• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Ike growing up from mere trainee to hero of the continent from FE9 to FE10 is the most character development there is in Fire Emblem.
Elicnia goes from a naive girl with no idea how to rule to a wise ruler whose rule was remembered as a golden age, Pelleas goes from being a coddled, spineless wimp to a functioning member of the army, Skrimir goes from being little more than a hotheaded thug to someone who you believe could rule Gallia, Jill goes from an abrasive racist to a kind friend to both Beorc and Laguz, the bird tribe get over their hatred for Beorc after the Serenes Massacre. If offscreen counts, Lehran goes believing that the world can sort out its own problems to actively attempting to unmake it and Prince Juilius transforms from a kind child to the cruel tyrant who commits matricide, attempts sororicide and demands child hunts. Ike is almost exactly the same at the end of PoR as he is at the start.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah he's not. He has more personality and character than any other character, even if some find it bland.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Nah he's not. He has more personality and character than any other character, even if some find it bland.
Again, what.

Lucina neglects herself for the sake of her mission, pushing herself during training to the extent of self injury, enjoys doing simple pleasures like shopping with her parents, blames herself for everything that goes wrong even when it's not her fault, thinks there's nothing wrong with mixed bathing, doesn't find anything wrong with the various quirks of the other children characters up to and including Noire's split personality and considers the idea of murdering her husband/mother/father's best friend, and would go through with it in the last case if Chrom hadn't been there.

Ike is nice, protective of those he likes but merciless to those who go up against him, is reckless and is blunt.

Sure he's got more personality and character than any other character?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Again, what.

Lucina neglects herself for the sake of her mission, pushing herself during training to the extent of self injury, enjoys doing simple pleasures like shopping with her parents, blames herself for everything that goes wrong even when it's not her fault, thinks there's nothing wrong with mixed bathing, doesn't find anything wrong with the various quirks of the other children characters up to and including Noire's split personality and considers the idea of murdering her husband/mother/father's best friend, and would go through with it in the last case if Chrom hadn't been there.

Ike is nice, protective of those he likes but merciless to those who go up against him, is reckless and is blunt.

Sure he's got more personality and character than any other character?
Dude All Awakening Characters are Anime Cliche nothing more....Fire Emblem Awakening lost the essence of Fire Emblem, it's not the Mature Franchise with mature storylines that we grown to love.

Ike has character development wether you like it or not, and his personality is valid, Ike is in fact the most unique main Character for not being part of a noble family, Ike is a Hero and the story was about him, a Hero doesn't need a fluctuating personality such thing will only make him look less of a Hero, Ike is an ideal character just like Super Man, he doesn't need the hinderance of complicated personality, his character was made to be like that.

Bro talk **** about Ike, and You'll get no sympathy from me....

Last edited:

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
Dude All Awakening Characters are Anime Cliche nothing more....Fire Emblem Awakening lost the essence of Fire Emblem, it's not the Mature Franchise with mature storylines that we grown to love.

Ike has character development wether you like it or not, and his personality is valid, Ike is in fact the most unique main Character for not being part of a noble family, Ike is a Hero and the story was about him, a Hero doesn't need a fluctuating personality such thing will only make him look less of a Hero, Ike is an ideal character just like Super Man, he doesn't need the hinderance of complicated personality, his character was made to be like that.

Agreed. Plus, Lucina would just be another Marth clone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Comparing growing up to live your father's legacy without any experience at all, besides bravery and natural born fighting / leading skill to some chick with some serious issues in her life and likes to take baths with men?

Ok. I lost. No problem.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

While perhaps true, it's hardly what he's trying to argue.
Comparing growing up to live your father's legacy without any experience at all, besides bravery and natural born fighting / leading skill to some chick with some serious issues in her life and likes to take baths with men?

Ok. I lost. No problem.
I think I finally understand why all those people used to call me 'narrow minded'.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

Ok. I lost. No problem.
Besides, who would you deem more interesting in real life, someone with Ike personality or someone with let's say Lucina's personality...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd chill with Ike, seems like cool **** will happen if I did.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord

Dat Ike love too stronk.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Alright, so we can agree that Ike is a great character?
Good.
Can we all agree that calling him the unequivocal 'best' character is a dubious claim?
. . .

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well to be fair most Fire Emblem characters are based on a cliches in one form or another, just more so that awakening just went with a more obvious set of them.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Well to be fair most Fire Emblem characters are based on a cliches in one form or another, just more so that awakening just went with a more obvious set of them.
It's a little bit different with Awaknening compared to other FE games.. It's almost completely just anime tropes and archtypes. Yeah, those existed somewhat in past FE games, but it's like they deliberately chose the most overused/commonplace ones just to appeal to an otaku/weaboo audience to get more sales.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's a little bit different with Awaknening compared to other FE games.. It's almost completely just anime tropes and archtypes. Yeah, those existed somewhat in past FE games, but it's like they deliberately chose the most overused/commonplace ones just to appeal to an otaku/weaboo audience to get more sales.
Yes, it's obvious it was extregerated to it's extreme in Awakening, and one can debate the positive and negative sides of doing such a thing whcih has been done alot. I just feel it's important to point out that simply because they are less obivious doesn't mean they weren't there before.

Hong

The Strongest
This page of posts is awful, even for this thread's standards.

Ike is a great character and all, and yeah, the vast majority of Awakening's characters are a massive eyesore compared to some of the greats the series has seen. I get that.

But keep it in your pants, please. Ike is awesome, but he isn't the only star in the sky. I don't think it's fair to see characters like Lucina or some of the more imaginative characters in Awakening get written off just because they came from a bloated product.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only reason why I'm putting down Lucina is mainly because she suffers from the same problem Chrom has with not being highly original.

Though I do give her more leeway considering she's a better developed character.

Last edited:

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Really? So then why has Sumia's Moe and Cute Clumsy Girl traits given her severe self-esteem issues, that's not much of an anime cliche. Henry is messed up because the only thing that ever cared for him before he joins your party was a wolf, who was then killed trying to visit him and he was sent of to an orphanage where he nearly died more than once, and he's reminded of it by where you are in the Death's Embrace DLC. Every child character bar Morgan has some form of PTSD and are messed up otherwise too, like Nah being overly polite because she was shunned and hated by the people who raised or Noire having developed split personalities as a result of Tharja's abuse. To dismiss every character in Awakening as nothing more than an Anime Cliche is both wrong and stupid.

Ike has character development wether you like it or not, and his personality is valid, Ike is in fact the most unique main Character for not being part of a noble family,
Ike at in end of PoR is not that different from Ike at the start. Sure there's some, but it's hardly the most character development the series has ever seen. Ike isn't a noble, whoopdeedoo, being one trait different from the norm does not make you the most unique character. Micaiah doesn't have blue hair, doesn't use a sword and has serious trust issues, but you don't see people screaming about how unique she is compared to other lords.

Ok. I lost. No problem.
I can easily apply that first thing to Lucina, given that the only thing she's really good at is fighting and she mentions living up to expectations placed upon her for being of the Exalted Bloodline in a DLC conversation with Severa and Lucina's supports with Tiki also mention her needing to live up to the expectations placed upon her for taking the name Marth. That makes her some chick with some serious issues in her life and likes to take baths with men who had to grow up to live up to her fathers legacy without any experience at all, besides bravery and natural born fighting skill.

Hong

The Strongest
The only reason why I'm putting down Lucina is mainly because she suffers from the same problem Chrom has with not being highly original.

Though I do give her more leeway considering she's a better developed character.
Really? I couldn't ask for more from Lucina, aside from screen-time. Only thing that upset me is her support conversations with her mother.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Really? I couldn't ask for more from Lucina, aside from screen-time. Only thing that upset me is her support conversations with her mother.
Like I said, Lucina is still one of the better developed characters in the game, and out of three main characters is the only one I actually like. Chrom's leadership is incredibly questionable and he becomes a liability during the second half of the game, while Robin is too saturated in the story and is a notable game breaker.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Really? So then why has Sumia's Moe and Cute Clumsy Girl traits given her severe self-esteem issues, that's not much of an anime cliche. Henry is messed up because the only thing that ever cared for him before he joins your party was a wolf, who was then killed trying to visit him and he was sent of to an orphanage where he nearly died more than once, and he's reminded of it by where you are in the Death's Embrace DLC. Every child character bar Morgan has some form of PTSD and are messed up otherwise too, like Nah being overly polite because she was shunned and hated by the people who raised or Noire having developed split personalities as a result of Tharja's abuse. To dismiss every character in Awakening as nothing more than an Anime Cliche is both wrong and stupid.
Thank you. I'm a bit tired of people hating Awakening. I love that game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Aye, people too easily jump on so-called 'cliche', 'tropes', and 'archetypes' as proof of a character's shallowness. While it is true in some cases, Awakening largely has valid explanation for the way people act. This goes without saying that the characteristic itself is not bad personality writing, but rather it is the execution, and the expectations of quality of execution, that creates people's biases towards and against them, notably being the primary source of character quality. Also, you forgot Mustafa's relationship with Henry. Henry in general is a great character. And Lon'Qu. And Say'ri. And Frederick. And Maribelle. And Tiki. And. . . yep. I really can't think of a character that isn't mostly justified in their traits.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I think Virion is an excellent character. Drastically shallow first impression, but it's partially a ruse. He has some great support conversations, and even when something troubles him greatly, he maintains his character. It's not just bad writing, either. The other characters, especially Cherche, know what ails his heart, and can see between his words.

I take it the writers put more effort into his character than the others, what with him actually being relevant beyond his first appearance.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think the important thing to remember with any character type. There is a difference with a formulated character and a bad character. The fact is when you break just about any character down it basically comes down to a series of personality traits that react to situations. It's not the character tropes and cliches that are problems, more often how they are used. You can make a cliche character endearing and interesting the people, a lot of it just comes down to how to present a character throughout whatever story is trying to be told. We tend to be negative towards these tropes because when they are misused they are much easier to stop, and I will definitely agree that some characters in awakening do fall into this trap but I don't think they all do in that regards. I mean even Ike is only unique in the context of his own game series, outside of Fire Emblem his character type has been replicated in probably a couple dozen JRPGs through out gaming history.

Even more trope-less, realistic characters can be done badly.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think the important thing to remember with any character type. There is a difference with a formulated character and a bad character. The fact is when you break just about any character down it basically comes down to a series of personality traits that react to situations. It's not the character tropes and cliches that are problems, more often how they are used. You can make a cliche character endearing and interesting the people, a lot of it just comes down to how to present a character throughout whatever story is trying to be told. We tend to be negative towards these tropes because when they are misused they are much easier to stop, and I will definitely agree that some characters in awakening do fall into this trap but I don't think they all do in that regards. I mean even Ike is only unique in the context of his own game series, outside of Fire Emblem his character type has been replicated in probably a couple dozen JRPGs through out gaming history.

Even more trope-less, realistic characters can be done badly.
Tharja was an example of another fairly well done trope in Awakening (imo) having read her supports. I mean, I wouldn't necessarily call her "endearing", but she's pretty interesting and very funny at times.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Lot's of **** is going down this thread, it seems it was Awakening fans versus Path Of Radiance fans, such a rabid fight.... You know what side I'm on. :awesome:

On a more serious note, here's a random senario, if we got a FE newcomer that wasn't a lord/main character, who would you think it would be? I made sure to include "Main Character" in their, so it wouldn't be unanimously Robin. As they're are a lot of supporters for him.

If I had to choose someone, maybe Nepheenee a lance and shield combo is pretty Bad*** after all.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You forgot about Tiki, huh?
Nah.

I like both a lot. Which one I like more can change from day to day. I would say Anna is the cuter character, but very specific functionality for Tiki may make for a more fun character.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Lucina's story had far more potential than Ike's, but she was put in a game where she wasn't a solo main and that tried to make the player the biggest rock star \m/

Sorry, @ Hong Hong

Really, I wasn't happy with what they did with the Tactician. If you're going to call someone the Tactican, don't give them the sheer power to break through the enemy horde with their face, regardless of class, weapon or tome choice. An actual tactician class should have been centered around a different mechanic, like the Rally skills. Let the Rallies be unique to the tactician, but make him average/ranging on squishy in combat, and make the Rally give a more significant boost but more limited in range/number of allies it can affect. Then maybe limit the kinds of rallies you can 'Equip' to the battle.

This way, the tacticain actually plays a more pivotal role in the battle. Do I risk potentially eating enemy attacks to buff my own units? Should I boost Gerome's accuracy with his Brave Axe, or Kjelle's speed so she eats fewer double hits while tanking that choke point? Boss killing may become trivial, but that's why YOU INCLUDE MOVING BOSSES, ADEQUATE LEVELS OF CHALLENGE AND DIFFERENT KINDS OF MAP GOALS, GODDAMNIT.

Seriously, Awakening as a whole is a good product that just felt stunted and incomplete and not properly fleshed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom