• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Oh doo doo.

It just went down.

I was in the bathroom about to take a shower this morning, about to commit a grave and mortal sin, but I tried to distract myself, not the best tactic, so I came on Smashboards with muh phone and got super hype about Marth so my desire to do other things went away. HEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEH.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
So...

Marth's page advertises Awakening...

No Awakening character?

Eh, I feel that it takes away from the suspense to advertise newer characters to a series without first revealing its obvious veterans. If Chrom or Robin were revealed instead it would lead to the assumptions that Marth would already be playable, (Because really anybody who thought Marth was at risk to get cut has little to no evidence to support that notion) in which case it implies two characters instead of one.

Similarly if Samurai Goroh was revealed before Captain Falcon it would make Falcon's reveal a lot less meaningful.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Do you guys think Sakurai played Awakening last month after revealing Sonic, could this influence the inclusion a character from Awakening?
No. If we get an Awakening character, then Sakurai has planned to include one from the start.
The Gaf tards are getting on my nerve.....they are treating Ike as a goner and those awakening fansboys are even worse...
Dude, you don't even know. There's this girl on SF who's a total Ike fangirl, and she's done nothing but complain about this reveal.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
No, I think it's just the only thing he could advertise for. Every newcomer since E3 has come with a game link at the bottom.

I'm glad he's back in. He's not using an Awakening redesign (which is great) , and also has the bulkiness of his Shadow Dragon/Heroes of Light and Shadow design:

His shoulder pads are also sticking out less, matching the SD design. His boots have also been changed since Brawl.
Yeah I'm really digging Marth's design in this one. I've never disliked his look but I was also never a huge fan of it either. This design though actually makes me excited to play the character

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's pretty safe to say that Marth was simply shown over the alternatives because of him being one the most popular characters in the Super Smash Bros. franchise and his recurring status as a veteran. It doesn't really have to do with who's in and who isn't, but more like starting off on the right steps and then slowly working your way up.

For the record in a similar vein, I'm expecting Ness to be shown earlier then Lucas this time around.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
By the way, the heavy black is call back to Marth's Melee and Brawl designs:

That was something Sakurai changed with Marth's first smash appearance and it appears he's intent on keeping it.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Dude, you don't even know. There's this girl on SF who's a total Ike fangirl, and she's done nothing but complain about this reveal.
Oh god I know who you're talking about.

Anyway, obvious reveal, but I think this hurts Lucina a bit.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I disagree. Unless he had shown up wearing his FE13/DLC outfit, I don't think him being confirmed gives any indication of what other FE characters will/won't be confirmed. Aside from the fact that Sakurai say nuts to this whole recency thing

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
How exactly? Marth being revealed at some point was an inevitability. If anything, this helps her, since Marth isn't using his DLC design, the "they dress the same" counterpoint to her is no longer applicable.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm now a firm believer that Ike is going to be back ,because:
  • No one can fill his role as the heavy hitter except for less popular characters such as Hector.
  • He is only second to Marth.
  • The new SSB. has so much Brawl in it, which makes me think that the whole SSBB cast will b e back.
I don't really see how this reveal has changed anything about Ike. Ike appeared in Brawl with Marth after all.

Ike's role as a heavy hitter could be transferred, such as by including another heavy character as part of the roster (such as King K. Rool), and making the next Fire Emblem rep a beatdown type character more similar to Captain Falcon. Remember, roles are meant to balance the entire roster. Not that I think Ike will be leaving; I think Ike will be returning. But Ike isn't invincible based on his role as a heavy.
Oh god I know who you're talking about.

Yeah, she definitely overreacted.

It hurts in so much that it tells us what most Lucina supporters already thought was going to happen(at least those not on GameFAQs). But Shotguner159 makes a good point.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I think Marth's outfit based on Shadow Dragon helps Lucina more than hurt her. She's actually got as much to distance herself from him now just as much as Chrom does.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Lucina is no va ! it's no go ! understand ? I love Lucina but she has too much of Marth in her. I doubt she will be even playable as a solo (pair up Lucina-Chrom is a possiblity and that should be what you are hoping for). If Marth is remaining on his original role as a fasty - fast than forget about her.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
How exactly? Marth being revealed at some point was an inevitability. If anything, this helps her, since Marth isn't using his DLC design, the "they dress the same" counterpoint to her is no longer applicable.
Honestly, I don't think the early Marth reveal was helpful for her. Maybe this is me looking a bit too into things, but I think the reveal being too close to the alt. costume reveal may mean something. While the DLC design does help her, I still have this gut feeling.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Gotta love the spin of Lucina supporters. Well, you don't have to but you know what I mean.

I don't get why Lucina would need to be a fragile speedster like Marth. She could easily be beat down type like Roy was in Melee, or another archetype. Based on her in game appearance, she is actually quite durable and her stats change based on who her mother is.

Aside from their headband, if casual player saw them in Smash, it would be hard to see how there would be any confusion. Really, Lucina just has the generic armor that all Fire Emblem lords have.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the proposition of having updates designs for both and Marth and Ike would in general be a beneficial thing in the context of better distinguishing the characters. Marth's design from Fire Emblem: New Mystery of The Emblem and Ike's design from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn have more of a contrast feeling to it, further emphasizing that Marth is the elegant one and Ike being the rough one. This in turn also create more of a contrast with the characters Chrom and Lucina.

I don't get why Lucina would need to be a fragile speedster like Marth. She could easily be beat down type like Roy was in Melee, or another archetype. Based on her in game appearance, she is actually quite durable and her stats change based on who her mother is.
I wouldn't recommend falling back on statistics in order to gain an understanding on how a character would play like, because if you do that there will be inconsistencies. Like Mewtwo being surprisingly weak and Ike not emphasizing speed as a few examples. It has to do more with the design itself, because as I've said before designs and gameplay tend to go hand-in-hand for many fighting games out there.

Regarding to Lucina, I would actually want her to emphasize speed even more then Marth does currently. Not so much a mix of power and speed typical of a beat down character, that seems more natural for Chrom.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I wouldn't recommend falling back on statistics in order to gain an understanding on how a character would play like, because if you do that there will be inconsistencies. Like Mewtwo being surprisingly weak and Ike not emphasizing speed as a few examples. It has to do more with the design itself, because as I've said before designs and gameplay tend to go hand-in-hand for many fighting games out there.

Regarding to Lucina, I would actually want her to emphasize speed even more then Marth does currently. Not so much a mix of power and speed typical of a beat down character, that seems more natural for Chrom.
That was just an example. What I was saying is there is nothing within the gameplay of Fire Emblem: Awakening that suggest she inhabits the same role as Marth. Of course, Sakurai is free to change things up. I think Sakurai does look at the character's role in their respective games, but he doesn't limit himself to that as well. It's not a stat to stat conversion, but that doesn't mean the stats don't influence his design.

Really, as with most characters, Lucina is a blank canvas that can fit whatever Sakurai wants to balance the game. And in this situation, Chrom wouldn't factor in because I'm saying if she was the third Fire Emblem rep.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So it turns out that Earlier this week was the 10th anniversary of FE's release in the west. Perhaps that could have influenced the decision of when to reveal him?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Haven't been on this thread in a while, and since Marth was revealed to return, it seemed to be the perfect time. Anyways, kinda irrelevant, but it seems by the comparisons of the Brawl and Wii U model, it seemed Marth got a haircut, I believe, nothing interesting, but just felt like mentioning it.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm so happy Marth got revealed (not that I doubted him or anything -- I was more or less excited to see what design he'll have).

And I totally love Marth's new design. He's looking fabulous as always. ;)

and thank goodness he does. I mean if he looked unattractive like ew I'd drop him in a heartbeat!... jk jk

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
NOOOOO I MADE MARTH CRY! HOW COULD I BE SO INCONSIDERATE!! :facepalm: I-I'm so sorry! :(

That's actually a cute pic btw. Did you make it yourself? O.o

Actually, I recently went to an anime convention (last Sunday). There were many artists that take commissions. And one artist got my attention, so I asked her to do a digital commission print. A FE commission to be exact. Not gonna tell which characters are involved (yes "characters" -- two of my faves actually) as I'm sure you can probably already guess. >.> lol

But man, if it wasn't for Smash, I don't even know if I'd be a FE fan today. I'm actually so grateful for the Smash series in that sense (and for introducing other series as well).

*sigh* Do you think it's foolish to still hope that Marth (or any other FE character) will get a FE Awakening alt costume?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
*sigh* Do you think it's foolish to still hope that Marth (or any other FE character) will get a FE Awakening alt costume?
Not at all, I think it is possible, to have alt. costumes for other characters besides the obvious ones, and I hope we will get Lucina in some shape or form playable in the game.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Vanguard Ike or Lord Ike it would be really awesome to play with either....

Lord Ike:

Vanguard Ike:

Hero Ike:

( Hero Ike sure looks good too and that Sword is just amazing it's called the "Ettard" )

So now which variation is your favorite ?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Vanguard Ike or Lord Ike it would be really awesome to play with either....

Lord Ike:

Vanguard Ike:

Hero Ike:

( Hero Ike sure looks good too and that Sword is just amazing it's called the "Ettard" )

So now which variation is your favorite ?
Considering that I did not know about Ike before Brawl, I choose Lord Ike. He's the one I'm most familiar with. I prefer Ranger Ike more than all of them, though.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Considering that I did not know about Ike before Brawl, I choose Lord Ike. He's the one I'm most familiar with. I prefer Ranger Ike more than all of them, though.

It is your opinion, for me I think Ranger Ike doesn't grasp what Ike is all about in SSB. he looks too scrawny, that's why Ike never held the Ragnell when he was in his ranger uniform, his Ranger uniform shows the Rookie side of Ike while his Lord uniform shows him as a Master at work, but what really grasp his SSB. heavy hitting ability is his Radiant Dawn outfit preferably the Vanguard one, still his Hero self does give a middle ground to work with where he is buffed and looks like someone who'd make you fly with one hit and still has remnants of his Ranger look.

So in the end I go with:

He is fierce and powerful which is a better protrayal of what he got up his sleeve,and the only advantage he has over Vanguard is the fact he has remnants of Ike's ranger outfit so people can recognize him

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think whatever the official appearance of Ike was throughout Radiant Dawn will be his appearance in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom