• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
It's pretty embarrassing for the artist that that's what most people thought.

(he doesn't have a sword hand, the artist just sucks)
That artist actually did the character art for FE6.

The FE13 Ike picture honestly looks like maybe he rushed it, messed up with some of the proportions, didn't feel like redoing them and just finished it.. Just the impression that I get from it..

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ike having a sword arm would make moves like Aether and Eruption even cooler to watch. :troll:

(Really, how often do you see someone throwing his hand into the air and coming down with it?)

Hong

The Strongest
Anyone else think Fire Emblem should stick to handhelds?

It's a very personal experience. Everyone has very personal values for each character... that is why you have so many to choose from. To you, it can be some random green haired anime girl. To me, it's Nephenee of the Crimean militia... a fierce warrior who has BEASTED the battlefield on several occasions. Sure the consoles have more processing power, but aside from that I think it's better for both the developer and the players if they design around a portable experience. It's much more affordable proposition for the developers, and honestly they will sell WAY more copies this way. Especially in Japan with how well the DS family has performed.

If anything, Advance Wars would be better for consoles. I know they tried the whole Battalion Wars thing, but that doesn't count. They absolutely butchered the presentation and did not at all attempt to replicate what made the series fun. If they used the cute art style and utilize the simple mechanics, they could produce a fun experience for a relatively small development cost. What's more is they could actually deliver decent multiplayer on consoles. Unlike with Fire Emblem, you don't control characters you are particularly attached to. The soldiers in Advance Wars are made to die. Two players can reasonably take turns controlling armies on one big screen.

A few things spurred these thoughts. The first would be this comic. The other would be the recent release of Advance Wars on Wii U Virtual Console. It just feels better for some reason.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332

It's a very personal experience. Everyone has very personal values for each character... that is why you have so many to choose from. To you, it can be some random green haired anime girl. To me, it's Nephenee of the Crimean militia... a fierce warrior who has BEASTED the battlefield on several occasions. Sure the consoles have more processing power, but aside from that I think it's better for both the developer and the players if they design around a portable experience. It's much more affordable proposition for the developers, and honestly they will sell WAY more copies this way. Especially in Japan with how well the DS family has performed.

If anything, Advance Wars would be better for consoles. I know they tried the whole Battalion Wars thing, but that doesn't count. They absolutely butchered the presentation and did not at all attempt to replicate what made the series fun. If they used the cute art style and utilize the simple mechanics, they could produce a fun experience for a relatively small development cost. What's more is they could actually deliver decent multiplayer on consoles. Unlike with Fire Emblem, you don't control characters you are particularly attached to. The soldiers in Advance Wars are made to die. Two players can reasonably take turns controlling armies on one big screen.

A few things spurred these thoughts. The first would be this comic. The other would be the recent release of Advance Wars on Wii U Virtual Console. It just feels better for some reason.
I actually would like to see more home console FE games, in my honest opinion. Mostly for my biased reason of having more fun playing PoR and RD. Than Awakening, and the gba FEs. Then again, it is only a matter of opinion, I just don't want it to be exclusively handhelds. Plus, who wouldn't want to play a great turn based strategy in HD.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.

Hong, your example of Fire Emblem being a personal opinion used a console game, silly. *shakes head* I see your point, though. I personally don't actually care where I play the next Fire Emblem so long as I can connect to the characters better again. I want to like more than just Lucina, Severa and Gerome next time around.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Well, looking at the direction the series is going with FE12 and FE13 - customizable avatars and marriage, it does make for a very personal experience. And features like "Battle Save/Suspend" (you can pick it up anytime and play in short bursts) and that multiplayer is not the strong suit of the series, yeah, I'd agree that the series should be more hand-held based.

That said, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn did an amazing job of bringing Fire Emblem to full blown 3D, and I'm excited to see the HD visuals the Wii U can bring to the series. especially since Radiant Dawn improved a lot on PoR's gameplay, animations and pre-rendered cutscenes, I do want to see a Wii U Fire Emblem game.

Hong

The Strongest
At the very least, the Wii U gamepad would be nice. I liked the touch controls from FE11 and FE12. If not for touch controls, at the very least it would a convenient way of viewing things like item or terrain details.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You know, speaking of FE on the Wii U;

I feel like it'd be cool if they had the traditional battle map on the gamepad, and perhaps a 3D view of the characters/units on the TV screen. With it zooming closer to units when you click on them with the gamepad, before commanding them to move.

Sounds like that would look cool.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

I feel like it'd be cool if they had the traditional battle map on the gamepad, and perhaps a 3D view of the characters/units on the TV screen. With it zooming closer to units when you click on them with the gamepad, before commanding them to move.

*crosses fingers that they're actually doing this*

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I would just like a 3D Fire Emblem that actually takes advantage of the fact that it's in 3D.

It'll never happen because IS doesn't like change, but I can dream.

Hong

The Strongest
I just want to throw out there that being on a console did not make Path of Radiance what it was.

In fact, it arguably had the worst presentation out of any Fire Emblem to date, maybe taking second seat to Shadow Dragon. The battle animations were a major step-down from the GBA games. The audio technology was there... With the intro and a few tracks, we felt it. But for the early game, poor use of technology and honestly not the most profound soundtrack left some room for improvement.

Going onto Radiant Dawn, yeah. It certainly took advantage of its graphical capability, and it sounded great. On the other hand, development for that game was brutal. RD had a grand, grand vision, but was actually rushed. Which is a surprise, because we still got a lot of content.

If FE9 and 10 were on the DS, we honestly would not have lost much, and they would have sold more units. The GBA couldn't produce the best audio, but if Final Fantasy III and IV are any indication, the DS sure as heck could.

Now now, I will admit that Awakening had a good presentation. In fact, it was incredible. Easily the my favourite 3DS game in terms of sound and visuals (though Bravely Default is something else, I'll tell ya). The fan in me wants to see a Fire Emblem of RD's length in FULL HD. But being realistic, for Nintendo it may not be financially sound. :[

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I thought Kid Icarus: Uprising had the better sound and visuals, but then again those flying sections work really great in 3D and the soundtracks music complementing the actions makes it feel great. I felt that Fire Emblem: Awakening in comparison only had standout moments with those CGI cutscenes, while I felt everything else was very simplistic. The music tracks were good, but how the visuals were presented could of been better handled.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I just want to throw out there that being on a console did not make Path of Radiance what it was.

In fact, it arguably had the worst presentation out of any Fire Emblem to date, maybe taking second seat to Shadow Dragon. The battle animations were a major step-down from the GBA games. The audio technology was there... With the intro and a few tracks, we felt it. But for the early game, poor use of technology and honestly not the most profound soundtrack left some room for improvement.

Going onto Radiant Dawn, yeah. It certainly took advantage of its graphical capability, and it sounded great. On the other hand, development for that game was brutal. RD had a grand, grand vision, but was actually rushed. Which is a surprise, because we still got a lot of content.

If FE9 and 10 were on the DS, we honestly would not have lost much, and they would have sold more units. The GBA couldn't produce the best audio, but if Final Fantasy III and IV are any indication, the DS sure as heck could.

Now now, I will admit that Awakening had a good presentation. In fact, it was incredible. Easily the my favorite 3DS game in terms of sound and visuals (though Bravely Default is something else, I'll tell ya). The fan in me wants to see a Fire Emblem of RD's length in FULL HD. But being realistic, for Nintendo it may not be financially sound. :[
Keep in mind, though. PoR while seeming rather lack luster, was a huge transition from easily manipulable sprites to most likely hard to manage 3 dimensional models, environment, pre-rendered cutscenes and etc. So that's how I feel on the situation On the topic of RD being rushed, while being rushed there was a drastic improvement in overall design. There's no way to totally predict or prevent time constraints, so all I can say is hopefully it doesn't happen to the next FE game.

Plus, with the Wii U High Definition capabilities, and with hopefully way more development time, it could be the best FE, yet. Hopefully, without the balance, plot, and character presentation (There's a such thing as too quirky) flaws of Awakening.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'm curious. If you could pick any single fire emblem character to be in smash (even the ones who clearly won't make it) who would you pick? I would go with Ilyana from PoR and RD she was a BEAST in both of my games and was not just my strongest mage, but along with Mia and Haar, one of my three strongest Human units (besides the required Ike).

loganhogan

Smash Ace

They need to hire you now.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm curious. If you could pick any single fire emblem character to be in smash (even the ones who clearly won't make it) who would you pick? I would go with Ilyana from PoR and RD she was a BEAST in both of my games and was not just my strongest mage, but along with Mia and Haar, one of my three strongest Human units (besides the required Ike).
Eirika gets a mention since she's my first Lord, but Tiki honestly still wins out just for being Manakete. Maybe Myrrh instead since I prefer her design.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If I had to pick any single character to be in the game? Anna or Tiki. More Tiki because green hair and dragons.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Chrom :bee:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Anyone want to mention a few assist trophy ideas everyone here has come up with? For some reason I came up with Tharja.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Glass from FE7. The gods fear his name.

Serious answer: Probably one of the non-sword lords. Hector would be perfect. A mage would be nice too. There's no way Henry will be playable, but he's perfect assist trophy material.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Anyone want to mention a few assist trophy ideas everyone here has come up with? For some reason I came up with Tharja.
I'd really like to see Tharja as an AT. She's my Awakening wife and strongest character (that Nosferatu spam). Plus, an HD model of her would be interesting.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd go with Tiki for an assist trophy. Turning into a dragon, and setting the stage ablaze.

Hong

The Strongest
Too bad, you're going to get the most generic Lord ever and you're going to like it.

Because **** being original.
Xen-chan please stop. My Internet ears cannot take it.. ・゜゜・(/。\)・゜゜・.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom