• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's no insult that Nintendo puts Chrom in to advertise the newest FE game. It's something that has happened in the past.
I could EASILY say that it was an insult that Roy, a character that wasn't even featured in a game yet, got in over other deserving Smashers like Dedede or Diddy Kong.
So I mean...

And I can't stress enough how Fire Emblem representation has never been too interesting to begin with.
I just come here to have some quick debates. And because I like you guys.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Roy was a last minute clone character, so he wasn't planned from the start, and I'm pretty sure the likes of Diddy Kong and King Dedede couldn't be clones of Marth.

Also the insult is that Fire Emblem is a series that can provide with more but that's being denied.

D

Deleted member

Let's just drop all Fire Emblem content, including the stuff we've already seen for Smash Wii/U 3DS.

It will actually give "deconfirmed" an actual point.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I suggest we genderbend Chrom and name her ChroMarie and give her magic.

I'll name my future avatar that....

:facepalm: Shame on me!

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Make fun of how we're just now doing this, but the rules of this thread need to start being enforced.

Rules:
  1. Topics that are non-Fire Emblem related are forbidden.
  2. You can talk about anything Fire Emblem related if it had to do with SSB4.
  3. No Flaming allowed (it's obvious)
If you're just here to talk about FE games/characters in general please take it to the Fire Emblem thread in the Light House forum.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Warning Received
Dude with the Bow Lord idea:

You want the Lord, the main character who is forcefully deployed every chapter, to be in the worst Fire Emblem class that earns no XP on enemy phase and has to be extensively babied for experience.

For serious.

I'd rather not have a repeat of FE6, thanks.

Speaking of FE6, my love of Elibe has reawakened, and I must see more of it, bad translation/poor Lord or not. I'll also be giving Roy and FE6 as a whole a second chance through this. Would you good folk have any advice to make my pre-Milady levels easier? I know to favor Alance, Deick, Rutger, the healers and baby Roy. I do not use Marcus due to a personal rule against Jeigans (I don't want them making the game too easy. Think of it as similar to no pair up in Awakening.) But yes, any and all tips for FE6 are appreciated, though I do tend to screen unit use by how much I like the character. It's why I'm not using the mage you are given, and will be babying Lilina extensively.

If you're just here to talk about FE games/characters in general please take it to the Fire Emblem thread in the Light House forum.
Not to be argumentative, but we are discussing Chrom's character in the context of why he would/would not be a good choice for SSB4. It's been retread a few times and gotten heated, but it follows all three rules you stated.

My previous post doesn't, but I posted that pretty much the same time you did.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would probably be the most upset if Chrom came in over a handful of characters I actually want, and he doesn't bring anything to the table to compensate.

It's like, hey, you mention that being unique is important and yet you don't actually capitalize on it.

I would actually be less harsh if I get the stuff I want in first and foremost.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dude with the Bow Lord idea:

You want the Lord, the main character who is forcefully deployed every chapter, to be in the worst Fire Emblem class that earns no XP on enemy phase and has to be extensively babied for experience.

For serious.

I'd rather not have a repeat of FE6, thanks.

It'd be better than people ******** over blue-haired swordsmen for the umpteenth million time. :rolleyes:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
It'd be better than people *****ing over blue-haired swordsmen for the umpteenth million time. :rolleyes:
No, it wouldn't.

A mage lord. An axeman with merc stats who gets a dragon on promotion. A prince or princess of the "evil empire with dragonriders that invades another country" archetype is the main focus this time, who slowly comes to learn that their king or queen is in the wrong. Even a lancer like Ephraim. There's plenty of possibilities. But sticking the compulsory unit into a terrible class is a bad idea, no matter how you slice it.

D

Deleted member

I'm not really in the mood to argue over a trivial matter in regards to a series that I don't really give two ****s about.
Especially when said trivial matter is whether or not something is less irritating than the piss fights people get in over various blue-haired swordsman (with some red-haired thrown in). :rolleyes:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not to be argumentative, but we are discussing Chrom's character in the context of why he would/would not be a good choice for SSB4. It's been retread a few times and gotten heated, but it follows all three rules you stated.

My previous post doesn't, but I posted that pretty much the same time you did.
That's perfectly okay so long as it doesn't start any major flame wars. Other than that we ask that if it doesn't have to do with FE in Smash that it be taken to the FE thread in the Light House forum.

Granted we're over looking a LOT that has gone on in this thread, and in that regard, we have little remorse towards giving infractions right off the back.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
As per my MARE/ARMA side. . .
I must say that two handed weapons were by far the most prevalent medieval and renaissance weaponry, the longsword being foremost among them. Pikes, lances, poleaxes were all common in addition, and the way of the staff was integral for training for these weapon types, it would be nice if we got some rep who reflects all the systematic martial arts from that time period, I'm sure it would generate awesome gameplay stuff too.
As for axes, people actually used axes, maces, warhammer, what have you, and the like, but there are almost no manuals or works of them despite them appearing occasionally in accounts of battles (rarely, actually). The likely reason for this is because they required far less finesse to use 'properly', and a lot of things that would be learned with the ubiquitous sword would simply translate to them.
As for a sword and board, it was somewhat more common, but nobody used shields after the 14th century, bucklers and rondache replaced them.
Also, in armored combat, the primary method of fighting was grabbing your longsword by the ricasso and thrusting it into the weak points of the opponents armor. They actually grabbed the blade with their hands. Sword halving.
So, really, the knights in FE should have longswords, and lords shouldn't have those prissy inferior rapiers to deal with them (though they are thrusting, they were specifically designed to fight unarmored foes, and had trouble penetrating or wounding armored foes). Soldiers seriously need to be brought back with their polearms, and those should be the counters to mounted troops (the hooks on halberds were used in attempts to pluck the riders off from their soldiers, and pikes were super common around the 16th century).
Agh, what am I even talking about? This is FE, not real life.
Anyways, I was going to make some point about how a soldier lord would be super awesome in Smash, but I think everyone would agree with me that we need a polearm representative of some sort in Smash.

Edit: also.
*rolls eyes* Ah.
I'm not really in the mood to argue over a trivial matter in regards to a series that I don't really give two ****s about.
Especially when said trivial matter is whether or not something is less irritating than the piss fights people get in over various blue-haired swordsman (with some red-haired thrown in). :rolleyes:
Oh come on, you two, don't be pretentious jerks. :urg:

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Seriously. If FE were realistic, Archers would be the most OP units.
Aye. Most all manuals dealing with combat had large sections on morality and ethics, and the use of bows was frowned upon by the Church (Pope Innocent III at the 2nd Lateran council in 1139, 'banning' the use of crossbows and bows against Christians, but it was okay to use them against the infidels, a fact which I very much like). We (Catholics) have always tried to discourage the use of weapons and methods we viewed as. . . brutal, even though we highly encouraged self defense and the martial arts in other ways.
Also, you quoted improperly.
ALSO WHERE THE HECK ARE THE CROSSBOWS.
They were around even in 1139!!

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Aye. Most all manuals dealing with combat had large sections on morality and ethics, and the use of bows was frowned upon by the Church (Pope Innocent III at the 2nd Lateran council in 1139, 'banning' the use of crossbows and bows against Christians, but it was okay to use them against the infidels, a fact which I very much like). We (Catholics) have always tried to discourage the use of weapons and methods we viewed as. . . brutal, even though we highly encouraged self defense and the martial arts in other ways.
Also, you quoted improperly.
ALSO WHERE THE HECK ARE THE CROSSBOWS.
They were around even in 1139!!
It's a workaround. They were in Radiant Dawn but were not Str-dependent weapons and by the mechanics of the game thus inferior overall.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Crossbows where quite useful against flyers. Or well, pegasi. It basically gurantees you kill them. Which makes Pegasus Riders far less useful in Radiant Dawn I feel. They could also be used as less effective ranged weapons till about end of Part 3. I really liked giving Boyd one, but think Reavers would be a lot better if they could also have normal Bows... Not that throwing Axes are bad!

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Crossbows are scant enough to be managed easily. As always follows the don't get hit rule. Pegasi actually become a ton more useful because of the varying height level BS. Don't screw yourself out of using them. I brought all of Marcia, Tanith and Elincia with me to the final fight. Plus Jill, Haar, Oscar, Titania, Ilyana, Astrid and ... I forget. Ike, Sothe, Mickey, Sanaki obviously, I think I'm missing someone though.

So many characters, so little Smash representation. More than being a successful game designer, my dream would be getting to make an FE fighting game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
End game for me mostly was Ike, Boyd, Shinon, Soren, Mia, Haar, Nephenee, Elincia and a Laguz King; mostly either Caineghis or Tibarn / Naesala. Sometimes Kurtnaga to, for the heck of it.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This thread is for FE in Smash talk, if you wish to talk about the games/gameplay/character themselves please go to the Fire Emblem Discussion thread in the Light House.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
?? Has a Direct or something been announced or are you just hoping for some news today?
Well, a random character reveal tomorrow seems pretty likely, at this point. So might as well hope its whoever your favorite veteran happens to be.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I'm hoping either Ike or Snake, but expecting Yoshi or someone else that could be good reveal with Mario Party, or even nothing at all.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Want to know what I'd like to see? A Fire Emblem Lord that starts out exclusively as a healer until promotion. Would be really interesting to have a lord that starts out as a hindrance and becomes a threat late game.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Want to know what I'd like to see? A Fire Emblem Lord that starts out exclusively as a healer until promotion. Would be really interesting to have a lord that starts out as a hindrance and becomes a threat late game.
That would be cool... and challenging. I'd like a bit of a 'hardcore' element to be there from the beginning.

And in Smash 4 news, I'd love to see Chrom.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Next month will be so ****ing huge because of the large amount of Fire Emblem anniversaries at that time. Now it's down to Ike vs. Roy vs. Lucina Chrom as the potential reveals of any of them dates.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Next month will be so ****ing huge because of the large amount of Fire Emblem anniversaries at that time. Now it's down to Ike vs. Roy vs. Lucina Chrom as the potential reveals of any of them dates.
Maybe we can get a SSB4 Fire Emblem Month. Ike as a veteran reveal, and Anna or Chrom as a newcomer. Although, at this point, I doubt Anna.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can't picture any situation where Roy would be revealed before Ike. If Roy's in, I expect him to be one of the last characters revealed. Quite possibly even the exact last character. I could see Chrom getting revealed before Ike, but only if Ike becomes a secret unlockable character. Not sure if we should count anniversaries too much however.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I can't picture any situation where Roy would be revealed before Ike. If Roy's in, I expect him to be one of the last characters revealed. Quite possibly even the exact last character. I could see Chrom getting revealed before Ike, but only if Ike becomes a secret unlockable character. Not sure if we should count anniversaries too much however.
Roy could be revealed before Ike, but only if it was something like Mewtwo and Roy being revealed together, with Sakurai being all.. "Look who's back from Melee!" -laughter-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom