• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
There are plenty of characters that I'd like to get in over both Roy and Chrom, but sadly they just aren't likely. They just aren't as popular or notable as those two.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I am just wondering..Personally i really want the return of Roy..does anyone else want to see Roy return?
As long as Roy would satisfy my (personally subjective) criteria of 1) having adjustments on his move-set with the intent of improvement, including Luigification, 2) be aesthetically updated with some influence based on his Awakening DLC appearance, and 3) further represent the Elibe universe (because Marcus, damn it), I would be content for his return. Despite a subdivision of antagonistic, highly tendentious, and annoyingly-irritating supporters (as with any fan-base, really), Roy is a personal childhood memory of mine, nonetheless.

In terms of contention, the real competition is down to Chrom and Roy, with the dark-horse Avatar (and perhaps the wildcard jester Anna) behind as a long-distant, hundred-to-one shot. The only feasible prospect in which the Avatar would be selectively hand-picked over the other two (especially Chrom) is if Sakurai entirely forgoes the process of popularity for the sake move-set uniqueness and representational diversity (which was partially the reasoning behind Rosalina's inclusion over Toad). Otherwise, the game belongs to Chrom and Roy.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Roy returning with his mechanic (base of sword being more powerful than the tip) as well as slight adjustments to moves that can take advantage of his mechanic (a leaping forward Smash), makes more sense than adding Chrom (without a tagteam partner in Lucina).

Last edited:

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
As long as Roy would satisfy my (personally subjective) criteria of 1) having adjustments on his move-set with the intent of improvement, including Luigification, 2) be aesthetically updated with some influence based on his Awakening DLC appearance, and 3) further represent the Elibe universe (because Marcus, damn it), I would be content for his return. Despite a subdivision of antagonistic, highly tendentious, and annoyingly-irritating supporters (as with any fan-base, really), Roy is a personal childhood memory of mine, nonetheless.

In terms of contention, the real competition is down to Chrom and Roy, with the dark-horse Avatar (and perhaps the wildcard jester Anna) behind as a long-distant, hundred-to-one shot. The only feasible prospect in which the Avatar would be selectively hand-picked over the other two (especially Chrom) is if Sakurai entirely forgoes the process of popularity for the sake move-set uniqueness and potentiality (which was partially the reasoning behind Rosalina's inclusion over Toad). Otherwise, the game belongs to Chrom and Roy.
Wow I just looked at some of the Awakening DLC redesigns for the older characters and some of them look really cool.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Wow I just looked at some of the Awakening DLC redesigns for the older characters and some of them look really cool.
With the notable exception of Ike, of course, because that was atrocious. Otherwise, quite the impressive artwork - Roy, Lyndis, Ephraim, Leaf, Elincia, and others all look spectacular.

EDIT: Completely forgot about Micaiah's... rather questionably uncharacteristic attire (imagine the possibilities of a Light Priestess costume, instead). It seems, for the most part, Tellius had it up the ass.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I am just wondering..Personally i really want the return of Roy..does anyone else want to see Roy return?
I would like to see Roy return, if his capabilities with the Sword of Seals are furthered fleshed out to include varies ways of manipulating fire.

Also, because I don't want to get on Corph's bad side.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I still think that Micaiah has just a good a chance as Chrom, Lucina, and Robin. In my opinion relevancy doesn't matter as much as I originally thought, or Pokemon Trainer would have not had the original 3 starters, Ice Climber wouldn't have ever been part of smash, and I'm pretty sure that the Mother 64 character (Flint or Lucas) could have pulled a Roy and taken Ness' spot like Sakurai was contemplating. I honestly think at this point it can be a coin flip between an Awakening Rep and Micaiah. And if for some reason they do have 2 new FE Reps, one will for sure be Micaiah. Plus right now, I think they are focusing on non-sword characters, as we have gotten 5 of them so far, and I can see Takumaru and Shulk in over another FE sword user.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I still think that Micaiah has just a good a chance as Chrom, Lucina, and Robin. In my opinion relevancy doesn't matter as much as I originally thought, or Pokemon Trainer would have not had the original 3 starters, Ice Climber wouldn't have ever been part of smash, and I'm pretty sure that the Mother 64 character (Flint or Lucas) could have pulled a Roy and taken Ness' spot like Sakurai was contemplating. I honestly think at this point it can be a coin flip between an Awakening Rep and Micaiah. And if for some reason they do have 2 new FE Reps, one will for sure be Micaiah. Plus right now, I think they are focusing on non-sword characters, as we have gotten 5 of them so far, and I can see Takumaru and Shulk in over another FE sword user.
I'm pretty sure Ike will come back and if there is a new rep it will an Awakening rep (Chrom+Lucina/Chrom) and if there will be a 4 rep it will be Roy...

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
So, how many people think Ike's just gonna be a secret character?

I'm totally betting on that, and of course everyone will probably assume he's cut....

EDIT: btw, 1000th message.....wooo

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I don't, but if given a original moveset (but Chrom could have one too), I won't mind.
Hey BluePikmin11, I've noticed that your support for Anna isn't as apparent anymore? Have you changed your mind of her having a chance in Smash? Or do you think that Chrom/Roy trump her chances?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This is implying that there will be secret characters in this game.
Dammit, Xeno. I hope you realize you're doing the exact thing that the Chrom supporters you so loathe like to do: making a proclamation of absolute certainty without a shred of evidence behind it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Dammit, Xeno. I hope you realize you're doing the exact thing that the Chrom supporters you so loathe like to do: making a proclamation of absolute certainty without a shred of evidence behind it.
The fact we're getting several characters that were previously unlockable, with a good possibility of that continuing, isn't enough?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The fact we're getting several characters that were previously unlockable, with a good possibility of that continuing, isn't enough?
That's circumstantial evidence. Until we have Sakurai himself saying that there will or won't be unlockable characters, we have no way to know.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Why can't Marth and others just be starters this time around lol? People like Luigi were just revealed revealed on special occasion, such as the 3rd parties to create hype.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hey BluePikmin11, I've noticed that your support for Anna isn't as apparent anymore? Have you changed your mind of her having a chance in Smash? Or do you think that Chrom/Roy trump her chances?
She has about at least a shot to be playable, I now doubt she is going to be playable over Chrom based on what IS is probably going to suggest. But I still love Anna to full.

Hong

The Strongest
She has about at least a shot to be playable, I now doubt she is going to be playable over Chrom based on what IS is probably going to suggest. But I still love Anna to full.
They care about her enough to give her appearances across two decades, a fully-tooled PC, as well as have her at the crux of the Outrealm, which will surely persist into the next entry.

I'd say she is better off than many of the lords and supporting characters, including Tiki. From the perspective of Sakurai-san, it wouldn't be the first time he has opted for representation from the series that is not from any particular entry, and I don't blame him. Fire Emblem, like Pokemon, is a wonky series to represent. As far as characters go, Marth is the only really obvious choice.

On that note, I am actually surprised we don't have any Fire Emblem items yet. It is actually an easy series to take items from.

Hong

The Strongest
Wish there would be an FE-related reveal already. I'm getting pretty antsy.
I get the feeling it will be a few months, at least.
So...

If FE got 4 spots, who should the reps be?
In my opinion?

Well, I wouldn't want 4 FE characters without a very good reason for it, but if I had to pick:

1) Marth
2) Robin
3) Tiki
4) Ike/Chrom/Lucina/Alm/anyone to fill the archetype, and improve upon Ike's design in Brawl.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I'm actually expecting three Fire Emblem slots. Four isn't out of the realm of possibility but is pretty unlikely. The slots are:

- Marth

I feel like Marth has the greatest chance to be in Smash 4 because he was announced to be in Smash 4. Nothing is final of course, but my fingers are crossed.

- Ike or Roy

In my opinion, both the veterans are unlikely to make a comeback. Ike seems likelier because of the return of characters like Toon Link and Lucario, who don't quite validate the 'relevancy' argument. Smash 4 veteran picks seem to prioritize 'was present in Brawl'. I can comfortably assert that we will not see both Ike and Roy in the new Smash. I would also be willing to place money (not a lot, but some) on Ike's return.

- Chrom or Lucina or Robin

It's going to be one of these three. Recency, relevancy, popularity. Take your pick and prepare to fight off opposing rabid fans.

Dark Horse: Lyn, Anna

Fourth character? Unexpected upset? Receiving spin off and representing their own series?!

Anyone else: Dream on, buddy. You can join me and my 'Jill Fizzart for Sm4sh' bumper stickers.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'm actually expecting three Fire Emblem slots. Four isn't out of the realm of possibility but is pretty unlikely. The slots are:

- Marth

I feel like Marth has the greatest chance to be in Smash 4 because he was announced to be in Smash 4. Nothing is final of course, but my fingers are crossed.

- Ike or Roy

In my opinion, both the veterans are unlikely to make a comeback. Ike seems likelier because of the return of characters like Toon Link and Lucario, who don't quite validate the 'relevancy' argument. Smash 4 veteran picks seem to prioritize 'was present in Brawl'. I can comfortably assert that we will not see both Ike and Roy in the new Smash. I would also be willing to place money (not a lot, but some) on Ike's return.

- Chrom or Lucina or Robin

It's going to be one of these three. Recency, relevancy, popularity. Take your pick and prepare to fight off opposing rabid fans.

Dark Horse: Lyn, Anna

Fourth character? Unexpected upset? Receiving spin off and representing their own series?!

Anyone else: Dream on, buddy. You can join me and my 'Jill Fizzart for Sm4sh' bumper stickers.

I love Jill she's awesome.

I think four reps would be: Marth, Ike, Chrom, Micaiah

I want them to be: Micaiah, Ilyana, Elincia, and Jill/Mia/Astrid But of course that can't happen

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I would like to see Roy return, if his capabilities with the Sword of Seals are furthered fleshed out to include varies ways of manipulating fire.

Also, because I don't want to get on Corph's bad side.
Good. Because all non Roy supports are in my bad books and you dont want to be in my bad books cuz maximum rrrraaaaaaaeeeeeeegeee!!

Jk, Jk. it's cool if you don't support a characters inclusion. Nothing to get mad over anyway.

I would love too se Roy return and I hope his sword's fire properties are played up. Well, I need someone to satisfy my pyromania urges. Bowser doesn't do justice with one move and charizard is not enough. Plus I want a cute guy, so there ya go!

Oh and about the hidden character thing. There's a brawl (I think) article where sakurai has stated his liking towards unlockable characters. Sorry, I'd love to search for it, but I'm using a mobile and internet sucks. Maybe I'll try later. Anyway, that doesn't mean unlockable characters are 100 percent confirmed, but it is something to worth mention.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Good. Because all non Roy supports are in my bad books and you dont want to be in my bad books cuz maximum rrrraaaaaaaeeeeeeegeee!!

Jk, Jk. it's cool if you don't support a characters inclusion. Nothing to get mad over anyway.

I would love too se Roy return and I hope his sword's fire properties are played up. Well, I need someone to satisfy my pyromania urges. Bowser doesn't do justice with one move and charizard is not enough. Plus I want a cute guy, so there ya go!

Oh and about the hidden character thing. There's a brawl (I think) article where sakurai has stated his liking towards unlockable characters. Sorry, I'd love to search for it, but I'm using a mobile and internet sucks. Maybe I'll try later. Anyway, that doesn't mean unlockable characters are 100 percent confirmed, but it is something to worth mention.
Pretty sure I'm already in your bad books?

If not, erm, don't read my previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom