• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I really think all of you have either really short attention spans, or really high standards for character development.
I remember when Emmeryn spoke with Panne, or the numerous times she counciled with Philia, and the weight her decisions carried to the other storied characters. I remember every line that her sister and brother said of her.
That was enough for me.
Why the heck do you guys think that Mustafa was a deep character and not the others that had more screen time? Is it because their dialogue is more spread out and forgettable? Mustafa's message is condensed and powerful, aye, but we're supposed to be discerning and giving the benefit of the doubt to the writer so that we may better immerse ourselves in the fantasy.

By that standard, I could say Chrom actually had some character. I still would not put any weight on it, though, because a lot of his lines seemed, well, not so much stock. . . . Huh, I still remember the line where he said to Walhart that his noble intentions wouldn't justify his killing of everyone, and Walhart smacked him down again with that epic speech. His drive comes from his love of his people and thirst for justice, but it's nothing like the love Emmeryn had, is it? Who would kill themselves in a game about progress through killing? His love is forgettable and easily downplayed, Emmeryn's love is not forgettable or easily downplayed without taking the long way around and saying "Oh, she really wasn't that much of a character, and even though she made this sacrifice it doesn't matter much because she wasn't that deep". Walhart's drive is not forgettable, regardless of what anyone says about filler. Gangrel's lines are the stock chaotic evil cynic tyrant, why are his lines so memorable and his character thought of as awesome? "Every man lives and dies. . . alone."

The motif of, not only challenging fate, but that Chrom basically says "less words, more action" has significant implications to his character, he doesn't want to meddle in the philosophy or tangle with words. What he lets on is that he understands his world, the world, and it is a noble and beautiful vision. I guess because "I challenge my fate" is dialogue, and our culture is inebriated with the belief that man can overcome anything, it's more memorable than killing enemies in a game about killing enemies. Every action they take speaks to their character, but it's downplayed because. . . well, that's what they're expected to do, or because they are done a million times over. Further, I now imagine that the reason that line in particular is memorable is that it is perceived that medieval times had everyone believing and working under this "wyrd", or fate, which is completely inaccurate may I say due the teachings of the Church, but Aquinas is quick forgotten in the face of stereotype and common understanding, and the gift of Capitalism we have now to so enable man to rise up. I cannot abide by this notion any longer. Awakening some great characters.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
FIRE EMBLEM ASSIST TROPHY IDEAS

Cynthia appears and forces all active players to take a heroic pose (taunt.)

The 3-13 Archer initially does nothing and just stands there when he appears.

However, when an enemy of the one who has summoned it is launched off the stage, the 3-13 Archer immediately grabs the ledge nearest to them and hogs it.

When Emmeryn is summoned, you would never know it, because the Assist Trophy opens but nothing comes out. Later on in the fight, Emmeryn falls from the sky and onto a random enemy, defeating them instantly.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I love Awakening's characters myself, so not like you need to argue with me. Though on the subject of Camus, I never encountered him (I couldn't bring myself to finish Shadow Dragon), but he looks good, so he has that going for him. :p But I actually do like Awakening. The characters are it's strong point, but that's typically how most Fire Emblem games are. The plot isn't bad, but they feel far stronger because of the characters and how they interact with each other. *shrugs* But I'm immensely easy to please.

Love the Cynthia one. I would love to see that in the game, even if I'm relatively neutral on her.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I don't really know how to explain this, but does anyone else think that Emmeryn was almost obsessed with trying to ease her people from everything her father did and find peace or whatever? It was almost like she had this heavy burden, and her obsession for atoning could have played a part in her downfall.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I don't really know how to explain this, but does anyone else think that Emmeryn was almost obsessed with trying to ease her people from everything her father did and find peace or whatever? It was almost like she had this heavy burden, and her obsession for atoning could have played a part in her downfall.
Besides the obvious physical aspect of her death, how was it her downfall?
It's what love does, and sometimes sacrifices must be made. To say that selflessness is pathological disturbs me greatly.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I feel like the Awakening villains were rather poorly delivered. Validar was just evil this, Trickery/plot twist that, he wasn't an original villain, and he just didn't feel as human as previous installment villains. Gangrel was ok, yet, I wished they gave him a little more character development, from what was already given. Walhart, everyone knows what's wrong with Walhart so I don't even need to explain. I wish they showed off the villains PoR style where you learn more about them through there prospective at many points in the game. It allowed you to understand their goals, not too much so the plot isn't ruined, but enough, so you don't think you're fighting them because they're just deemed evil.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I finally beat Awakening and I'm probably going to play through it again because I enjoyed it so much. Here was my final team:

Archnid (Grandmaster) - Miriel (Valkyrie *after making her a sorcerer most of the game*)
Chrom (Great Lord) - Sumia (Falcon Knight)
Lonqu (Assassin *once was a swordmaster*) - Panne (Taguel *after making her an assassin, swordmaster, and trickster at some point in the game)
Lissa (War Cleric) - Henry (Sorcerer) *Insanely cute as a couple*
Morgan (Death Incarnate Sorcerer *once a grand master*) - Inigo (Hero)
Donnel (Hero) - Olivia (Dancer *after making her both an assassin and swordmaster*)
Lucina (Great Lord) - Laurent (Dark Knight *after making him a sorcerer and grandmaster*)
Kellam (Great Knight *was a general most of the game*) - Cordelia (Falcon Knight *was once a Dark Flier*)

I guess the RNG hated Chrom through my playthrough because he was deadweight through most of my play through. Also, I feel bad for Kellam. I guess it's supposed to be funny but it's kind of depressing that the guy doesn't get a happy ending no matter what you do.

Hong

The Strongest

I finally beat Awakening and I'm probably going to play through it again because I enjoyed it so much. Here was my final team:

Archnid (Grandmaster) - Miriel (Valkyrie *after making her a sorcerer most of the game*)
Chrom (Great Lord) - Sumia (Falcon Knight)
Lonqu (Assassin *once was a swordmaster*) - Panne (Taguel *after making her an assassin, swordmaster, and trickster at some point in the game)
Lissa (War Cleric) - Henry (Sorcerer) *Insanely cute as a couple*
Morgan (Death Incarnate Sorcerer *once a grand master*) - Inigo (Hero)
Donnel (Hero) - Olivia (Dancer *after making her both an assassin and swordmaster*)
Lucina (Great Lord) - Laurent (Dark Knight *after making him a sorcerer and grandmaster*)
Kellam (Great Knight *was a general most of the game*) - Cordelia (Falcon Knight *was once a Dark Flier*)

I guess the RNG hated Chrom through my playthrough because he was deadweight through most of my play through. Also, I feel bad for Kellam. I guess it's supposed to be funny but it's kind of depressing that the guy doesn't get a happy ending no matter what you do.
Awesome. Enjoy yourself. Game has a lot of replayability.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Camus's message is condensed and powerful, aye, but we're supposed to be discerning and giving the benefit of the doubt to the writer so that we may better immerse ourselves in the fantasy.
Uh, Camus may not be the best example since
a) Characters in the Akaneia games don't generally get much screentime, and
b) He kinda had a whole game dedicated to him.*

*Seriously, Camus appears in every Episode except #2, and he's the focus in Episode 4

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Uh, Camus may not be the best example since
a) Characters in the Akaneia games don't generally get much screentime, and
b) He kinda had a whole game dedicated to him.*

*Seriously, Camus appears in every Episode except #2, and he's the focus in Episode 4
Whoops, I meant to edit out his name and replace it with Mustafa, looks like I forgot I wrote it twice. I will fix this.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Another reason why Awakening isn't that great in my opinion is that they gave a character a personality, which is fine, but then said it at extremist standpoint, where that's their only trait about them. After the first support you make with a character, you pretty much know how they'll act in every other. It's neat at first, but gets very annoying later, just a little pet peeve of mine. Like Noire is always that pessimistic girl who has an opposite alter ego. Or Morgan only caring about their memory and being like the avatar. Man, bashing Awakening is fun. :p

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Another reason why Awakening isn't that great in my opinion is that they gave a character a personality, which is fine, but then said it at extremist standpoint, where that's their only trait about them. After the first support you make with a character, you pretty much know how they'll act in every other. It's neat at first, but gets very annoying later, just a little pet peeve of mine. Like Noire is always that pessimistic girl who has an opposite alter ego. Or Morgan only caring about their memory and being like the avatar. Man, bashing Awakening is fun. :p
OHAI MY NAMES GAIUS AND I LIKE CANDY

DID I TELL YOU THAT I LIKE CANDY YET?

CANDY!

:troll:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Awesome. Enjoy yourself. Game has a lot of replayability.
I've been a fan of the series since about 2010 and the replayability of the games are what I like the most about them.

Some more closing thoughts:

-I felt bad for Cordelia too (which is why I paired her with Kellam because I consider them the tragic characters of the game). If she gets married, it's pretty much her settling for someone else and even her own daughter resents her for it.

-Tharja's grossly overrated. She's fine as a unit but her personality is unsettling. I know a lot of people think she's hot but if you've ever had to deal with someone like that who was romantically interested in you, you'd think differently. Stalkers are not fun... at all.

-The story was kind of dry but I think the various interactions between all the characters kept it interesting for me.

-Why does everyone hate Ricken? I didn't use him solely because people on forums complained about him so much but did I miss something?

-I LOVE the pair up system. Getting supports in the past games was such a pain and I liked seeing how different combinations worked.

-Is it just me or did this game have a lot of "broken" characters in it? The avatar and Morgan were pretty much unstoppable killing machines from the get-go while it only took a little bit of work for Donnel and Olivia to basically be untouchable (needless to say, my Inigo was goofy good).

-Overall, a great game. I'd probably rate it as my second favorite behind Path of Radiance (best cast and story in the franchise in my opinion) and before Fire Emblem for the GBA (my first FE game).

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Besides the obvious physical aspect of her death, how was it her downfall?
It's what love does, and sometimes sacrifices must be made. To say that selflessness is pathological disturbs me greatly.
I feel that it may have made her a bit softer, perhaps playing an effect on her decision making. Not that I'm saying it's bad characterization but I just honestly believe the sacrifice was a bad decision.

Y'know, Chrom should have learned something his sister's sacrifice. I feel like he didn't though. I understand that sometimes love requires sacrifices, but the ending choice just seems so contradicting.

Chrom and the Avatar have a special bond with each other, I understand. By putting Grima to sleep, Chrom's willing to sacrifice future generations of people just to save one person. He should at least care about these future people, but it seems so selfish to me, especially when he says:

Chrom: I won't lie: your death might have spared the world future grief. Perhaps. ...But I know for certain it would have robbed the world of someone very special.

And then Chrom ends up saying that the Avatar made the right choice.

Perhaps they wanted some moral choice thing, but like I said before, it seems so contradicting to Emmeryn's sacrifice... perhaps this is a reason Emmeryn's sacrifice doesn't have a huge effect on me. I'm not really sure.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There were only a few personalities that got on my nerves and I pretty much dealt with them by never using them once I got them:

Stahl- Miserably boring. Strikes me as the kind of guy that labels himself a "nice guy" and complains about the "friend zone."
Vaike- Couldn't have made him more of tool if they tried.
Maribelle- Tsudere + rich snob = completely insufferable
Cynthia- I'd probably be downing antidepressants hourly if I had a daughter like this.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I assumed he was talking about hasha no tsurugi.
Yeah, but you should give it a read. I just started it like 40 minutes ago :awesome:.

@ Robert of Normandy Robert of Normandy This one Zero mentioned is what I was talking about. I didn't even know there was more than just this one, as I didn't even know this particular one existed until like 2 weeks ago lol.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Has anyone here read the Fire Emblem manga?
I've read Hasha no Tsurugia... and I think some of the FE1 manga? Wait did I read a manga or doujin? I dunno... I remember reading a bunch of boring chapters. Other than that, the only scenes I could remember is where a bearded guy gets upset and Marth and Merric go out drinking and Merric ends up getting drunk.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
There were only a few personalities that got on my nerves and I pretty much dealt with them by never using them once I got them:

Stahl- Miserably boring. Strikes me as the kind of guy that labels himself a "nice guy" and complains about the "friend zone."
Vaike- Couldn't have made him more of tool if they tried.
Maribelle- Tsudere + rich snob = completely insufferable
Cynthia- I'd probably be downing antidepressants hourly if I had a daughter like this.
Well I was bothered by a lot of people in the game only a few that actually didn't.
Lucina-She didn't really have a true "one trait" except future responsibility talk, which strengthened how much of a leader she was.
Cherche- I liked how she was like most of the classic FE units where her trait didn't appear often, but it appeared at moments that were warranted.
...and I literally can't think of anymore was aiming to at least 4 or more, but could only think of 2. :rolleyes: I'm not even sure about the Cherche one even.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's a shame, because I do admire the attempt at making the characters more quirky. A character with some sort of quirk is not an inherent problem, in fact it can help give a character an identity. But you have to make sure that one characteristic is not the sole thing going for them, otherwise you'll create a one dimensional character. You also got to make sure the characteristic is not obnoxious or uncomfortable, because if it's either it will create a negative response. Hence, why in my opinion I am not keen on certain characters like Tharja.

I think the only time you could get away with being a bit one dimensional if it compliments a ridiculous premise and feel, for example The Wonderful 101 exploits many cliches to ridiculous levels that actually crosses the line twice and becomes entertaining.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I've read Hasha no Tsurugia... and I think some of the FE1 manga? Wait did I read a manga or doujin? I dunno... I remember reading a bunch of boring chapters. Other than that, the only scenes I could remember is where a bearded guy gets upset and Marth and Merric go out drinking and Merric ends up getting drunk.
...and what happened after they got drunk?

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
What'd ya think of Hasha no Tsurugi? Is it good enough to read through the whole thing?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I feel that it may have made her a bit softer, perhaps playing an effect on her decision making. Not that I'm saying it's bad characterization but I just honestly believe the sacrifice was a bad decision.

Y'know, Chrom should have learned something his sister's sacrifice. I feel like he didn't though. I understand that sometimes love requires sacrifices, but the ending choice just seems so contradicting.

Chrom and the Avatar have a special bond with each other, I understand. By putting Grima to sleep, Chrom's willing to sacrifice future generations of people just to save one person. He should at least care about these future people, but it seems so selfish to me, especially when he says:

Chrom: I won't lie: your death might have spared the world future grief. Perhaps. ...But I know for certain it would have robbed the world of someone very special.

And then Chrom ends up saying that the Avatar made the right choice.

Perhaps they wanted some moral choice thing, but like I said before, it seems so contradicting to Emmeryn's sacrifice... perhaps this is a reason Emmeryn's sacrifice doesn't have a huge effect on me. I'm not really sure.
Aye, perhaps, but it's said that Emm made her choice, so too must the Avatar make his. But. . . I disagree entirely with Chrom that the Avatar made the right choice in self-preservation. But, Emmeryn saw the path before her so intensely, so clearly, and was so assured of the outcome of her affect on the Plegians, that she was justified in the sacrifice. Any less assurance, any other intention, would render her act as suicide and thus evil. Morals is a matter of intention and effect, not simply one or the other.

I guess that the message of the story was sacrificed a bit at the hands of giving the player agency, but it does go along with the motif of nothing being set in stone, no fate being written.

"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario, playing the role of Paarthurnax in Skyrim.
While dragons are inherently evil, and men are not, the analogy applies to what I deem the highest beauty. Evil is not, ultimately, evil. All evil, all trials, all strife, hardship, and pain, is wrought because someone, somewhere can make a choice, and that choice would give them immeasurable merit, far greater the reward than simply being good. But I can't endorse utilitarian philosophy. The intention must be pure for the act to be noble. The Avatar is to kill Grima not for the greater good of the future people, but because the virtues of courage, fortitude, justice, and love demand it, and to act otherwise is to fail and offend them. Is it not more meritorious to lay down one's life for a friend?
Of course, me choosing to sacrifice the Avatar means I never had this dilemma. I knew exactly what I was going to do, and had no qualms that the game allowed me to choose.

I actually feel like we've spoken on this issue somewhere else in the thread before. . . I need to go to bed.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Aye, perhaps, but it's said that Emm made her choice, so too must the Avatar make his. But. . . I disagree entirely with Chrom that the Avatar made the right choice in self-preservation. But, Emmeryn saw the path before her so intensely, so clearly, and was so assured of the outcome of her affect on the Plegians, that she was justified in the sacrifice. Any less assurance, any other intention, would render her act as suicide and thus evil. Morals is a matter of intention and effect, not simply one or the other.

I guess that the message of the story was sacrificed a bit at the hands of giving the player agency, but it does go along with the motif of nothing being set in stone, no fate being written.

"What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario, playing the role of Paarthurnax in Skyrim.
While dragons are inherently evil, and men are not, the analogy applies to what I deem the highest beauty. Evil is not, ultimately, evil. All evil, all trials, all strife, hardship, and pain, is wrought because someone, somewhere can make a choice, and that choice would give them immeasurable merit, far greater the reward than simply being good. But I can't endorse utilitarian philosophy. The intention must be pure for the act to be noble. The Avatar is to kill Grima not for the greater good of the future people, but because the virtues of courage, fortitude, justice, and love demand it, and to act otherwise is to fail and offend them. Is it not more meritorious to lay down one's life for a friend?
Of course, me choosing to sacrifice the Avatar means I never had this dilemma. I knew exactly what I was going to do, and had no qualms that the game allowed me to choose.

I actually feel like we've spoken on this issue somewhere else in the thread before. . . I need to go to bed.
Night wenbo.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Could we get a pegasus attack delta attack or whatever the three person team up as an assist trophy or final smash (if a tactician was playable, this'd be perfect)?

Also, does anyone think Fire Emblem has any villains good enough to be considered? I'd really like Alvis from Fire Emblem 4. I think I mean Alvis, whichever villain in that game smacked you so hard halfway through the game that the generations had to change.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
I gave Awakening a second chance a week or so ago and I can safely say that it's really not my cup of tea and probably never will be.

The one true great character in Awakening is Sully. There are some other good characters, but not that many. I just can't connect with most of them... like FireEmblemnier pointed out, several of them repeat their gimmick ad nauseum and there's nothing more to them than that. They don't seem human at all.

I feel like the best example from this (as someone pointed out earlier in this thread (idr who)) is the Greil Mercenaries vs The Shepherds. In both Tellius games, the GM are well-developed and make you feel like they are a family and they all love each other, even through their divergences. The Shepherds are pretty awful because they simply don't feel like a realistic society, which is the result of poor writing and poor character development. They are all pretty static as individuals and as a group, never really evolving much, if at all. I do like Lissa though.

I think no matter which way you look at it, your appreciation for you early game team will pretty much set the mood for the remainder of the game. The remaining additions are nice extras, but the early team makes or break the entire game. To each their own, though. Obviously a lot of people like Awakening and so more power to them.

Oh and P.S. The "choices" you have to make are a total joke. I had Chrom let his sister kill herself and then had him let Robin die because I was sick of his white knight one trick ponyness and I wanted to make him a jerk, but in the end he only does something like say "ugh no this isn't right" and then does the opposite.:rolleyes:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
...and what happened after they got drunk?
I...

Don't remember actually. I'm not sure if you guys know the manga I'm talking about. I could try to find the manga if you want.

What'd ya think of Hasha no Tsurugi? Is it good enough to read through the whole thing?
I thought it was decent, even if the main character is Al... I honestly just read it for Roy. :awesome: But I think it's pretty cool in it's own way, especially seeing characters come to life I seriously loved Narshen in the manga lol. I say give it a shot, and from what I could remember, for me it got better near the end.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I can honestly watch the Path of Radiance opening (the menu slideshow of pictures, with the music) for hours, playing on my computer while I read, getting chills the entire time.

Now that was a good f***ing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom