• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think it's really dishonest counting a clone as part of the roster. Having them as a costume swap at least gives the character selection screen a more accurate size.
Not really. It's more dishonest to hide the clone, because you are afraid of people might accuse you of what you are actually doing. It also hides the work of programmers, model creators, etc. What benefits are there to hide it other than getting fans to stop complaining, who would then move on to complaining that the roster is too small.
Clones have being padding fighting game rosters since 1991.

one of these characters might be a clone...
They only get luigified later. In fact, it would probably more accurate to call them kenified.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This still makes me disgruntled.
Sorry, but I don't really care at this point who gets in between Chrom and Roy. FE talk has made me lose a lot of the enthusiasm I once had towards the series in regards to Smash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Still doesn't make me any less disgruntled.

Come on we need more creativity here, this is so stupid!
And just like that things start coming full circle again.

So should start talking movesets for the realistic characters until someone complains they'll just be clones of Marth in the end, talking about unrealistic but unique characters until someone complains that they'll never get in, or just make everyone upset by talking cuts or alternate costumes?

Ah this thread gives me such a headache. :laugh:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Why not just make similar characters appear in the same slot ala Zelda/Sheik style, or PKMN Trainer style, being selectable? That's not alternate costuming, but however offensive their clone nature is, it would be mitigated.

Oh gosh, you guys remember those pictures that say "We're a culture not a costume, this is not who I am and this is not okay"?
Someone make a picture of an upset Lucina with that style, her holding an image of her just being a remodel of Marth or something infinitely more clever, saying "I'm a character, not an alternate costume, this is not who I am and this is not okay". Please, you can have all my internets.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Slots aren't the problem here.

People would find some way to *itch that those compounded characters "stole" the rep from someone more deserving, regardless.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Slots aren't the problem here.
People would find some way to *itch that those compounded characters "stole" the rep from someone more deserving, regardless.
Which is a ridiculous claim seeing how few resources and little capital (Why is the design team getting all the big bucks?) it takes to make one, so another 'full' rep is generally not part of the opportunity cost of a clone.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Why not just make similar characters appear in the same slot ala Zelda/Sheik style, or PKMN Trainer style, being selectable? That's not alternate costuming, but however offensive their clone nature is, it would be mitigated.

Oh gosh, you guys remember those pictures that say "We're a culture not a costume, this is not who I am and this is not okay"?
Someone make a picture of an upset Lucina with that style, her holding an image of her just being a remodel of Marth or something infinitely more clever, saying "I'm a character, not an alternate costume, this is not who I am and this is not okay". Please, you can have all my internets.
I don't see why the design team would "hide" their work. So a few fans will stop complaining about clones and instead complain about how small the roster is? They made the clones, they should own it. Not hide it. And considering the fact that fans already know clones exist, these same fans would still complain. And how would the casual player know how to cycle through Fox's costume in order to get to Wolf. This would maybe make sense if we were talking about Melee, but the clone genie is already out of the bottle.

More importantly, Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer don't share the slot just because. They share the slot because their transformation move is an important part of their characters and playstyle. If they didn't share a connection through their moveset. they wouldn't be grouped together.

This may have been not seen considering it was at the bottom of the page, but fighting game character clones have been padding rosters since basically the beginning.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Pretty sure this is what I was suggesting. At this point, though, I don't really care to argue about it any more. I feel that clones taking their own slots makes the roster feel more padded than it would that way, but some people apparently don't. There's not much more to say on the matter.

Morbi

Scavenger
Pretty sure this is what I was suggesting. At this point, though, I don't really care to argue about it any more. I feel that clones taking their own slots makes the roster feel more padded than it would that way, but some people apparently don't. There's not much more to say on the matter.
It really depends on the clone. Some people still call Lucas or Wolf clones (despite the two being very different), I would say that they are worthy of their own slots. Even Falco (a blatant clone) probably deserves his own slot. I can see what you are getting at though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

Marth's page advertises Awakening...

No Awakening character?

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
My guess is that Sakurai is trying to keep all newcomers hidden this time around... so if there is an Awakening character, the reveal won't happen until E3 2014

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
No, I think it's just the only thing he could advertise for. Every newcomer since E3 has come with a game link at the bottom.

I'm glad he's back in. He's not using an Awakening redesign (which is great) , and also has the bulkiness of his Shadow Dragon/Heroes of Light and Shadow design:

His shoulder pads are also sticking out less, matching the SD design. His boots have also been changed since Brawl.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Tomorrow is going to be considerably more interesting, especially with these recent turn of events.

Prepare the flame-resistant shields and burn treatments.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Anyone else feel like his platemail and gloves are too dark? I think it would've looked a lot better if they ended up a similiar shade of blue as the rest of his outfit, like his Heroes of Light design(which I'm really happy they went with btw).

Aww well, I guess that's what alternate colors are for.

EDIT: Also can't wait for the delicious tears of the few Gamefaq-ers that thought Marth would actually be replaced by Lucina/Chrom.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
MARTH MARTH MARTH MARTH! Yes!

He's looking awesome this time around. But it seems like his Falchion is getting shorter every appearance?

Weird to see Awakening being advertised on his reveal. I hope this means that Marth is our actual Awakening representation. But it seems he looks most like his FE12 model, which pleases me. FE12 was awesome.

Anyway, glad to see Marth back again! :marth: Haters and doubters can finally shut up now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So...

Marth's page advertises Awakening...

No Awakening character?
I wouldn't say so. I mean, what else would they advertise for Marth? Not much wiggle room there. :p

Plus, there's always SMTxFE.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I wouldn't say so. I mean, what else would they advertise for Marth? Not much wiggle room there. :p

Plus, there's always SMTxFE.
If they wanna advertise SMTxFE, they may as well add some sort of cameo for a character in the SMT cast -be it a Protagonist, or Jack Frost-.

Either way, Marth is back! Never doubted of his return. I wonder what will be of Lucina, now?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lucina has a good chance to show up in a similar way of the He Fit Trainer.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well this pretty much kills a few theories.

Marth is going to hidden away again as a secret hidden character. [DEBUNKED]
Marth is going to be replaced by Lucina or just simply cut altogether. [DEBUNKED]
A new character is going to be shown over an old one. [DEBUNKED]

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Marth was always obvious with to anyone who knew even basic details about FE.

Intriguing that Marth advertises FE13 on his page.

What is even more intriguing is how this reveal was not tied into ANY anniversary or game release.

Still, happy to see Mr. Fire Emblem make his Smash 4 debut.

Hopefully, Ike and Roy return as well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Lucina has a good chance to show up in a similar way of the He Fit Trainer.
I don't think they're going to change the character all together with alternate costumes. With Wii Fit Trainer it's okay to change the gender because it's just an avatar character who can already change gender in the source game, plus it's still the same character. Both Marth and Lucina are full fledged characters, it'd be extremely weird to make it an entirely different character all of a sudden. Lucina as a last minute clone is probably still a more likely result than her being an alternate costume as far as I see it.

Anyways, as for Fire Emblem, I'm just waiting for Ike and I'll be happy. Marth was still a great reveal, particularly because it just came out of the left field so suddenly.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Finally we can stop the Lucina > Marth arguments.... Marth is now an official and he seem to be the "Awakening" character, maybe Chrom and Lucina will become some sort of model swap for Marth as DLC, such thing would make so much money and Hope fully we get Ike with a mixed design, where they mix his PoR and RD design.

Azule07

Smash Cadet
Finally we can stop the Lucina > Marth arguments.... Marth is now an official and he seem to be the "Awakening" character, maybe Chrom and Lucina will become some sort of model swap for Marth as DLC, such thing would make so much money and Hope fully we get Ike with a mixed design, where they mix his PoR and RD design.
Judging on Marth's design and all, it's incredibly odd that he's even got mentions of Awakening on his page - and I reckon that the only reason he does is to link him to the franchise for people who don't know about Fire Emblem.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
That advertisement doesn't mean anything. Suppose it did, and the opposite of this scenario were true. Do you really think they would leave out the advertisement for Fire Emblem's latest game just to elaborate on the fact that Marth not really representing awakening?

The answers no. Sakurai is just supporting a franchise.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Judging on Marth's design and all, it's incredibly odd that he's even got mentions of Awakening on his page - and I reckon that the only reason he does is to link him to the franchise for people who don't know about Fire Emblem.
I'm now a firm believer that Ike is going to be back ,because:
  • No one can fill his role as the heavy hitter except for less popular characters such as Hector.
  • He is only second to Marth.
  • The new SSB. has so much Brawl in it, which makes me think that the whole SSBB cast will b e back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom