• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
What the **** is a Brawl speculation?
Like I've said before, people saying Chrom will be unique is much more similar to people saying Rosalina will be unique, not Toon Link.
Why Rosalina was called a clone:
-hair color and clothes
-title and series

Why Toon Link was called a clone:
-previous 2nd Link was a clone
-same character already on the roster, just a different version

If Chrom's name was Toon Marth, you'd have a point. But you don't.

A 2nd "Blonde Princess from Mario" ended up very unique. I can't believe she was called Cosmic Peach...
So can "another Blue-hared lord from Fire Emblem"
Another Link would be "the 3rd version of the same character on 1 roster"

Rosalina's case=Chrom's case

Chrom's case=/=Toon Link's case

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Listen, being Rosalina and Mega Man levels of unique wasn't really a necessary condition for inclusion at that time.

We had Toon Link, Lucas, and Wolf as newcomers, along with Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik and Dixie Kong planned.
Toon Sheik, Toon Zelda, and Dixie Kong were scrapped, so it hardly counts. Hell, I'd even argue Dixie would be more original then people give her credit for.

Also, you saying that Wolf and Lucas are clones shows that you've never touched the A button. I wouldn't even say they're semi-clones or whatever double standard kids are spewing out these days.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I know they aren't clones, but my point still stands.

The criteria and process of making newcomers is different this time, compared to pre-Brawl. Chrom may not have a great chance due to not bringing anything new to the table, but in the event that he does get into the game, he'll have something up his sleeve.

All we saw about Rosalina was for them to make it copy of Peach's playstyle and call it a day, and look how that turned out. Although admittedly Rosalina had more to work with.

All I'm saying that Sakurai must have thought of/seen something in Chrom to give him the coveted newcomer spot. I'll gladly eat crow if Chrom gets in and turns out to be clone/semiclone-ish. Hopefully I won't have to.

andimidna

Smash Master
Toon Sheik, Toon Zelda, and Dixie Kong were scrapped, so it hardly counts. Hell, I'd even argue Dixie would be more original then people give her credit for.

Also, you saying that Wolf and Lucas are clones shows that you've never touched the A button. I wouldn't even say they're semi-clones or whatever double standard kids are spewing out these days.
Agreed on Dixie, as she may have been planned as part of Diddy, so she isn't relevant to a clone discussion.

And... Wolf and Lucas ARE Semi-clones...
They're movesets are half-similar.
No more, no less.
Calling them full-on clones is ridiculous.
Calling them fully unique is ridiculous.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Every bloody character is a semi-clone by definition due to every character at least sharing one attack.

Also how come it's only certain characters and not others? I mean why the hell is Wolf a clone in any capacity yet Luigi can get away scot-free despite sharing a lot of attacks with Mario? Wolf shares like 3 attacks with other characters, and in a typical moveset there is technically 27 different attacks a character can make. Which is why I constantly say that people should really press the A button, because Wolf doesn't share the majority of his attacks with anyone else.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Like I've said before, people saying Chrom will be unique is much more similar to people saying Rosalina will be unique, not Toon Link.
Why Rosalina was called a clone:
-hair color and clothes
-title and series

Why Toon Link was called a clone:
-previous 2nd Link was a clone
-same character already on the roster, just a different version

If Chrom's name was Toon Marth, you'd have a point. But you don't.

A 2nd "Blonde Princess from Mario" ended up very unique. I can't believe she was called Cosmic Peach...
So can "another Blue-hared lord from Fire Emblem"
Another Link would be "the 3rd version of the same character on 1 roster"

Rosalina's case=Chrom's case

Chrom's case=/=Toon Link's case
In Rosalina's defense, she did show that she had her own unique set of magical capabilities within the games. She appeared similar to Peach, but she had her own abilities.

Chrom, on the other hand, looks similar to Marth and Ike and has the same abilities as them.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know better than I do.
I just don't see much distinction between Marth and Roy's playstyle, but I don't usually use FE characters too often.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, yeah, like I've said before, you can't really play Roy like Marth.

Though, if Chrom did reprise the idea of Roy's sword being stronger in the center and the higher falling speed, I suppose it can be better implemented with a moveset that better complements a close combat sort of style better, because I feel as though Roy's clone status will prevent him from being changed drastically. A basic example is having attacks that can drag the opponent into range of the sweetspot.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm not expecting all "unique" newcomers unlike mostly everyone else. Sure, they showed off some great original newcomers, yet the same was with Brawl in reveals, the semi clone newcomers were either shown really late or not shown at all. I just think that expecting all newcomers to not even be close to a semi-clone is too high expectations. I'm not saying that there will be a lot of semi-clonish characters, I'd say approx. 2-4 semi-clonish characters.

So if anyone might be a semi-clone in Smash 4, I would go with Chrom as a likely candidate, but not certain

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm not expecting all "unique" newcomers unlike mostly everyone else. Sure, they showed off some great original newcomers, yet the same was with Brawl in reveals, the semi clone newcomers were either shown really late or not shown at all. I just think that expecting all newcomers to not even be close to a semi-clone is too high expectations. I'm not saying that there will be a lot of semi-clonish characters, I'd say approx. 2-4 semi-clonish characters.
If you had said that in a disrespectful way, I would have thought you were Saturn in disguise :p

-----------------

Anyways, just spent like an hour making an argument for Tiki playable in the RTC thread.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If you had said that in a disrespectful way, I would have thought you were Saturn in disguise :p

-----------------

Anyways, just spent like an hour making an argument for Tiki playable in the RTC thread.
Luckily I wasn't trying to be disrespectful...

Anyways, do you think there's a possibility for a FE character to be shown during the Smash Direct.

andimidna

Smash Master
Luckily I wasn't trying to be disrespectful...

Anyways, do you think there's a possibility for a FE character to be shown during the Smash Direct.
It's the next most likely thing after Palutena in the Smash Direct.
If he posts a pic of the Awakening stage in the next few days, I'll be almost certain it will involve Chrom.
It could easily be Shulk, Dixie, Isaac, Andy, Takamaru, Ridley, Robin, or Miis too though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Tuesday could be the day when the most fierce and unforgiving of Smash debates could rest in peace until the next Smash game.

We've seen a huge number of characters being throw around - Ike, Roy, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Anna, Lyn, Tiki, Tharja, Frederick and whatnot. The fates of good number of them will be clear by 8th/9th April. In the meantime, vouch for your favourite characters, amp up the hype to eleven, and get ready for the day of judgement!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Tuesday could be the day when the most fierce and unforgiving of Smash debates could rest in peace until the next Smash game.

We've seen a huge number of characters being throw around - Ike, Roy, Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Anna, Lyn, Tiki, Tharja, Frederick and whatnot. The fates of good number of them will be clear by 8th/9th April. In the meantime, vouch for your favourite characters, amp up the hype to eleven, and get ready for the day of judgement!
I will continue to vouch for Robin until Chrom comes in and confirms that nothing can change.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Whatever, just reveal Ike.
This.

I guess my whole problem with the idea that Chrom would automatically be a clone based on his hair color is very similar to that of the Star Fox Trio.

Each of them have different appearances. Marth, Ike, and Chrom, despite having similar hair color, all appear differently. Each of the Star Fox characters play differently, albeit sharing moves.

I can see why people would be upset with Chrom, but it isn't like Chrom is unlikely to happen. If there are 3 Star Fox characters with similar movesets in some facet or another, then it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Fire Emblem will be similar.

Personally, I think Chrom can be made to play differently than Marth and Ike without having to shoehorn other random weapons. But that's a discussion for a different time.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No, the problem with Chrom is that he's basically a composite character of Marth and Ike. His background is basically a combination of both Marth's and Ike's background, he's related to Marth, his design sports a similar build and style to Ike, is capable of using Aether like Ike, and wields Marth's signature weapon the Falchion.

With that design alone, it's very hard to see a character that is basically a copycat be completely unrelated.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Quite honestly, while he shares a build and sword and whatever else to the previous two, I don't necessarily think that will lead him to a doom of being a clone of Ike.

Again, back to the Star Fox example. Wolf, even the most unique from Fox, shares moves...but he still plays COMPLETELY different. That's kind of how I see Chrom.

While any swordsmen will swipe or stab or what have you, there are a few moves that I am imagining that I think might be pretty cool.

There's that one cutscene of the fight between Chrom and Lucina at Arena Ferox. He jumps into the air, and then spins around a he descends at an angle. If they made that his UP B (similar to Aether) it would still be different enough, at least to the degree that Ness and Lucas differ in their PK Fire. Make Chrom come down at an angle. Or make it a side special in a similar vein to Meta Knight except in the fashion he spins in the cutscene. (I'll be totally honest, as a Chrom advocate, this probably sounds way cooler to me, and probably looks way cooler to me the way my imagination is picturing it)

I know Chrom gets hate, but I think the idea of him sharing moves shouldn't be made out to be a Ridley sized issue. If he plays differently, then he'll still be a decent character in my opinion. I mean hey, I don't want an Ike clone. If that's the case, I'd rather just play as Ike. I think there is material to make him different from the other two, and yes, I do think he'll be in the game as playable. I don't want him to be a clone, and I will be upset if he's a complete clone, but if he's on the same level as Wolf is to Fox, or Lucas is to Ness, then I would be completely satisfied.

To add, I agree and understand your viewpoint @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero . It would certainly make sense to have that mentality, and based on what you're looking for in Smash, I can't say I blame you. However, I still maintain that you should wait and see what Sakurai might have in store for him should he be playable. I think there are some things that Chrom could do without having to lose the Falchion or what have you.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
But why should I simply be satisfied with Chrom? Why can't I defy what is mundane for something more?

It's why I'm a much bigger advocate for Takamaru and Shulk, or hell even within Fire Emblem I'd easily pick Robin over Chrom.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Get ready to be excited!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, here are some questions; what are the chances of us seeing a Fire Emblem newcomer in this Direct? What are the chances of us seeing Ike in the Direct? What kind of implications would seeing a newcomer without Ike create, or vice versa? What about if we don't see any Fire Emblem characters? Will there be a good chance for a newcomer down the road?

Oh! I don't think I quoted my post on to here yet on how Tactician could be my 3rd most wanted character if done the way I list.
I'll try to go find it.
And whatever happened to this?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So, here are some questions; what are the chances of us seeing a Fire Emblem newcomer in this Direct? What are the chances of us seeing Ike in the Direct? What kind of implications would seeing a newcomer without Ike create, or vice versa? What about if we don't see any Fire Emblem characters? Will there be a good chance for a newcomer down the road?
Well there are actually a good number of anniversaries coming up. Dark Dragon, Blazing Sword, Path of Radiance, and Awakening were all released in April in Japan, and Binding Blade was released at the end of March.

IDK about if a newcomer was shown instead of Ike....that'd be a bit odd, since up until now all series had only revealed newcomers once all the veterans had been revealed. Still not ruling out the possibility. Not sure what it'd mean for Ike...if it were Chrom, I think a lot of people would jump on it as "proof" that Ike isn't coming back, though I doubt that's really what it'd signify.

andimidna

Smash Master

And whatever happened to this?
Somebody noticed my post! :'D
I'll go find it.
Found it.
I now think it would be really awesome to see the Tactician in Smash Bros... As a Tactician.
Just imagine... He controls characters. It could be just like the Pokemon Trainer.
Before the match, you have to choose 3 out of the choices of units.
And for your benefit, you would generally pick characters that wield different weapons.
Robin or a generic Tactician design would be in the background moving like he's controlling the characters movements.
Only 3 out of the choices can be taken in per battle.
This is about as true to Fire Emblem as you can get to choosing a rep from the series.
Like PT, Tactician wouldn't fight. That's not his job, giving orders is.
The cast the character could choose could include SOME of the following:
Tacticians control lords...
Chrom & Lucina
Roy
Leif
Lyndis
Eliwood
Hector
Seliph
Ephraim & Eirika
And they also control the supporting characters...
Anna
Tiki
Tharja
Micaiah
Lissa
Palla, Catria, & Est

Implementing all of them seems unrealistic. However the gimmick is the Tactician himself, Seliph and Roy with the same moveset, or Micaiah and Tharja with the same moveset, Or Chrom & Lucina and Ephraim & Eirika with the same moveset wouldn't matter. It just means it would be poor strategy to take both units/ pairs of units.
Fire Emblem is a strategy game.
This seems so true to the game, even though I just started considering it... The idea is already in my top most wanted characters.
Tactician could be considered the main character of the series, easily.
And this is what he does.
There are many requested and deserving Fire emblem characters.. To pass up on certain ones would be a missed opportunity.

Have others already suggested this?
Seems like most people just want Robin as a Mage.
My #3 most wanted character concept after Midna and Palutena is Tactician, if he's like this :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*Glances to the left, then to the right*

....Malice for Smash. :troll:

*runs like hell*

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I'm not really sure why everyone is so confident we'll get a Fire Emblem character in the Nintendo Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom