• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
Yo, imagine if Sakurai gives every FE fighter a fire based B special for no apparent reason. So like, everyone has different flame colours:

Marth = purple flames (cuz fabulous) <-- and why does Marth glow less purple in when he uses Sheild Breaker in Brawl? :c
Roy = red
Ike = blue
Chrom = yellow (cuz he has the power of corn, and corn's yellow)
Lyn = green
etc etc

I really like this idea.

Make it real, Sakurai.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Hey, you guys probably don't care, but over in lonekonwolf's dream roster contest I'm the only one who has the entire Fire Emblem weapon triangle represented, but I'm currently losing. If you wanna see the weapon triangle continue and possibly be in the winning roster, please go vote in the latest poll. Don't forget, you're voting for whom you want to eliminate.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Hey, you guys probably don't care, but over in lonekonwolf's dream roster contest I'm the only one who has the entire Fire Emblem weapon triangle represented, but I'm currently losing. If you wanna see the weapon triangle continue and possibly be in the winning roster, please go vote in the latest poll. Don't forget, you're voting for whom you want to eliminate.
The weapon triangle still ignores half of fire emblem's weapon choices.

I really like Hector and Ephraim though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't forget all types of mounted units either. Horses, pegasi, dragons...

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think representing the weapons triangle in itself is important. Removed from the context of tactics, and the weapons triangle is just a collection of three weapons. There are other factors to consider when adding Fire Emblem reps.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fire Emblem discussion is always hot. One would argue it's all about war!

:cool:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, which includes talking about waifus and husbandos and I really hate that ****.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So guize, I was in a Smash stream recently (not RoM 6, but that doo doo was hype doe) and we were talking about Fire Emblem characters.
They said Roy, in his games, is probably one of the worst/weakest units/lords in the series, and has to be babied the whole time.
Funny thing, I don't seem to remember this being brought up here, I only remember Marth's non promotion and Leif's (?) badness as a character.
GEE, I WONDER WHY.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So guize, I was in a Smash stream recently (not RoM 6, but that doo doo was hype doe) and we were talking about Fire Emblem characters.
They said Roy, in his games, is probably one of the worst/weakest units/lords in the series, and has to be babied the whole time.
Funny thing, I don't seem to remember this being brought up here, I only remember Marth's non promotion and Leif's (?) badness as a character.
GEE, I WONDER WHY.
Marth is only bad in FE3 Book 1 and FE11. In FE1 he's an absolute game breaker thanks to the games ridiculous stat boosters.

Can't say much for Leif, but I can say that he does have some utility thanks to not being subject to fatigue, the Light Sword(which doubles as a 60 use prf Vulnerary). Plus, from my brief experience with the game he actually seemed to by somewhat fast. Plus he has Leadership.

Edit: Not that being a "bad" unit matters. If it did, Pikachu and Jigglypuff wouldn't be in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Marth was an awesome unit in FE12 at least. Leaf is weak cause FE5 is hard as ****, but his Light Sword actually is really damn useful.

Roy can be decent, but he just promotes late and has loltroll growthrates. Which makes him prone to getting screwed over. Then again, this is quite a common thing in FE6 in general, so it goes more against the game than Roy himself. His Sword of Seals is awesome as **** though, but only has 20 uses which I still frown my head for whenever I think of it. And his late promotion will make him useless for at least 4~5 chapters EVEN IF Roy ends up being good (and for me, he usually does actually) cause he can't get experience and you'll want to have it for your other characters. He makes for a good meatshield though, cause he can dodge pretty well with his high Luck, so I always find use for Roy but he's definitely a character who needs special treatment in a way...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Gee, Roy getting screwed over by the random number generator. You know who else gets screwed by the random number generator? His father. Kind of funny in context.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Gee, Roy getting screwed over by the random number generator. You know who else gets screwed by the random number generator? His father. Kind of funny in context.
Yeah but Eliwood gets a horse. :p

Actually, it's kinda funny: Roy has the same Str and HP growths as Lance, and a higher Luck, Def, and Res growth. and their averages are pretty close as well. Yet Lance is considered one of the best characters in the game, while Roy is bashed as being horrible and useless. Really it's that late promotion that holds him back.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What's that man, emotional blackmailing? Am sorry you lost though, but I just came in.

And yes Eliwood gets screwed by the RNG Goddess to. Guess it runs in the family. Really wish Roy had Eliwood's Strenght caps though.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
What's that man, emotional blackmailing? Am sorry you lost though, but I just came in.

And yes Eliwood gets screwed by the RNG Goddess to. Guess it runs in the family. Really wish Roy had Eliwood's Strenght caps though.

The funny thing is Eliwood always turnout fine for me, I'm a big fan of Eliwood but Roy never turned ok atleast Eliwood can be a supreior lance user and he has a Horse which makes him much more usable...Eliwood > Roy....Fire Emblem 7 is amazing with Hector and Eliwood partnership I destroy armies.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The funny thing is Eliwood always turnout fine for me, I'm a big fan of Eliwood but Roy never turned ok atleast Eliwood can be a supreior lance user and he has a Horse which makes him much more usable...Eliwood > Roy....Fire Emblem 7 is amazing with Hector and Eliwood partnership I destroy armies.
Yeah, the thing with Eliwood is that he is fine, but the other 2 lords are much better most of the time.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That was awesome beyond words. If Chrom gets in Smash, I hope he gets to talk Engrish to.

Rather have Roy though,

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Actually Chrom's blandness isn't because he was a character that you can't develop, but it's because the lazy writing behind him, it seems they wanted to please all kind of players with him so they made him as bland as possible which to upset a few but doesn't make him hated it's basic writing.

To be honest it would've been awesome if he had the personality of Gintoki which will make far more entertaining as a character.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Graded with the same scale as Chrom, they're all pretty bland.

What we're really concerned with here is the scenarios the surround the character. Look at Ike. There is no colorful personality that has made him popular as his is now. What does help him is the situations we attribute to ike. Leader of the Greil mercenaries, weilds the sword Ragnell, nemesis to the black knight, friend to the laguz, Loyal to crimea. Basically the story of the games has much to do with it, not his personality.

Now when we look at chrom. Not being set in a different world or having a different sword from Marth does little to make him come off as unique. Maybe without the comparison to other lords, these could be assets to chrom's character but they wont be for FE fans. Where else did IS go wrong?
They could have put more emphasis on his father, maybe throw in a flashback or two. Doing so could have helped us emphasize with chrom and possibly set up gangrel to be even more a nemesis to chrom.
Showing any sort of life as a ylissean noble would have helped. Being a political leader can't be all sugars and rainbows.
Sorta what I said earlier. Have an antagonist to Chrom. An antagonist will bring out a lot of the protagonist. Yet in the game nobody really has anything personal against chrom. Gangrel was the closest one to this description but he died after chapter 10 or something. Walhart just happens to include Chrom's country on the places to conquer list and Validar really only needs one of Chrom friends. It almost seems like Chroms a bystander to the events of Awakening. Imagine PoR without the black knight. Ashnard may have been the final boss but he doesn't really make a good villain for Ike.

I could go on for a while. Awakening wasn't nearly as detailed as it needs to be. Overall, the story felt rushed and crammed. But what does this all mean for smashbros?

Nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom