• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The thing that I dislike about the Direct is that it has changed absolutely nothing regarding Chrom/Robin/Lucina that we didn't know before and it's not as if Greninja has any more effect on those three than Little Mac did.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Honestly Anna, Micaiah, or Female Robin are the tree FE reps I'd be fine with at this point. Robin and Anna can get in on there own, and Micaiah only needs Ike, who will probably be returning. I think it's time a FE girl gets added that is why I'm against Chrom. If Chrom is in AND they add a fourth FE rep being female I'd be ok with it, as long as it isn't Lucina.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
When they were showing customizable movesets... I noticed that one of Marth's customizable moves looked a lot like Ike's Side+B move.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I suppose I may regret this later but

Why not Lucina, exactly?
Well if Chrom is in, that would mean two awakening reps. So if Chrom was in I would want Anna or Micaiah. I don't think Lucina could get in without Chrom but Robin could. Since I don't want two Awakening Reps, and Lucina I feel can't get in without Chrom, I don't want Lucina. Plus she uses a sword like every other FE rep, Micaiah uses magic and Robin is a tactican. I forget what Anna is but I know she'd have a fresh move set also.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
When they were showing customizable movesets... I noticed that one of Marth's customizable moves looked a lot like Ike's Side+B move.
That would suck... I saw something similar indeed. Thought it was the Shield Breaker, but as launcher sort of attack.

If Ike will get cut though, I think I will rage.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I almost miss your messages since you don't quote me. And I don't think so because it's like having Micaiah without Ike which can't really happen. Sure Lucina is important but I don't think she's as important as Chrom or Robin.
... Micaiah could be in without Ike. Really, these different characters have no requirement to be in with or without each other. A lot of people expected Lyn to have a chance, but didn't think she couldn't be in without Eliwood. See?

Lucina is as or more important to Awakening's story than Chrom, anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Micaiah over Ike? Are you on a prescription?

Sorry am gonna obsess over Ike more than usual now that Sheik is back. So bear with me.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Well if Chrom is in, that would mean two awakening reps. So if Chrom was in I would want Anna or Micaiah. I don't think Lucina could get in without Chrom but Robin could. Since I don't want two Awakening Reps, and Lucina I feel can't get in without Chrom, I don't want Lucina. Plus she uses a sword like every other FE rep, Micaiah uses magic and Robin is a tactican. I forget what Anna is but I know she'd have a fresh move set also.
I don't see why you guys instantly think magic can make a character more unique. They could just as easily have Zelda-cloned moves as a swordsman could play like another. Robin could literally be Marth+Zelda if you think Sakurai wants to do more semi-clone/clone movesets. I think the characters can be unique no matter what, with their choice of weapon only slightly impacting that. You can have an axe user who has extremely similar moves to Ike, so why not hope for the best even out of similar weapons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am bitter cause Phantom IS Down B and I predicted everything right EXCEPT for solo Sheik. Should've been solo Impa. Even with the stupid generic bombs and generic ass looking ZSS-wanna be Down B attack.

Ugh... :facepalm:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So, I was completely against other Fire Emblem lords and characters being costumes, but with move customization being a thing I'm actually okay with it. If I can set Marth's moves on fire it's all cool.

On another note, I'm starting to doubt Ike a tiny bit, and if Chrom or Lucina are in would he be pushed to unlockable? Lots to think about.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
... Micaiah could be in without Ike. Really, these different characters have no requirement to be in with or without each other. A lot of people expected Lyn to have a chance, but didn't think she couldn't be in without Eliwood. See?

Lucina is as or more important to Awakening's story than Chrom, anyway.
Micaiah without Ike is as odd as Palutena/Zelda getting in without Pit/Link.

Ike was the star of Radiant Dawn, and was far more central to the story compared to Micaiah. In a sense, Ike is both a stepping stone and obstacle to Micaiah.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I don't see why you guys instantly think magic can make a character more unique. They could just as easily have Zelda-cloned moves as a swordsman could play like another. Robin could literally be Marth+Zelda if you think Sakurai wants to do more semi-clone/clone movesets. I think the characters can be unique no matter what, with their choice of weapon only slightly impacting that. You can have an axe user who has extremely similar moves to Ike, so why not hope for the best even out of similar weapons.
I wasn't talking about just moveset wise, I was also talking about representing Fire Emblem. I'm pretty sure some people who have never picked up a Fire Emblem game think all it has to offer are sword users, when that isn't the case at all.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I wasn't talking about just moveset wise, I was also talking about representing Fire Emblem. I'm pretty sure some people who have never picked up a Fire Emblem game think all it has to offer are sword users, when that isn't the case at all.
You know, I started playing Fire Emblem because of how cool Ike was. Even though I knew Marth was also from Fire Emblem, that didn't mean I thought everyone was sword users, or that FE was a weapons fighter, or anything of the sort. Smash takes a lot of creative liberties and whoever is going to be interested in Fire Emblem through Smash will maintain that interest regardless of if all of its reps have swords, lances, Dragonstones, tomes or what-have-you.

Besides, with Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer, I'm starting to think Sakurai's major criteria for inclusion is how much fun he'll have designing the moveset. That and for the lulz.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
You know, I started playing Fire Emblem because of how cool Ike was. Even though I knew Marth was also from Fire Emblem, that didn't mean I thought everyone was sword users, or that FE was a weapons fighter, or anything of the sort. Smash takes a lot of creative liberties and whoever is going to be interested in Fire Emblem through Smash will maintain that interest regardless of if all of its reps have swords, lances, Dragonstones, tomes or what-have-you.

Besides, with Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer, I'm starting to think Sakurai's major criteria for inclusion is how much fun he'll have designing the moveset. That and for the lulz.
Tharja confirmed

She stalks the enemy to death. :troll:

•Col•

Smash Champion
So people are finally starting to accept this? We're finally a step towards progress, humanity. =D

Joking, but seriously, Greninja's addition just falls in line with how I've felt all along; in that Sakura CAN NOT BE PREDICTED. I feel like he really tries to follow his gut instinct when it comes to game design(see: tripping; random non-canonical character movesets like ZSS). Not saying that this is particularly bad. In the end, it seems to mostly come down to what he thinks will be fun. Following his gut has worked for him for the most part at least, even if it seems to lead to a closed-minded approach to some things(see: Ridley 'too big' philosophy). But yeah, he's probably going to stick with it.

It's the only reason I don't think characters like Anna aren't completely out of the question. Also why I've been saying the deciding factor for Chrom is how Sakurai personally feels about him.

Pretty much any FE character's inclusion is probably going to come down to Sakurai's bias, imho. Honestly at this point, I wouldn't be 100% surprised if FE ends up with only 2 characters. But considering Sakurai himself has stated that he's a fan of the series, I'm expecting 3 or possibly even 4, seeing that Sakurai tends to play favorites..

As an aside to my thought process on... well.. Sakurai's thought process, I feel like Ike is going to return because purely from a gameplay perspective, I feel like Sakurai put some thought into his design for Brawl. Leading me to believe he has some attachment to the character. Again, mostly heresay regarding this, but it's just the sense I get. There's a chance Ike won't return, but I definitely feel like Sakurai wants/wanted him to stay, so in the end he'll probably show up.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Ike is the best thing Sakurai designed in my opinion, and I'll at least always be thankful for that, even if I disagree with a lot of his design philosophies re:Brawl.

Dude is so on the right track for Smash 4, though.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So people are finally starting to accept this? We're finally a step towards progress, humanity. =D

Joking, but seriously, Greninja's addition just falls in line with how I've felt all along; in that Sakura CAN NOT BE PREDICTED. I feel like he really tries to follow his gut instinct when it comes to game design(see: tripping; random non-canonical character movesets like ZSS). Not saying that this is particularly bad. In the end, it seems to mostly come down to what he thinks will be fun. Following his gut has worked for him for the most part at least, even if it seems to lead to a closed-minded approach to some things(see: Ridley 'too big' philosophy). But yeah, he's probably going to stick with it.

It's the only reason I don't think characters like Anna aren't completely out of the question. Also why I've been saying the deciding factor for Chrom is how Sakurai personally feels about him.

Pretty much any FE character's inclusion is probably going to come down to Sakurai's bias, imho. Honestly at this point, I wouldn't be 100% surprised if FE ends up with only 2 characters. But considering Sakurai himself has stated that he's a fan of the series, I'm expecting 3 or possibly even 4, seeing that Sakurai tends to play favorites..

As an aside to my thought process on... well.. Sakurai's thought process, I feel like Ike is going to return because purely from a gameplay perspective, I feel like Sakurai put some thought into his design for Brawl. Leading me to believe he has some attachment to the character. Again, mostly heresay regarding this, but it's just the sense I get. There's a chance Ike won't return, but I definitely feel like Sakurai wants/wanted him to stay, so in the end he'll probably show up.

About the four Fire Emblem characters, I agree with that. I think:
-Marth
-Ike
-Robin/Chrom
-Micaiah/Anna

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ike is the best thing Sakurai designed in my opinion, and I'll at least always be thankful for that, even if I disagree with a lot of his design philosophies re:Brawl.

One of the big reasons why I think Smash 4 looks so attractive right now is because of the fact that Sakurai isn't completely balancing the game by himself before. When he's designing a game, he seems to have a 'vision' for how it should be. The fact that he decided to make all balance decisions by himself for previous Smash games kinda goes to show this.

The fact that he relinquished that power for Smash 4 is actually kinda a big deal and shows he's more open to the opinion of others. I remember back when he was getting interviewed around last E3, he was actually asking interviewers what they would like to see in the game. He's removed tripping, accepting that people don't like the idea, even though he himself thought it would be fun. And then just look at the upcoming online features for Smash 4. He's definitely opening up more to what people want.

Anyway, regarding balance, now when he is coming up for ideas for a character, someone can actually tap him on the shoulder and go "Um, sir, having a really fast and strong character with godly priority for all his attacks while also having one of the best recoveries in the game is a really stupid idea" or "HELL YEAH GIVE IKE THAT PROJECTILE ATTACK IT'LL BE THE MOST BADASS THING EVER, WE'LL MAKE IT WORK". :)

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
With Sheik still staying herself even after separation, I think this helps favor the idea that Ike most likely won't be replaced by Chrom. So, even though there is a loss of a purple lizard at least Ike is steering clear from the chopping block.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He needs that shockwave in his moveset before anything else.
Yes this to. But I wouldn't mind seeing Ike double swinging Ragnell and Urvan for his Smash attacks. Think of Up Smash, but covering both sides by it being a double swipe? It could even have a sort of sweetspot in the middle, acting like Donkey Kong's Up Smash, but powered up.

At least hope Eruption is gone. But if Roy won't be in, I could see Ike keeping the attack.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Yes this to. But I wouldn't mind seeing Ike double swinging Ragnell and Urvan for his Smash attacks. Think of Up Smash, but covering both sides by it being a double swipe? It could even have a sort of sweetspot in the middle, acting like Donkey Kong's Up Smash, but powered up.

At least hope Eruption is gone. But if Roy won't be in, I could see Ike keeping the attack.
The last thing I want Ike to lose is his Up smash, it has the best coverage in the game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh no I didn't mean to remove it at all! I meant to make it a double swipe, with the same amount of coverage but from both sides!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Actually, I can easily say Marth is the best designed character in the series thus far.

To put it in prospective, he's one of the very few characters in Smash 4 that hasn't modified.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

I won't really say that. Peach, Fox, Marth all seem to be designed better.

Ike especially doesn't use some of the things he does in his games, like the projectile, and instead has Eruption that he's never been seen using. And Brawl Ike is a bit slow for his own good, his more power doesn't fully compensate for it.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Ike should still only keep his sword, however I think if Micaiah isn't playable, he should receive the power Yune gives him in Radiant Dawn as his final smash sine that cut scene was pretty cool. I think Ike should have a ranged attack too though, because the awesome part about Ragnell was that it could hit at a 1-2 range. If Ike was really the way he is in his games, he would be much better, since he is one of the faster units in his game, he shouldn't have been as slow as he is in Brawl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom