• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Neither Yoshi nor anyone from FE has been revealed. Hrrm.

Hopefully the protracted silence since Diddy has been in anticipation of a super multi-character reveal, but who knows at this point.
What is Marth? Chopped liver?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
What are context clues?

A lot of people were expecting a March Yoshi reveal because of his game, but there hasn't been a Yoshi or other character reveal (in March/around when people were expecting another reveal).

•Col•

Smash Champion
What are context clues?

A lot of people were expecting a March Yoshi reveal because of his game, but there hasn't been a Yoshi or other character reveal (in March/around when people were expecting another reveal).
Sorry, where in your post did you indicate anything about a specific time frame? What context clues? (Clue: There aren't any)

Also, it isn't surprising at all. People come up with BS 'clues' or 'patterns' for character reveals or predictions, when in reality it's most likely just comes down to whatever Sakurai feels like doing. I sincerely doubt Sakurai plans out his Miiverse posts that far in advance, other than maybe a few 'big' reveals. Any reveals he's done for anniversaries or the like probably was an order/suggestion from the Nintendo higher-ups as a small publicity stunt to promote new games.

All that said, depending on if Sakurai is going to reveal the whole roster before the game is released or not, I'm still not even convinced if there is even going to be another FE reveal if he decides that he wants to keep some characters a secret until the game is out. Although I could see something like a 2nd trailer being released around E3 showcasing a new group of character reveals, with Ike or some other FE character in it.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Sorry, where in your post did you indicate anything about a specific time frame? What context clues? (Clue: There aren't any).
Don't care enough to argue about this.

Thread's been pretty dead lately, though. Funnily enough I'm not 100% sure that's a bad thing. There's only so many times you can say "I hope someone gets revealed soon/No your favored character sucks" before the discussion goes somewhat stale.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I want to see that concept of his Sword of Seals being stronger in the center being fleshed out better in some sort of way.

There should be one or two attacks that have a vacuum effect that can pull in the opponent and have just have enough time to quickly sync it into a powerful attack. Like for example, Roy's neutral attack would instead drag the opponent towards him, then he can quickly retaliate with either a throw or forward smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Think Roy would be one of the last characters revealed if he's in.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I think Roy has a chance of being a really good swordmage archetype if he makes it in over the actual swordmage that probably should be in. Project M did some very interesting things with the flames of the Sword of Seals, but mostly restricted themselves to the confines of his melee moveset, for the sake of familiarity and faithfulness. I feel like Roy could probably pull some interesting shenanigans with the SoS, like a extended flame hitbox for more reach on some of his moves. Weak hits =/= bad if this game does actually have combos.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
One of those is correct.

Seriously, I'm a Roy supporter, but I don't think his reveal will be THAT big of a deal.
You're probably right but at least traditionally returning characters in fighting/multiplayer games usually have spotlight announcements like the returnees from the Tekken series.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Hey guys, do you see the Chrom image "leak" in 'SSB4 Rumor and Leaks" ?
Here, "Take this" : http://i.imgur.com/1tgumAW.png

I know I will get no simpathy, but I actually liked this model. I don't like Chrom very much also, but the pic is nice.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Roy and Mewtwo are E3 material.
Think Roy would be one of the last characters revealed if he's in.
I agree with Diddy Kong actually.. if Roy is to be added, he'll be one of the last shown as I would expect him to have pretty low priority.

Hey guys, do you see the Chrom image "leak" in 'SSB4 Rumor and Leaks" ?
Here, "Take this" : http://i.imgur.com/1tgumAW.png

I know I will get no simpathy, but I actually liked this model. I don't like Chrom very much also, but the pic is nice.
Holy ****.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I agree with Diddy Kong actually.. if Roy is to be added, he'll be one of the last shown as I would expect him to have pretty low priority.

Holy ****.
Confirmed fake. Guy went ahead and admitted he made it. Even gave us the original model and another picture of his room.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Sakurai could hire this guy anyway.This Chrom model destroy that horrible Diddy Kong design.
Well, this picture at least proves that we can expect anythink as fake pictures until confirmed... (like Palutena).

And coming back do Fire Emblem discussion, Roy is sure a low-priority FE char.
While I'm not 100% against him, we have so much of FE universe to explore beyond the swords lords. And I like Ike, you know...
In the distant dream of 4 FE characters : Ike, Marth , Micaiah(Or Lyn) and Robin is the sacred4 for me.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sakurai could hire this guy anyway.This Chrom model destroy that horrible Diddy Kong design.
Well, this picture at least proves that we can expect anythink as fake pictures until confirmed... (like Palutena).

And coming back do Fire Emblem discussion, Roy is sure a low-priority FE char.
While I'm not 100% against him, we have so much of FE universe to explore beyond the swords lords. And I like Ike, you know...
In the distant dream of 4 FE characters : Ike, Marth , Micaiah(Or Lyn) and Robin is the sacred4 for me.
My four would be Marth, Ike, Tiki, and Robin, personally. Fifth would be Anna.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy's model looks good actually.

And yes, Ike is best.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I'm sure it's been brought up before but if we're to expect a Nintendo Direct this month I believe we have both the 24th anniversary of Fire Emblem on April 20th as well as the 2nd anniversary of Awakening on April 19th, so it would be appropriate for a Direct to fall within those dates. Additionally we may also see more footage on Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei so I predict some Fire Emblem-related Smash news is to come out on this month's Direct.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If they do plan on revealing a new Fire Emblem character in the next Direct, then a reveal of Ike would probably precede it if he's still in the game. The reverse is also true. If Ike is revealed randomly sometime soon, we can probably expect a Fire Emblem newcomer in the next Direct.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be honest, I still expect 4 more veterans to be revealed before a newcomer. As of now, the layout of the site has been : 1 veteran, 1 newcomer. Then comes a new 'row' of 4 veterans, followed up with 1 veteran and 1 newcomer again. Diddy is the last veteran, togheter with Little Mac he makes a new 'row', so to me it seems logical a new row of veterans figheters will be revealed before another newcomer.

Wario, Yoshi, MetaKnight are very likely to be shown earlier than others I feel. Not sure when to expect Ike. I could see him getting a late reveal however. Him becoming a rather hard to unlock character would fit I feel.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I think Roy has a chance of being a really good swordmage archetype if he makes it in over the actual swordmage that probably should be in. Project M did some very interesting things with the flames of the Sword of Seals, but mostly restricted themselves to the confines of his melee moveset, for the sake of familiarity and faithfulness. I feel like Roy could probably pull some interesting shenanigans with the SoS, like a extended flame hitbox for more reach on some of his moves. Weak hits =/= bad if this game does actually have combos.
I actually really love the idea of Roy filling a swordmage archetype. I now I keep saying this, but I believe the SoS is a pretty unique and distinct sword. Some properties off the top of my head:

- Can ignite and create fire projectiles
- Healing properties
- Bonus effects like more damage versus dragons
- Can help to seal away beings
- Adjusts its power accordingly to the wielder's emotions... or something like that (e.g., if the wielder does not want the opponent to be killed, the sword can knock out opponent instead)
- Considered stronger than the legendary weapons of Elibe

There's a lot of potential here. Maybe I'm crazy, but how could anyone not find this at least a bit interesting? The only think I'm worried about is if Roy does become clone-ish (and I understand if this is one of the reason why some people don't support Roy). However, I'd really love to know if Sakurai will take the time to de-clone Falco and Ganon and if so, then I think I'll have more faith in characters like Roy to become more unique.

Anyway, like the SoS, Ragnell is pretty distinct. It would be a real shame is Sakurai doesn't take advantage of the sword's properties. Why Ike's fire attacks aren't coloured blue is beyond me... I'm hoping Sakurai will make the reference this time around, and change the flame colour to blue, at the very least.

@ Fake Chrom leak: The one thing I don't like about the model is the facial similarities to Marth. I know he's a descendant of Marth, but if Chrom gets in, I'm hoping both Marth and Chrom will have noticeable different features. It's probably just me being nitpicky, but compare Melee Marth and Roy's facial features (and maybe Brawl Marth and Ike's... don't really remember) and you'll see what I mean. It's small differences, but it's something I personally appreciate when done.

Anyway, I do like the TV set up that guy has, especially with the consoles being tucked away in the shelves. If I had the money, I'd wouldn't mind buying a flat screen TV and stand like that lol.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So you wait until last minute to really get his uniqueness. Come on, if I showed you 3-D models of Anna, Robin, or Lyn you would be finally convinced to have one of them playable.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
All I can see them do is make a reprisal of Roy's playstyle and call it a day.
Hardly. It would cause him to stick out like a sore thumb among the other newcomers. If Sakurai chooses Chrom for whatever reason, I think we can rest assured that he will be unique. Maybe not near Rosalina or Mega Man levels, but closer to WFT's level.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Hardly. It would cause him to stick out like a sore thumb among the other newcomers. If Sakurai chooses Chrom for whatever reason, I think we can rest assured that he will be unique. Maybe not near Rosalina or Mega Man levels, but closer to WFT's level.
WFT isn't that unique, it's just how she's an oddball pick with a distinct style of moves. Chrom can't provide that really.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
WFT isn't that unique, it's just how she's an oddball pick with a distinct style of moves. Chrom can't provide that really.
That mostly depends on what you qualify as unique, to some the distinct style of moves is enough to seperate the WFT from other Melee oriented characters.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
That mostly depends on what you qualify as unique, to some the distinct style of moves is enough to seperate the WFT from other Melee oriented characters.
The difference is I feel Villager, Mega Man, Rosa, and Mac all bring some new gameplay element to the table, unlike WFT

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The difference is I feel Villager, Mega Man, Rosa, and Mac all bring some new gameplay element to the table, unlike WFT
I don't disagree entirely as WFT is a pretty common for what you would expect a Melee oriented character in smash to be. I guess for me having a unique look and feel can go a way to even making a general style of character stand out a bit more even if their gameplay doesn't extend to this.

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
I don't disagree entirely as WFT is a pretty common for what you would expect a Melee oriented character in smash to be. I guess for me having a unique look and feel can go a way to even making a general style of character stand out a bit more even if their gameplay doesn't extend to this.
WFT brings a unique style, and I think that's why she's not the one newcomer that everyone thinks is disappointing compared to the rest.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I was told the exact same thing with bloody Toon Link, and I was right for ignoring them.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What the **** is a Brawl speculation?
Listen, being Rosalina and Mega Man levels of unique wasn't really a necessary condition for inclusion at that time.

We had Toon Link, Lucas, and Wolf as newcomers, along with Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik and Dixie Kong planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom