• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Quick question, why do most longtime fans of fire emblem seem to hate/dislike Awakening? This is a legitimate question because I've played very few of the games so I'm not all that knowledgeable.
It was great when it first came out, but as most of the veterans of the franchise, like myself, had it longer, we started noticing flaws compared to the other games. Such as broken gameplay mechanics(Pair Up system, and Reclassing need a lot more balance) . Story is somewhat garbage only few things are good about, such as the future shenanigans. Characters while the most unique than the past games, are kind of extremists with their personalities/quirks, and have nothing else about them. There is more, but I'll let others explain also.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Shallower story, shallower characters, shallower gameplay with many balance issues. Not really very well representative of Fire Emblem as a series, not even close to the best Fire Emblem has to offer. It's an okay game, but it's not the best in the series and too many people tout it as that.
Can I get some emphasis on the balance please? I'm asking these questions because I am thinking of getting Awakening but I want to know if it's worth it.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Can I get some emphasis on the balance please? I'm asking these questions because I am thinking of getting Awakening but I want to know if it's worth it.
You pair up, you won't die.

You abuse the second seal, you won't have any challenges. stuff like that.

Though lunatic and lunatic + make you do this anyway. But playing in a normal or "hard" mode, yeah it'll be a cakewalk.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The units can easily become OP using the Map battles, making the game underwhelmingly easy. The pair system, with that also breaks the game, with blocking and countering most attacks, taking out some of the more strategic moments of the game.There is an over saturation of weapons, so they don't all balance well together. Especially Magic.

It doesn't help most newcomers of the series claims it as the best one ever.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The units can easily become OP using the Map battles, making the game underwhelmingly easy. The pair system, with that also breaks the game, with blocking and countering most attacks, taking out some of the more strategic moments of the game.There is an over saturation of weapons, so they don't all balance well together. Especially Magic.
Your profile pic is interesting ... is that Ike drawn in a CLAMP style?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Funny, you'd think newcomers wouldn't be so rash to label their first and only game as the best game.

It's like eating halibut as your first piece of fish and claiming it's the best fish.

Last edited:

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Hmm, the balancing troubles me, but the bottom line is should I get it or save my money for another game like shin megami tensei x fire emblem when it comes out?
Also thanks for all the help guys!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh you can still buy Fire Emblem: Awakening if you want, just remember those inherent flaws before claiming it's the best thing ever.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hmm, the balancing troubles me, but the bottom line is should I get it or save my money for another game like shin megami tensei x fire emblem when it comes out?
Well, if you really want a challenge from the game, just play it on Lunatic difficulty.

Personally though, I really enjoyed Awakening. There are some issues when it comes to balancing, but I don't think that utterly ruins the game in any way. There are a lot of good aspects about it, and I would certainly recommend it.

I hope I don't get killed here for saying that...

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
It's still a good game, the ost is great. the story is well.... at least grima keeps it interesting. It's worth a buy, it just isn't the best FE imo.

If your not new to FE I suggest maybe going hard or lunatic.

Your profile pic is interesting ... is that Ike drawn in a CLAMP style?
If only I could find Lyn in that kinda style :p

I agree though, that Ike avi looks good.

Oh yeah... its called waifu emblem 13' for a reason.... :facepalm:

Last edited:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Quick question, why do most longtime fans of fire emblem seem to hate/dislike Awakening? This is a legitimate question because I've played very few of the games so I'm not all that knowledgeable.
Not that it's a bad game or anything, still is a must buy for the 3DS, but it was a big letdown IMO.

1. The story is poorly paced, has little character development, and is somewhat confusing (especially if you played FE3).
2. The addition of fan service.
3. The avatar is a step down from FE12.
4. Balance

Though I think the biggest thing is that is sold well and is being treated as the definitive FE game. Which has led a lot of hardcore fans to think IS will try to make the series more like FE13.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If you want a challenging game you can get around it by hardly using the pair up system like I did, and don't use the second seal, until once your near end game.
It's worth the purchase, as it's a great game, a really great game, just not the best in the series like the GBA ones (7 and 8, 6 if you count Roy's Japan only one.) and the Tellius ones ( 9 and 10)

Also don't expect the crossover until 2015, 2016 even, if it's delayed alot.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I also have this personal gripe where I can't play the game without hyper-optimizing the child units.

But hyper-optimizing the child units literally sucks all fun out of the game as you grind for skills.

It's a problem.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I also have this personal gripe where I can't play the game without hyper-optimizing the child units.

But hyper-optimizing the child units literally sucks all fun out of the game as you grind for skills.

It's a problem.
Same, my team mostly made up of the Children units have pretty much all the skills they can get individually and are capped. Once you get there, I feel the game isn't worth playing as much, tbh.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
After reading all of the replies I have decided to play some older fire emblems first before getting awakening.
Once again thanks for the help.
If you don't want to spend money on them (or spend days searching for them for that matter), you can always emulate them. Since all of them are available that way.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
After reading all of the replies I have decided to play some older fire emblems first before getting awakening.
Once again thanks for the help.
I suggest getting FE 7 first. As maybe the console ones should be suited until after, since you know... Ike. lul.

Np bro, you can get Awakening whenever, the cross-over should be VERY interesting though. As I believe that's the direction IS is trying to take FE in... I don't believe FE 13 is what they're trying to do, that game was made because FE almost died, so they put everything from past FE's right into one.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The reason it almost died is because they barely improved upon the original FE when they remade it. -_- FE12 should have been a revamp, not a complete remake. It was a very soulless game. Didn't enjoy it very much.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The reason it almost died is because they barely improved upon the original FE when they remade it. -_- FE12 should have been a revamp, not a complete remake. It was a very soulless game. Didn't enjoy it very much.
While I still like FE3 better due to it's charm, personally I thought FE12 was everything FE11 should have been. There should have been more, but the return of Conversations after being neutered/removed in FE10/11 was great, as IS finally gave a voice to some of the older characters in the series.

Avatar, while broken, was a good way to bring out some character development/actual personality in Marth (which similarly failed in FE13), and the Assassins side story I thought helped broaden the story out.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
To be fair I get the jist that most of Awakening Systems changes basically being an attempted to extend Fire Emblem beyond it's core audience after the previous titles didn't do as well in Japan from what I've heard. It more or less did do what it set out to do more. I did enjoy Awakening more then Shadow Dragon regardless of the flaws it did present though not as much as I liked Radiant Dawn (Haven't played PoR). I can definitely understand people disliking Awakening for it's changes it made, however some of the hate for it is a little crazy.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
While I still like FE3 better due to it's charm, personally I thought FE12 was everything FE11 should have been. There should have been more, but the return of Conversations after being neutered/removed in FE10/11 was great, as IS finally gave a voice to some of the older characters in the series.

Avatar, while broken, was a good way to bring out some character development/actual personality in Marth (which similarly failed in FE13), and the Assassins side story I thought helped broaden the story out.
Sorry, I actually meant FE11. FE12 didn't get released outside of Japan. (Which was also a problem. I have no idea what happened to FE and the DS era, but it was neglected, to say the least.)

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Bad map design.
No Light Magic/ no Magic triangle.
No offensive staves (berserk, sleep, silence, etc...)
Predictable story.
Too much grinding

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Fire Emblem Awakening is the only game in the Fire Emblem series I've played 3 consecutive times.. I almost said more than once, but I beat Radiant Dawn twice. Maybe there are some things that long-term Fire Emblem fans have dissatisfaction with, but I took it for face-value and absolutely loved it. I'm a huge fan of the series and have played almost every one of them.. at least a little bit. That said, Fire Emblem 7 is still probably my favorite.

Lyn is still the character I want in Smash Bros the most, although all I really care about is Ike coming back. As long as he is in.. I don't really care what the rest of the Fire Emblem cast is, if there are any more besides Marth.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Looks like we agree on a lot of things, then.

It's not that I didn't enjoy FE13 at first. I did, but over time ... it doesn't quite stack up to what FE regularly offers. It's not quite as enduring, IMO. It is to a certain extent the Brawl of FE: Dumbed down, a little less deep, a lot less balanced and more accessible to the casual newcomer than faithful to the die-hard fan. Not necessarily bad, but not what we hope all future games to be like.

I did really love the child units, though. Especially Lucina, Severa, Noire, Cynthia, Inigo and Gerome.

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Looks like we agree on a lot of things, then.

It's not that I didn't enjoy FE13 at first. I did, but over time ... it doesn't quite stack up to what FE regularly offers. It's not quite as enduring, IMO. It is to a certain the Brawl of FE: Dumbed down, a little less deep, a lot less balanced and more accessible to the casual newcomer than faithful to the die-hard fan. Not necessarily bad, but not what we hope all future games to be like.

I did really love the child units, though. Especially Lucina, Severa, Noire, Cynthia, Inigo and Gerome.
Am I the only one who finds Morgan absolutely adorable?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Lucina is by far my favorite character in Awakening, although my Avatar character was pretty cool since I got to pick the design, etc. I still stand by my opinion of her being more likely as an Awakening newcomer than Chrom.

Hong

The Strongest
As someone who has played every entry and may or may not be the longest running Fire Emblem fan on here, I think Awakening is a pretty good game.

It does have it's problems, of course. Absolutely abysmal chapter design and the bad writing make it a bit of an eyesore, and some of the game mechanics could benefit from revision, but aside from that it's still a great game. For what it lacks in writing and gameplay, it has what is easily the best presentation the series has seen. The soundtrack is SUPERB. The world, while not delivered well, is great. In fact, the story in principle is awesome, just not executed well. We actually got a lot of support conversations this time which is always nice. Voice acting is awesome, and should remain a standard of the series.

Obviously if they gave Path of Radiance a similar level of presentation, it would be a game fit for the Gods. Well, technically it already is, but I think a God would be PISSED with Ashera getting owned in the sequel.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I was always the person that did support the idea of Roy and Lilina together.

I know people with their shippings are going to label some other pairing that is superior or something, but I think the best kind of pairings are the ones that actually have connections since childhood. Because it shows experience and passion with how two people know each other, even during the darkest of times.
Oh yeah, totally agree on the Roy x Lilina paring, and I do like parings where both partners have known each other since childhood in general. I also think their convos in FE6 are pretty adorable. Roy may not have much personality, but can we all agree on that's he's a bit oblivious when it comes to love, yeah?

Strictly speaking in FE6, I think my top pairings for Roy would be:

- Roy x Lilina
- Roy x Idenn/Idoun
- Roy x Wolt (well, it goes with the childhood friend theme :awesome:)

Although I'm probably in the minority when it comes to Wolt... and especially Idenn. :laugh: But I really do believe there's something between Roy and Idenn, though I think it's something little... I dunno why I like that paring tbh. Maybe I have a couple screws loose? lol.

But yeah, I'm probably annoying you guys with my shippings. Anyway, I'd really appreciate a game that's a FE6 sequel or something, perhaps showing Idenn's progression. Just to touch a little on the character more. Though, that's most llikely never going to happen, ah well. :/

Still looking forward to see what FE14 will be all about though. Going to be interesting to see which route they're going to take (for example, remake, sequel/prequel, totally new game, etc.).

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
They need to tie the games together, man. A threat so great that it transcends timelines. Join Lucina as she travels through the past, gathering the greatest heroes of the world (PLOT TWIST: Every continent exists on the same planet, just at different times, maybe some concurrently, consistently reset by some natural disaster) and the most powerful army of all time in order to stand a chance against this unspeakable horror.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Anyone else thinks FE9 had the best mechanics in the all the games? Canto, Skills, level 21 for promotion, the whole shebang? I'd only really want FE7's magic system to make a return. And third tier units would be cool, too.
I'd be a fan of all of that except Canto after every attack. IMO Mounted Units tend to be OP as f*** even without Canto. Would much rather have GBA style Canto return that console style Canto.

Personally, I'd like to see the dismounting mechanic revisited. I'd like to see it so that Mounted units use the same weapons mounted that they do dismounted, but have separate weapon ranks for the two. I like the idea of a mechanic that limits mounted units somewhat, I jut wasn't a fan of it's previous implementation (where it largely made lances useless in later areas and made Mounted units almost identical indoors, not to mention not affecting all mounts equally in FE5).

But anyway, yeah, I wouldn't mind a return of lv21 promotion, rescuing, a skill system reminiscent of FE9(I just want class and personal skills to be a thing, as well as for the value of skills to be weighted), and the FE7 magic triangle.

Also I wouldn't mind fatigue being revisited, either.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I liked FE12 a lot actually. They did their best adding a lot of charaterisation to the cast. Even Marth felt like a legit Lord in his own right, and I liked his very humanitarian, peaceful nature. It´s what makes him actually my second favorite Lord, after Ike.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Awakening was legitimately the most fun I've had with a Fire Emblem game, and I've played ALL of them.

That said, the Tellius games are more amazing in several aspects, one of which being story by far. (Although Blood pact WTF)

Despite loving the characters in Awakening, the game had a definite pacing and storytelling issue. I don't think it affects it being a quality game at all, however.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Blood pact was kind of cool, it was a way t make Daein act like complete mad men again like in the Mad King´s War. Till today, I still think the Tellius games had the best story of all sagas, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom