). Times are different, yes, which is why Sakurai may not consider Roy. Or he may, we don't really know
- Higher up at IS stated that remaking FE6 would give Roy a chance to be properly introduced in the West. Whether that remake is ever going to happen, idk, but if Roy's in, I think that remake will have a good chance at being green-lit
- TEH PHIR3!!

Whether Roy has importance in the FE series or not is doesn't matter that much. Sakurai planned to have him in Brawl, which he didn't care about Roy being insignificant at the time.

Honestly, many characters have their reasons for being included. Like Roy. And Chrom. And Robin. And Anna and I'd like to say Tiki but gosh darn it. Also this
At this point there's really no objective reason to support any of the remaining FE candidates. None of them really have any merits that make any of them stand out objectively from each other, so it's really up to personal preference which character to support. Given the choice between Chrom and Roy, I'd take Roy due to at least having visual diversity among the FE cast, as well as wanting to see him more fleshed out as a unique glass cannon. (His P:M incarnation is a good start).

That said, I think Chrom is more likely due to the Sal leak. Could be wrong, but it's unlikely, and I doubt we'd get more than 3 FE characters.
is basically my stance as well. As well as the leak.

But yeah, I'd really love to see Roy revamped and go the glass cannon route. Make him spew out flames everywhere and BURN EVERYTHING BWAHAHAHA!!

*ahem*

Oh yeah, glad to see Ike return, more so revealed before Chrom (assuming he's in). Would have been all hell if Chrom got revealed before.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Ok, here's what I have...

- Highly requested in both Japan AND in the West. There were also some polls done some about cut characters some time ago: http://smashboards.com/threads/roy.324203/page-25#post-15647046 Thanks SSBF for the pics. Yeah, these polls were constructed a long time ago, but they're still interesting to look at for the heck of it
- More recognition than Chrom (Melee sold a crap more than Awakening). Roy ain't no "nobody"
- FE6 big impact on series (at least looking at it form a Japan's perspective). Can be considered a game that revived the series, and included many staple elements
- Could be an easy character to implant if going the semi-clone route. If not, then, the SoS has many characteristics and properties that could make Roy uniquely revamped
- More visually appealing than Chrom (hell, anyone else for the matter. Why? Cuz idk any other Lord/character that took some inspiration from both Ike and Marth)
- Planned for Brawl. Okay, I don't look too deep into this. But, Sakurai was fine with having a character like Roy who wasn't recent at the time. Sakurai didn't let Roy's insignificance stop him from returning (external factors did). Times are different, yes, which is why Sakurai may not consider Roy. Or he may, we don't really know
- Higher up at IS stated that remaking FE6 would give Roy a chance to be properly introduced in the West. Whether that remake is ever going to happen, idk, but if Roy's in, I think that remake will have a good chance at being green-lit
- TEH PHIR3!!
You forgot:
-would give much-needed shota representation.

:troll: :troll: :troll:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I'm thinking Ike was revealed before E3 to set up the trailer for chrom, marth and ike are fighting, chrom intrupts, blah blah blah, then gameplay. Just saying I'm thinking at E3 we'll get Chrom, Palutena (or he'll just tease her again) and then Pac-Man

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I do love Chrom (and can't fathom why people like Roy more than he, outside of his Smash appearances. I mean what the hell? How could anyone like Roy if they've played his game?)

Anyway, other than Chrom, FemRobin and Anna are also excellent choices, and I'd take any of them.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I do love Chrom (and can't fathom why people like Roy more than he, outside of his Smash appearances. I mean what the hell? How could anyone like Roy if they've played his game?)

Anyway, other than Chrom, FemRobin and Anna are also excellent choices, and I'd take any of them.
I'd prefer robin with both genders selectable and I'd prefer if they called them the tactician like how they didn't call pokemon trainer red

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
No, really though. The sheer amount of crap Ike fans had to put up with, between the oh-so--overly-smug pricks that seem to comprise 80% of Chrom's fanbase and even suggestions as ridiculous as "Ganondorf with a Sword should get Ike's moveset" and "Greninja's Final Smash looks Great Aether-esque IKE DISCONFIRMED", I'm going to take my vindication with a nice big swig of iced coffee and savor it, thanks.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
I've been lurking around on the fire emblem character discussion threads for months, and now that Ike has been revealed, I feel compelled to say something.

I find it incredibly odd that no one ever really discusses the possibility of a tag-team duo as a character to represent Awakening, and I wonder if it's because a lot of people haven't actually played through the game.

Everything about Awakening revolves around pairing up and duality:
- From a gameplay perspective, the big new feature of Awakening is the Pair Up System, which allows for two characters to team up and engage in dual battles. Everything in the game is built around this mechanic.
- Awakening has a diverse support/marriage system in which almost every character can develop support bonuses with almost every other character, and most male characters and most female characters can marry and have children, which encourages the player to pair everyone up. FE4 was the only other game to do this.
- The ability to recruit children characters from the future creates two generations of characters in the game.
- Even the structure of the game is split into two halves.
- The storyline in Awakening revolves around duality, with the whole "the bonds we share are more powerful than anything" being the central theme (this is even more apparent in the ending).

To me, it seems very likely that the Awakening representative would be a pair of characters fighting together with the lead character being the primary damage dealer/taker and the support character providing assistance. I mean, the entire game revolves around the dual support system. It just seems like a super obvious way to create a unique Smash character, rather than having just Chrom or just Robin or just Lucina.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675

Was just about to like your post... Why FEM Robin?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I've been lurking around on the fire emblem character discussion threads for months, and now that Ike has been revealed, I feel compelled to say something.

I find it incredibly odd that no one ever really discusses the possibility of a tag-team duo as a character to represent Awakening, and I wonder if it's because a lot of people haven't actually played through the game.

Everything about Awakening revolves around pairing up and duality:
- From a gameplay perspective, the big new feature of Awakening is the Pair Up System, which allows for two characters to team up and engage in dual battles. Everything in the game is built around this mechanic.
- Awakening has a diverse support/marriage system in which almost every character can develop support bonuses with almost every other character, and most male characters and most female characters can marry and have children, which encourages the player to pair everyone up. FE4 was the only other game to do this.
- The ability to recruit children characters from the future creates two generations of characters in the game.
- Even the structure of the game is split into two halves.
- The storyline in Awakening revolves around duality, with the whole "the bonds we share are more powerful than anything" being the central theme (this is even more apparent in the ending).

To me, it seems very likely that the Awakening representative would be a pair of characters fighting together with the lead character being the primary damage dealer/taker and the support character providing assistance. I mean, the entire game revolves around the dual support system. It just seems like a super obvious way to create a unique Smash character, rather than having just Chrom or just Robin or just Lucina.
People know of it, and some around here even support it. The people who don't, consider it redundant due to Ice Climbers, and saps away their originality.

Plus, not a lot of people like the mechanic because of how broken it is and how easy it makes the game, in all honesty.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Pair Up was literally the worst thing to happen to a Fire Emblem game. Awakening is sometimes still too easy without it. I wouldn't want to see it in Smash.
I totally agree with this. I hate the pair up mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom