• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Seriously, though, I can't think of a notable villain that is not better off as an AT or boss. Not that the Black Knight or Camus couldn't be playable, but it seems kind of bogus to grab a villain from a series that stretches out its protagonists over 13 entries as it is.

We got a fine gallery of gods, demons, demon-gods, and screen-hogging dragons that could be fun to pop out of an Assist Trophy, but nothing that really fits into the fabrics of playability.

There are a number of villains that are liked due to their narrative, actions or back-story, but that doesn't really affect how they will function as a playable character. That is what trophies are for.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I remember it screwed over Nephenee in my first run of PoR, so I didn't even know she's supposed to great then...
Oh yeah, speaking of Nephenee and RNG spite.

Here's a picture comparing her to probably the worst Ike ever conceived.

Yes, even someone like Ike can get royally screwed over by the RNG. NO ONE IS SAFE.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Oh yeah, speaking of Nephenee and RNG spite.

Here's a picture comparing her to probably the worst Ike ever conceived.

Yes, even someone like Ike can get royally screwed over by the RNG. NO ONE IS SAFE.
I think I might have had that Ike on a recent playthrough.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Umm... Is it normal for Ike to hit level 20 by the time I beat Oliver's estate (Dukedom of Tanas)? Because that's what happened in my current (and first) playthough.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Umm... Is it normal for Ike to hit level 20 by the time I beat Oliver's estate (Dukedom of Tanas)? Because that's what happened in my current (and first) playthough.
That doesn't seem that odd. My Ike usually caps sometime during that 4-part chapter.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
That happens normally, for me, and you'll be glad when you finish the chapter.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I feel stupid for not realizing that units auto-promote on reaching Lvl 21. (>_<)
Are you referring to Ike's promotion?
Do you want to keep from spoilers (Not a huge one, but one that you're hinting at, and I probably gave it away:awesome: ) or not? If you don't care about spoilers I leave the answer in the spoiler tag below.
If I'm correct, you are at the Day Break chapter (Chapter 17) , which means that once you beat it you get to Ike's promotion. If not I might be confused with another chapter...

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was on "The Atonement" when Ike reached lvl 20.

I just beat Day Breaks when I posted that :awesome: Ike is a Lord now. So worry not, nothing was spoiled.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
First off, I'd like to say, I love Ike, and I would like to see him back.

Now if they were to add a new Fire Emblem character, then I'm going to have to say Lucina.

I have quite a few reasons to pick her.

1. She is a female character, this is the most important reason, ever since looking at Lyn in Brawl I wanted a female Fire Emblem character to play as, Chrom is too generic of a character, and I'm just going downright say it, it's because he's a guy character and we already have that with Marth, so put Lucina in instead because she's a chick.

2. I really like Lucina, and I'd really like to play as her in Super Smash Bros.

3. The female character should not always be the assist trophy, that's stupid, because they did that in Brawl, rather than, maybe adding a third FE character playable, Lyn had to be a Assist Trophy.

I'd like to see Marth and Lucina playable.

If Ike is removed I will miss him, but hey at least replace him with Lucina, not Chrom.

As for Assist Trophy, I'd like to see maybe Roy return as a cameo, or the Avatar, not Lucina, she should be playable.

TeamFlareZakk

1. Not Hulk Hogan.
2. A character's gender doesn't mean anything.
Not sure why your telling me that, because

1. Who cares about Hulk Hogan, he's old and not be discussed, and it was a joke because it's a pic of a old man.

2. Yes, it kind of does, I want Lucina, I'd use her, if they Chrom in, all he's good for is beating up, and the likes of Chrom replacing Ike, it's disgusting.

There is only only one way I'll accept Chrom as a playable character and that's if Lucina was a costume for Marth or Chrom, and then, only then if Chrom had the Lucina Costume, would I use him.

Other than that, I'm planning to beat up on Chrom in this game if he's adding.

Yeah, right on, @ Niko Mar Niko Mar Ike shouldn't have to be replaced!

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, though, I can't think of a notable villain that is not better off as an AT or boss. Not that the Black Knight or Camus couldn't be playable, but it seems kind of bogus to grab a villain from a series that stretches out its protagonists over 13 entries as it is.

We got a fine gallery of gods, demons, demon-gods, and screen-hogging dragons that could be fun to pop out of an Assist Trophy, but nothing that really fits into the fabrics of playability.

There are a number of villains that are liked due to their narrative, actions or back-story, but that doesn't really affect how they will function as a playable character. That is what trophies are for.
If you think about it
Robin/Tactician could be considered a villain.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If you think about it
Robin/Tactician could be considered a villain.
Not really, no.
Seriously I'm sick of people saying this. The Robin who is a main character is NOT a villain. S/he and Grima are completely separate people.

Hong

The Strongest
What's up with the Hulk Hogan picture?
Listen hun,

Yes, I agree that Lucina is a lovely character. She is almost up there with Elincia for well-written female characters within the series.
And yeah, I care. I am a massive feminist. If anyone doesn't like that, deal with it.
Yes. I agree that Smash Bros could feature more women on the roster.
I would gladly take Lucina over Ike, despite the fact Ike is undoubtedly the series' best protagonist.

But I don't think gender is a good reason for choosing a character addition to the roster.

We choose characters based on their merit of what experience they can deliver. This takes into account characters who may have more notoriety within the same franchise, the existing Smash Bros roster, and technical capability. Character gender is one of the LAST things we should be concerned with. Gameplay considerations come before all else. Lucina being a female character gives her an edge over Chrom, sure, but she was already a better choice than Chrom to begin with.

At the very least, being female should give credence when you have two or more characters of equal validity. Pokemon Trainer should have been female. Villager probably could have been default female. Robin, if included, should be female. I'm glad they chose the female Wii Fit Trainer, too. I might sound obnoxious, but really, it helps offset the roster. I hope these characters all have alternatives like WFT does with the male one.

If we get Lucina, I will take her as a replacement for Ike, or a third Fire Emblem representative if paired with Chrom. Aside from that, should Ike return, Robin is a superior Fire Emblem: Awakening candidate in many ways. Beyond that, the series has Anna and Tiki, two great character choices, who could be second or third Fire Emblem character choices.

TeamFlareZakk

Listen hun,

Yes, I agree that Lucina is a lovely character. She is almost up there with Elincia for well-written female characters within the series.
And yeah, I care. I am a massive feminist. If anyone doesn't like that, deal with it.
I would gladly take Lucina over Ike, despite the fact Ike is undoubtedly the series' best protagonist.

But I don't think gender is a good reason for choosing a character addition to the roster.

We choose characters based on their merit of what experience they can deliver. This takes into account characters who may have more notoriety within the same franchise, the existing Smash Bros roster, and technical capability. Character gender is one of the LAST things we should be concerned with. Gameplay considerations come before all else. Lucina being a female character gives her an edge over Chrom, sure, but she was already a better choice than Chrom to begin with.

At the very least, being female should give credence when you have two or more characters of equal validity. Pokemon Trainer should have been female. Villager probably could have been default female. Robin, if included, should be female. I'm glad they chose the female Wii Fit Trainer, too. I might sound obnoxious, but really, it helps offset the roster. I hope these characters all have alternatives like WFT does with the male one.

If we get Lucina, I will take her as a replacement for Ike, or a third Fire Emblem representative if paired with Chrom. Aside from that, should Ike return, Robin is a superior Fire Emblem: Awakening candidate in many ways. Beyond that, the series has Anna and Tiki, two great character choices, who could be second or third Fire Emblem character choices.
Obnoxious?

I think not, actually I rather enjoyed what you had to say, it was a good point, I didn't really know how to really say what made Lucina more of a better choice rather than bringing up the whole need more female characters thing.

Hopefully we do see Lucina, I think they could find a way to make her playable, even if she was a costume for either Marth or newly added Chrom if Chrom was added.

Also the whole Robin idea is good, like WFT, they could include a female version of Robin, I'll put that one down as my second choice.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Blue seems to be a huge color for the heroes of Fire Emblem... Is this because of the early days, when all the character sprites were Blue and Red? Cause' as much as I love the color, I kinda hate having 2-3 characters all with the same hair color. That's just me however, no real reason not to have them... but what do you think? Would y'all prefer a bit more esthetically diverse FE cast for SSB4?

Hong

The Strongest
Blue seems to be a huge color for the heroes of Fire Emblem... Is this because of the early days, when all the character sprites were Blue and Red? Cause' as much as I love the color, I kinda hate having 2-3 characters all with the same hair color. That's just me however, no real reason not to have them... but what do you think? Would y'all prefer a bit more esthetically diverse FE cast for SSB4?
In any event, I think the creator is aware of it. Just not sure if it's enough to dissuade him from a good choice.

Looking past hair colour, with the new Marth design, he has a lot of nice contrasting colours highlighted. He is still very blue, but at the very least the yellow stands out a lot. If we should get Lucina, she is best using a design that tries to stay more true to her Awakening design, and focus on the angular shapes and slender frame (even more so than Marth). Chrom, on the other hand, has less to work with. Certainly has his cape and lots of stark whites that could do to stand out.
Ike already stands out quite a bit, especially in Radiant Dawn, so he should be fine.

More diversity would be beneficial. It would be a shame if we had three or four blue-haired characters from Fire Emblem. A few characters can offer green or red, and Robin can be Robin.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
In any event, I think the creator is aware of it. Just not sure if it's enough to dissuade him from a good choice.

Looking past hair colour, with the new Marth design, he has a lot of nice contrasting colours highlighted. He is still very blue, but at the very least the yellow stands out a lot. If we should get Lucina, she is best using a design that tries to stay more true to her Awakening design, and focus on the angular shapes and slender frame (even more so than Marth). Chrom, on the other hand, has less to work with. Certainly has his cape and lots of stark whites that could do to stand out.
Ike already stands out quite a bit, especially in Radiant Dawn, so he should be fine.

More diversity would be beneficial. It would be a shame if we had three or four blue-haired characters from Fire Emblem. A few characters can offer green or red, and Robin can be Robin.
Right, right... just use that above post Sakurai, and we should turn out fine.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Plot twist! Robin is in, but he/she has blue hair only and exclusively uses the sword :troll:.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Plot twist! Robin is in, but he/she has blue hair only and exclusively uses the sword :troll:.
Just as bad as Captain Ganondorf and two Mother character who barely use their own techniques.

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I think my favorite FE argument of all time was when someone said Chrom was unique because he looked different and because of his personality.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Chrom, Marth, Ike, though I'd love to see Vailder in there (from Awakening). Robin (the hero) is out in my opinion because of his customization. Perhaps Grima will be an assist trophy...

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Listen hun,

Here we disagree. Swampasaur is right, gender has pretty much nothing to do with it. The characters you listed are fine as they are. More males play video games, so more people are comfortable playing as charcters they are familliar with. It would be akward to play a character of the opposite sex, so this way less people are uncomfortable. Robin won't make it for many reasons, but there is not reason to push for a female.

If Lucina makes it, perhaps it will be as a pair with Chrom. This is only a rumor, but many people believe it. Lucina could make it... but it would mean cutting Ike, and it would have nothing to do with being female. Chrom is obviously making it.

Hong

The Strongest
Here we disagree. Swampasaur is right, gender has pretty much nothing to do with it. The characters you listed are fine as they are. More males play video games, so more people are comfortable playing as charcters they are familliar with. It would be akward to play a character of the opposite sex, so this way less people are uncomfortable. Robin won't make it for many reasons, but there is not reason to push for a female.
Men who are insecure about playing female character are a stark minority, and butting heads with the amount of men who prefer to play as female character.

What is more is that is only relevant in a game where your character is central to the experience. Fighters and MOBAs in particular have people playing character female and male alike.

Hong

The Strongest
Maybe I'm weird, but I choose characters' genders based on which one I like better. I don't play exclusively as either gender.
That is how most people seem to function, unless it's a game where you make your own character like an MMO.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Men who are insecure about playing female character are a stark minority.
True, but I was trying to say that the male villager is just the default icon of Animal Crossing. I believe this is because, after all, the market for video games is primarily male. (Though animal crossing in particular has a large female audience). As an alternate costum, sure, include the female versions, but if there is not time, etc... I think the male versions should be default. They are more widely used.

My bad though, I made it sound like men were uncomfortable playing as females. I'm just saying, since male vs. female isn't a huge issue(in my opinion), default males would serve more players.

Maybe I'm weird, but I choose characters' genders based on which one I like better. I don't play exclusively as either gender.
It doesn't matter truthfully. Part of gaming is the story, and I feel more attached to the character if they resemble me the most.

I didn't word that as I had hoped. I would feel turned away by the villager if they were female more so than I would if they were male.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That is how most people seem to function, unless it's a game where you make your own character like an MMO.
I'm specifically talking about when I have an option to choose between male or female for the same character (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Awakening). For Pokemon, I typically choose the male because I like the design more. For Animal Crossing, I normally make one of each gender and focus on the male because it's basically supposed to be me. And for Awakening, I prefer the female Robin as a character to the male.

True, but I was trying to say that the male villager is just the default icon of Animal Crossing. I believe this is because, after all, the market for video games is primarily male. (Though animal crossing in particular has a large female audience). As an alternate costum, sure, include the female versions, but if there is not time, etc... I think the male versions should be default. They are more widely used.

My bad though, I made it sound like men were uncomfortable playing as females. I'm just saying, since male vs. female isn't a huge issue(in my opinion), default males would serve more players.
I'd disagree. I'd make the male/female default for avatars at about a 50/50 ratio. Give Pokemon Trainer and Villager male default and give Wii Fit Trainer and Robin female. (Though I'd honestly have made female the default for the Villager, myself.)

It doesn't matter truthfully. Part of gaming is the story, and I feel more attached to the character if they resemble me the most.
I can understand that, but there is no story to be heard of in Smash anyways, so why does it matter which version is the default when you have both versions anyways?

Also, please don't double or triple post. Instead, click the little edit button and add in what else you needed to say there. When responding to multiple people, just click to reply button on all of them and it should go down to the same post automatically.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Can we have the teams be customized colors? I'd much rather be red whilst slaughtering blue mooks with their blue hair and what have you.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Can we have the teams be customized colors? I'd much rather be red whilst slaughtering blue mooks with their blue hair and what have you.
Yea that would be cool, setting the colors of the player, enemy, other, and ally. Yet, then again, I got so used to the blue, red, green, and yellow, that I'll probably won't even change it, tbh.

Hong

The Strongest
Speaking of options, can we have touch control again?

Seriously. It was so big for RPGs and strategy games on the DS until they randomly stopped doing it for no reason.

A lot of people don't care. For those that do, it was a convenient and comfortable way of playing the game. I know they use the bottom screen for stats, but at least having the option would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom