• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You get no Sympathy in a "Fire Emblem Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Bonus exp is only really worthy when the characters already have almost all stats capped. I mostly use BEXP just before Part 4 Endgame, using it solely on the 10 characters you must select for the last maps.

During the rest of the game, I find other methods to level up characters. I remember in my last playthrough using low level weapons even when I could use higher level weapons, just to gain more experience for the units. Of course, it would make the maps longer to complete, but the characters would become more powerful than if I had used stronger weapons. That's how I managed to have the entire Dawn Brigade promoted by the end of Part 1.

I also remember doing a trick in Oliver's chapter to level up Tormod more than 20 levels and promote him. I finished the chapter with all characters at the same level as Oliver (around Lv10-12 after the second promotion). It took a long time to finish, though.
Bexp is better used on tier 2 to cap stats so you reach your tier 2 stat caps. Afterwards you'd have to be massively RNG screwed to not cap the rest of your stats with 20 levels

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Marth is Darth! Marth is Darth! Marth Marth Marth! :marth:

Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! :roymelee:

We like Ike! We like Ike! :ike:

Chrom's the bomb! Chrom's the bomb! [Insert Chrom pic here]

I'd love all four reps to be playble. :c

Walzern

Smash Rookie
Why does Chrom keep on being suggested?

He's not the most important character in the game. And there already is Ike.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
>Implying they'd play the same

Ike can put of being strong and slow with his rough fighing style. Chrom can't.

Next.

Also Croph, that was a pretty clever shout for Chrom. :p

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Haha, but I shouldn't take credit for it, I found the cheer on teh Internetz. But it makes sense, like what else rhymes (implying that his cheer will rhyme if he gets in, which would be awesome) with Chrom? Mom? Chrom's the Mom! Chrom's the Mom!? Psalm? A Psalm for Chrom!?...Chrom or go in an Asylum! Dunno lol.

Walzern

Smash Rookie
>Implying they'd play the same
Ganondorf.

Ike can put of being strong and slow with his rough fighing style. Chrom can't.
Krom was based on Ike. He even has Aether.

Even if Krom gets in, he'll replace Ike. Really think we'll get both of them?

And Krom still isn't the most important character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganondorf?

Wolf.

Chrom's Aether is not the same as Ike's. And he's as much based on Marth as he's based on Ike.

And yes, I'm positive we'll see at least Marth, Ike and Chrom.

:phone:

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of the importance, Chrom is the face of Fire Emblem Awakening, which is what matters most for his inclusion. I honestly don't want all three (four with Roy), but the characters I do want aren't that likely all in all, so I'm expecting to see some combination of Marth and then the other three.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm sure Ike won't be cut, whether Chrom gets in or not. There'll just be a big backlash. Plus if any FE 13 lord gets in, I'm betting it will be Chrom. He's popular and he even tied first on a FE 13 popularity poll.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike has such an unique style though, Chrom couldn't replace him fully. Ike's style is very rough and wild, and he also uses a lot of jumping strikes. Chrom's (from what I've seen) is much more graceful. Though not quite Marth yet.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Tied with who? And I think they can make all four (assuming a hypothetical Roy as well) unique. I'm just kind of against that being FE's representation. Personally want to see more villains, but the odds of that happening are slim.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm cool with Roy being a Luigi-fied Marth and Chrom a Luigi-fied Ike if they do it well enough.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Bored and because I think this thread could use a good starting discussion:

ToiseofChoice said:
Toise's Super Money Pick:

Marth
Ike
Roy

No discussion on Marth because it's totally unnecessary.

Regarding Ike: Yes, it's possible that he could leave on the grounds that, well, anything's possible. I'm still ruling it out. If you care for a more in-depth explanation, query away.

*** Roy ***

Right now, Roy's the most likely 3rd character for Fire Emblem (should the series get one). Since I've decided that most people are completely ******** about FE in general and Roy in particular, this thread is mostly gonna be about him.

Q: But Roy's not popular!
A: Yes, he is. Being in Melee did far more for his popularity than any FE game could do for anyone. Yes, not being in Brawl puts Ike ahead of him, but that's about it. No, being an AT didn't do nearly as much for Lyn as being playable did for Marth/Roy/Ike.

Q: But FE fans hate Roy.
A: Nope. Most of the "hate" comes from being a clone/swordsman/male/low-tier character, so we've got a vocal minority that wants someone new. Problem is, nobody can agree on who would be better. Every fan poll has Roy as the highest-voted candidate from Fire Emblem. And that's from the fanbase that actually knows Fire Emblem history.

Q: Couldn't anyone have been done what Roy did in Melee?
A: Probably, assuming they were designed well.

Q: Wait, so doesn't being "made" by Smash kinda cheapen his popularity?
A: Nope. Popularity is popularity, no matter what reason. Roy's not the only nobody to become a star just because of Smash anyway, so meh.

Q: So why not just introduce someone new if fans will eat that up too?
A: This would be a lot easier had Roy never been introduced or if people didn't really care for him after Melee. It's that general "you never forget your first love" type of thing.

Q: Well, what if another new guy comes along?
A: Then Roy's got some serious competition. Entirely possible, but I personally don't expect it at this point. Intelligent Systems (the Fire Emblem team) has made two remakes in the last few years and has stated that they've been thinking about others beyond FE1 and FE3. Barring that, Narihiro (head of IS) has said he wants to make some kind of Fire Emblem All-Stars game. We're probably due for some FE general news soon either way.

Q: Does any of that mean anything for Roy?
A: The staff mentioned remakes for FE4 (because of the whole marriage system) and FE6 (specifically so that Roy could have a proper international game). If we get Narihiro's all-star game, Roy would probably be headlining alongside Marth and Ike (that's another Super Toise $50 Wager, by the way).

Q: Roy in Melee was an advertisement and nothing more.
A: Unproven and almost definitely false given Sakurai's attitude towards character selection -- which, by the way, is entirely his decision. I'm too lazy to start adding links to Sakurai interviews and the old Melee dojo-equivalent right now, but I'll dig them up if someone asks.

Q: We can't bring back characters who were cut.
A: Cutting characters is new for this series and something Sakurai has never talked about. But if other roster-based series are any indication, you're way off base.

*** Other stuff ***

New Guy: Well, this is a wait and see kinda thing. Can we get one? Definitely. Will they be any good? Eh, probably. Will they be female or use something other than a sword? I doubt it, but it's possible. No, Caeda doesn't count.

Old Characters: They're all equally irrelevant, but if you think you realistically justify them besides "why I like this guy," go for it.

Three Fire Emblem characters: Assuming you believe in all the scrapped Brawl data to mean that Roy and Mewtwo were supposed to be in the game (and you should, because I do), then Sakurai already had no problem with three for FE in time for Brawl. Three in SSB4 isn't quite so ridiculous, assuming other neglected series get some lovin', anyway.
Is kinda old (was posted July 2011) but it's still pretty relevant, if this starts a good discussion I'll try and dig up some more recent arguments from him among other members of the Discussion Groups.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toise was only around when FE13 had nearly no information released though. He dismissed Chrom for no good reasons. And he's FAR TOO conservative in his predictions and again, he's no Smash Messiah.

D

Deleted member

Uh, "Chrom's the Bomb" doesn't work.
His name is pronounced as "Chrome".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom enters the Dome. :cool:

That should be the line that should be included on the new Dojo at his reveal update.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I see Chrom as more likely than Roy. But Roy can still get in easily after him.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Toise was only around when FE13 had nearly no information released though. He dismissed Chrom for no good reasons. And he's FAR TOO conservative in his predictions and again, he's no Smash Messiah.
Hense why I said this is a good way to start up discussion and that I'd dig up some more recent things from people besides him, not that he wasn't around for Japan's release to give comments on it. :smirk:

Anyway no one thinks he's a Messiah, it's just a tern coined by Kuma due to the tension between them. Have any of you actually seen his betting roster (two F-Zero characters, Mona, and Professor Layton)?
The only agreed upon roster people were able to decide upon was mine actually.
He does however make some really good points and is good at starting up discussion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh Kuma called him a Messiah to? :rolleyes: Sorry, made that one up on my own though.

It's mostly cause everyone seemed to call him 'the most intelligent poster with the best roster'. While it's basically Brawl's roster with Mewtwo, Roy and a few personal choices.

Am curious about your roster though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh Kuma called him a Messiah to? :rolleyes: Sorry, made that one up on my own though.

It's mostly cause everyone seemed to call him 'the most intelligent poster with the best roster'. While it's basically Brawl's roster with Mewtwo, Roy and a few personal choices.

Am curious about your roster though.
Toise would often enter into Kuma vs. SmashChu fights siding with the latter, so there's a lot of tension and butthurt between them. Honestly the Messiah joke applies more towards Chrono now. :laugh:

He's intelligent, but that doesn't mean he can't have his own crazy roster like the rest of us. As for my roster we debated in the Discussion Group character by character for a quite a while, lasting a couple threads, eventually without realizing it we ended up at my roster once we hit the agreed upon character limit. Of course that was just the first draft which we have had no time to go back and revise just yet.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
As am I. And not surprising, though it looks like it's most popular male/female, not most popular overall. Kind of makes me wonder how that'd split if they did it differently. And I honestly have a hard time seeing her in this over Chrom. Nothing against her (though I'm immensely so if people suggest Marth be cut and she be a replacement, which is worse than the Chrom to Ike comparison), just don't see her as more likely than Chrom, and if Chrom gets in I have a hard time seeing her as the fourth FE rep. If I had to pick someone else from Awakening she wouldn't even be the rep I'd go with.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah maybe it is male vs female poll now that I think about it. It does kinda look like it. But like I said before, I see Chrom more likely for a FE 13 rep. Although, there are so many other unique lords and whatnot. Heh, and all the other FE reps I'd love to see don't really have a chance (barring Roy).

I'm hoping at least someone uses a lance/axe for a nice change, although I'm not saying we're lacking variety overall. But I think it would be really cool.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Ephraim and Hector are the only FE Lords that really specialize in Lance/Axe (respectively), most others are more known for using a sword. And a non-Lord getting in is incredibly unlikely. Personally I'd like to see Micaiah for more magic using, but that isn't too likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toise would often enter into Kuma vs. SmashChu fights siding with the latter, so there's a lot of tension and butthurt between them. Honestly the Messiah joke applies more towards Chrono now. :laugh:

He's intelligent, but that doesn't mean he can't have his own crazy roster like the rest of us. As for my roster we debated in the Discussion Group character by character for a quite a while, lasting a couple threads, eventually without realizing it we ended up at my roster once we hit the agreed upon character limit. Of course that was just the first draft which we have had no time to go back and revise just yet.
Well, am not accepted in that group yet so can't even check it if I wanted to. (I have tried btw)

Chrono never really seems arrogant though. Toise did.

Lucina does seem a bit less likely. Mostly cause of the 'Masked Marth' issue...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Once you start seeing some of Toise's posts besides the ones he makes here in ****** City, he's mostly that wise cracking old guy at the end of the room. You'd be surprised at how much we disagree with him, only things we truly agree with him on are Zelda, DK, Metroid, and on how Sakurai will handle content and basic game development.

Anyway here's my roster and here's Toise's. You don't have to agree, I myself at sometimes don't, just try not to turn this into a roster thread (not that we don't have one of those already, though no one really uses it for that...).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, yeah, I can see why you're roster seems to be the most agreed upon one. But still disagree with it.

Fire Emblem needs 4 reps though.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Anyway here's my roster and here's Toise's. You don't have to agree, I myself at sometimes don't, just try not to turn this into a roster thread (not that we don't have one of those already, though no one really uses it for that...).
May I ask why you guys chose Marth, Ike, and Roy, but not Chrom, if we do get 3 FE reps? I know a lot of people want Chrom over Roy, but you know me. I'd prefer it if Roy gets in. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People where REALLY giving me **** for saying Chrom is more likely than Roy before. Yet it's quickly becoming one of the most accepted beliefs around nowadays. Same with Impa being suggested A LOT more. Where are thou oppresors? :smirk:

I really like Roy to. And hope he makes it back. Just don't think he'll make it before Chrom. But that doesn't mean he won't make it at all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd prefer Roy over Chrom, but seeing as Chrom is more likely, I want to see him with moveset rivaling Ike's level of awesome.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I think the big issue is that four FE reps who all feel so... similar, kind of bugs me. Mostly since FE has a lot to offer, so I'd prefer the representatives be slightly more diverse. But the ones who would diversify the roster without being too unlikely (and they do exist) aren't going to happen.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well, yeah, I can see why you're roster seems to be the most agreed upon one. But still disagree with it.

Fire Emblem needs 4 reps though.
Honestly was thinking about removing Goroh/Zoroark/Mii and putting in Chrom.

May I ask why you guys chose Marth, Ike, and Roy, but not Chrom, if we do get 3 FE reps? I know a lot of people want Chrom over Roy, but you know me. I'd prefer it if Roy gets in. :p
Surprisingly we haven't gotten into that issue all that much ever since the game came out in Japan, but it'll probably come up again soon enough now that the game's out. For the most part it's the stuff that Toise said that I posted on the last page in combination with Chrom's heavy relation to Marth, sales don't matter, etc.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
Keep Marth and Ike.
Bring Roy back, make his moveset more unique.
Introduce Lyn and Micaiah as playable characters.
Introduce Ayra and Chrom as Assist Trophies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Keep Marth and Ike.
Bring Roy back, make his moveset more unique.
Introduce Lyn and Micaiah as playable characters.
Introduce Ayra and Chrom as Assist Trophies.
5 FE character? 0_o

Goodness....

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And that too without Chrom. lol.
So true....

I see it happening two ways...

We get Marth, Ike and a revamped Roy.

Or we get Marth, Ike and Chrom.

Michiah and Lyn are not likely in the slightest.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
5 FE character? 0_o

Goodness....
Why not? ^_^
They all have the potential to have unique movesets.
And to me, Smash 4's roster shouldn't boast any less than 55 characters.

Brawl's going from 25 to 35 playable characters was pathetic, frankly.
Hopefully they can get more done this time around.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Playable: Marth, Ike, Roy/Chrom, or Marth, Ike, Roy, Chrom,
ATs: Lyn, Triangle Attack,
Alternates: Marth?/Lucina, Paris or FE9 Ike, Eliwood, Great Lord Chrom,
Stages: Dragon's Altar (FE3/12/13), Grima (FE13),

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They all have the potential to have unique movesets.
And to me, Smash 4's roster shouldn't boast any less than 55 characters.
Brawl's going from 25 to 35 playable characters was pathetic, frankly.
Hopefully they can get more done this time around.
Unfortunately, Sakurai is thinking the opposite... -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom